Fare Hike effective March 2014 to $2.75

Javier

The MTA needs to consider more subcontracting in places where outside companies can do the job cheaper than in house work. Not saying to privatize operations itself, but cleaning, security and a few other things are in most other places contracted out. TWU will be against it since everyone down to the station cleaner is civil service and unionized by TWU, but it's standard procedure pretty much everywhere else.

Example-PATH/Port Authority contracts out all cleaning to outside approved small local businesses and security is also contracted out. MTA is between in-house and contract work around the different agencies, but at NYCT all station cleaning, depot security, etc. is done by NYCT in-house work. I would definitely consider PATH stations and PA facilities to be cleaner than the TA's, the contractors will do good work to up their chances of getting renewed and they do that work for much less money than in-house staff. The MTA can also require local small businesses be hired for the work, helping to grow local business. 

Also, the MTA is now authorized to issue design-build contracts, in which the firms all submit their own design variations (within set parameters) and prices, and figure the rest of it out themselves. While this change was issued too late to affect any of the projects currently being built, only time can tell whether this actually results in savings.

Well at $13.00 round trip, at some point those folks may start to think twice about riding, or at least riding less frequently, and that's a start.  :D

Not when you can abuse the loophole by using an unlimited metrocard with cash value on it with a connection to the subway/local bus, cutting that $6.50 fare to a mere $3.25....

A lot of people know about it. It won't deter folks from riding the express bus, including myself.

Not when you can abuse the loophole by using an unlimited metrocard with cash value on it with a connection to the subway/local bus, cutting that $6.50 fare to a mere $3.25....

A lot of people know about it. It won't deter folks from riding the express bus, including myself.

Loophole how?  Riders have always been able to transfer from the subway or local bus to the express bus and vice versa.  If transferring from the subway or local bus to an express bus, you pay the difference between the express bus and the local bus or subway.  You still paid $6.50 total.

Loophole how?  Riders have always been able to transfer from the subway or local bus to the express bus and vice versa.  If transferring from the subway or local bus to an express bus, you pay the difference between the express bus and the local bus or subway.  

Read what I said again, a regular unlimited card with cash fare along with a transfer from a subway/local bus negates the full $6.50 price tag for an express bus ride, it cuts the ride to $3.25, as the subway/local bus ride is paid for by the unlimited card. That's how much you only pay with this method.

With this, you're only paying half for the express bus. A lot of people use this method, it won't deter folks from getting on the express bus when the card merger allows a much cheaper option.

Read what I said again, a regular unlimited card with cash fare along with a transfer from a subway/local bus negates the full $6.50 price tag for an express bus ride, it cuts the ride to $3.25, as the subway/local bus ride is paid for by the unlimited card. That's how much you only pay with this method.

With this, you're only paying half for the express bus. A lot of people use this method, it won't deter folks from getting on the express bus when the card merger allows a much cheaper option.

I wouldn't really call that a loophole.  You're still paying for that unlimited card and an additional fare to ride the express bus, just not the full $6.50 but still...

That's like me when I use my express bus pass for the Hudson Rail Link fare... If I have an unlimited pass then I just pay for the Metro-North fare and don't pay that $2.50 fare, but only if buy an unlimited pass and use it heavily do I really save.

Well at $13.00 round trip, at some point those folks may start to think twice about riding, or at least riding less frequently, and that's a start. :D

I got people riding my bus from our $11.25 zone to our $13.75 zone and they still don't understand the Cell phone Use Is Prohibited. Please use Text Messaging sign.

Had a lady get on my phone talking up a storm that she forgot to pay her fare and when I get her attention, she says "Oh, I'm not supposed to be on the phone, am I?" to which I replied "Ahhhh! The woman is clairvoyant!!! $11.25 please". Silent the whole trip from Denville to New York

I got people riding my bus from our $11.25 zone to our $13.75 zone and they still don't understand the Cell phone Use Is Prohibited. Please use Text Messaging sign.

Had a lady get on my phone talking up a storm that she forgot to pay her fare and when I get her attention, she says "Oh, I'm not supposed to be on the phone, am I?" to which I replied "Ahhhh! The woman is clairvoyant!!! $11.25 please". Silent the whole trip from Denville to New York

We actually don't get people yapping unless it's an Inwood BxM1 which I try to avoid.  Those people in Manhattan don't seem to understand that it's a commuter bus and that you don't talk on them.   <_< The only other time there is noise is if there is a large group that are visiting people who live in Riverdale, but if that becomes an issue, I put in my earbuds, turn up my music and block them out.  

I always find it annoying when women rush to the bus, only to find out that they don't have their Metrocard present, so then you're standing there waiting behind them for an infinite amount of time while they dig through their purse or try to decide which seat they should pick out.

We actually don't get people yapping unless it's an Inwood BxM1 which I try to avoid. Those people in Manhattan don't seem to understand that it's a commuter bus and that you don't talk on them. <_< The only other time there is noise is if there is a large group that are visiting people who live in Riverdale, but if that becomes an issue, I put in my earbuds, turn up my music and block them out.

I always find it annoying when women rush to the bus, only to find out that they don't have their Metrocard present, so then you're standing there waiting behind them for an infinite amount of time while they dig through their purse or try to decide which seat they should pick out.

I was taking the X17 from Brooklyn to Manhattan and this couple held the bus for three minutes trying to get a Metrocard with over $6.00. Smh. I told them to go to 86 Street/4Avenue to the (R) and refill there

The more expensive something is the fewer people there are that buy said item or use said service.... Just the way it works... Fewer people overall means it's highly likely that they'll be fewer obnoxious people.

That is what concerns me with the express bus riders. Obnoxious people aside, which transcends all income groups BTW, but price elasticity is something to seriously consider. Eventually some people will be priced out of express bus services or find it not being cost-efficient at some point as the price increases, which may eventually lead to service reductions.

I never knew this worked! But I am slightly confused. so a 7-Day Unlimited Local & Subway Card that has at least $4 on it will allow me to board the express bus? 

As I understand it, I'm not sure the discount is so substantial. In my analysis, depending on usage of the unlimited card, there's a sunk cost of at least $2.50 as already paid in the $30 card cost (again, less depending on usage) + $3.50 (this is deducted at PPR rates when xfering from subway/local bus), so the effective fare is up to $6.00 (but again less depending on local bus/subway usage overall). I see the $3.50 as a "step-up" charge.

This is fine for the occasional express bus ride if you have a 7-Day Unlimited Subway & Local Bus card, however, at three round trips (in a week), you would be better off with the 7-Day Express Bus Plus card. 

I never knew this worked! But I am slightly confused. so a 7-Day Unlimited Local & Subway Card that has at least $4 on it will allow me to board the express bus? 

As I understand it, I'm not sure the discount is so substantial. In my analysis, depending on usage of the unlimited card, there's a sunk cost of at least $2.50 as already paid in the $30 card cost (again, less depending on usage) + $3.50 (this is deducted at PPR rates when xfering from subway/local bus), so the effective fare is up to $6.00 (but again less depending on local bus/subway usage overall). I see the $3.50 as a "step-up" charge.

This is fine for the occasional express bus ride if you have a 7-Day Unlimited Subway & Local Bus card, however, at three round trips (in a week), you would be better off with the 7-Day Express Bus Plus card. 

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't even bother with pay-per-rides for the express bus because when I do the cost breakdown, even if I don't use the express bus for a day or two, with the amount of times that I use it I could easily be spending $500.00 - 600.00 a month just paying per ride.  The $220.00 - 275.00 a month is peanuts.

That is what concerns me with the express bus riders. Obnoxious people aside, which transcends all income groups BTW, but price elasticity is something to seriously consider. Eventually some people will be priced out of express bus services or find it not being cost-efficient at some point as the price increases, which may eventually lead to service reductions.

Well hey this is NYC, that's the way things work.  Plenty of people have been priced out of the city.  You know what? They move somewhere cheaper, and the people priced out of the express bus will use other cheaper alternatives like the subway or the local buses.

Well hey this is NYC, that's the way things work.  Plenty of people have been priced out of the city.  You know what? They move somewhere cheaper, and the people priced out of the express bus will use other cheaper alternatives like the subway or the local buses.

And then they decide to move to Columbus Circle or Liberty Science Center where everything is a ripoff.

I hope this makes it more simple.

Say you hopped on a local bus or subway, that part of the trip is paid for with the unlimited card and you have a transfer. If you get the express bus, it uses the transfer + pays the remaining balance for the express bus, which would be $3.50. So if you had $4, you'd be in.

I believe this also works in part of Local>Express>Express, such as for example, S79>x1>QM5.

Is bee-line bus affected by this fare as we'll?

I think Bee-Line Buses always follows MTA Fare Hike.

Most likely. Same with NICE being they use the same "Metrocard" as us.

Yes, NICE Bus only going to increase MetroCard fare to $2.75, but will keep cash fare and GoMobile fare to $2.50 according to Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano who promised NICE Bus Riders will not increase cash fare.

Archived