R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

You guys forget that there is a GO with no (A) trains going to 207th. A good chunk of R179s might be stuck in 207th st yard from being laid up friday evening or some cars are being inspected in pitkin yard. It's not that serious, R46s might have issues from time to time but they are needed and will be still needed when a good chunk of R211s are in service. Y'all want the R46s gone without having logic and seeing that we have a car shortage and the fact that (MTA), The state and city is pushing for congestion pricing. We are going to need everything until there is enough cars to start the retirement process.

It's like you guys want congestion pricing to happen so damn bad but want (MTA) to scrap subway cars that they shouldn't scrap until they fix the car shortages and service enhancements. Thankfully option order I is happening and i expect option II to be awarded within 6 months to a year from now.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Maybe the R179 warranty expires after a certain amount of miles and the TA doesn't want the 179s to reach that milestone just yet.

CI did this years ago with the R160s, a bunch of R68/68As were used on the (N) & (Q) lines on the weekends cause the R160s warranty was about to expire. Good times seeing the 68s dominate Broadway for a few weekends after tech train dominance for a while.

Subway car warranties are mileage based as well? That's interesting; I only thought of them as being time based.

I knew that when a fleet is under warranty, the builder is responsible (in this case Alstom); Then once the warranty is up, MTA is solely responsible.

24 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

You guys forget that there is a GO with no (A) trains going to 207th. A good chunk of R179s might be stuck in 207th st yard from being laid up friday evening or some cars are being inspected in pitkin yard. It's not that serious, R46s might have issues from time to time but they are needed and will be still needed when a good chunk of R211s are in service. Y'all want the R46s gone without having logic and seeing that we have a car shortage and the fact that (MTA), The state and city is pushing for congestion pricing. We are going to need everything until there is enough cars to start the retirement process.

It's like you guys want congestion pricing to happen so damn bad but want (MTA) to scrap subway cars that they shouldn't scrap until they fix the car shortages and service enhancements. Thankfully option order I is happening and i expect option II to be awarded within 6 months to a year from now.

People complain a lot about the R46s, but they should at least be happy they have running trains that are getting them from point A to point B. The R211s will be here soon, and the r46s will continue to hold down service in the meantime.

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I'm not saying that the r46's need to be scrap right now. What I am saying is that the MTA should not be overusing them, since they are in really bad shape. At least CI has been running a lot of r68's on the NQ during the weekends and there has been some weekends that all the A/Cs r179's are running.

This past weekend wasn't the case and there were a lot of delays caused by mechanical issues that impacted A,C,D,E,F trains and that's on top of the delays caused by weekend work.

More subway car breakdowns means more delays and headaches for riders.

25 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm not saying that the r46's need to be scrap right now. What I am saying is that the MTA should not be overusing them, since they are in really bad shape. At least CI has been running a lot of r68's on the NQ during the weekends and there has been some weekends that all the A/Cs r179's are running.

This past weekend wasn't the case and there were a lot of delays caused by mechanical issues that impacted A,C,D,E,F trains and that's on top of the delays caused by weekend work.

More subway car breakdowns means more delays and headaches for riders.

So what you’re saying that the “R46s should be scrapped”. Have you been on the (A) & (C) as of late? They use the R46s on a frequent on the (C) to make service since there aren’t many R179s on the (C). Plus, many of the new techs are in yards to put new unseen coatings on them to prevent a fatal incident that happened on the (M) yesterday afternoon. 

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

So what you’re saying that the “R46s should be scrapped”. Have you been on the (A) & (C) as of late? They use the R46s on a frequent on the (C) to make service since there aren’t many R179s on the (C). Plus, many of the new techs are in yards to put new unseen coatings on them to prevent a fatal incident that happened on the (M) yesterday afternoon. 

Did you really read my latest post?? Cause you really misunderstood what I posted. 

Since when over using a train means the same as scrapping a train?? Cause if you look at the dictionary or go to Google you will notice that "over using" something and "scrapping" something mean two different things.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

42 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

So what happens now that the 30 day test is over? Are they going to put the production sets in service? 

Most likely later on this week. It probably won’t take a while. I was in NYC yesterday and even thought I didn’t see potion, I saw F N and Q trains in coney. But that’s not the point. The production sets might just get in service later on.

12 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Did you really read my latest post?? Cause you really misunderstood what I posted. 

Since when over using a train means the same as scrapping a train?? Cause if you look at the dictionary or go to Google you will notice that "over using" something and "scrapping" something mean two different things.

I don’t use google. You’re talking to the wrong person to use google. 

5 hours ago, Humidifier said:

From what I've heard, the R211A passed the 30-day test. It was out running today and will go in (likely tomorrow) for some last-minute modifications for 24/7 road service. Production sets will begin running shortly thereafter, supposedly. 

That was said several times before. Let's wait for some actual news.

49 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

I don’t use google. You’re talking to the wrong person to use google. 

Doesn't really help your case considering you completely misunderstood what he said.

Edited by Cait Sith

Now that the pilot R211A has presumably completed its 30 day revenue service test successfully, more R211A cars have apparently been delivered to SBK in the midnight hours of 2023-06-20. The cars are assumed to be part of the 5 car set 4090-4094. If this is true, following the previous delivery pattern, the cars that were delivered are cars 4094 and 4093.

Information adapted from the NYCT Subway Tracking Server.

Video link: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1034638308443160597/1120665791319265310/IMG_0845_1.mp4

1 hour ago, foggymetro said:

Now that the pilot R211A has presumably completed its 30 day revenue service test successfully, more R211A cars have apparently been delivered to SBK in the midnight hours of 2023-06-20. The cars are assumed to be part of the 5 car set 4090-4094. If this is true, following the previous delivery pattern, the cars that were delivered are cars 4094 and 4093.

Video link: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1034638308443160597/1120665791319265310/IMG_0845_1.mp4

Cool, it’s nice to have more cars delivered

2 hours ago, foggymetro said:

NICE! Hopefully we have weekly deliveries consistently from this point.

8 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

NICE! Hopefully we have weekly deliveries consistently from this point.

I hope so too. I was able to see some 46s near Stilwell on Sunday! I could show you the video, but I don’t have a yt channel yet. Ik it had nothin to do with this thread but at least I caught some before they started retiring

1 hour ago, Ale188 said:

I hope so too. I was able to see some 46s near Stilwell on Sunday! I could show you the video, but I don’t have a yt channel yet. Ik it had nothin to do with this thread but at least I caught some before they started retiring

The r46's are not going to retired yet.

Yes, we are going to see the production r211A's gradually enter service. Let's be patient. Don't be surprised if each production train enters service on a weekly or biweekly basis.

The MTA should make sure that things are running smoothly with the r211's before retiring any r46's. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The r46's are not going to retired yet.

Yes, we are going to see the production r211A's gradually enter service. Let's be patient. Don't be surprised if each production train enters service on a weekly or biweekly basis.

The MTA should make sure that things are running smoothly with the r211's before retiring any r46's. 

I know that. I think the 46s are gonna start retiring when there are about 10 10-car sets, though 

19 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

I know that. I think the 46s are gonna start retiring when there are about 10 10-car sets, though 

IMO the worst performing r46's should be removed first and be stored as "emergency fleet" until option 1 begins to enter service. The retirement of the r46's should be done gradually as more option 1 trains enter service and the worst performing trains should retire first.