R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

47 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The 211s ride exactly the same as the 160s, they have the same trucks.

No doubt. The more time I spent on the train the more it grew on me. I ended up taking a small nap on the way towards Lefferts lol.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, jon2305 said:

Finally had the opportunity to ride the R211 today on my day off from a VERY busy work schedule & family life. 

Overall my two cents, the train is truly next level as far as design features and innovation. Even though I'm not a fan of the LED pixelation lights I'm so happy the route bullet on the front/back & sides are back, a feature that should of never left from previous tech trains. The LCD multi-color route display is a nice upgrade from the tri-color FIND display, however I wish that the display itself was lighter. I personally love the blue seats and the floors which doesn't give that hospital feel to the train like the older techs do in my opinion, just preferred that they didn't reduce the seating capacity but I get that it was to expand the doors for more spacing. I like the new green & red light door indications on the side.

Now, I still have to give the slight edge to the R160s as far as quality movement on the ride and I've been on a bunch smoother R160s over the course of their decade service compared to what I rode today with the R211. The public announcement system obviously could be better, the R179s reign supreme in that category as well as the heating system. The outer body of the train is basically a modern R143/R160. The R211 propulsion is great, but I still put the R160B Siemens & R142A/R188 Bombardier propulsion's over it. I rank the R211 propulsion tied with R179s in my third spot of tech train propulsion's in the subway.

Lastly, The train still maintains that new car smell. I realize and respect the R211s are the new wave of the future for the NYC Subway and I'm hopeful they'll take good care of them as more of them continue to come into the system. Theres still some things they can improve on but the R211s are primed to be the future workhorse of the B division. Salute to Kawasaki Rail car for there continued dedication on building  world class subway cars like the R211s.

19 hours ago, jon2305 said:

No doubt. The more time I spent on the train the more it grew on me. I ended up taking a small nap on the way towards Lefferts lol.

Since it was your first time riding the R211 and it's still new, you'll have plenty of time and chances to form a more solid opinion on them.

On 4/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, Cait Sith said:

The 211s ride exactly the same as the 160s, they have the same trucks.

Ride quality might be slightly different as a full train of R211's have 2 non-powered trucks vs an R160 which has every truck powered. It can be better or worse once they age.

7 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

4080-4084 up for delivery this week. 4084-83 are staging at Goethals now, to go over between 10:30pm and midnight. 82-80 to be delivered tomorrow night.

Driver also stated that the first 5-car set of R211S is scheduled to be delivered the final week of April.

Week of 4/24-4/29

19 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

4080-4084 up for delivery this week. 4084-83 are staging at Goethals now, to go over between 10:30pm and midnight. 82-80 to be delivered tomorrow night.

Driver also stated that the first 5-car set of R211S is scheduled to be delivered the final week of April.

I saw the pair at Industry City just a little while ago. 

Today is day 26 of the 30 day test.  AFAIK no issues.

16 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Ride quality might be slightly different as a full train of R211's have 2 non-powered trucks vs an R160 which has every truck powered. It can be better or worse once they age.

If it is, I haven't noticed. They rock and jerk just the same as the R160s.

7 hours ago, zacster said:

I saw the pair at Industry City just a little while ago. 

Today is day 26 of the 30 day test.  AFAIK no issues.

Woot! Just four days left. Keep it going!

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

If it is, I haven't noticed. They rock and jerk just the same as the R160s.

Yep, they didn’t feel like they rode any different than the other New Tech trains. Except maybe the Bombardier ones (R142 and R179), which do seem to me to have quieter, smoother rides than the others.

25 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Woot! Just four days left. Keep it going!

Yep, they didn’t feel like they rode any different than the other New Tech trains. Except maybe the Bombardier ones (R142 and R179), which do seem to me to have quieter, smoother rides than the others.

In reference to the R142 - I assume you mean quieter in terms of not having super loud, screeching brakes. Those HVAC units certainly aren't quiet, which is the one thing I can say I don't like about the r142s (this is also a problem with the R160s & now the R211s). But they are definitely one of the smoother, more comfortable trains in the fleet.

Edited by RandomRider0101
Added more detail.

1 hour ago, RandomRider0101 said:

In reference to the R142 - I assume you mean quieter in terms of not having super loud, screeching brakes. Those HVAC units certainly aren't quiet, which is the one thing I can say I don't like about the r142s (this is also a problem with the R160s & now the R211s). But they are definitely one of the smoother, more comfortable trains in the fleet.

Why is it that the Bombardier trains are so smooth while the Kawasaki makes (R142A, R143 especially) jerk so roughly? Can't say the R142A/R143 have aged gracefully inside compared to the R142 and R160s, either.

Edited by U-BahnNYC

6 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Why is it that the Bombardier trains are so smooth while the Kawasaki makes (R142A, R143 especially) jerk so roughly? Can't say the R142A/R143 have aged gracefully inside compared to the R142 and R160s, either.

Part of it has to do with the trains' trucks. When it came to the NTTs specifically, Bombardier always made smoother trucks compared to their competition.

The R142A & R143 are special cases as their ride quality is horrible. To be fair they were amongst the first of the NTTs, but the R142s didn't have those type of issues.

The R160s & R211s may not have turned out quite as smooth as the R142s & R179s, but they certainly are an improvement over the Adtranz pack (my nickname for the R142A/188s & R143s).

A lot of railfans may not like them, but the R142s are one of the most reliable fleets we have now. They have been the backbone of the A division for over 2 decades now, and have certainly proven themselves over time. With a few fixes, the R179s can be just as reliable if not more.

9 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

lol the HVACs on the 211s are also LOUD AF when the fans are on.

8 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

If inside you mean the interior it depends on what yard the cars are based out of. 239th R142s interior are kinda raggedy compared to Jerome and E180th and the R160s interior at ENY are horrible compared to Jamaica. R143s interior are bad because of the yard they are based out of.

Also someone keeps vandalizing the interior of the ENY fleet with permanent marker writings on the ceiling, which they cover up with blue sheet paper which does'nt match the rest of the interior color wise. They even vandalized one of the R179 cars.

R211 cars, 4080-4084 are here in NYC.

Saw a photo of it by South Brooklyn Railway yard and it’ll soon be registered to the system. We’re almost done with the 30-day test that’s on the (A) right now. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

If inside you mean the interior it depends on what yard the cars are based out of. 239th R142s interior are kinda raggedy compared to Jerome and E180th and the R160s interior at ENY are horrible compared to Jamaica. R143s interior are bad because of the yard they are based out of.

Also someone keeps vandalizing the interior of the ENY fleet with permanent marker writings on the ceiling, which they cover up with blue sheet paper which does'nt match the rest of the interior color wise. They even vandalized one of the R179 cars.

Yes I've noticed that. Someone in Bushwick probably thinks they're cool and edgy by making the (J)(L)(M)(Z) look "rough"     

239th R142s run on the (2) right? 

1 hour ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Yeah I know; I noted that the R160s and R211s have this issue as well. It is a flaw on all these fleets that I don't like. They need to stop putting the HVACs on the roofs.

They're on the roof so they can be easily swapped out and replaced if they break. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

They're on the roof so they can be easily swapped out and replaced if they break. 

Well thank you for explaining this. I knew there had to be a reason. I just wish they weren't so loud as they make it more difficult to hear announcements, which are often already muffled and unclear. I hope they find a solution for this soon.

20 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Well thank you for explaining this. I knew there had to be a reason. I just wish they weren't so loud as they make it more difficult to hear announcements, which are often already muffled and unclear. I hope they find a solution for this soon.

(L) line crews often turn off the HVAC when they have to make manual announcements, once their finished, they turn the HVAC back on.