R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

41 minutes ago, Nitro said:

This is no conspiracy theory because I did my own research aside from wikipedia and I've been to most of the stations myself. Cut the bullshit do you even do your own research?

Here is another research topic, Look up the times the Ferry arrives at St George, and ow look at when the local/expresses leave St George. Look at when the SIR arrives at St George, then look at when the Ferry leaves St George. See a pattern?

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Here is another research topic, Look up the times the Ferry arrives at St George, and ow look at when the local/expresses leave St George. Look at when the SIR arrives at St George, then look at when the Ferry leaves St George. See a pattern?

In most cases the train leaves/arrives before or after the ferry left or arrived at the same time. All you doing is proving everyone else wrong and contradicting yourself. You'll only get the ferry after heading out of the station if you are lucky.

33 minutes ago, Nitro said:

In most cases the train leaves/arrives before or after the ferry left or arrived at the same time. All you're doing is proving everyone else wrong and contradicting yourself. You'll only get the ferry after heading out of the station if you are lucky.

Eh, ntbr, but all you're doing is trying to make this entire convo seem like you're the one who knows the entire New York...city. You Joined in on Saturday just to say 'Alr, f**k everyone else. I'm the big boy here.' When people like Kamen Rider, RandomRider0101, Bill, FLX9304, and others know a lot more than you do, bud. Because most of them work or worked for the subway and/or buses. Keep calm and stfu for everyone. Thank you.

Edited by Ale188

Just now, Ale188 said:

Eh, ntbr, but all you're doing is trying to make this entire convo seem like you're the one who knows the entire New York...city. You Joined in on Saturday just to say 'Alr, f**k everyone else. its my time to shine.' When people like Kamen Rider, RandomRider0101, Bill, FLX9304, and others know a lot more than you do, bud. Because most of them work or worked for the subway and/or buses. Keep calm and stfu.

Kamen rider didn't even have any proof of what he was saying was true lmfao. You just sound butthurt because you were proven wrong.

3 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Kamen rider didn't even have any proof of what he was saying was true lmfao. You just sound butthurt because you were proven wrong.

Except you have no proof of your own other than hearsay and literal bullshit.

And since you refuse to stop with your nonsense in this thread, your privileges have been revoked.

Edited by Cait Sith

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

SIR's headways are designed to meet with the ferry, hence why they are like that. 9 out of 10 times, they connect with both inbound and outbound ferries.

There's a bunch of SIR stations getting ADA upgrades over the next few years, with some getting elevators this year.

The car shortage has been pretty bad to a point where (C) service was reduced pre-COVID. The effects of said car shortage was also felt elsewhere in the B-Division, so it's not over exaggerated. It has had some noticeable effect with service over the years.

While the Lefferts Blvd branch of the (A) is the higher ridership route, the Far Rockaway side has never been too far off. That branch always sees good ridership(the ridership statistics proves that point). It's not as low as you make it out to be.

Take the bloody tinfoil hat off and stop posting misinformation and your own personal conspiracies. This is not the thread for your bullshit. This thread is about the R211s, not your conspiracy theories and misinformation.

Anyway.......

4050-4054 spotted yesterday going to Jamaica yard last night, got it at Forest Hills. I suppose it did overnight CBTC testing.

Yup, was on the F early this morning (Around 1-2am and saw it pass by continental)

4 hours ago, Nitro said:

Dude I already know this. They should have just kept the 32s, 40s, & 42s instead of buying those broken down tin cans also known as the NTTs. On the other hand the MTA had enough money to buy brand new cars if anything were to happen to the SMEEs. But no they went on with making brand new subway stations instead. The (SIR) still has car shortages to this day and you can see this with the headways. Look at what is capping them from running extra trains. They have to run expresses on a two track line during peak direction just to speed up service at the cost of skipping the busier stations like Grasmere, Grant City, New Dorp, & Oakwood Heights and the headways are 15-30 minutes long which is a ridiculous headway for a 14 mile line like the (SIR). In fact it is just as bullshit as the (M), The (A) Train to Far Rockaway, & The Rockaway Park (S) headways which do not see much ridership to this day because most people used to and still do xfer to the (E)(F)(R) or buses instead before this Covid thing happened. Now that the (F) is now the slow and unreliable line and most of that was because of the (E) &(M) merging and other problems that plague QBL to this day. It hurts everyone. Now with Staten Island and the little funding they get from the MTA because we know they like to funnel money around to the State's pet projects and backdoor deals. You still have people complaining that almost all of the stations are not ADA accessible in Staten Island. Still wonder where is the money for the accessible station in Staten Island? It's in the MTA's pockets.

It doesn't matter anyway since NYCT can easily order new cars anyways. It isn't that bad as you over exaggerated it to be.

Hello!!!! Subway cars don't last forever!!! Subway cars need to be replaced every 40 years. The r32's  were in service for almost 60 years and became a health hazard for train crews during COVID. That's why they were ultimately retired.

All NTTs are needed and are here to stay like it or not.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

And since you refuse to stop with your nonsense in this thread, your privileges have been revoked

Omg thank you so much lmao. Ever since this kid stated that elevators at curbs will cause car crashes and other garbage posted in other threads, I already knew he was full of shit and was most likely a troll or living in his own fantasies lol.

Anyways, nice to see the r211T still testing and such, excited to see it running soon.

3 hours ago, Nitro said:

She did. You don't read. And I was proven wrong? Check again, bud. Kamen is actually a trustworthy person unlike somebody who writes clickbait shit (yeah, you, bitch). So um, yeah, go back to crawling into your cage.

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Except you have no proof of your own other than hearsay and literal bullshit.

And since you refuse to stop with your nonsense in this thread, your privileges have been revoked.

Thanks, Cait. Much appreciate it. Couldn't agree more. And that's what the man gets for tryna f**k wit everyone else. (excuse my language)

Edited by Ale188

36 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

She did. You don't read. And I was proven wrong? Check again, bud. Kamen is actually a trustworthy person unlike somebody who writes clickbait shit (yeah, you, bitch). So um, yeah, go back to crawling into your cage.

Thanks, Cait. Much appreciate it. Couldn't agree more. And that's what the man gets for tryna f**k wit everyone else. (excuse my language)

And much info comes from the mods and from those that experienced their rides or operations on the R211. 

plus, for the revoked person: (SIR) does not operate as a subway. It operates as a rr. So if you’re looking to put CBTC on their tracks, you better come with $3B and tear tracks from end to end. That’s why Clifton Yard was rebuilt and renovated so that way it can handle the new R211S cars 

13 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

(SIR) does not operate as a subway. It operates as a rr. So if you’re looking to put CBTC on their tracks, you better come with $3B and tear tracks from end to end. 

Not sure this is 100% the same, but FWIW there are ways to put CBTC on a RR. I believe that was one of the more interesting things they did with CrossRail (Elizabeth Line) in London. 

9 minutes ago, rbrome said:

Not sure this is 100% the same, but FWIW there are ways to put CBTC on a RR. I believe that was one of the more interesting things they did with CrossRail (Elizabeth Line) in London. 

For US Railroads, it’s PTC (Positive Train Control) being installed on all railroads nationwide. CBTC is installed on subway tracks only. Every country’s railways are different from one another. (But that’s for another topic). 

As the season changes from summer to fall, the next round of 70 cars: 4130-4199 deliveries get interesting. I could well see 4200s by late this year, depending how fast these cars come in. 

Edited by FLX9304

11 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

For US Railroads, it’s PTC (Positive Train Control) being installed on all railroads nationwide. CBTC is installed on subway tracks only. Every country’s railways are different from one another. (But that’s for another topic). 

Right, and there was a similar situation in England. But they decided they needed 30 tph in CrossRail, and ETCS (their equivalent of PTC, I think) wasn't going to cut it. So they got creative and found a way to use CBTC. Now maybe the FRA would just never go for it. But if some transit agency here decided they really needed that, (Amtrak & NJT with the Hudson Tunnels, for example,) one would hope the FRA would consider some way to work with them on that. 

31 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

As the season changes from summer to fall, the next round of 70 cars: 4130-4199 deliveries get interesting. I could well see 4200s by late this year, depending how fast these cars come in. 

Yeah I agree. It will be exciting to have a quarter of the base order done by next year.  Assuming that, 100-104 and 4040-4199 will be delivered Once we hit the new year. Speed is key. Literally.

Edited by Ale188

2 hours ago, rbrome said:

Right, and there was a similar situation in England. But they decided they needed 30 tph in CrossRail, and ETCS (their equivalent of PTC, I think) wasn't going to cut it. So they got creative and found a way to use CBTC. Now maybe the FRA would just never go for it. But if some transit agency here decided they really needed that, (Amtrak & NJT with the Hudson Tunnels, for example,) one would hope the FRA would consider some way to work with them on that. 

So long as the system ain't too complicated. One of the main reasons for the long delay was the meshing of three different signal systems. I actually have to check and see if the auto-reverse feature west of Paddington is even operational because I completely forgot about it.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:31 PM, ArchytectAnthony said:

Omg thank you so much lmao. Ever since this kid stated that elevators at curbs will cause car crashes and other garbage posted in other threads, I already knew he was full of shit and was most likely a troll or living in his own fantasies lol.

Anyways, nice to see the r211T still testing and such, excited to see it running soon.

Wait, what threads did he do this in? Now im curious to see.

Anyways, 5th set did BIT (4090-94, 4125-29) would post a vid, but I'm too damn lazy tds.

18 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Not related to the R211, but PATH is technically a railroad under FRA jurisdiction and has full installation of PTC and CBTC.

On 8/25/2023 at 11:25 AM, Nitro said:

Oh they do. Clifton Yard can't even house most of the cars for the 44s if they need maintenance anyways and they would not be able to because they have to get their shit trucked to Coney Island for maintenance that Clifton can't even perform like an overhaul. That only causes more issues that the system currently has, Hence this is why the SIR has to deal with car shortages unlike the rest of the New York City Subway because of what the MTA has devolved into and the fact that they can't get their shit together.

SIR having more than one yard to house 75 R211's in the near future would be complete a waste of money.  We do not have that ratio of cars to barns in the other 4 boros do we?  Routine maintenance of the R44's is easily handled at Clifton Shop.  At this point, I doubt if they'll send any R44's to CIYD for major work.  They'll just scrap the car and use the good parts to keep the other cars going.  It would be a complete waste of money to do otherwise.  

P.S. & Edit:  After I wrote the above, I noticed the additional nonsense he posted and that he is now banned.  I just hope he doesn't come back using a new handle.   

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

6 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

SIR having more than one yard to house 75 R211's in the near future would be complete a waste of money.  We do not have that ratio of cars to barns in the other 4 boros do we?  Routine maintenance of the R44's is easily handled at Clifton Shop.  At this point, I doubt if they'll send any R44's to CIYD for major work.  They'll just scrap the car and use the good parts to keep the other cars going.  It would be a complete waste of money to do otherwise.  

P.S. & Edit:  After I wrote the above, I noticed the additional nonsense he posted and that he is now banned.  I just hope he doesn't come back using a new handle.   

75 cars is not a lot of cars, so there's no need for another yard in SI, unless the MTA decides to fullfill Gov. Hochul's wish of building a tunnel under the Verrazano Bridge to extend the R train.

IMO the MTA should seriously consider at least building a couple of light rail lines in SI.

SIR and buses don't do justice to Staten Islanders and crossing the Verrazano is ridiculously expensive.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m one of the firm believers that one, they should have ordered more “S” variants, and two, that the north shore branch can be easily brought back with the right amount of funding and push. None of this “light rail” and BRT crap.

BRT doesn't work in NYC. More subway lines (including extensions) are needed in the outer boroughs. Light rail can also work in the outer boroughs, especially in the Bronx, which has a lot of transit deserts.

Ordering all option orders of r211's will not only fix the subway car shortage on the B division, but it will potentially allow some lines to be extended and more service can be added on some lines.

4th Avenue needs more weekday local service, which can be achieved by extending either the W, the J or the Z. Also, CPW needs more weekend local service, which can be achieved by running the B during the weekends. Also, QBL needs more weekend local service, which can be achieved by extending the G to Forest Hills. These enhancements can be done once all r211's are in service.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

BRT doesn't work in NYC. More subway lines (including extensions) are needed in the outer boroughs. Light rail can also work in the outer boroughs, especially in the Bronx, which has a lot of transit deserts.

Ordering all option orders of r211's will not only fix the subway car shortage on the B division, but it will potentially allow some lines to be extended and more service can be added on some lines.

4th Avenue needs more weekday local service, which can be achieved by extending either the W, the J or the Z. Also, CPW needs more weekend local service, which can be achieved by running the B during the weekends. Also, QBL needs more weekend local service, which can be achieved by extending the G to Forest Hills. These enhancements can be done once all r211's are in service.

BRT doesn't work in NYC?

We don't even have real BRT.....

I can definitely see true BRT being used in the outermost fringes, but built in a way that would allow for a tramway upgrade when needed. Think LACMTA Orange Line.

Plenty of wide boulevards to do it.

(Waiting on the nonsense reasons why it can't be from the echo chamber)

Edited by LTA1992

17 hours ago, foggymetro said:

Not related to the R211, but PATH is technically a railroad under FRA jurisdiction and has full installation of PTC and CBTC.

IINM if your CBTC installation meets the specific set of standards in the law requiring PTC, it counts as a PTC installation but I could be wrong.