R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, Metro CSW said:

Teething issue? You do know that human error is a thing, right?

You foamers can be so annoying, yes I know human error is a thing but I've been riding NTT for 20+ years now and never seen any of the tech train car classes running in service with the entire train exterior signs completely blank until today. 

Also, most car classes going back to the SMEE era has had teething issues when new so I don't see the issue assuming this particular issue was an teething issue as well.

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

You foamers can be so annoying, yes I know human error is a thing but I've been riding NTT for 20+ years now and never seen any of the tech train car classes running in service with the entire train exterior signs completely blank until today. 

Also, most car classes going back to the SMEE era has had teething issues when new so I don't see the issue assuming this particular issue was an teething issue as well.

Guess you honestly haven't ridden enough new NTTs that had those errors. In YoUr 20 YeArS. Please.... They do happen but using "TeEtHiNg IsSuEs" as a reason for the obvious issues can be overused as best. They blank those screens because the new ops were still learning the systems along the way and didn't have comms to back them up. Stay annoyed, sir. 

Call me a foamer lol. Get the f**k outta my face....

Edited by Metro CSW

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Or someone doesn’t know the computer controls inside the cab. That’s been happening on every new vehicle whether it’s a bus or subway. 

The R211s have functionally identical automated announcement system interfaces as the R160s. On top of that, as part of the qualification class, you have to program it. You can't crew the train without qualifying on it and you can't qualify on it unless you can, among other things, set the announcement system. 

Technically, per rule, the Train operator is supposed to set the announcement system at the terminal. In reality, more often than not. we conductors do it.

If an NTT runs blank, more often than not, it's because the route isn't programed in. 

The other issue is that, sometimes, and this has happened to me with one of the 211s, the tachometer got out of whack and had to be reset, so the announcements were playing out of synch. 

46 minutes ago, zacster said:

Train without signs?  Happens all the time on the R46s on the Q.  

I've never seen an R160 without signs though.  Sometimes they aren't right but there is always something.

I seen R46s on every line that uses them with messed up signs. In recent years that's an common issue on those cars.

1 hour ago, Metro CSW said:

Guess you honestly haven't ridden enough new NTTs that had those errors. In YoUr 20 YeArS. Please.... They do happen but using "TeEtHiNg IsSuEs" as a reason for the obvious issues can be overused as best. They blank those screens because the new ops were still learning the systems along the way and didn't have comms to back them up. Stay annoyed, sir. 

Call me a foamer lol. Get the f**k outta my face....

Let me chime in here with my own experiences with the R142 NTT on the (5) line. Train properly set up at Dyre Avenue. TSS boards and we take off. Leaving Morris Park the TOD goes blank and then displays a black B. We arrive at East 180th Street with no announcements and no side signs. Two Motor Instructors headed home join me in my cab, along with the TSS from Dyre who is on duty. My C/R makes manual announcements and I tell the TSS to take over while I take a corrective action. I then open the circuit breaker cabinet and reset two circuit breakers. He panics (because I’m not authorized) and the two Motor Instructors watch me. The train pulls into Simpson St and everything returns to normal. Signs, announcements all okay. I take over and tell them that I learned the procedure from my “ big brother/ best friend “ who was an MS 1 in Coney Island Yard. Most RCI s in the IRT and all supervisors weren’t taught how to do that at that point. I used to tease them about it all the time. My three regular daily riders didn’t know the process but myself and the superintendent of school car did. He would occasionally ride with us because I was often assigned students and he, my conductor, my MS 1, and I all knew each other from before our transit days. It was definitely a teething issue back then and it’s probably one now. He and I recommended that my friends spend some time in East 180 barn because although the Bombardier guys were mostly gone the Kawasaki guys were there because they were testing the R142A cars on the Dyre line. I just learned something from Kamen Rider in the post after yours. It used to be the Conductor’s job to set up the announcements on the train but now it’s just the train operators who go to the yard for put-ins who do that. Gotta remember where I come from the Conductor is in charge of the train.It always surprises me that many rail fans don’t know that. My experience. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Additional information

14 hours ago, Ale188 said:

So, basically, it'll be somewhat like 2 5-car trains per week instead of 1?

2 5-car trains are equal to 1 full train. It's said at least 2 trains enter service per month, 20 cars (4 5-car sets) = 2 trains. 

12 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

Had no idea that was going on. I thought they were just patching up cars to keep them running another two years. How many cars got refurbished?

Less than 1/2 (from 744) the amount of R46s, total from Coney Island and with Pitkin. A chunk from Coney Island got a few upgrades such as looped polls and lighting and Pitkin only select cars with updated lighting. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

will the MTA ever add the extra features on the R211’s? Or are they still finding information on every station? What’s taking so long

It’s just not a priority at this time maybe after the order is complete the updates can be done but for now the MTA priority is having new trains just run. 

13 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The R211s have functionally identical automated announcement system interfaces as the R160s. On top of that, as part of the qualification class, you have to program it. You can't crew the train without qualifying on it and you can't qualify on it unless you can, among other things, set the announcement system. 

Technically, per rule, the Train operator is supposed to set the announcement system at the terminal. In reality, more often than not. we conductors do it.

If an NTT runs blank, more often than not, it's because the route isn't programed in. 

The other issue is that, sometimes, and this has happened to me with one of the 211s, the tachometer got out of whack and had to be reset, so the announcements were playing out of synch. 

No problem and thanks for that. 

Now that R-211 sets are mixing up with each other keep an eye out for one appearing on the Rock Park (S) . While I'm not one to know what the official car assignments are, I will say judging based off observations of how quickly R-179s took over the (S) they'll be quick to use R-211s once available. 

Regarding the Rock Park (S), the final R46 consist to run the line was around September 21st with 6018-6019-6021-6020. The line has been 100% R-179 since. 

24 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

Now that R-211 sets are mixing up with each other keep an eye out for one appearing on the Rock Park (S) . While I'm not one to know what the official car assignments are, I will say judging based off observations of how quickly R-179s took over the (S) they'll be quick to use R-211s once available. 

Regarding the Rock Park (S), the final R46 consist to run the line was around September 21st with 6018-6019-6021-6020. The line has been 100% R-179 since. 

The R179 should use stay on the (S) permanently, there’s no point for them to have the 211’s, they could eventually use 211’s occasionally

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

The R179 should use stay on the (S) permanently, there’s no point for them to have the 211’s, they could eventually use 211’s occasionally

Since they're expected to make up the majority of the (A) fleet, the R211s will likely end up on the (SR) at some point even if they're not used there regularly.

On the other hand, if the rumor about the R179s leaving the (A) end up coming true, the r211s will definitely be on the Rock Shuttle as it's part of the A's fleet.

2 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Since they're expected to make up the majority of the (A) fleet, the R211s will likely end up on the (SR) at some point even if they're not used there regularly.

On the other hand, if the rumor about the R179s leaving the (A) end up coming true, the r211s will definitely be on the Rock Shuttle as it's part of the A's fleet.

Where would the R179s go? Concourse?

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I think they are talking about the 10 car r179's.

IMO they should go to the C once the C becomes 100% full length.

The Rockaway shuttle will get some r211's, regardless if the A does become 100% r211's or not.

1 hour ago, Ale188 said:

ENY most likely

Yeah I meant the 5 car sets. If the 4 car ones went to ENY though, would they just swap them out for R160s to the (C) or just use them to expand service? I thought the MTA wanted to get C trains to 600 ft but weren't able to yet because they wouldn't have enough 5 car sets until the R211s arrive.

1 hour ago, slantfan4281 said:

Where would the R179s go? Concourse?

Rumor says Jamaica Yard. The TA supposedly wants the (A) to be 100% R211s, which makes sense for uniformity.

1 hour ago, Ale188 said:

ENY most likely

That would be the 4 car sets on the (C) since East NY is restricted to 8 car trains. We're referring to the 5 car sets on the (A).

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

ENY already has R179s. They aren’t going nowhere but sit in the (A) & (C)

Maybe for now, but things can change in the future.

**Disclaimer** 

Everything mentioned here is speculation. Nothing is confirmed yet beyond the (A) receiving R211s.

6 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Rumor says Jamaica Yard. The TA supposedly wants the (A) to be 100% R211s, which makes sense for uniformity.

That would be the 4 car sets on the (C) since East NY is restricted to 8 car trains. We're referring to the 5 car sets on the (A).

Maybe for now, but things can change in the future.

**Disclaimer** 

Everything mentioned here is speculation. Nothing is confirmed yet beyond the (A) receiving R211s.

R179s on QBL express would be pretty cool.

I guess the (A)(C) would be 100% R211 under this rumor? Seems kind of crazy to think how a line that arguably had the most fleet variety 5 years ago went from 3 types of cars to maybe just 1 (R32s/R46s/R179s). I understand the benefits of fleet uniformity from a maintenance perspective, but as a young railfan who remembers the 2009-2012 assignments, I will miss not knowing which fleet will show up. Hell, outside of the 3 types on the (A)(C) , the only lines with 2 or more fleets are the (L)(J)(Z)(N)(Q)(W) ... (do R143s still periodically run on the (J) ?)

36 minutes ago, slantfan4281 said:

R179s on QBL express would be pretty cool.

I guess the (A)(C) would be 100% R211 under this rumor? Seems kind of crazy to think how a line that arguably had the most fleet variety 5 years ago went from 3 types of cars to maybe just 1 (R32s/R46s/R179s). I understand the benefits of fleet uniformity from a maintenance perspective, but as a young railfan who remembers the 2009-2012 assignments, I will miss not knowing which fleet will show up. Hell, outside of the 3 types on the (A)(C) , the only lines with 2 or more fleets are the (L)(J)(Z)(N)(Q)(W) ... (do R143s still periodically run on the (J) ?)

I think sometimes. But it don't matter since the J/Z got 160s and 179s.