LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, CarlosMQ said:

@MistaFISH what’s going on man congrats on passing phase one. When do you start phase ll?

Thank you. Just finished my second medical last week and did the background check. We start at the end of the month. Looking forward to it. Getting paid to study is much better than the phase 1 deal of working your regular job and studying for the rest of the day. It wasn't easy, but it's definitely do-able. Don't let anyone fool you. Study study study.

7 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

Thank you. Just finished my second medical last week and did the background check. We start at the end of the month. Looking forward to it. Getting paid to study is much better than the phase 1 deal of working your regular job and studying for the rest of the day. It wasn't easy, but it's definitely do-able. Don't let anyone fool you. Study study study.

I know what you mean. That’s awesome, what’s the second medical consist of, I can’t wait to get called for phase l, I’m playing the waiting game right now, and I’m still studying my Signal and Definitions cards making sure I stay on top of them. Good luck in Phase ll.

1 hour ago, Train123 said:

Nicee! How was it ? What kind is questions were asked? And did they say when next class would be 

I think it was good I was pretty nervous, It was an HR Rep and road foreman, before you go in they give you a few papers to go over which Consist of the job descriptions and also Rlue G which they ask you about. When they ask you about rule G they want to see how many you can remember, believe I said them all, also they don’t have to be verbatim..lol then questions about team work, job description, causalities (they want to know if you can deal with it well and come to work after a accident) if you go back on this forum someone posted up some questions they they may ask you, I remember hearing 95% of those questions I’ll try to find the page number. I went through the whole 38 pages of the forum and came across those questions who ever posted that thanks very helpful, they also mentioned a class starts every 3 months so I’m guessing sometime in the summer what step are you on?

Edited by CarlosMQ

23 hours ago, CarlosMQ said:

I know what you mean. That’s awesome, what’s the second medical consist of, I can’t wait to get called for phase l, I’m playing the waiting game right now, and I’m still studying my Signal and Definitions cards making sure I stay on top of them. Good luck in Phase ll.

The second medical is the same as the first: Eye exam, color blind test and physical agilities test.Plus a hearing exam,EKG, sleep apnea questionnaire (they'll decide if you fit the criteria for sleep apnea, if not, they won't test you for it) and the drug test. Not too bad.

9 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

The second medical is the same as the first: Eye exam, color blind test and physical agilities test.Plus a hearing exam,EKG, sleep apnea questionnaire (they'll decide if you fit the criteria for sleep apnea, if not, they won't test you for it) and the drug test. Not too bad.

Thanks for the information, how long is the wait from phase l to phase ll, Just curious because of my current job. Thanks again 

6 hours ago, CarlosMQ said:

Thanks for the information, how long is the wait from phase l to phase ll, Just curious because of my current job. Thanks again 

Depends. My class transitioned in 2-3 week period. Others have waited longer than that. “DO NOT” put your two weeks in until HR calls you And this might be 1 week before class starts. Also keep in mind just because you passed phase 1 doesn’t mean you’ll be in the next phase 2 class. There’s other people waiting to get into a phase 2 class. You might just be in the following class. 

Hello everyone, I had my S&D overview last saturday and I finished making all the index cards for the material. Any tips on how to get this stuff memorized? Have 5 weeks until the test want to make the most of my time.

10 hours ago, CarlosMQ said:

Anytime. Just as @drenyce311 has stated, it really depends. We transitioned in about a month. It's all different though. Definitely take his advice and don't give your two weeks at your present job until you're past the second medical and the background check and you've gotten that call. 

Also, they don't " have to " give you two weeks for your present employer like everyone assumes. Sometimes it's less.

3 hours ago, flydog said:

Hello everyone, I had my S&D overview last saturday and I finished making all the index cards for the material. Any tips on how to get this stuff memorized? Have 5 weeks until the test want to make the most of my time.

Read, write and recite the definitions. Make voice recordings and put them on your phone if possible. Listen to them at work or wherever. Just keep going over the signals on the flash cards. Go back and read through this thread and you'll find alot of advice on the topic....Good Luck.

13 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Depends. My class transitioned in 2-3 week period. Others have waited longer than that. “DO NOT” put your two weeks in until HR calls you And this might be 1 week before class starts. Also keep in mind just because you passed phase 1 doesn’t mean you’ll be in the next phase 2 class. There’s other people waiting to get into a phase 2 class. You might just be in the following class. 

Thanks again bro

9 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

Anytime. Just as @drenyce311 has stated, it really depends. We transitioned in about a month. It's all different though. Definitely take his advice and don't give your two weeks at your present job until you're past the second medical and the background check and you've gotten that call. 

Also, they don't " have to " give you two weeks for your present employer like everyone assumes. Sometimes it's less.

Thanks again bro

11 hours ago, Misslowe said:

2018 application for this title is up. So I’m guessing that I’m not gonna get a response until maybe next year. The MTA moves rather slow though in choosing applicants.

It has been extended to 5/25/2018

2 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

I applied 3 years in a row for different positions. I got called a few months after my last application. Just have faith. If you don’t get called. Keep applying when it posts up. 

Edited by drenyce311
Misspelled

Do you think its better to study them in the order given or randomly mix it up and keep adding to what you already know. Any opinion would be appreciated, I'm doing the definitions randomly but the signals are so similar in design its hard to randomly add memory to each one so I think I will study them in groups.

5 hours ago, flydog said:

Do you think its better to study them in the order given or randomly mix it up and keep adding to what you already know. Any opinion would be appreciated, I'm doing the definitions randomly but the signals are so similar in design its hard to randomly add memory to each one so I think I will study them in groups.

I kept the Zone A signals separated while i was learning them bc of the slight differences between their indications and those of the Zone C signals.But mixed up the Zone C cards. Once I knew what was what, i mixed them all up. I got 100%'s all throughout phase 1 on the weekly quizzes. They're burned into my brain. Eventually, mix them up. Good luck.

21 hours ago, Misslowe said:

2018 application for this title is up. So I’m guessing that I’m not gonna get a response until maybe next year. The MTA moves rather slow though in choosing applicants.

They have a lot of applicants. I applied in Apr. 2017. I didn't get an Email until a couple days before thanksgiving. Seven months..not so bad. Since then i've moved through the process pretty quickly. I more or less forgot about it. But I have a feeling that those who apply now will get faster responses. I could def be wrong on that though. Good luck.

8 minutes ago, MistaFISH said:

They have a lot of applicants. I applied in Apr. 2017. I didn't get an Email until a couple days before thanksgiving. Seven months..not so bad. Since then i've moved through the process pretty quickly. I more or less forgot about it. But I have a feeling that those who apply now will get faster responses. I could def be wrong on that though. Good luck.

Oh that's great. Thanks, this response made me feel at ease. I think this will be better instead of being a conductor.

10 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Yeah I applied. :)