R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

2 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

Everyone seems to forget that this is the reason why the C does not use 10 cars. Also the MTA cares more about how many trains can they put into service vs a spare factor. 

The (C) was going to go full length 14 years ago but the R44 retirement nixed those plans and spare factor is important to some degree. The R32s had a very high spare factor on the (C) due to their age.

CI R46's run like garbage because they have a very low spare factor on top of losing their R160s. So now they have the majority of the oldest fleet which needs a higher spare factor.

Once congestion pricing kicks in, We are going to see some serious changes as the ridership shifts and changes overtime, This is why Option Order II is important.

On 4/24/2024 at 11:15 AM, Eric B said:

Every day, I see these signs and am amazed how years ago, we feared LED's could never mimic an actual rollsign. I then hoped smaller LED's would be needed. But they're using fullsized 4mm LED's with a wide pitch (RGB's can't be placed too close together due to heat), and it look far clearer that any rollsign ever could!

It wouldn't surprise me if a set or a group of cars have micro LEDs which are better and would really make those signs look like actual roll signs.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The (C) was going to go full length 14 years ago but the R44 retirement nixed those plans and spare factor is important to some degree. The R32s had a very high spare factor on the (C) due to their age.

CI R46's run like garbage because they have a very low spare factor on top of losing their R160s. So now they have the majority of the oldest fleet which needs a higher spare factor.

Once congestion pricing kicks in, We are going to see some serious changes as the ridership shifts and changes overtime, This is why Option Order II is important.

It wouldn't surprise me if a set or a group of cars have micro LEDs which are better and would really make those signs look like actual roll signs.

option order 2 wouldve been important regardless of congestion pricing especially since the 268 replacements are way far off

On 4/24/2024 at 12:07 PM, Ale188 said:

Yep

I'm also thinking why the MTA hasn't put the Ss in service yet is because they need at least a year of testing in order to put them in service. We might see them take action this month

Speaking of which, how long ago were they delivered to NYC?

1 minute ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Speaking of which, how long ago were they delivered to NYC?

May 3-4 of last year respectively; almost a year in the city

Edited by Ale188

5 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

East New York can’t even store the cars it already has. There’s at least 5-6 J’s parked in various corners every night.

again, the relocation of those cars is predicated on the expansion of 207’s inspection barn to hold full length trains, not the arrival of new equipment.

Thanks for clarifying the situation with ENY. Would it be more feasible to move the (C) to Pitkin while using 207th for the (1) ? Or would they be better off just ordering 8 car R211s if they decide to keep the (C) 480 ft long?

4 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

Everyone seems to forget that this is the reason why the C does not use 10 cars. Also the MTA cares more about how many trains can they put into service vs a spare factor. 

See response above.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

MicroLED's are still a ways off. This is where they are down to the size of TV pixels. You can see two displays at the Samsung837 Experience by the High Line, but the costs are prohbitive, and smaller displays aren't out yet.

They do have regular LEDs that are pretty small (like the ones by the food stands at Moynihan), but those are probably more expensive, and you really don't need such a resolution for the route sign; these are fine. (The tiny LED's might be good for the FIND, though).

45 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Thanks for clarifying the situation with ENY. Would it be more feasible to move the (C) to Pitkin while using 207th for the (1) ? Or would they be better off just ordering 8 car R211s if they decide to keep the (C) 480 ft long?

See response above.

we REALLY dont need anymore 4 car sets in the system, just kick off a few 179s to the (J) so the (L) can have a few more 160 sets for its planned electrical system upgrades

From a trusted the source; the R211S’s are having power issues and cab signal problems in certain areas of the mainline which is why they’ve been sidelined at St. George for the past few weeks.

Edited by Lawrence St

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

From a trusted the source; the R211S’s are having power issues and cab signal problems in certain areas of the mainline which is why they’ve been sidelined at St. George for the past few weeks.

Better now than later...

14 hours ago, Seth Jonas said:

what is the conset today

First of all, it’s consists.

Second of all, it’s all the same as in my update. Just the 4090 series went with 4115/35. So it’s 4090/4115 and 4095/4135 respectively. And the 421x series entered service recently. Not much changed

1 hour ago, Seth Jonas said:

i just saw on youtube 4180-4184 is with 4069-4065

This type of misinformation, sourcing......and above-all trolling is laughable to me.

I'll clear this one... AGAIN. 4184 is with 4079 as of Friday night's yard rotations, went to service service Saturday morning and 4065-69 is testing new software upgrades/overhauls at PIT.

Take another L cuz I don't see any videos with that consist nor within my yard records.

1 hour ago, Metro CSW said:

This type of misinformation, sourcing......and above-all trolling is laughable to me.

I'll clear this one... AGAIN. 4184 is with 4079 as of Friday night's yard rotations, went to service service Saturday morning and 4065-69 is testing new software upgrades/overhauls at PIT.

Take another L cuz I don't see any videos with that consist nor within my yard records.

If 4065 is testing, is 4060 doing the same?