R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, slantfan4281 said:

When the car acceptance facility is completed, will that speed up deliveries?

Also, is the facility a temporary building until the 211 order is complete, or will they keep it for future orders (262s, 268s, etc.)

they did turn that temporary inspection barn in Fresh Pond Yard built for the Myrtle Viaduct replacement shuttle into a permanent diesel repair shop, so who knows. 

4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

That would be 4145, and this train was reported 2 days ago on the last page.

Sorry. Was typing fast as I could, and it was my first time seeing that set in service. Hopefully the R211s keep coming in at this rate, so we can see the R46s shifted

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Sorry. Was typing fast as I could, and it was my first time seeing that set in service. Hopefully the R211s keep coming in at this rate, so we can see the R46s shifted

Yeah I agree. I rode the R211s for the 1st time last week & it was definitely an exciting experience, especially with the R211Ts. It was pretty surreal seeing open gangways in action for the first time. I really hope there is a way to make open gangways work in NYCT so that this can become the standard moving forward.

5 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

I kind of thought so but was not 100% sure! Thanks!!!!

No problem. Someone posts reels on Youtube on the day of delivery so thats help. Keep a look out if you can.

Wednesdays and Thursdays.

More to add, 4175-79 and 4155-59 are the only sets at CIY awaiting final inspections. They got shoes, boys!

4180 or 4200 might be next to roll in. We'll see.

Edited by Metro CSW

On Friday I rode on the R211T.  From a passenger perspective I like the train.  I rode northbound from Chambers St. to 168 and southbound 168 to Hoyt Schermerhorn.   It ran nice, except for the hard stops made at the overwhelming majority of stations!   I can live with all the new "bells and whistles".  But from the perspective of operation, I have big issues.

I am going by the rules of NYCT.  I don't want to hear about Toronto or systems in Europe that have similar open gangways, because I don't know their rules for train operation, nor do I know if they have automatic tripping devices which would activate due to an obstruction on the roadbed not seen by the train operator till it's too late.  All I know are the rules for operation at NYCT as per the procedures described below . 

In the case of a BIE, he is required to fully inspect the train from the roadbed if it re-charges.  Debris or a body, they would have struck the automatic tripping device or a stop arm coming up underneath the train before it cleared, or maybe even if no cause is found (this would mean a problem with the train which the t/o would not be able to diagnose).  In case of no clearance areas, the t/o must check in between the cars.  There-in is the problem as his only entrance to the roadbed with the R211T is out the front (or rear 600' away) door. So instead, he has to go into the car body (while getting peppered with harassing and cussing passengers and he has no time to explain the process) and open a side door to climb down.  But suppose there are bench walls in the way on both sides (or some other obstruction) as in an under river tube? Now he can't check underneath the car/from between cars.  Multiply that by several other cars.  Now he moves the train and it goes BIE again because he couldn't carefully check under the whole train.  This is what we're up against as the T/O, Control Center and right up the line as we get into the decision makers.  Also, looking in between the cars from inside a station, you can't get down in between cars because there are no steps, plus there is some piece of hardware protruding preventing one from even reaching the roadbed from the platform.  Of course, the same is true if the train goes BIE in between stations and the t/o is walking the bench wall, he still can't get down in between cars from that way either.

Just wait for the first 12-9 they have with these cars and the body is somewhere under the train and they can't find the body because it's SOMEWHERE!  Police and Fire Department will call NYCT on the carpet about these cars.  Enjoy them while you can, because sometime in 2024 they will be permanently relegated to the Rockaway Shuttle. 

Put that into your vaping pipes and smoke it! 

52 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

On Friday I rode on the R211T.  From a passenger perspective I like the train.  I rode northbound from Chambers St. to 168 and southbound 168 to Hoyt Schermerhorn.   It ran nice, except for the hard stops made at the overwhelming majority of stations!   I can live with all the new "bells and whistles".  But from the perspective of operation, I have big issues.

I am going by the rules of NYCT.  I don't want to hear about Toronto or systems in Europe that have similar open gangways, because I don't know their rules for train operation, nor do I know if they have automatic tripping devices which would activate due to an obstruction on the roadbed not seen by the train operator till it's too late.  All I know are the rules for operation at NYCT as per the procedures described below . 

In the case of a BIE, he is required to fully inspect the train from the roadbed if it re-charges.  Debris or a body, they would have struck the automatic tripping device or a stop arm coming up underneath the train before it cleared, or maybe even if no cause is found (this would mean a problem with the train which the t/o would not be able to diagnose).  In case of no clearance areas, the t/o must check in between the cars.  There-in is the problem as his only entrance to the roadbed with the R211T is out the front (or rear 600' away) door. So instead, he has to go into the car body (while getting peppered with harassing and cussing passengers and he has no time to explain the process) and open a side door to climb down.  But suppose there are bench walls in the way on both sides (or some other obstruction) as in an under river tube? Now he can't check underneath the car/from between cars.  Multiply that by several other cars.  Now he moves the train and it goes BIE again because he couldn't carefully check under the whole train.  This is what we're up against as the T/O, Control Center and right up the line as we get into the decision makers.  Also, looking in between the cars from inside a station, you can't get down in between cars because there are no steps, plus there is some piece of hardware protruding preventing one from even reaching the roadbed from the platform.  Of course, the same is true if the train goes BIE in between stations and the t/o is walking the bench wall, he still can't get down in between cars from that way either.

Just wait for the first 12-9 they have with these cars and the body is somewhere under the train and they can't find the body because it's SOMEWHERE!  Police and Fire Department will call NYCT on the carpet about these cars.  Enjoy them while you can, because sometime in 2024 they will be permanently relegated to the Rockaway Shuttle. 

Thanks for pointing out what many of us old timers see as an important issue. Most of us wouldn’t even pick a job on a line that primarily ran that equipment. Wait until a train gets caught up in the scenario you described and the public and the media will be screaming at the top of their lungs for heads to roll. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

These cars were ill advised from the start. I wouldn’t be surprised if they convert them into A units, put them on the Rock (S) or just retire them.

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

These cars were ill advised from the start. I wouldn’t be surprised if they convert them into A units, put them on the Rock (S) or just retire them.

They would look nice on the G line broken into 4 sets 

3 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Welp, so much for the gangway idea.

I started growing doubtful the more I learned about these cars, but I was still kinda holding onto hope that some kind of alterations could be made to the sets to make them actually work here at NYCT.

I hope they can just convert the gangway sets into standard sets. That way, they won't have the trouble of having to keep these cars isolated to a shuttle route.

59 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Welp, so much for the gangway idea.

I started growing doubtful the more I learned about these cars, but I was still kinda holding onto hope that some kind of alterations could be made to the sets to make them actually work here at NYCT.

I hope they can just convert the gangway sets into standard sets. That way, they won't have the trouble of having to keep these cars isolated to a shuttle route.

Without locking off each car it would not be easy to convert them.