NYDN: $3.15 fare hike maybe possible

We all know the current fare is $2.75. But the New York Daily News says a $3.15 fare hike may be possible if the  (MTA) doesn't get what it needs for it's capital program. 

Story Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-fares-15-percent-agency-isn-bailed-article-1.2201354

What do you think? I think this is ridiculous.  :mellow:

That's the thing with Albany. They don't act. They spend all their time complaing about problems but offer not one solution to fix any of them. And then there are the ones they cause.

How are we supposed to function when we have to rely on a three ring circus masquerading as a government?

The worse bit about this is so many of them are so deeply entrenched that no matter what the MTA does, it's going to be nearly impossible to find a solution because at least one person in Albany will take umbrige with thier plans.

Meanwhile, it's all thier fault. Politicians in general. They are so worried about things like who gets to marry who and stupid plants and guns and who's less of an @$$hole, that they refuse to care about our basic needs. They keep reminding us our transportation infrastructure is failing, but take thier sweet fraking time doing anything about it! And I for one have had it!

It's was only hypothetical, they made a statement about it recently. But of course the media likes to blow it up.

For good reason--one thing I have learned is that when it comes to hikes the hypothetical usually becomes reality.

I could see this hike happening actually...

For good reason--one thing I have learned is that when it comes to hikes the hypothetical usually becomes reality.

I could see this hike happening actually...

It's bound to happen, but reports are making it seem as if it'll happen by the end of the year.

$2.75 is still cheap compared the London Underground we have over here (£4/$6) if you don't have an Oyster card (similar to metro card kinda)

The underground is zoned based. I paid like L 2.20 / 2.30 for a zone 1 to 2 ride. When I was there in Jan  about $3.40 it's $3.00 here for someone paying with cash.. It's $4.00 from Downtown SF to Berkeley on BART. I guess you could look at it as a good deal. 

New York allows unlimited travel for two hours anywhere within the MTA's service area for $2.75. It's a very good deal, especially for the amount of service that is run (if you look over at other cities with cheaper fares, it's generally either not free transfers or less service, or a combination).

Yes, Paris just gave everyone in its metropolitan monthly travel for 76 euros. Their transportation payroll tax is also 12%, and ours is at .35%. Pick your poison.

It's bound to happen, but reports are making it seem as if it'll happen by the end of the year.

I think the whole fare hike thing is ridiculous is the MTA trying to make strap hangers upset or go on strike?

I think the whole fare hike thing is ridiculous is the MTA trying to make strap hangers upset or go on strike?

Perhaps you should talk to the folks upstate, who would rather build an Airtrain to La Guardia than fund the MTA.....

No imagination needed as bi-yearly increases are a thing. 2017 and 2019 will definitely happen if nothing is done. The 2021 increase though, with the addition of Tap & Ride, may in fact change. A new card can mean a whole new fare structure for all I know. Or at least open the door to one.

Time, however irrelevant it is, will tell.

Perhaps you should talk to the folks upstate, who would rather build an Airtrain to La Guardia than fund the MTA.....

Well lets see, what could possibly be the reason behind that? The Airtrain to JFK got built, we're still waiting for the 2nd Ave subway, and the opening of the (7) train extension keeps getting delayed.

The AirTrain was a Port Authority project. It seems like it's slightly easier for them to get things done since the PA serves some of the suburban constituents living outside the city, but within the 25 mile radius of the Statue of Liberty. We all know Albany prefers them.

Well lets see, what could possibly be the reason behind that? The Airtrain to JFK got built, we're still waiting for the 2nd Ave subway, and the opening of the (7) train extension keeps getting delayed.

Clearly the alternative is to build a AirTrain going in the wrong direction to a bunch of stadium parking lots and auto shops.

It would take a while to build in the first place since thereis always a problem with the MTA

Archived