R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

23 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

If they do theyd be stupid. the pitkin 46s will most lijely head to coney to displace their worst performing ones

The worst performing r46's will be replaced by the best performing r46's. Then, the r68's will replace the remaining r46's, while the r211's will go to subway lines that will run on QBL, 8th Avenue and 6th Avenue due to CBTC.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't count on anything being retired, The most they'll do is put a decent chunk of R46s in storage until they'll figure out if congestion pricing is a go or not. I don't know why people keep thinking they should retire the R46s when you have the (C) line running 50% full length trains and the (G) which is packed to the brim but yet (MTA) wants to play games by telling people that shorter (G) trains are better when in reality they have a shortage of fleet. 

The "R46s need to go and other bullshit" is over exaggerated, Yes their reliability has taken a hit but that's because they retired the R32s and reduced the spare factor while thinking the R211s would be in service in the summer of 2022 hence the decision to retire the R32s in 2021.  The R46s are still going to be replaced but they really can't start scrapping them or even retire them until they fix all of the other issues in terms of the fleet shortage.

6 minutes ago, VIA 7 AV said:

So as far as R211T assignments in the future, do you guys think there’s still a possibility of part of the order going to Jamaica? I’d love to see them on the (E) & (F) lines (even the (R) ) 

Well theres no point speculating yet since option 2 hasnt been announced yet and neither have the test results for the 211Ts

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

Well theres no point speculating yet since option 2 hasnt been announced yet and neither have the test results for the 211Ts

Yes! At this point the MTA only ordered 2 sets which won’t be in service until the end of the year. In addition to the higher cost factor vs the A model there’s no telling at this time what the second “option” order will look like. 

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Let's say option 2 is 211As and the T's "fail" their test... would the two open gangway sets be put in storage and rot in yards for many years like the R110s were? 

I’d say they run them as long as they can on a shuttle like the BMT Bluebirds or just for special occasions like another anniversary, just to show the difference between X years of rolling stock

42 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Let's say option 2 is 211As and the T's "fail" their test... would the two open gangway sets be put in storage and rot in yards for many years like the R110s were? 

They could just as well run them normally unless they are a complete failure. In that case they can run on a shuttle or just be taken out of service. Most of the time test trains end up either working well or just being retired after a few years. I doubt the R211T will fail though.

2 hours ago, VIA 7 AV said:

So as far as R211T assignments in the future, do you guys think there’s still a possibility of part of the order going to Jamaica? I’d love to see them on the (E) & (F) lines (even the (R) ) 

IMO the second option order should go to Jamaica, regardless if it's open gangway or not.

The first option order will most likely go to the B, C, D trains due to 8 th Avenue CBTC, which will require the A, B, C, D to be 100% NTTs.

The MTA needs to exercise the second option order because ridership is growing and it will continue to grow as more real estate is being built. Also, the r46's won't last beyond 3 years.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

They didn’t spend more than a million dollars for “articulated” open gangway cars to fail. That’s why they’re being cautious on what they will do with the 20 cars. 

51 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

IMO the second option order should go to Jamaica, regardless if it's open gangway or not.

The first option order will most likely go to the B, C, D trains due to 8 th Avenue CBTC, which will require the A, B, C, D to be 100% NTTs.

The MTA needs to exercise the second option order because ridership is growing and it will continue to grow as more real estate is being built. Also, the r46's won't last beyond 3 years.

So you’re saying the R211’s should replace the R68/A’s from the (B)(D) and place them on the (N)(Q)(W) so they replace the R46’s? Replacing old with old doesn’t make sense to me, I doubt regular passengers will notice the differences from the 46’s to the 68’s

Just now, Chris89292 said:

So you’re saying the R211’s should replace the R68/A’s from the (B)(D) and place them on the (N)(Q)(W) so they replace the R46’s? Replacing old with old doesn’t make sense to me, I doubt regular passengers will notice the differences from the 46’s to the 68’s

It doesn't really matter that passenger notice a difference, all that matters is a train shows up when scheduled. The MTA doesn't shift trains around so certain passengers can get newer or older trains. They shift them around based on the needs of the line, ie capacity, size, frequency (number of available trains), etc ...

14 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

This is very likely to happen as Bway is not scheduled for CBTC anytime soon so there only lines that the R68’s/68A’s can go to is N Q W. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Stop it my guy. The only reason why the R46s took a hit is because they are short on cars. Y'all did this when the R32s were here.

54 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Well Broadway isn't getting CBTC and if any tech train does go to CI, The majority of them will be on the (B)

21 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Slightly off topic, but will the NYTM receive a R46 set when they get retired?

I might be wrong, but I believe that because the trains were purchased with government funds, they're obligated to offer them to museums. Even if that's not the case, I'm sure they'll get a set. I can't think of a recent set that the NYTM hasn't gotten. 

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

The r68's cannot stay on the BD once 8th Avenue CBTC is done. R68's are not equipped with CBTC.

38 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Stop it my guy. The only reason why the R46s took a hit is because they are short on cars. Y'all did this when the R32s were here

Were you actually expecting that the r32's and r46's will stay in service for another 10-15 years?? For what?? So that subway service continues to be delayed due to mechanical issues??

Do you know how annoying it is to get to work or school late because the train broke down?

The real reason why there is a subway car shortage is because the MTA did not order enough r179's.

The subway car shortage will be eliminated with the second option order of r211's.

The idea of the T sets “failing” is that thier gangways do not prove to make things better.

they are annoying to isolate, with nothing but these stubborn shower curtain doors to close them off.

and all the things people move between cars to get away from, now the only barrier is my cab.

that’s what a lot of people mean when they say fail.

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

nothing should go to Jamaica they JUST got the 160s, they shouldnt even be considered for anything

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Were you actually expecting that the r32's and r46's will stay in service for another 10-15 years?? For what?? So that subway service continues to be delayed due to mechanical issues??

Do you know how annoying it is to get to work or school late because the train broke down?

The real reason why there is a subway car shortage is because the MTA did not order enough r179's.

The subway car shortage will be eliminated with the second option order of r211's.

I'm not saying I'm expecting the R46s to stay for 10 years or was expecting the R32s to stay for another 10 years. My issue is that you guys want (MTA) to scrap subway cars when there aren't enough cars to fully replace them. We have a car shortage and (MTA) along with the city and state want to charge people money to go south of 60th st. The (C) needs to be 100% full length, The (G) basically needs to be full length as well.

The R46's will retire but they shouldn't retire them as soon as the first few production R211s goes into service. Can't be short on subway cars when congestion pricing becomes a thing since the ridership would double. We have thousands of migrants on top of potential passengers who aren't going to spend money on LIRR or Express buses to take the subway if they can't drive into the city, That's a lot of damn people. Once they have enough cars for the (C) and (G) or any other service enhancements and increased spare factor then they can retire the R46s with no issue.

You guys also forget that the first 110 R211 cars are the replacements of the last 110 R32s that were retired last year.

41 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

nothing should go to Jamaica they JUST got the 160s, they shouldnt even be considered for anything

So.... Jamaica should and will get the R211s. Them being all R160s was to have a 100% CBTC compatible fleet. Subway cars move around and this would be no different. The Siemens R160s would be the first to go. The R211s are built for high capacity routes. The (E)  and (F) have the highest ridership in the B division. That alone warrants them to get these cars esp if option order 2 is open gangway.

Edited by R32 3838