Mayor De Blasio fumes as A train is delayed

Ever since citywide school choice became a thing, getting placed into a zoned school is not exactly the best option (and even then, a lot of people get placed into other zoned schools because of school overcrowding in many neighborhoods; school building and expansion is not keeping up with the demand). Having bus drivers enforce usage would be hard enough, because school-related functions may not be on school days, certain schools have extra days of operation, etc.

I agree that the MTA shouldn't be paying for Metrocards, but I don't think that students should be doing it either. NYCDOE needs to pay the actual cost of these Metrocards; why, after all, do they feel the need to pay the school bus companies whatever the asking price is, but just hand the MTA a flat $90M every year, inflation and enrollment increases be damned? At least then it will give schools themselves the incentive to cut down on abuse.

That would perhaps be a better way of doing things if the parents weren't paying.

I agree that the MTA shouldn't be paying for Metrocards, but I don't think that students should be doing it either. NYCDOE needs to pay the actual cost of these Metrocards; why, after all, do they feel the need to pay the school bus companies whatever the asking price is, but just hand the MTA a flat $90M every year, inflation and enrollment increases be damned? At least then it will give schools themselves the incentive to cut down on abuse.

NYCDOE passed my mind. Why didn't I think of this?

Oh please. The cops are not going to waste their time busting high school dropouts that are using student Metrocards, and the B/O's are told not to do anything more but state the fare and keep it moving to avoid any conflict.

Actually, one cop has stopped me once because I used my student metrocard around the last day of school around 10 last year. It was not even because I wasn't at school. It was because I lookes like I was in my mid 20s and I used a student metrocard. If they could stop me, that won't mean that the cops would let anyone pass through.

He was mad he waited 20 mins for a train, now imagine being delayed just as long while ON the train. Also, a lot here seem to think that more money will fix this. Money doesn't fix everything. They need smarter dispatchers because the QBL is baffling sometimes. 

Dispatcher: Hmm, they're doing trackwork on the express tracks and the (F) is supposed to go express to Jamaica on the local. I see that there is a (F) just before 36th street or at Roosevelt Ave with a local train at Queens Plaza or Roosevelt Ave, let me send the local first!!  :wacko:

This is why people get pissed. Then instead of the Express cruising through with the local behind it, we're stuck behind the local making local stops with the conductor triggering "There's train traffic ahead of us".

Another time something happened on the express tracks, so guess what (E)(F)(M) and (R) trains were going local. Conga line down 6th and 8th Aves. But of course the (M) and (R) were still being fumigated at 71st Ave. :blink: 

Send them to 179th!! You worried about overtime? I suppose being stuck on the road for 40+ mins is better? Send them to 179th, tell the cleaning crews to catch a ride from 71st. Keep the trains on the inner or outer track, whatever, you have room to store them to prevent a back up, and then send them back out or straight to the yard.

And if service backs up enough, send trains express on the local to clear the conga line. (even (M) and (R) trains).

They need more dynamic dispatching to mitigate delays etc. I'm sure this crap happens on other lines also.

Yesterday, I had missed my (A) as soon as I finish walking up the staircase in Mott Av. I waited like 5 minutes for the next one to arrive and by the time it got here, the train didn't leave until 6 minutes later. By the time the train got to Beach 67th, the bridge at Broad Channel was open and the train was halted at the station for about 10 minutes. :angry:

Right , and people say "well leave earlier" little delays can cascade a lot. This is why I hate NICE "Pass-ups".

That would perhaps be a better way of doing things if the parents weren't paying.

Wait, are you saying it's bad because the parents would have to contribute then, or are you saying it's good since not all parents have the means to pay for the rides on a Student metrocard? The point of it is to expand school choice and access for those without transportation, after all.

All lines experience these issues but something got to be done about the (A)

There's so many times I get the (C) n it beats the (A) or come frequent the (C) has 8 minute headway a its no way I should see 2 (C) before the (A) hope this campaigne to review the trains happens soon

I'm late to this conversation but..yeah like most of what people are saying.."Welcome to our world, mayor."

Secondly, I agree that MTA should not be paying for student Metrocards, as VG8 noted, I've seen these cards abused out the ass by high-schoolers. Whether they are cutting class and using it or lending them to friends or family to use. (I've seen college kids use their sister/brother's cards before, because they get them, but their parents drive them to school.)

Wait, are you saying it's bad because the parents would have to contribute then, or are you saying it's good since not all parents have the means to pay for the rides on a Student metrocard? The point of it is to expand school choice and access for those without transportation, after all.

I'm saying that parents should pay period, BUT if that doesn't happen, there needs to be some way to stop their cards from being abused, particularly the whole passing Metrocards out to people who aren't even attending school.  As a taxpayer, I am utterly disgusted by that because it's waste for an agency that is constantly crying broke to begin with.  Kids are welcome to have all of the choice that they want, but ultimately it's the parents who are responsible for taking care of their children.  We as taxpayers already shell out for public school.  If zoned schools aren't good enough, no one is stopping children from going elsewhere, but the parents should be paying for that "choice".  If you're going to argue that taxpayers should be paying for these Metrocards (because we are one way or another since the (MTA) is paying for this), then where does it end in terms of it being "our responsibility"? Do we also have to ensure that these kids are clothed and fed too outside of the school breakfast and lunches that they get?

Actually, one cop has stopped me once because I used my student metrocard around the last day of school around 10 last year. It was not even because I wasn't at school. It was because I lookes like I was in my mid 20s and I used a student metrocard. If they could stop me, that won't mean that the cops would let anyone pass through.

Yeah they do it from time to time in the subways and buses, but it's not a regular thing by any means.

I'm saying that parents should pay period, BUT if that doesn't happen, there needs to be some way to stop their cards from being abused, particularly the whole passing Metrocards out to people who aren't even attending school.  As a taxpayer, I am utterly disgusted by that because it's waste for an agency that is constantly crying broke to begin with.  Kids are welcome to have all of the choice that they want, but ultimately it's the parents who are responsible for taking care of their children.  We as taxpayers already shell out for public school.  If zoned schools aren't good enough, no one is stopping children from going elsewhere, but the parents should be paying for that "choice".  If you're going to argue that taxpayers should be paying for these Metrocards (because we are one way or another since the (MTA) is paying for this), then where does it end in terms of it being "our responsibility"? Do we also have to ensure that these kids are clothed and fed too outside of the school breakfast and lunches that they get?

I'm pretty sure that violates Brown vs. Board of Education, since you would be trapping poor students without the means to pay for transportation inside their neighborhoods. New York has the most segregated school district in the nation as it is.

I'm pretty sure that violates Brown vs. Board of Education, since you would be trapping poor students without the means to pay for transportation inside their neighborhoods. New York has the most segregated school district in the nation as it is.

Trapping poor students? What a load of BS.  Students have a right to an education and there should be nothing wrong with their zoned school in the first place. They are not "entitled" to get free student Metrocards, which seems to be what you're implying.  All I know is all of those "poor kids" with the free Metrocards in my school traveled from God knows where just to walk the halls.  That's a total WASTE of a Metrocard.  If the kids are failing, they should have their Metrocards revoked.

All lines experience these issues but something got to be done about the (A)

There's so many times I get the (C) n it beats the (A) or come frequent the (C) has 8 minute headway a its no way I should see 2 (C) before the (A) hope this campaigne to review the trains happens soon

Last month I caught a (C) at Hoyt and the (A) didn't pass until we were leaving Sheapherd , it waited at Euclid for the connection.

If the (A) and (C) (not just one of the two) are both equalized to 10 minute headways throughout the off-peak, like, let's say an across-platform connection at Broadway Junction northbound for example, then obviously yeah, things would be different than they are now. If you're on the local, the next (A) won't show up until 2 minutes after the local ends at 168. Likewise, if you're on the express, you won't ever catch up to another local ahead. This happened a few times in my perspective. However though, I don't see anything wrong with 10 minute headways on almost every non-isolated line in the system during middays/evenings, especially on weekends, for pretty obvious reasons.

Trapping poor students? What a load of BS.  Students have a right to an education and there should be nothing wrong with their zoned school in the first place. They are not "entitled" to get free student Metrocards, which seems to be what you're implying.  All I know is all of those "poor kids" with the free Metrocards in my school traveled from God knows where just to walk the halls.  That's a total WASTE of a Metrocard.  If the kids are failing, they should have their Metrocards revoked.

They shouldn't be worse than other schools, but they are. That's the entire reason "separate but equal" was struck down in the first place by the Supreme Court. Now, you can say that poor kids don't "deserve" the ability to get to other schools, but the Supreme Court has stated otherwise in its cases, and New York City would almost certainly get sued if it tried to impose that financial burden on students, since for poor students it would lead to de facto segregation in what is already the most segregated school district in the country.

If the mayor just got on the first train that came, he would have gotten there on time. Why on earth would he let TWO (C) 's pass him??? Just shows what an amateur he is at riding the subway!

Yeah, at least Bloomberg would take the (6) sometimes over the (4) (well, from what I've heard anyway)

They shouldn't be worse than other schools, but they are. That's the entire reason "separate but equal" was struck down in the first place by the Supreme Court. Now, you can say that poor kids don't "deserve" the ability to get to other schools, but the Supreme Court has stated otherwise in its cases, and New York City would almost certainly get sued if it tried to impose that financial burden on students, since for poor students it would lead to de facto segregation in what is already the most segregated school district in the country.

I don't see how NYC would be sued when it's the (MTA) providing the student Metrocards, for which they are not reimbursed?  

Wait, what? Are you THAT out of touch? If my zoned school sucks to the greatest depths of hell, then why would I go there? You do know that parents WILL know how bad a school is right? Especially in low income areas where less funding goes. And some of these schools are literally detrimental to peoples growth. I WISH I had the opportunity to not go to my zoned middle school. It was like being in a mirror of what was occurring outside. And this was Bed-Stuy in the mid-2000s. But in all forms of luck, I was able to get out of going to my zoned high school which was by all senses of the term, a POS. It was the school where if you lived in Coney Island, you wanted to avoid.

Wait, what? Are you THAT out of touch? If my zoned school sucks to the greatest depths of hell, then why would I go there? You do know that parents WILL know how bad a school is right? Especially in low income areas where less funding goes. And some of these schools are literally detrimental to peoples growth. I WISH I had the opportunity to not go to my zoned middle school. It was like being in a mirror of what was occurring outside. And this was Bed-Stuy in the mid-2000s. But in all forms of luck, I was able to get out of going to my zoned high school which was by all senses of the term, a POS. It was the school where if you lived in Coney Island, you wanted to avoid.

Out of touch with the fact that ALL schools should be good? Um... no... 

I don't see how NYC would be sued when it's the (MTA) providing the student Metrocards, for which they are not reimbursed?  

Because the City is the one providing education, not the MTA. It is up to New York City to ensure that education transportation policy, either through busing, or public transportation, does not end up turning into a de facto segregated school system based on geographic location. If the MTA were to only give out the amount of Metrocards that $90M paid for, New York City would no longer be able to meet its obligations, and it would be the City's burden to find a way to make transportation available for all students who require it.

Out of touch with the fact that ALL schools should be good? Um... no... 

They should be, but they aren't, and it takes quite a bit of time and effort to turn schools around. In the meantime, we should be mitigating the inequity in the school system using transportation so we don't end up screwing over kids needlessly in the transition process.

Because the City is the one providing education, not the MTA. It is up to New York City to ensure that education transportation policy, either through busing, or public transportation, does not end up turning into a de facto segregated school system based on geographic location. If the MTA were to only give out the amount of Metrocards that $90M paid for, New York City would no longer be able to meet its obligations, and it would be the City's burden to find a way to make transportation available for all students who require it.

They should be, but they aren't, and it takes quite a bit of time and effort to turn schools around. In the meantime, we should be mitigating the inequity in the school system using transportation so we don't end up screwing over kids needlessly in the transition process.

That's preposterous.  This whole effort to avoid de facto segregated schools is a complete waste of money.  <_<  Busing kids to other schools doesn't achieve much if the kids don't want to achieve anything in the first place.

I don't see how you mitigate inequity by busing kids to other schools.  That doesn't address the root of the problem.  It just moves the problem from one place to another, as someone who tutors I see this firsthand.  

That's preposterous.  This whole effort to avoid de facto segregated schools is a complete waste of money.  <_<  Busing kids to other schools doesn't achieve much if the kids don't want to achieve anything in the first place.

I don't see how you mitigate inequity by busing kids to other schools.  That doesn't address the root of the problem.  It just moves the problem from one place to another, as someone who tutors I see this firsthand.  

Well if you have a problem with school desegregation by using transportation, you can go ask the Supreme Court to change their minds and see how well that goes.

Moving poor kids into largely middle class schools, and racially integrating schools using busing, has been proven to improve results on the whole for black and Latino students. Poor families who get moved into middle class areas through housing vouchers have higher rates of escaping poverty, and the earlier, the better. Anecdotes are nice, but evidence is what really matters.

Well if you have a problem with school desegregation by using transportation, you can go ask the Supreme Court to change their minds and see how well that goes.

Moving poor kids into largely middle class schools, and racially integrating schools using busing, has been proven to improve results on the whole for black and Latino students. Poor families who get moved into middle class areas through housing vouchers have higher rates of escaping poverty, and the earlier, the better. Anecdotes are nice, but evidence is what really matters.

The Supreme Court is still living in the 60's.  This is a post segregation era.  If it was all about minorities and poverty, explain why Asians do so well, even ones that come from poverty? Please.  Your above post was true decades ago.  There is no racism that is holding kids back today.  It's the kids holding themselves back.  I tutor a few kids that come from poor households and they are barely passing because they are lazy and spend too much time BS-ing in class instead of paying attention. It has nothing to do with the school because they're in a mixed school with kids of all socioeconomic classes and ethnic and racial backgrounds. Meanwhile schools in really economically depressed areas become so bad that they are closed over and over again, which is a waste on many levels.

The Supreme Court is still living in the 60's.  This is a post segregation era.  If it was all about minorities and poverty, explain why Asians do so well, even ones that come from poverty? Please.  Your above post was true decades ago.  There is no racism that is holding kids back today.  It's the kids holding themselves back.  I tutor a few kids that come from poor households and they are barely passing because they are lazy and spend too much time BS-ing in class instead of paying attention. It has nothing to do with the school because they're in a mixed school with kids of all socioeconomic classes and ethnic and racial backgrounds. Meanwhile schools in really economically depressed areas become so bad that they are closed over and over again, which is a waste on many levels.

Here we go again!!!. Honestly in my opinion the reason the Country is screwed up because of this type of thinking because I can't call it logic.  Just mediocrity and obsolescence at it's best. This universality view of the world you have is both mindnumbing and mind boggling to say the least. You totally overlooked and ignored the particulars. In your statements did you take into consideration to ask the question Why?

A. Where are these kids learning these Lazy habits? I like to hear your opinion on that. Because last I checked habits are formed.

B. If we can establish the fact that kids learn from their parents meaning if Mom and Dad instill morals and work ethic, Can I really hold the kids that parents aren't instilling these principles into fully accountable? or at least to my standard as a person that can think critically?

C. If I can't  hold them accountable wouldn't it be great for this child have access to a higher class environment so can see other people in the community that can stand as a role model if there the parent(s) can't. I think the point Panda was making.. Your take on that as well PLS my good man?

You act as just going to school,reading and learning is enough for someone to be cognizant and logical. You have to know the person (Child) has to learn how to apply this information people perceive information so many different ways. If you don't know this don't think you're not qualified to make a comment or just simply say (IN MY OPINION). Nothing your saying is based in full fact. Just false positives i really think you need a tutor as well. Just know in order to let any new information in you have to submit to the things you don't know and fully understand which you won't because you don't fully understand. funny how the way you look at another is often the way someone looks at you. The universe has a way of doing that! Just my two cents.

It's amazing that people are down voting me for saying that all schools should be doing well. Really pathetic to down vote that.

Of course they "should" be equal, but the fact of the matter is that they aren't. If they were, there would be no need for Specialized High schools. That is why many students from the 5 boroughs take hour long subway and/or bus rides to get to school.

You are suggesting that busing to other schools is not necessary even though it is very obvious that it is.

Archived