LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what the vision requirements are for the locomotive engineer trainee or assistant conductor trainee?

I wear glasses. The test was a near sighted test and a color test. The famous numbers in the circle. And they also check your peripheral vision. As for the specs. Not sure. I took the test with and without my glasses. Passed both times.

Thanks drenyce311 for a logical answer. I'm guessing it's the stand from 10 feet, put one hand over one eye and read the snellen eye chart type of thing...I know you may not like to discuss salary over the forum which is perfectly fine but ur paid phase 2 training without quoting figures was it 70% of your top pay or something different?

Thanks drenyce311. I'm taking the entrance exam at hiberian hall next Thursday. I read that the math and vocabulary are a joke but what did you think of the cognitive? Is it a brain buster? Someone also said that if you have half a brain u will pass. Can't afford to fail this early in the process. Lol.

Thanks drenyce311. I'm taking the entrance exam at hiberian hall next Thursday. I read that the math and vocabulary are a joke but what did you think of the cognitive? Is it a brain buster? Someone also said that if you have half a brain u will pass. Can't afford to fail this early in the process. Lol.

it's not a brain buster. But you need common sense to pass it. Your not gonna finish the whole test but those who say they finished it. Never make it to the next step. There's no way to prepare for it. Just go in relax and take READ the instructions and what they're asking of you to do.

Hello everyone, so I am curious as to what happens after the panel interview. Is it that the next call you receive from them would be about informing you that you are in the pool of applicants or that you will be invited to phase 1 of the training program? I thought the waiting game started after the S&D test. Any answers would be appreciated, thank you.

I went for my interview in September. I am hopeful that I will be included in the next phase one class. It seems to be about a five to six month wait after the interview.

I too wish you the best in making it to phase one. Have you been studying the material just in case? Is that what they told you or you know others who have gotten into the class? Thank you for responding. 

I was told in September, after my interview that the next class would most likely start in February. The people on this forum who were invited, I believe, were from the interview round before mine. I have been studying. I picked my cards up last month and go over them like three times a week. did you say you were interviewed? Or waiting for results and interview?

I was told in September, after my interview that the next class would most likely start in February. The people on this forum who were invited, I believe, were from the interview round before mine. I have been studying. I picked my cards up last month and go over them like three times a week. did you say you were interviewed? Or waiting for results and interview?

I was interviewed. I had my panel interview a little over two weeks ago. They called me 12 days after the S&D test to tell me that I passed and to choose a time slot out of two options of when I wanted to come. When I went to the S&D overview, the training coordinator said that there would be training classes every 3 months starting January, so maybe the next one is in May. I felt like I bombed the panel interview though so I wouldn't be surprised if I get that rejection letter lol. 

I was interviewed. I had my panel interview a little over two weeks ago. They called me 12 days after the S&D test to tell me that I passed and to choose a time slot out of two options of when I wanted to come. When I went to the S&D overview, the training coordinator said that there would be training classes every 3 months starting January, so maybe the next one is in May. I felt like I bombed the panel interview though so I wouldn't be surprised if I get that rejection letter lol.

Be optimistic dude.

• 2 weeks later...

I got invited to the open house April 6th for locomotive engineer trainee! Is there anyone who has gone through it that has any tips? Any study tips to pass the entrance exam ?

Do a little research in this exact thread. There is a good amount of info in here all about the Engineer program. To answer your question there is nothing to study or no method to prepare. Just make sure you get there early and follow the directions of the test. Good luck

I just wish the Babylon branch had 2 more train in service within the 5-6 am schedule. The only train that will get me there on time is the 5:16 am train from Jamaica; I would get there too early though (a whole hour and 30 mins) But any train after that won't get me there on time lol. A 6:15 am train or somewhere around that would've been great. Oh well...