R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

2 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

Last day of the 30 day test 🤞🏻

How many sets do we have right now besides the testing one? 4?

Also, page 211 on the day the R211 officially comes into full service lol

Edited by Reptile

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Reptile said:

How many sets do we have right now besides the testing one? 4?

Also, page 211 on the day the R211 officially comes into full service lol

LOL Good call!

I believe there's 30 R211A's with the pilot set included, 20 R211T's (hard & soft shells), and the 5 R211S already on property.

Therefore a total of 55 R211 set's.

Edited by jon2305

1 hour ago, jon2305 said:

LOL Good call!

I believe there's 30 R211A's with the pilot set included, 20 R211T's (hard & soft shells), and the 5 R211S already on property.

Therefore a total of 55 R211 set's.

R211T and R211S will continue to undergo testing and have their own clocks. This was for the R211A’s only and there’s 2 more sets on site. 

48 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

R211T and R211S will continue to undergo testing and have their own clocks. This was for the R211A’s only and there’s 2 more sets on site. 

The question was... How many sets do we have right now? Which I assumed is describing all the R211's T & S included, currently in the system.

20 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Bruh according to MTA twitter there's a Mechanical Problem on the (A)(C) at High St. I swear if that's the R211, and it would've otherwise passed but for that and now the clock gonna be reset another 30 days, Imma be so mad.

Does not seem a R211 is running today. 

I caught the R211 today, so it most likely had a problem if it was out of service. The announcements on the train were acting crazy, the announcement doubled at 80th Street going uptown, and the conductor had to change the program multiple times. It was the 9:26 out of 168th Street and the 11:15 out of Far Rockaway. 

1 hour ago, frogiefish said:

I caught the R211 today, so it most likely had a problem if it was out of service. The announcements on the train were acting crazy, the announcement doubled at 80th Street going uptown, and the conductor had to change the program multiple times. It was the 9:26 out of 168th Street and the 11:15 out of Far Rockaway. 

Actually, all that is not automatically actually a problem. 

My first ride as a passenger, three days after the first came online, they had to change the program multiple times because not all the proper GO programs are loaded into the darn thing. That is an NTT wide issue.

For example, for the F via Broadway for Fastrack the last two weeks, every time I had that job, I had to turn off the AAS at Prince Street going southbound and Atlantic going northbound, because the F via Broadway routes in the computer are all written on the assumption the train is being sent over the bridge. I then had to make fully manual announcements through lower manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn before I could turn the system back on and reset it for the proper station. 

the announcement might have "doubled" because they reloaded the AAS because there was a mistake to correct. that happens. Often the crew forgot a reroute is on and had to make an adjustment. 

17 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Actually, all that is not automatically actually a problem. 

My first ride as a passenger, three days after the first came online, they had to change the program multiple times because not all the proper GO programs are loaded into the darn thing. That is an NTT wide issue.

For example, for the F via Broadway for Fastrack the last two weeks, every time I had that job, I had to turn off the AAS at Prince Street going southbound and Atlantic going northbound, because the F via Broadway routes in the computer are all written on the assumption the train is being sent over the bridge. I then had to make fully manual announcements through lower manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn before I could turn the system back on and reset it for the proper station. 

the announcement might have "doubled" because they reloaded the AAS because there was a mistake to correct. that happens. Often the crew forgot a reroute is on and had to make an adjustment. 

My C/R and I fully understand what you’re saying. (5) train,R142, brand new, via Lexington Avenue with  no Utica or New Lots program south of Bowling Green. Flatbush was okay via Lexington Avenue or the Seventh Avenue re-route. We would make manual announcements from Borough Hall southbound. Sad part was that the train had a (3) to New Lots program already installed but supervision didn’t want us to use it. Quirky stuff as I look back. Carry on.

4 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Bruh according to MTA twitter there's a Mechanical Problem on the (A)(C) at High St. I swear if that's the R211, and it would've otherwise passed but for that and now the clock gonna be reset another 30 days, Imma be so mad.

Why the pessimistic attitude with the r211's???

I'm pretty sure that it was an r46's that broke down.

The r46's have been dominating the A/C this weekend. I hardly saw r179's running on the A/C.

The MTA should not be using so many r46's during the weekends especially if there is a lot of track and CBTC work done during the weekends.

The r46's are breaking down like flies. 

26 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The r46's have been dominating the A/C this weekend. I hardly saw r179's running on the A/C.

The MTA should not be using so many r46's during the weekends especially if there is a lot of track and CBTC work done during the weekends.

Actually they should run the R46s into the ground at this point to give the R179s some time off in the yards or for maintenance, especially considering the low spare factor for those cars. On the (J) weekends, it’s mainly R160s for the same reason, since they can use the (M)s R160s that don’t run

54 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The R179s are in the process of getting their CBTC kits installed. Besides that, the r179s still have to be maintained just like every other car fleet. 

Even if they run every train at the same time to minimize r46 usage, they will still eventually have to be out for maintenance. So that is likely why you haven't seen as many of them running this weekend.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Maybe the R179 warranty expires after a certain amount of miles and the TA doesn't want the 179s to reach that milestone just yet.

CI did this years ago with the R160s, a bunch of R68/68As were used on the (N) & (Q) lines on the weekends cause the R160s warranty was about to expire. Good times seeing the 68s dominate Broadway for a few weekends after tech train dominance for a while.

On 6/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, CenSin said:

You’re missing the forest for the trees here. The original SecureDigital card limitations weren’t OS-level limitations. They were baked into the standard which had to be revised to allow for a bump in maximum capacity. Perhaps the 2 GB limit and 32-bit addressing coincide, but if that were the case, how do you explain the 32 GB limitation of SDHC? Or the 2 TB limitation of SDXC? Or the 128 TB limitation of SDUC? Are SDHC cards using 35-bit microcontrollers?

They were file system limitations that were built into the OS that supported it, regardless of the medium.  "Like most Windows file systems, FAT16 supports a variety of cluster sizes, allowing it to be used on hard disks that are as small as 16 MB or as large as 2 GB. A later revision to the file system allowed it to support volumes up to 4 GB.  The earliest SD card products were routinely formatted with the FAT16 file system due to its support across Windows, Mac, Linux and OS/2 operating systems."

FAT32 allowed bigger drives, so they made them. 

Let's just agree to disagree, this isn't important.  It's ancient history.

Did the R211 pass the 30 day test or not?  We had the impression the last time that it had, but it turned out it hadn't. 

Edited by zacster

42 minutes ago, zacster said:

They were file system limitations that were built into the OS that supported it, regardless of the medium.  "Like most Windows file systems, FAT16 supports a variety of cluster sizes, allowing it to be used on hard disks that are as small as 16 MB or as large as 2 GB. A later revision to the file system allowed it to support volumes up to 4 GB.  The earliest SD card products were routinely formatted with the FAT16 file system due to its support across Windows, Mac, Linux and OS/2 operating systems."

FAT32 allowed bigger drives, so they made them. 

The root cause is not the file system either. You could technically put any file system you want on the card (e.g., ext2).

The limit comes from the card-specific data (CSD) structure, which an SD card (using the original standard) uses to report its capacity. There are actually enough bits in the structure to support up to 4 GB, but whether it’s accessible relies on the hardware (i.e., the card reader) supporting it. The OS/FS doesn’t mean a damn thing unless the card’s bytes can be addressed.

You would be correct if this were about SDHC versus SDXC. The key difference between the two is the file system—FAT32 versus exFAT, the latter which enables capacities higher than 32 GB. (But it should be noted that FAT32 can technically go up to 16 TB with larger cluster sizes.)

42 minutes ago, zacster said:

Let's just agree to disagree, this isn't important.  It's ancient history.

I disagree with that. Ancient history is very important in the industries which typically rely on ancient technology. I can’t comment on which technologies the MTA’s equipment runs on, but it sure isn’t cutting edge.

This whole exercise was to make the points that:

1. Legacy technology and backwards compatibility holds back innovation.
  2. Just because something could be done in the consumer space doesn’t make it an appropriate solution for industrial/enterprise use.
Edited by CenSin

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually they should run the R46s into the ground at this point to give the R179s some time off in the yards or for maintenance, especially considering the low spare factor for those cars. On the (J) weekends, it’s mainly R160s for the same reason, since they can use the (M)s R160s that don’t run

The problem is that it will worsen weekend delays (which is already bad due to weekend work) on the A, C, which will also impact service on the D, E, F, since it shares tracks with the A, C. There were a lot of delays this weekend on those lines due to mechanical issues. At least the N and Q can rely on the r68's during the weekends. 

Hopefully, with more r211's entering service, the r179's can breath a little bit.