R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I would wait until all the r46's are gone from the A.

The C doesn't have that many r46's

The C has a lot of 8 car r179's and those trains ain't leaving the C anytime soon.

They had an extra 8-car R179 train given from the (J)(Z)  pool (3138-3149). Even though it's one, it's just in-case 207 St doesn't have enough R179s for the (C). ENY has a fair spare count since the (J) shares equipment with the (M) and (L) . 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

its 20 cars per month not 30 IIRC

For now it's 20 cars, but if production start to run 24/7, we could probably see 10 car trains delivered per week and we could probably see 30 cars entering service per month. Let's see what happens.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

They had an extra 8-car R179 train given from the (J)(Z)  pool (3138-3149). Even though it's one, it's just in-case 207 St doesn't have enough R179s for the (C). ENY has a fair spare count since the (J) shares equipment with the (M) and (L) . 

You mean 3145. You have 3146-3149 already on the (C) 

38 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Like seriously, It's what saying. The (C) can benefit from being full length sharing with (A) and the (J)(L) and (M) can possibly use the extra equipment. They didn't throw the R143s on the (J) for just foam and lols. Well the R179s were screwing up at the time but still, you get my point lol

Edited by Metro CSW

36 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

You mean 3145. You have 3146-3149 already on the (C) 

Yes, many thanks. They moved that pair back and forth with the (J)(Z) and (C), it's unknown as it was a loan or not.  But, right now, decided to make it in-use for the (C) to keep up with the spare count with the R211 and R46. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Yes, many thanks. They moved that pair back and forth with the (J)(Z) and (C), it's unknown as it was a loan or not.  But, right now, decided to make it in-use for the (C) to keep up with the spare count with the R211 and R46. 

Bet

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I would wait until all the r46's are gone from the A.

The C doesn't have that many r46's

The C has a lot of 8 car r179's and those trains ain't leaving the C anytime soon.

You do realize the r46s on the (C) are rotated from Pitkin right? There are no r46 sets that are assigned exclusively to the (C) .

And we don't know when exactly those 4 car r179s are leaving 207th yard. So let's not talk as if we know exactly what's gonna happen 'cause we don't. It's all in the MTA's hands what exactly they decide to do.

Cars are assigned to inspection barns, not to lines. The J/Z does not have any 179s. East New York has 179s. The only reason they are currently limited to the J/Z is CBTC

as I understand it, 207’s barn is not long enough to hold a full 600’ train. Looking at Google maps, it’s just a hair too short for a full train. One car would be partly out the door.

I know they’re making changes to the yard complex and this might include making the barn longer in the long run, but it’s part of the reason the C is 8 car trains at 60’… that’s all the barn can hold.

and you are not going to do just one unit at a time, that’s not economical. You want a full train in there.

20 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

You do realize the r46s on the (C) are rotated from Pitkin right? There are no r46 sets that are assigned exclusively to the (C) .

And we don't know when exactly those 4 car r179s are leaving 207th yard. So let's not talk as if we know exactly what's gonna happen 'cause we don't. It's all in the MTA's hands what exactly they decide to do.

The (C) will not be full length for some time the 179 will still be enough for a service increase if they decide to Run the 5 cars part time on the (C). It will not be 211 on the (C) anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

The (C) will not be full length for some time the 179 will still be enough for a service increase if they decide to Run the 5 cars part time on the (C). It will not be 211 on the (C) anytime soon.

As Kamen noted above, the (C) becoming 100% full length is contingent upon 207th barn being upgraded accordingly. It will just be weird if most of the base order is in and the (C) is still running mixed length. So hopefully work is completed by a certain time.

For the last part, I don't expect r211s to run on the (C) anytime soon anyway. The (A) is the priority right now since it is a longer and more demanding line. The (C) will be just fine with r46s until there are enough NTTs to fill up both lines.

What I didn't note in that previous post is that the r211s can end up with the same setup as the r46s currently at Pitkin, where they're being rotated with the (C) .

Edited by RandomRider0101
Added more info.

They aren't gonna have a choice next year if congestion pricing starts in the spring of next year to make the (C) 100% full length. This is why they should have waited until 2026 to start it instead of wanting to push it through into 2024. The only other way to kinda do this without issue is have the A-A R46 sets along with the regular R46s at 207th temporally until the option order R211s start coming in which would be by 2025-2026. This was an original plan back in late 2009 in order to fit 6 car R46s into 207th st barn when they wanted to replace the R32s in 2010 by R160s until they changed their minds due to the R44s. The (C)  would have been full length R44s (pitkin) and full length R46's (207th/pitkin) with the A-A units and other 4 car units being at 207th.

This is why (MTA) is retarded, They want to push this shit through but yet they aren't really prepared. The R211s are a step in the right direction but everything else should have been planned 2 years ago. 207th is currently getting worked on but no one knows if extending the barn is included.

There is no way they can pull this 60% 8 car 40% full length nonsense next year.

2 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

As Kamen noted above, the (C) becoming 100% full length is contingent upon 207th barn being upgraded accordingly. It will just be weird if most of the base order is in and the (C) is still running mixed length. So hopefully work is completed by a certain time.

For the last part, I don't expect r211s to run on the (C) anytime soon anyway. The (A) is the priority right now since it is a longer and more demanding line. The (C) will be just fine with r46s until there are enough NTTs to fill up both lines.

What I didn't note in that previous post is that the r211s can end up with the same setup as the r46s currently at Pitkin, where they're being rotated with the (C) .

There no talk about that anytime soon if they decide to rotate the R179 5 cars between both they will the (C) is only 18 trains.

10 hours ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

There no talk about that anytime soon if they decide to rotate the R179 5 cars between both they will the (C) is only 18 trains.

As long as the C has 8 car r179's, the 10 car r179's will stay on the A. It will be too confusing to run 8 and 10 car r179's on the C.

The 8 car r179's will most likely stay on the C until at least option order 1. 

The base order of r211's will just displace the r46's off the A/C. Just do the math.

As for congestion pricing, only time will tell if ALL subway lines will experience high ridership as a result of this. Keep in mind that there are drivers that will prefer to pay more on tolls than get on a train.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

9 hours ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

By 'no talk about that anytime soon' you mean the r211s being rotated with the (C) right? That's fine, like I said before I'm not expecting it to happen anytime soon since the (A) is top priority.

In reference to the 5 car R179s being rotated with the (C) - that's gonna be complicated as long as the 4 car sets are still on the C. Unless they combine the 4 & 5 car sets to make 9 car trains (temporarily) until 207th receives the necessary upgrades for 10 car trains. 🤷

1 hour ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

That makes it we have 20 R211s in service currently. 

Correct.

38 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

As long as the C has 8 car r179's, the 10 car r179's will stay on the A. It will be too confusing to run 8 and 10 car r179's on the C.

The 8 car r179's will most likely stay on the C until at least option order 1. 

The base order of r211's will just displace the r46's off the A/C. Just do the math.

As for congestion pricing, only time will tell if ALL subway lines will experience high ridership as a result of this. Keep in mind that there are drivers that will prefer to pay more on tolls than get on a train.

While it is true that there are exactly enough r211s in the base order to directly replace/displace the r46s from Pitkin, that doesn't guarantee that it will play out just like that. The C could become full length during the base order while some r46s stick around until option 1, which could then provide the cars needed to displace the remaining 46s.

Anyways, I don't wanna keep going back & forth on this stuff as we've done enough of that in this thread already. There are a number of possibilities that can take place with this order and we all should be keeping an open mind to that, especially for those of us who are not employees. So let's at least try to wait and see how this plays out before we reach any final conclusions.

Edited by RandomRider0101

Ykw? I think 4080-89 will be in service on the 11th or twelfth of this month while the next set (4090-99) will be in service on the 25th or 26th. This is just my prediction. It may or may not happen, but if the MTA wants two 10-car trains to enter service each month, that means 1 5-car set can be delivered weekly. It just makes sense to me. And most likely, they both will go on the A with 4060-69 and 4070-79. Then, by the end of this month, there can be 17 10-car NTTs on the A!

Edited by Ale188

1 hour ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Correct.

While it is true that there are exactly enough r211s in the base order to directly replace/displace the r46s from Pitkin, that doesn't guarantee that it will play out just like that. The C could become full length during the base order while some r46s stick around until option 1, which could then provide the cars needed to displace the remaining 46s.

Anyways, I don't wanna keep going back & forth on this stuff as we've done enough of that in this thread already. There are a number of possibilities that can take place with this order and we all should be keeping an open mind to that, especially for those of us who are not employees. So let's at least try to wait and see how this plays out before we reach any final conclusions.

What is the MTA's current top priority in regards to the C:

- Make the C 100% NTTs for 8th Avenue CBTC?

Or 

-Make the C 100% full length?

That is a question that only time will tell.

Any delays with 8th Avenue CBTC may allow the r46's to stay longer on the A/C.

3 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Ykw? I think 4080-89 will be in service on the 11th or twelfth of this month while the next set (4090-99) will be in service on the 25th or 26th. This is just my prediction. It may or may not happen, but if the MTA wants two 10-car trains to enter service each month, that means 1 5-car set can be delivered weekly. It just makes sense to me. And most likely, they both will go on the A with 4060-69 and 4070-79. Then, by the end of this month, there can be 17 10-car NTTs on the A!

It makes sense since the (A) has a few R179’s, they don’t need to quickly replace the R46’s yet