My thoughts on SBS

Nycboy95

Now I take the Bx12-+SBS+ to get to the 4 or D train at Jerome avenue or Grand Concourse and every SBS I've been on there has been no agents. Some people know this and abuse the privilege while everyone else pays their fare like they are supposed to at the machines. Why is that? I always pay my fare at the machines, but I find it unfair how on the SBS people are hopping on it like its a free bus and people are paying at the machine wasting fares while evaders get basically a free limited-like ride. I feel there should be more agents. Are there any at all because I've only seen like 3 agents out of all the SBS I've taken. There needs to be more security, makes no sense to me. This is just my opinion so no need to bash if you disagree. I like the idea of SBS but it's easy to evade fare due to lack of enforced security.

They're out there, trust me.

Your bus might've just been the lucky for the duration of your trip. 

They're hiring additional agents for the upcoming SBS86, so you'll see different faces. And don't worry about what the others are doing; some of them could've bought their tickets before hand (like 15 mins before); some are even transit employees; some just like to take risk, til they get caught... where you cough up $100, and that covers 20 fares right off the back. The inspectors are not worried about catching EVERYONE, just as long as they get their roundup for the day, they're good.. They'll get caught eventually.

One thing they need to beef up inspections on is the overnight SBS60-- they only check my bus like once a month when they're doubling-up on shift. But I have the feeling when the SBS86 is up and running they'll be bouncing between both lines on the overnight, which will make their presence often (fyi: SBS60 is the only overnight +select at the moment).

I completely agreed that Eagle Teams are out there.

I still hasn't took B44 SBS with inspector enforcement.

One time when I was during library canvassing at Science Industry Business Library, I saw inspectors heading to 34th St/5th Av to check for ticket.

I properly think they must be taking quick lunch break and going back to check inspectors.

As a driver on the SBS 12, I can report that enforcement appears at a stop at least once every tour. What surprises me is that only 2 or 3 riders are ever pulled off of the bus for fare evasion. I read somewhere that statistically, fare evasion on the SBS is below the average of 13% on standard routes. Most riders indeed pay the fare.

What about lot of times when they don't come on the bus then what's the point of holding on to receipt.

What about lot of times when they don't come on the bus then what's the point of holding on to receipt.

The purpose is to have proof of payment in case you are asked to produce it. Simple as that. 

A couple months ago, some winner (tried to) give me 2 bucks at church av for my SBS receipt....

I just gave the damn thing to him & told him to keep his money..... But yeah, I don't chuck them until I GET OFF the bus with no police or eagle team personnel in sight..... I have yet to see eagle team at Church/Nostrand... I wonder if they have them situated at the junction (I wouldn't know, haven't been around the junction in a good minute)....

More to the topic, I guess.... They are definitely present on the Bx12.... From what I've noticed, they usually stealthily sneak up on unsuspecting riders/potential riders at Fordham plz or at Southern (eastbound I'm talking, don't know about westbound).... Unlike the NYPD, those dudes don't pussyfoot around - which is how it should be... The demeanor/aggression they come up at you with is similar to that of the military.....

I've only had to produce my receipt once on the M15SBS, and that was actually after I had gotten off of the bus.  They were asking for receipts as folks got off.  I was kind of annoyed because I had already situated myself with my Whole Foods bags and had to re-arrange my stuff in my hands and dig in my pocket for it, but the guy was patient. From what I've seen they could use more people out patrolling.  Still see a ton of folks getting on buses in the back or jumping the turnstile, so I would imagine plenty of folks are not paying on SBS buses as well.

I've noticed the Eagle Team shows up quite a bit at Pelham Bay for Westbound Bx12 buses. I've never noticed them on Fordham Road going eastbound though or at all eastbound for that matter.

Haven't been to PBP in a while, so I don't know what's been going on there lately....

The rare occasions do decide to ride a Bx12, it is almost always eastbound (EB ride I tend to favor far more)....

I do not remember the last time I rode a westbound Bx12 (hence why I never brought up their presence on any westbound bus)....

The point is, they stop buses at random, in either direction... It would be stupid to just stop buses & check for receipts in one direction only... People catch on to little shit like that....

The Bx12 hot spots for the Eagle teams tend to be White Plains Rd/Pelham Pkwy and Fordham/Jerome based on the times I ride. But there was this one time I rode it to connect to the (A) train at 5am one summer (the SBS Bx12 starts earlier in the summer) and they were already out at 207th and 10th checking receipts on what literally was the first bus of the day. So sometimes while they do have a certain pattern, they can and do pop up at random times, even at the crack of dawn.

How long is a SBS receipt good for? Can I buy one ticket for one ride & use that same ticket for my ride home? ( When SBS comes to Queens its a good thought )

SBS receipts are good for 1 hour, same direction only.

A few times while waiting for the M60 or for the M34, I got a SBS receipt with my unlimited metrocard, but walked up the street instead of waiting. If a bus pulled up I jumped on, If I were to be checked, would my ticket being bought from another stop cause an issue?

To me hotspot for SBS Eagle Teams

Bx12 SBS: Inwood-207th St, Jerome Av, Fordham Plaza, White Plains Rd, Pelham Bay Park.

M15 SBS: 2/1st Av-106/107th Sts, 79th St, 42nd-44th, 34th-35th, 14th St.

M34/A SBS: 34th St-5th Av, 34th St-2nd Av (Sometimes they even check M15 SBS as well), 34th St-7th Av or 8th Av.

M60 SBS: 106th St/Broadway, 125th St/St. Nicholas-Frederick, 125th St/Lenox Av, 125th St/Lexington Av, Astoria Blvd.

A few times while waiting for the M60 or for the M34, I got a SBS receipt with my unlimited metrocard, but walked up the street instead of waiting. If a bus pulled up I jumped on, If I were to be checked, would my ticket being bought from another stop cause an issue?

I would assume not. As long as you're on the bus within the hour time limit the ticket was purchased going in the intended direction the ticket says, then you should be good.

Archived