New, Rapid Approach to Station Redevelopment Will Expedite Transformative Renovations at 30 Stations

BDNQ2345

I heard rumblings this was coming through friends who work at MTA. To me, it makes no sense. Those USB ports will be vandalized within a month of revenue service.

No joke. The regular outlets on the express bus practically come broken, and those get relatively little use

I'll take a look at that later, but I'm still firm on my belief that nothing on his list of proposals actually addresses the issues at hand. Making stations look a little better is nothing to sneeze at, but it does absolutely nothing to fix the overcrowded platforms and trains riders have to deal with on a daily basis.

The issue at hand is station renovations and streamlining the process so things get done more quickly and efficiently and less expensively. If things go well, then other stations (subway, LIRR, Metro North) will use the same process.

No, I didn't read anything about overcrowded platforms and trains riders have to deal with on a daily basis--you must have seen that in another article, not this one. 

But by the same token, if this works and stations can be renovated quickly, this will help riders--better stations, more communications to alert them of delays so they can plan their trips better and less waiting for renovations to be completed, etc.

I understand what you are saying, but a red herring is a red herring.

Through the 59 Street crosstown segment in Manhattan and the north-south alignment directly through the heart of Manhattan, the Astoria line connects directly to 19 different routes at:

• Queensboro Plaza ( (7))
  • Lexington Avenue–59 Street ( (4)(5)(6)(R))
  • Times Square–42 Street ( (1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E)(S))
  • 34 Street–Herald Square ( (B)(D)(F)(M))
  • 14 Street–Union Square ( (4)(5)(L))
  • Canal Street ( (6)(J)(Z))

It only misses the (G).

You can’t really do any better. You can only do worse (like sending the Flushing line there, which has less transfer opportunities and takes longer).

Exactly. And if you add the cross platform transfer to the (R), you can add PATH and the Staten Island Ferry to that list.

Through the 59 Street crosstown segment in Manhattan and the north-south alignment directly through the heart of Manhattan, the Astoria line connects directly to 19 different routes at:

It only misses the (G).

You can’t really do any better. You can only do worse (like sending the Flushing line there, which has less transfer opportunities and takes longer).

For what it's worth, it does miss the G but it's a short walk from QBP to Court Square. I guess not with luggage though. 

With regard to the station overhauls, I hope they take this time to reopen closed entrances (Looking at you, Northern Blvd) and maybe even add some. 

On the Astoria Line, the stations listed currently only have one pair of stairs at the center of the platform. If you're at the front or the back of the train, it can take many minutes to get to the street as the long line of commuters slowly trudges down the inadequate stairs. If trains are close together, the platform is often still clearing from the previous train when the next one comes in. 

Really, only additional exits are needed, so one-way turnstyles and stairs down at the front and back of the platform would do wonders. 

It only misses the (G).

Exactly why I proposed it.

Cuomo repeatly stresses he is adding a one seat ride to LGA. That's not true.

If anything he is creating a 3 seat ride (in my case it would be R to LIRR to Airtrain). I'd rather take the R to the N or even better just hop the B9 to 59 Street and stay on the N to LGA.

Plus someone noted (on a blog) that the MTA could use some of ConEd's land in Ravenswood (name of the plant IIRC) for a new storage yard.And if they plan the stations well you could also provide subway service to "Steinway" (as the Q101 puts it) and East Elmhurst.

I heard rumblings this was coming through friends who work at MTA. To me, it makes no sense. Those USB ports will be vandalized within a month of revenue service.  

USB ports will be power only.....

Never underestimate the creativity of criminal enterprises. Double-check, or err on the side of caution.

I live in Astoria, and none of us here really know the details of how they're going to close all four stations between 30th Ave. and 39th Ave. My guess is that they'd close the stations two at a time (every other station) and introduce some kind of bussing. Does anyone have more info on this?

I live in Astoria, and none of us here really know the details of how they're going to close all four stations between 30th Ave. and 39th Ave. My guess is that they'd close the stations two at a time (every other station) and introduce some kind of bussing. Does anyone have more info on this?

My understanding was that they'd be closed one at a time. Given that the furthest two of them are an 8 minute 0.4 mile walk apart - I'm pretty sure they'll have some manner of bussing, but I doubt it will see much use. 

I'm still curious as to the time frame and the logistics of all this. Even on the most conservative estimates, based on Cuomo's pledge to have most of this work done by the end of next year, a lot of these stations will be closed at the same time. That's on top of the partial and full closures already in the works as part of the Capital Plan. According to the 2015-19 Capital Plan, only a few of the stations (mostly on the Astoria line) overlap with Cuomo's proposal.

I'm still curious as to the time frame and the logistics of all this. Even on the most conservative estimates, based on Cuomo's pledge to have most of this work done by the end of next year, a lot of these stations will be closed at the same time. That's on top of the partial and full closures already in the works as part of the Capital Plan. According to the 2015-19 Capital Plan, only a few of the stations (mostly on the Astoria line) overlap with Cuomo's proposal.

They could spread the work across stations on different lines and different segments of those routes to minimize impact on passengers. 

Especially since he may be looking at a Presidential bid in 2020 or '24 (depending on whether the Dems retain the White House in November).

Two out of the three men in the room have already gone down. While he's not being investigated over the Moreland commission anymore, there are still investigations open into the Governor.

Two out of the three men in the room have already gone down. While he's not being investigated over the Moreland commission anymore, there are still investigations open into the Governor.

That may be true, but HE likely is thinking he can be President in 2020 or '24.  As long as THAT is the case, we likely will see stuff based on THAT.

Archived