R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

6 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Anyway to get this back onto topic it appears that train crews who work on the lines that serve the Queens district are being called to get qualified on the R211.

If im not mistaken, the queens district are (E) (F) (G) trains right? If so, then i think this implies that the R211T might run on the (E) and/or (F) . Maybe.

Edited by ArchytectAnthony

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

If im not mistaken, the queens district are (E) (F) (G) trains right? If so, then i think this implies that the R211T might run on the (E) and/or (F) . Maybe.

Or maybe it’s for selected schedules where train operators that work on other lines get to operate the 211’s on the (A) 

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

The R32's have single handily saved RTO multiple times since the R179's came onto property. The TA should have learned that scrapping cars early before all the replacements were in was a BAD idea. Let's not forget the R44 fiasco.

I do understand what your saying, I truly do, but keeping at least 50 ten car trains of R32's on strictly reserve status until all the R211's came in would make sure that passengers aren't getting affected from missing trains and longer headways. If the (M) wasn't suspended on QBL right now it would've been even worse with the car shortage.

They managed to run them with switching cabs for 50+ years. They can do it for another 9-10 months, or however long until all the R211's are delivered.

That was before the pandemic. Once COVID-19 hit, the r32's became a safety and health hazard for train crews, due to the fact that they have to be switching cars.

Do I need to remind you that it was the r160's that were used with the r46's when the r179's were massively pulled from service in the summer of 2020??

The r32's are retired and are not coming back. Deal with it.

As for the r211's they will be fixed and they will be back.

Look, R32s have been run into the ground. We don’t even use them as work motors. Every pickup I have seen as an employee, and the sandlite trains, all have R42s as power.

We have exactly 1 train of them in fully functional condition and that is the movie train.

the issue with the 211s is not on par with the 179s. No one has been put in danger: it’s just cracks, leaking oil and the trains sliding.

the latter of which is something that happens this time of year anyway.

yes, it is going to take some time to get fully fixed, but that’s because we’re not half assing this. 

3 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

thats not how it works. Everyones supposed to get trained on the 211s at some point

I thought they had a schedule where they’re chosen a line to operate in, but that’s what I kinda meant to say, it doesn’t necessarily mean the 211’s will end up on QBL (E)(F) 

1 minute ago, Chris89292 said:

I thought they had a schedule where they’re chosen a line to operate in, but that’s what I kinda meant to say, it doesn’t necessarily mean the 211’s will end up on QBL (E)(F) 

they usually pick people at random for training first priority was the (A)crews now slowly the rest, might be cause NTTs are already there but who knows

We are supposed to know all active rolling stock in our division, regardless of what our jobs entail. 

Besides, not everyone picks one line and stays there thier whole time in transit. Some people move around. So someone who picked an F job might want to move to the A out of Lefferts one day. This would require knowing how to crew the 211s.

19 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

That was before the pandemic. Once COVID-19 hit, the r32's became a safety and health hazard for train crews, due to the fact that they have to be switching cars.

Do I need to remind you that it was the r160's that were used with the r46's when the r179's were massively pulled from service in the summer of 2020??

The r32's are retired and are not coming back. Deal with it.

As for the r211's they will be fixed and they will be back.

Get off your high horse. Your acting like I have nothing better to be doing then wanting for the R32’s to come back.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Get off your high horse. Your acting like I have nothing better to be doing then wanting for the R32’s to come back.

Hell, a lot of people probably are waiting for them to come back…with their 2009 cameras..those usb flip camcorders..and several other devices as ancient as those trains.

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

Hell, a lot of people probably are waiting for them to come back…with their 2009 cameras..those usb flip camcorders..and several other devices as ancient as those trains.

Well, no.  In 1964 those devices didn't exist.  They'd be using their Brownie, Instamatic, Super8, or Polaroid cameras.  And to use a phone you needed a dime and a phone booth but only for local calls.  And the subway was a 15 cent token.  In 1964 the newest R9s were only 24 years old, less than half the age of the R32 now.

And back to the topic of this thread, does anybody have any idea of what the status is of the fix?  I surmised that the fix is being put through a 30 day test which would be over if successful.  But was it?

Edited by zacster

37 minutes ago, zacster said:

Well, no.  In 1964 those devices didn't exist.  They'd be using their Brownie, Instamatic, Super8, or Polaroid cameras.  And to use a phone you needed a dime and a phone booth but only for local calls.  And the subway was a 15 cent token.  In 1964 the newest R9s were only 24 years old, less than half the age of the R32 now.

And back to the topic of this thread, does anybody have any idea of what the status is of the fix?  I surmised that the fix is being put through a 30 day test which would be over if successful.  But was it?

I think they are waiting for parts or they are still troubleshooting the issues. The (MTA) is being very tight lipped about this but people will start asking questions because for the past 2-3 weeks we only see 3 sets of them running.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:59 AM, Lawrence St said:

It's not being wrong, it's being logical.

If you didn't work for the TA, and you missed a job interview while waiting for the (C) and later find out it's because the MTA refuses to use old train cars, you wouldn't be upset?

No I won't be upset because I'm a sad loser that cares about running older trains. I'll be upset because no service is being provided at all.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

27 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

No I won't be upset because I'm a sad loser that cares about running older trains. I'll be upset because no service is being provided at all.

Exactly, there are some people that just can't accept the fact that the r32's are mostly gone. There are even false rumors spreading on social media that the r32's are returning to service. 🤦

The important thing right now is to fix the issues on the r211's so that deliveries can continue.

43 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Because they refuse to use cars.

Fixed.

You would make your point a lot better if you don't keep bringing up the fact "the old trains need to come back" and just say the trains should be in service. But even so those trains are a safety hazard and outdated both mechanically and modernly. I would not want to keep running in a crowded train every time I have to switch sides when going from a side platform to an island platform or something of that nature.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Exactly, there are some people that just can't accept the fact that the r32's are mostly gone. There are even false rumors spreading on social media that the r32's are returning to service. 🤦

The important thing right now is to fix the issues on the r211's so that deliveries can continue.

You make me laugh with your comments. Grow up.

30 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Fixed.

You would make your point a lot better if you don't keep bringing up the fact "the old trains need to come back" and just say the trains should be in service. But even so those trains are a safety hazard and outdated both mechanically and modernly. I would not want to keep running in a crowded train every time I have to switch sides when going from a side platform to an island platform or something of that nature.

That’s what I mean in the long run. 

Can we please drop this topic and move on now? This is the R211 Discussion thread.

The R32s have been officially retired for almost 2 years now, and nothing anyone says on here or elsewhere is gonna change that fact. 

We all know that the R46s have issues, as will any car that's approaching 50 years of age. But the issues do not warrant an even older generation of cars being in service just to have them. They have enough cars to make service & that's all that matters right now.

Just like with any other subway car we've had, the R211s are currently having teething issues that will eventually be fixed. It's really not that big of a deal.

If you feel like (MTA) made a mistake retiring the R32s when they did, that's fine; you're entitled to your opinion but it is just that, an opinion. Just because you feel that way doesn't make it fact.

Now for the sake of all parties involved, let's all keep calm & carry on.

20 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Can we please drop this topic and move on now? This is the R211 Discussion thread.

The R32s have been officially retired for almost 2 years now, and nothing anyone says on here or elsewhere is gonna change that fact. 

We all know that the R46s have issues, as will any car that's approaching 50 years of age. But the issues do not warrant an even older generation of cars being in service just to have them. They have enough cars to make service & that's all that matters right now.

Just like with any other subway car we've had, the R211s are currently having teething issues that will eventually be fixed. It's really not that big of a deal.

If you feel like (MTA) made a mistake retiring the R32s when they did, that's fine; you're entitled to your opinion but it is just that, an opinion. Just because you feel that way doesn't make it fact.

Now for the sake of all parties involved, let's all keep calm & carry on.

Who are you to be telling members what they can and can not discuss here? For the past month all you’ve done is insert your unwanted two cents into any discussion remotely regarding the R211’s, which last I checked, the R32’s is apart of.

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Who are you to be telling members what they can and can not discuss here? For the past month all you’ve done is insert your unwanted two cents into any discussion remotely regarding the R211’s, which last I checked, the R32’s is apart of.

I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm just asking if we can move on from this. This convo has been had so many times before and it seems like it can never be settled. The cars in question are no longer in service and haven't been for years now. The R211s are replacing the R46s, so that should be the main focus here.

I've barely posted on these forums for the past few months. So your remark about my 'unwanted 2 cents' is not really accurate, but whatever I guess.

Several months ago, I pointed out that the size of an inspection shop had a direct correlation to how many trains it can support and therefor how many lines could be based there. 

Another factor I would now like to bring in is the logistics that goes in to the repair and inspection shops. If, as an example, we kept the 32s in active service at Pitkin for the A and C… then Pitkin would need to set aside storage space for parts for four different car classes. 32, 46, 179 and 211.

that’s another serious issue that does not get discussed, replacement parts. Department of Car Equipment was having discussions about cannibalizing the master controllers in one cab of some R46 sets to maintain the others, effectively locking them as fixed 8 car trains.

i must point out what that bit of information came from a line superintendent about a year ago. So in the meantime they probably changed their minds and decided not to go through with that.

but that is a serious issue, we can’t get replacement parts. And if we could get them, given the short remaining service lives of the 46s, we might order too much and be stuck with extra or order too little and go back to square one.

and remember, right now I’m talking about the R46s. The R32s were even worse at parts availability and their MDBF was absolutely in the toilet.

Keeping them around for the sake of 8 minute headways instead of 10 on the C in the off peak was not worth the obvious headaches the decision makers knew would happen if we did that.

9 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yep you are right many people still can’t let go the R32. They have to accept the fact these trains are too old and where put to rest in peace. The R211 are the priority just like you said. 

Like @RandomRider0101 said, y’all are literally talking about everything except these Walmart-brand M9s. Like we get it, the R38’s dad is dead, and never coming back into full passenger service. We know that the 211s are getting their issues fixed for the next few weeks. And then the much cleaner R44s thread is already existent for y’all to put your thoughts on them for. I’m not tryna be rude here, but there are different threads for different subway classes.

Here's the thing, Nobody is saying the R32s are coming back are wanting them to comeback. All i stated is that (MTA) got too overconfident in the R211s thinking they'll work out of the box hence not needing the R32s anymore. On top of that ridership was low compared to now so it made sense to retire the R32s on paper since they wouldn't need them. It kinda backfired and now the R46s they wanted to retire or set aside in storage, they have to use them due to the issues with the R211s.

But it seems too many people don't read well and jump to conclusions and get very aggressive without understanding what people are saying. Nobody wants to sit here and wait 20-30 mins for a train because they have no equipment to run since they are short. There were days where they had the available crew and they had no equipment since they were short on the (C) line. back in 2021-2022. We know the crew shortage is bad but having a shortage of equipment is even more bad. It's been going on for years and it's getting tiring.

It's weird that they have been very tight lipped when it comes to the R211s. But I'm not going to sit here and act like things are good when this damn agency wants to f**k with people lives because they can't budget right and want to do sneaky cuts while saying we want $15 from motorists because we suck at budgeting. 

2024 is going to be a shitshow and if they can't fix these issues by early next year, It's going to be a problem.