R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pictured on the previous page and this one is an open gangway set and they have regularly been making the rounds on the Queens Blvd. IND.  In fact, they have made the rounds on all IND routes, as well as most BMT ones.  There have been GO's out there.  I'm sure this is not the first time an open gangway set has been "burn tested" on the R and won't be the last time.  Obviously the vendor and NYCT's New Car Engineering Dept.  have their reasons for the repetition.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

1 hour ago, Ale188 said:

The softee was on the C doin Burn-ins. I'ma have to guess both Ts are goin in service at the same time.

I just hope that both open gangway trains go on lines that have huge ridership. If they go to the A, great, but if they go to the E or F, even better.

IMO, it would be a huge waste of money if the MTA decides to put both open gangway trains on the C or Rockaway shuttle, since both lines don't have the ridership that the E and F have. 

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I just hope that both open gangway trains go on lines that have huge ridership. If they go to the A, great, but if they go to the E or F, even better.

IMO, it would be a huge waste of money if the MTA decides to put both open gangway trains on the C or Rockaway shuttle, since both lines don't have the ridership that the E and F have. 

What would happen if the R211Ts when on the (G) line instead of the R160s?

Edited by ThatSubwayFan980

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

Not to go off-topic to the fleet class, but it is said that SMS on the R46s has finished. This is in effect as more R211s are arriving on monthly basis. 

So, basically, it'll be somewhat like 2 5-car trains per week instead of 1?

12 hours ago, Calvin said:

Not to go off-topic to the fleet class, but it is said that SMS on the R46s has finished. This is in effect as more R211s are arriving on monthly basis. 

Had no idea that was going on. I thought they were just patching up cars to keep them running another two years. How many cars got refurbished?

33 minutes ago, slantfan4281 said:

Had no idea that was going on. I thought they were just patching up cars to keep them running another two years. How many cars got refurbished?

The MTA president wants the R46’s OOS as soon as there are enough 211’s to match the amount of 46’s in service now. Note i didn’t say retire just OOS. 

11 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

The MTA president wants the R46’s OOS as soon as there are enough 211’s to match the amount of 46’s in service now. Note i didn’t say retire just OOS. 

Makes sense, they're on their last legs. But I'd imagine if the R211s don't have any issues they're not going to want a ton of R46s sitting in yard taking up space, and the lack of asbestos in the cars would make scrapping them easier. I guess in that case we're looking at a late 2024 retirement for the SIR cars and a mid-late 2025 retirement for the NYCT cars unless the first option order gets further delayed. 

56 minutes ago, slantfan4281 said:

Makes sense, they're on their last legs. But I'd imagine if the R211s don't have any issues they're not going to want a ton of R46s sitting in yard taking up space, and the lack of asbestos in the cars would make scrapping them easier. I guess in that case we're looking at a late 2024 retirement for the SIR cars and a mid-late 2025 retirement for the NYCT cars unless the first option order gets further delayed. 

Once the base order is done with deliveries, the first option orders follows direct. The (MTA) has already made the deal for first option cars. They will make the deal for the second option once the first option is 1/2 way done

15 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Once the base order is done with deliveries, the first option orders follows direct. The (MTA) has already made the deal for first option cars. They will make the deal for the second option once the first option is 1/2 way done

Correction: Once the R211T have finished and passed their evaluations then the option 2 will move forward with purchasing, realistically and regardless of option 1's completion status. It's looking good and almost close though.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

4113 and the other cars in its consist has the exterior digital signs off, train is running in service blank. Probably some kind of teething issue.

Or someone doesn’t know the computer controls inside the cab. That’s been happening on every new vehicle whether it’s a bus or subway. 

1 hour ago, Metro CSW said:

Teething issue? You do know that human error is a thing, right?

Definitely human error. This has happened with all NTTs past. I remember when the R160s were first coming in, some of the (N) trains were coming in blank because crews couldn’t program the stops, etc, but since by that time, it was the only route with R160s, riders knew to discern it from the (R), which only had the R46s. Essentially, if the train was not an R46, it was an Astoria train because of the mixed fleet of R32, R40Ms, R68s and R68As, none of which had that yellow digital sign on the sides like the R46s did