R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

19 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Believe what you want, that set has been in service since the 27th from 3 pm.

To confirm once more this set is currently running heading Northbound at Euclid. Looking at it as I'm typing this. 

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question(s) for clarification since I no longer live in NYC:

1. If the goal is to eventually run 10 car C trains, how many R211 sets would it need to do so?

2. Are there enough 46's to run with the 211A's on the A line, move the 10 car R179's to the C line with the R46's and two 211T's?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, subway guy said:

Quick question(s) for clarification since I no longer live in NYC:

1. If the goal is to eventually run 10 car C trains, how many R211 sets would it need to do so?

2. Are there enough 46's to run with the 211A's on the A line, move the 10 car R179's to the C line with the R46's and two 211T's?

Thanks!!

There should be enough in the base order to cover for both the (A) and (C), the only problem is whether or not 207 St will be able to have 10 car length maintenance shops. Otherwise, those R179's on the (A) will not be going to the (C) and neither would the 8 car R179's on the (C) will be going anywhere. 

38 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

There should be enough in the base order to cover for both the (A) and (C), the only problem is whether or not 207 St will be able to have 10 car length maintenance shops. Otherwise, those R179's on the (A) will not be going to the (C) and neither would the 8 car R179's on the (C) will be going anywhere. 

they can always just cut the train in 2 and inspect it that way via 2 tracks instead of 1

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

they can always just cut the train in 2 and inspect it that way via 2 tracks instead of 1

Not as productive and pretty counterintuitive if you ask me. Even in the short term, it would suck because 5 cars are in the shop while many other 5 car sets have to wait their turn as opposed to yards like Pitkin, CIY, and Jamaica yard being able to handle 10 cars on one track in their shop.

3 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

The base order yes would suffice for the (A)(C) since it is 44 trains for the (A) , which is what is normally required including spare factor. Remove 10 of those R211s and move them to the (C), along with the 8-car R179s and 2 R211T trains. Boom. The (A)(C) are fully NTT. We’d have to wait for option 1 to see what happens to the R179s

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

The base order yes would suffice for the (A)(C) since it is 44 trains for the (A) , which is what is normally required including spare factor. Remove 10 of those R211s and move them to the (C), along with the 8-car R179s and 2 R211T trains. Boom. The (A)(C) are fully NTT. We’d have to wait for option 1 to see what happens to the R179s

Option 1 will make the C 100% full length with 10 car trains and may allow the G to get 8 car trains. If that happens, then the G may have to go back to CI. Option 1 will provide NTTs to the B/D.

Option 2 may allow the G to become full length with 10 car trains.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Option 1 will make the C 100% full length with 10 car trains and may allow the G to get 8 car trains. If that happens, then the G may have to go back to CI. Option 1 will provide NTTs to the B/D.

Option 2 may allow the G to become full length with 10 car trains.

Rolling stock line assignments is the decision of the people in Car Equipment. They are their own separate division within the Department of Subways, separate from us in Service Delivery/RTO. Whatever justifications they might have or feel, they can upend the entire fleet on a whim and a moment’s notice, that is how much authority they have.

No one who works there actively posts here, so all you have is us “Master Controller Jocks” and “Button mashers” from RTO to try to explain people we often don’t get to talk to outside of when something has gone wrong. 

that being said, word on high still seems to suggest the two options in play are:

A: send the option R211s directly to the D and Concourse.

or

B: send the option R211s to Jamaica and have Concourse get R160s.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:53 PM, Metro CSW said:

Believe what you want, that set has been in service since the 27th from 3 pm.

I'm believing what y'all put up. I'm just sayin

16 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Rolling stock line assignments is the decision of the people in Car Equipment. They are their own separate division within the Department of Subways, separate from us in Service Delivery/RTO. Whatever justifications they might have or feel, they can upend the entire fleet on a whim and a moment’s notice, that is how much authority they have.

No one who works there actively posts here, so all you have is us “Master Controller Jocks” and “Button mashers” from RTO to try to explain people we often don’t get to talk to outside of when something has gone wrong. 

that being said, word on high still seems to suggest the two options in play are:

A: send the option R211s directly to the D and Concourse.

or

B: send the option R211s to Jamaica and have Concourse get R160s.

I understand. That's why I wasn't specific in regards to what NTTs the B/D will get.

All we know for a fact is that Concourse will lose the r68's due to CBTC on 8th and 6th Avenue.

Ridership is growing and having 8 car trains or mixed length trains on the C and 5 car trains on the G doesn't cut it. Right now, there is NOT enough equipment to make both the C and G full length, but that will change once all option orders are in service.

Like she said. It’s up to the DCE to decide where these cars go to. If the cars go to this line and this yard, they will go to this yard and assign them to the line of their choosing. That’s why you see so many white/blue hard paper poster boards put all over on the 8th Ave line. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, NBTA said:

How many sets we got in service?

4040, 4050

4045, 4055

4060, 4065

4070, 4115

4075, 4090

4080, 4085 (OOS but went into service in August)

4095, 4130

4100, 4125

4105, 4160

4110, 4120

4135, 4140

4145, 4169

4170, 4175

4190, 4195

Lines: (A)(C)

130 or 140 depending on how you count it. I count 130.

Edited by Ale188

Posted (edited)

4135-39 are coupled with 4140-44. I told you there'd be some switch ups.

4185-89 were testing at Broad Channel.

4080-89, 4105-09, 4160-64 & 4180-84 on stand-by.

4150-59 continue burn-ins, expected to start by next week. We'll see.....

All else are active on the rails.

Edited by Metro CSW

31 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

31 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

So about 15, soon to be 19-20 sets?

On 3/5/2024 at 8:09 PM, darkstar8983 said:

it's possible as rumored that 10 car sets R179 is coming off the (A) going to Jamaica to beef up fleet size for (E)(G) lines once the option order start coming in, then we could see (B)(D) gets R211's, Car Equipment could do a 180 and send option order R211 to Jamaica, 8car R179 could go to ENY for (J)(M)(Z) services.

Btw i saw 4190-4199 in service on (A) 2 days ago at work.

7 minutes ago, JayJay85 said:

it's possible as rumored that 10 car sets R179 is coming off the (A) going to Jamaica to beef up fleet size for (E)(G) lines once the option order start coming in, then we could see (B)(D) gets R211's, Car Equipment could do a 180 and send option order R211 to Jamaica, 8car R179 could go to ENY for (J)(M)(Z) services.

Btw i saw 4190-4199 in service on (A) 2 days ago at work.

Right now, that’s just hearsay. Wait until DCE/DOS does it in action. Right now, these cars are staying on the A/C. So don’t believe any foamers. Wait until you hear from the bosses.