R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

2 hours ago, Princelex said:

Why put cameras & screens where you can’t do anything with it? That is as idiotic as it gets, but then again, this is MTA management at its finest again 🙄

My guess is the upper level management and engineers doing the spec wanted it but the operational supervisors don't.

I have the same situation with my car.  Tesla engineers put a 15" screen in and the operational supervisor, my wife, doesn't want me to use it.:rolleyes:

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2023 at 9:11 PM, Kamen Rider said:

So… the order hath come down from on high….

we’re not supposed to use the CCTV system unless explicitly told to do so by supervison.

that was obviously going to happen but it does beg the question… why put it where it will be easy for us to use in the first place? Why give it an entire screen on the console? 

Why not at least let the conductors use it, or if need be, create a new position that rides on the end or forward middle cab that watches the CCTV

52 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

Why not at least let the conductors use it, or if need be, create a new position that rides on the end or forward middle cab that watches the CCTV

You don't get it.  Transit operates like the military.  If they tell you not to do something, you don't do it.  Period!  No questions asked.  Plus these trains have black boxes.  They tell on you.  

20 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You don't get it.  Transit operates like the military.  If they tell you not to do something, you don't do it.  Period!  No questions asked.  Plus these trains have black boxes.  They tell on you.  

That's fair; it makes no sense to have surveillance that can't be used in normal operation, but that sounds like something that people need to take up with the MTA rather than something that individual line employees should pick a fight with their bosses over; that said it makes no sense to spend the money to have such a system and not use it.

Edited by engineerboy6561

R211A cars 4075 and 4076, which are part of the 2nd R211 Production 5-car set, 4075-4079, have been delivered to the South Brooklyn Railway. Cars 4077, 4078, and 4079 are on the way. R211A cars 4080-4084 have also entered the process of delivery and are also on the way. 4075-4079 are expected to arrive first.

IMG_7003.jpg

Credit: "NYCT Subway Tracking" server on Discord. 

The R211 train that's currently on the (A) in passenger service, 4060-4069 is coming close to its 30-day acceptance. We have one more week, as after that week, April 2nd to 8th is close to the end. It's past its 30 days after April 10th. So far, so good. Doing fantastic. 

17 hours ago, foggymetro said:

R211A cars 4075 and 4076, which are part of the 2nd R211 Production 5-car set, 4075-4079, have been delivered to the South Brooklyn Railway. Cars 4077, 4078, and 4079 are on the way. R211A cars 4080-4084 have also entered the process of delivery and are also on the way. 4075-4079 are expected to arrive first.

IMG_7003.jpg

Got a link to join the discord server? Can’t seem to find it. 

19 hours ago, foggymetro said:

IMG_7003.jpg

*4077-4079 are expected to arrive first.

21 hours ago, foggymetro said:

IMG_7003.jpg

Link: https://discord.gg/hDVA5JxS

This just in: R211A cars 4077-4079 have been delivered to the SBK as of March 29, 2023. These 3 cars complete the 5-car set, 4075-4079. These two 5-car sets (4070-4074 and 4075-4079) will be linked up to make a full 10-car train (4070-4079). Once the 30-day revenue service acceptance test for the R211A pilot set (4060-4069) is completed on April 9, 2023, then these cars will begin their testing cycle, which will be much shorter, due to them not being a pilot train.

Proof: 

aDLkm2YZQuKk2JZBuhpVLeft_sb13QJqre1uzx24https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxLiiebQe4jkFobVLFd-VhKzPr5OLYLFUj

On 3/24/2023 at 8:35 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Good thing everything is going well so far. Also for those who still want to find it, there’s a Reddit page still advertising the live location of the R211 on its various trips. They run it on the Lefferts (A) train until the very last trip.

Which is worth its weight in gold (or blue, I guess)! Because thanks to that Reddit page, today I was able to get to Chambers and walk down to the platform right as the R211 (A) train was pulling in at 5:44 PM. I had intended to catch it at Fulton, but when I saw how quickly it went from High to Fulton (only three minutes), I figured I’d better just get it at Chambers (I waited it out for about 20 minutes at Barnes and Noble on Warren St). Apparently that train can move, baby! This was the rare night I was on my own for dinner, so it was R211 hunting for me today. Rode from Chambers to 59th. Little slow entering 59th, but that’s probably due to waiting for a (D) to clear the station. It was worth it!

On 3/28/2023 at 4:42 PM, engineerboy6561 said:

That's fair; it makes no sense to have surveillance that can't be used in normal operation, but that sounds like something that people need to take up with the MTA rather than something that individual line employees should pick a fight with their bosses over; that said it makes no sense to spend the money to have such a system and not use it.

Who says they have to use the system right now?  

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Who says they have to use the system right now?  

I'm not saying anyone has to; my thought was primarily that given the perception of increased crime on the subways it might be useful to have conductors start using the cameras to track incidents and coordinate with MTAPD/social service agencies/EMS/etc. when something doesn't look right. It would be a relatively easy PR win, but would also possibly actually deter some crimes and maybe even save a couple lives (someone collapses on an (A) train while it's rolling through the express tracks at 103 St; if the conductor sees that on the camera they can have EMS meet them on the platform at 125 St without having to wait for scared and confused passengers to call it in, and the extra couple minutes of response time could go a long way for something like a heart attack or a stroke). I'm mostly wondering if there's a particular reason for the MTA to not adopt that approach that I wouldn't be aware of as a civilian.

Edited by engineerboy6561

My first ride on the R211 didn’t take long enough to hit the station as soon as I arrived at 145th St station on the (A)(B)(C) & (D). Since there were a serious of GOs going on with no (E) trains serving 8th Ave until W 4,  the train approached at 145th St on the downtown local side. I took it until 34th St-PS. Only a minor delay: sick passenger at 59th St. but other than that, ride is smooth, no complaints. A+ on it. Next trip is Mother’s Day, when I will able to see at least 3 trains in service

Finally had the opportunity to ride the R211 today on my day off from a VERY busy work schedule & family life. 

Overall my two cents, the train is truly next level as far as design features and innovation. Even though I'm not a fan of the LED pixelation lights I'm so happy the route bullet on the front/back & sides are back, a feature that should of never left from previous tech trains. The LCD multi-color route display is a nice upgrade from the tri-color FIND display, however I wish that the display itself was lighter. I personally love the blue seats and the floors which doesn't give that hospital feel to the train like the older techs do in my opinion, just preferred that they didn't reduce the seating capacity but I get that it was to expand the doors for more spacing. I like the new green & red light door indications on the side.

Now, I still have to give the slight edge to the R160s as far as quality movement on the ride and I've been on a bunch smoother R160s over the course of their decade service compared to what I rode today with the R211. The public announcement system obviously could be better, the R179s reign supreme in that category as well as the heating system. The outer body of the train is basically a modern R143/R160. The R211 propulsion is great, but I still put the R160B Siemens & R142A/R188 Bombardier propulsion's over it. I rank the R211 propulsion tied with R179s in my third spot of tech train propulsion's in the subway.

Lastly, The train still maintains that new car smell. I realize and respect the R211s are the new wave of the future for the NYC Subway and I'm hopeful they'll take good care of them as more of them continue to come into the system. Theres still some things they can improve on but the R211s are primed to be the future workhorse of the B division. Salute to Kawasaki Rail car for there continued dedication on building  world class subway cars like the R211s.

Edited by jon2305

5 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

Finally had the opportunity to ride the R211 today on my day off from a VERY busy work schedule & family life. 

Overall my two cents, the train is truly next level as far as design features and innovation. Even though I'm not a fan of the LED pixelation lights I'm so happy the route bullet on the front/back & sides are back, a feature that should of never left from previous tech trains. The LCD multi-color route display is a nice upgrade from the tri-color FIND display, however I wish that the display itself was lighter. I personally love the blue seats and the floors which doesn't give that hospital feel to the train like the older techs do in my opinion, just preferred that they didn't reduce the seating capacity but I get that it was to expand the doors for more spacing. I like the new green & red light door indications on the side.

Now, I still have to give the slight edge to the R160s as far as quality movement on the ride and I've been on a bunch smoother R160s over the course of their decade service compared to what I rode today with the R211. The public announcement system obviously could be better, the R179s reign supreme in that category as well as the heating system. The outer body of the train is basically a modern R143/R160. The R211 propulsion is great, but I still put the R160B Siemens & R142A/R188 Bombardier propulsion's over it. I rank the R211 propulsion tied with R179s in my third spot of tech train propulsion's in the subway.

Lastly, The train still maintains that new car smell. I realize and respect the R211s are the new wave of the future for the NYC Subway and I'm hopeful they'll take good care of them as more of them continue to come into the system. Theres still some things they can improve on but the R211s are primed to be the future workhorse of the B division. Salute to Kawasaki Rail car for there continued dedication on building  world class subway cars like the R211s.

The 211s ride exactly the same as the 160s, they have the same trucks.