R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

They are common enough that one can wait half an hour at Penn or something and find one

I didn’t have to wait for an hour for an R211 to show up, the first train that showed up was a 211, last time I did wait for a 211 to show up, to me like 30 minutes to catch one

16 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

I didn’t have to wait for an hour for an R211 to show up, the first train that showed up was a 211, last time I did wait for a 211 to show up, to me like 30 minutes to catch one

He said half an hour (30 mins). Not an hour. just sayin.

So…

I am going to share something. 

I don’t want you all to start making random guess. I don’t want you all to start running around like proverbial chickens without heads. You are not to speculate about what I am about to say other than what I am specifically telling you.

so, that being said:

there are no R211s currently in service.

34 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

So…

I don’t want you all to start making random guess. I don’t want you all to start running around like proverbial chickens without heads. You are not to speculate about what I am about to say other than what I am specifically telling you.

so, that being said:

Why is that?

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

So…

so, that being said:

spongebob-patrick.gif

56 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Update, apparently at least one is working. The word in the crew rooms was there was a fault in the computers that needed correction.

the pilot set is currently platformed at 207.

Human fault. I always see this happening on both trains and buses: 

train faults: (1) saying the wrong stops at said station or platform 

(2) destination signs are wrong (ie NIS or opposite direction

(3) blank but operable. 

buses: (1) destination signs read NIS or see sign below (I used to see that lots of times or help give drivers the paper destination signs) 

(2) see (3) 

I guess some of those have learned a lesson or (2) on fixing signs en route

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

So…

so, that being said:

Thank you for the update. 

I checked with the dispatcher as I was leaving for the day, there is some sort of issue. Never got a straight answer as to what it actually is, but then again, I just wanted to confirm something was up. 

as of right now, dither chatter was moving more ENY 160s to the Charlie to free up R46s for A service.

and before any of you ask, we are not returning any older cars to service.

42 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

I checked with the dispatcher as I was leaving for the day, there is some sort of issue. Never got a straight answer as to what it actually is, but then again, I just wanted to confirm something was up. 

as of right now, dither chatter was moving more ENY 160s to the Charlie to free up R46s for A service.

You covered this well! I’m sure someone will ask or post something crazy still….

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

And now we wait for people to disregard your last sentence and start going “OH MY GOD GUYS GATE CARS ARE COMING BACK TO ENY!!!!!!!!!!!!” Lmao

I happened to catch 4060-4069 earlier while taking advantage of getting some R46 (A) clips with the lack of R211s. 

The automated announcements were going haywire skipping stops and playing announcements after the doors closed at each stop. By the time we got to Aqueduct North Conduit the train's display showed 80 Street next, then abruptly the entire announcement program went blank. Upon leaving Rockaway Blvd all the signs were off.

The R-160s notably had a similar issue with stop miscalibration during their first few years where announcements would not play upon opening the doors with the train thinking it's still several hundred feet behind. This still happens on occasion but I don't remember the glitches being this severe compared to what 4060-4069 was going through earlier. 

I'm curious to know if this or a similar computer issue is what currently plagues the grounded R-211 sets. 

1 hour ago, 4P3607 said:

I happened to catch 4060-4069 earlier while taking advantage of getting some R46 (A) clips with the lack of R211s. 

The automated announcements were going haywire skipping stops and playing announcements after the doors closed at each stop. By the time we got to Aqueduct North Conduit the train's display showed 80 Street next, then abruptly the entire announcement program went blank. Upon leaving Rockaway Blvd all the signs were off.

The R-160s notably had a similar issue with stop miscalibration during their first few years where announcements would not play upon opening the doors with the train thinking it's still several hundred feet behind. This still happens on occasion but I don't remember the glitches being this severe compared to what 4060-4069 was going through earlier. 

I'm curious to know if this or a similar computer issue is what currently plagues the grounded R-211 sets. 

Yeah our M7’s/M8’s did this as well (the M7’s still do it at certain stations). It has to do with the wheel counter thinking the train isn’t at the station cause it’s off by a couple of feet. 

Kinda surprised this wasn’t corrected when the train was still doing its 30 day test, if I recall an employee here also said they gave up halfway through and just made manual announcements to 207th.

16 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

BSo…

so, that being said:

Correct, there was one set (original pilot set) that ran yesterday.   The other 5-6 sets are temporarily sidelined....

The original set did have that issue resolved,  hence being out on the road.  As you and others have mentioned,  there was a slight car shortage on the (A)/(C) lines yesterday. 

Didn't help that a couple of trains went out of service around the same time...<_<

Edited by SubBus

1 minute ago, Kriston Lewis said:

A presser was held at Clifton Shops this afternoon showing off the R211S. During the Q&A, it was announced that the revenue test is scheduled to begin in March 2024.

Link to YouTube

And what will they be doing between now and then with it?  It's already been tested, hasn't it?  Why wait another six months?

17 minutes ago, zacster said:

And what will they be doing between now and then with it?  It's already been tested, hasn't it?  Why wait another six months?

It’s the first new fleet in Staten Island in several decades. Until now, the cars have not run at all (or substantially) on SIRT trackage on their own power. Crews need to be trained, the shop employees need to learn the equipment and computers, see if the cab signaling works properly and work through a litany of other things before revenue service begins.

Davey literally said it during the presser: If you don’t find any problems during testing, you’re not paying attention. They absolutely need to take their time and get it right. 

Edited by Kriston Lewis
Added clarification to the end