LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would know better then me, what's the average age of a LIRR Locomotive Engineer at this point? Not everyone retires just because they can...is it possible they've built up a large group of Engineers who could pull the trigger and retire on them? You're also right on the people interviewing...alot of people are getting cut just from the 1st interview alone.

I believe it's a fairly young roster. A lot of the "senior" jobs are held by guys with a good amount of time left before they retire.

What age are they mostly hiring new trainees at? I recall someone saying that one class had a mixture of applicants in mostly their 30s and 40s.

The classes that are in session now range from mid 20's - mid 30's. There have been trainees that were in their 50's. If you have what they are looking then they will take you, regardless of your age.

Edited by Thunderpants

The classes that are in session now range from mid 20's - mid 30's. There have been trainees that were in their 50's. If you have what they are looking then they will take you, regardless of your age.

So far he's right. I'm 32. My other buddy that passed the test also is 30 I think. A third guy we were studying with was 41. And in the overview there were ALOT of people in their 40s and 50s

Good luck Drenyce...remember Safety Safety Safety.

Yea bro. Safety safety safety.

I am sooooo glad to hear that. I've always known I wanted to be an engineer. I sent my first resume to the LIRR at 14 years old. Their first response to me was a typed letter telling me to reapply when I turned 18.

At 18, I reapplied and got a post card in the mail saying they received my resume. Never got an interview.

I continued to send my resume monthly. At one point in my 20's, I was so desperate for an interview that I tried buying lunch for the employment office. At the time, the office was in a building down the street from Jamaica station. There was little security and you could walk in the building easily. I had no idea how many people worked in the employment office,so I showed up at the office with five pizza pies and my resume attached to the top box. When I walked into the office, I was mortified. There were TWO people working in there! I was so embarrassed, I delivered the pies and resume and left without pitching myself.

Never heard from them.

Another time I sent flowers to the office and had the florist attach my resume. No response.

Eventually, they moved to the current office and started using the DSC portal. I now send my resume regularly, whether they post the position or not.

Now in my 40's, I was starting to think I was getting too old to be accepted. At least I know now I still have some time left.

All I can say is keep applying. Been applying for various positions for the last 3-4 years.82 were invited for the orientation I attended in January. 42 showed up. 32 passed the cognitive and vocabulary exam and were interviewed. 34 were invited to the signals and definition overview, 29 showed up. Signals and definition test day 17 showed up. They said they'll be lucky to even get 5 people to pass the signals and definition. But so far it seems like they're inviting 82 people at a time. Seems like an overview every month. For how long I can't tell you that. Just lucky to even get this far in the process. Like LIRR154 said. Even if you go for your panel interview, it's still not a guarantee. Until the time comes. I will not quit my job until I get a call to start phase 1. Even then I'll continue to work at my current job. If I pass phase 1. Then I'll I'll quit my job for phase 2.

Edited by drenyce311

All I can say is keep applying. Been applying for various positions for the last 3-4 years.82 were invited for the orientation I attended in January. 42 showed up. 32 passed the cognitive and vocabulary exam and were interviewed. 34 were invited to the signals and definition overview, 29 showed up. Signals and definition test day 17 showed up. They said they'll be lucky to even get 5 people to pass the signals and definition. But so far it seems like they're inviting 82 people at a time. Seems like an overview every month. For how long I can't tell you that. Just lucky to even get this far in the process. Like LIRR154 said. Even if you go for your panel interview, it's still not a guarantee. Until the time comes. I will not quit my job until I get a call to start phase 1. Even then I'll continue to work at my current job. If I pass phase 1. Then I'll I'll quit my job for phase 2.

I would advice you if you make it to phase 2 to try to take a leave of absence from your current job instead of just quitting. Phase 2 is where the most drop outs and failures happened.

If could take a leave of absence I would. It's not that simple where I'm at unless it's a medical reason. I'll look into it when I get to work tomorrow. But good advice. But at the same time I'll need to focus too. I'm pretty sure my job will love to have me back if things don't work out.

If could take a leave of absence I would. It's not that simple where I'm at unless it's a medical reason. I'll look into it when I get to work tomorrow. But good advice. But at the same time I'll need to focus too. I'm pretty sure my job will love to have me back if things don't work out.

Do NOT quit your job before or during Phase 1 unless you cannot make it to classes or some reason like that. HR will tell you the same. You do not get paid for Phase 1. It's on your time, not the RR.

They will give you notice before you start phase 2, should you get that far, to quit leave your current employment.

Phase 1 is very very stressful, you don't need the added pressure of a lack of income (unless you live with your parents) or taking the chance of leaving your current employer and not making it to Phase 2.

I would advice you if you make it to phase 2 to try to take a leave of absence from your current job instead of just quitting. Phase 2 is where the most drop outs and failures happened.

And to elaborate on what LIRR 154 stated, if you can pass Phase 1, you can pass the materials part of Phase 2. You have demonstrated at this point what it takes to study and be tested on the material. Most failures and drop outs occur for 2 reasons; train handling and the lifestyle in general. Some people have never even driven a u haul truck and when you put them up front on 800 feet of 2 million lbs of stainless steel doing 80 mph they can't hack it. And working 3pm to 1am one week and then 4am to 3pm the next week AND having to study and maintain your home life burns people out very very quickly.

Edited by Thunderpants

Do NOT quit your job before or during Phase 1 unless you cannot make it to classes or some reason like that. HR will tell you the same. You do not get paid for Phase 1. It's on your time, not the RR.

They will give you notice before you start phase 2, should you get that far, to quit leave your current employment.

Phase 1 is very very stressful, you don't need the added pressure of a lack of income (unless you live with your parents) or taking the chance of leaving your current employer and not making it to Phase 2.

And to elaborate on what LIRR 154 stated, if you can pass Phase 1, you can pass the materials part of Phase 2. You have demonstrated at this point what it takes to study and be tested on the material. Most failures and drop outs occur for 2 reasons; train handling and the lifestyle in general. Some people have never even driven a u haul truck and when you put them up front on 800 feet of 2 million lbs of stainless steel doing 80 mph they can't hack it. And working 3pm to 1am one week and then 4am to 3pm the next week AND having to study and maintain your home life burns people out very very quickly.

That's exactly what I was going to do. Keep my current job during phase 1. Making it to class every week is not a problem. I am an individual who does not like to take off from work or school because I'll feel like I missed something valuable. Thanks for the insight guys. You guys rock. Very informative.

LIRR just listed the locomotive Engineers position on the MTA WEBSITE if anyone is interested.

How does the phase 1 work. I get its on my time, just trying to get a better understanding. Your given study material and come in when you can at least once a week to be tested on it? Does that sum it up or is there more to it?

Edited by IronboundNJT

How does the phase 1 work. I get its on my time, just trying to get a better understanding. Your given study material and come in when you can at least once a week to be tested on it? Does that sum it up or is there more to it?

Phase 1 is every Sat in KO all day and Hillside every Wednesday from 530 - 930 for 4 weeks.

Im sorry KO is Ronkonkoma .

Edited by LIRR 154

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys. Just got the call last week. Panel interview is in the beginning of June. Now to get one of the suits to the cleaners.

Glad to hear it. I applied again for position through the latest post that closed yesterday. We'll see.

Okay so I really only have one concern that I need need real clarity on. I've read online (yes, I know) that the law requires to locomotive engineers to have a minimum of 20/40 vision in one eye WITHOUT corrective lenses. But before the interview, I read in the packet they gave me that the LIRR requires at least 20/40 vision WITH OR WITHOUT corrective lenses. Can anybody clear this up for me? Thank you!