New, Rapid Approach to Station Redevelopment Will Expedite Transformative Renovations at 30 Stations

BDNQ2345

Again, they really shouldn't cover good tiles with bad ones as was done with 49 Street and 4th Avenue.

Then again, this is a good chance to change the crappy looking tiles that 57 Street has.

Governor Andrew Cuomo layed out big changes to modernize the NYC subway system yesterday at the Transit Museum. It includes expanding Wi-Fi to the rest of the underground stations, along with along with countdown clocks to the letter lines (which was also unveiled at the Transit Museum; it looks similar to the departure clocks at Coney Island station).

Not only that, countdown clocks will be installed on the (7) line (the only IRT line that doesn't have them), and entering the subway with a mobile ticket on your phone.

Read more: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-York-City-Subway-Wi-Fi-Cell-Phone-Service-364677401.html

It's all a ploy to make it look like he's doing something without actually doing something. Either that or DeBlasio was going to make his own "transit improvements" announcement and Cuomo just had to beat him to the punch.

This came to mind when I read about Cuomo's "revolutionary" ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJpk6upQHcE

Wi-Fi, cell phone service in the underground stations: already in progress, to be completed by the end of the year

B-Division countdown clocks: in the works, testing in progress

full station closures for renovations: already done many times over

Psst. Mr. Governor, you may have made a big announcement at a press conference, but you still haven't done or are doing anything revolutionary here.

He's putting band aids on the MTA but he's not fixing the root issue of poor allocation of funds (inflated salaries, overlapping bureaucracy, and just plain old poor decisions like that SAS simulator).

If the MTA allocated its resources properly we could have done many of these projects a long time ago.

Bear in mind that I'm being pessimistic and I also only have a spectator's view of the MTA.

Governor Andrew Cuomo layed out big changes to modernize the NYC subway system yesterday at the Transit Museum. It includes expanding Wi-Fi to the rest of the underground stations, along with along with countdown clocks to the letter lines (which was also unveiled at the Transit Museum; it looks similar to the departure clocks at Coney Island station).

Not only that, countdown clocks will be installed on the (7) line (the only IRT line that doesn't have them), and entering the subway with a mobile ticket on your phone.

Read more: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-York-City-Subway-Wi-Fi-Cell-Phone-Service-364677401.html

You know (7) countdown clocks have been part of the CBTC package since that project was announced, right? This is basically Cuomo taking somethign that already existed and wrapping it up in brand new packaging.

Psst. Mr. Governor, you may have made a big announcement at a press conference, but you still haven't done or are doing anything revolutionary here.

I guess you missed the part about new design guidelines and the fact that these stations are prototypes for these designs...

If this new design guideline is anything like the London Underground's new "Design Idiom" (why they called it that I have no idea) then we are in for something good.

TFL came up with age groups for stations from the same time periods and came up with a list of features and colors common in the original designs and used them to create a modern design with historical elements.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/station-design-idiom-2.pdf

^200+ pages of station designs and work practices

I'll take a look at that later, but I'm still firm on my belief that nothing on his list of proposals actually addresses the issues at hand. Making stations look a little better is nothing to sneeze at, but it does absolutely nothing to fix the overcrowded platforms and trains riders have to deal with on a daily basis.

I'll take a look at that later, but I'm still firm on my belief that nothing on his list of proposals actually addresses the issues at hand. Making stations look a little better is nothing to sneeze at, but it does absolutely nothing to fix the overcrowded platforms and trains riders have to deal with on a daily basis.

No doubt. I'm with you on that.

We need a full SAS, the (N) to LaGuardia plus a new train yard near the ConEd plant,some subway on the Rockaway Beach branch to Howard Beach-JFK (as you can see in my sig I'm fond of the (R) being that route), the (3) or (4) down Utica Avenue to either Kings Highway or Kings Plaza and some subway to Southeast Queens( (E) or (J)(Z)- take your pick)

^That's Building to Lead...

It's all a ploy to make it look like he's doing something without actually doing something. Either that or DeBlasio was going to make his own "transit improvements" announcement and Cuomo just had to beat him to the punch.

This came to mind when I read about Cuomo's "revolutionary" ideas:

Wi-Fi, cell phone service in the underground stations: already in progress, to be completed by the end of the year

B-Division countdown clocks: in the works, testing in progress

Exactly. Nothing new, and no funding restored or re-allocated. He remains a complete asshat whose own vindictive policymaking is to the detriment of the whole region. I can't wait until he's indicted. 

No doubt. I'm with you on that.

We need a full SAS, the (N) to LaGuardia plus a new train yard near the ConEd plant,some subway on the Rockaway Beach branch to Howard Beach-JFK (as you can see in my sig I'm fond of the (R) being that route), the (3) or (4) down Utica Avenue to either Kings Highway or Kings Plaza and some subway to Southeast Queens( (E) or (J)(Z)- take your pick)

^That's Building to Lead...

Well I think think ts pointless to send the (N) to LaGuardia especially since passengers have the Q70 which connects them to Jackson Heights Roosevelt ave

Wasn't 110 St just redone a while back? Thats like the only CPW station to see even a touch of a makeover other than 59, 81, and 125 Sts

110 st on the (B)(C) still needs a makeover the ceilings in the station look like they aren't to last long

Well I think think ts pointless to send the (N) to LaGuardia especially since passengers have the Q70 which connects them to Jackson Heights Roosevelt ave

110 st on the (B)(C) still needs a makeover the ceilings in the station look like they aren't to last long

No it doesn't. The ceilings aren't bad. 103rd Street ceilings though is horrible

110th Street (B)(C) and 23rd Street (F)(M) shouldn't be on the list

True, and in my opinion, 174-175 Streets should be this list. I mean what is there to fix at this station? Reopening the abandoned northern entrance could shape a new image for the station. Especially when 174-175 Sts's ridership has grown over the past 5 months. Closing this station for rehabilitation would just be a living hell for people.

174-175 Streets shouldn't be on the list for station rehabilitation.

Yeah but the (N) won't get stuck in BQE traffic. Secondly, an extension of the (N) to LGA would leave room for extra trains to be added and provide the most direct, no subway-to-bus transter, to the heart of Manhattan with a connection to almost all lines to the outer boroughs.

I'll say this again.

These 30 stations were not chosen because they need renovations.That's why stations like Chambers Street and 205 Street are not listed.

These are prototype stations for new design guidelines.That's it.

Actually...I think that makes sense. Test the waters before you preform it on a station that needs actual work. See if the strategy can actually meet what is promised.

Yeah but the (N) won't get stuck in BQE traffic. Secondly, an extension of the (N) to LGA would leave room for extra trains to be added and provide the most direct, no subway-to-bus transter, to the heart of Manhattan with a connection to almost all lines to the outer boroughs.

Through the 59 Street crosstown segment in Manhattan and the north-south alignment directly through the heart of Manhattan, the Astoria line connects directly to 19 different routes at:

• Queensboro Plaza ( (7))
  • Lexington Avenue–59 Street ( (4)(5)(6)(R))
  • Times Square–42 Street ( (1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E)(S))
  • 34 Street–Herald Square ( (B)(D)(F)(M))
  • 14 Street–Union Square ( (4)(5)(L))
  • Canal Street ( (6)(J)(Z))

It only misses the (G).

You can’t really do any better. You can only do worse (like sending the Flushing line there, which has less transfer opportunities and takes longer).

Keep in mind that STDs apply to electronics just as it does to humans. Never stick a USB cable into a port that’s available for all to use. USB ports have been vectors for viruses and other malicious payloads. It’s also possible for a USB port to purposely fry your electronic device by delivering a high current or voltage.

What's the deal with the USB ports on buses and subways? I don't remember hearing about that before

I heard rumblings this was coming through friends who work at MTA. To me, it makes no sense. Those USB ports will be vandalized within a month of revenue service.  

Keep in mind that STDs apply to electronics just as it does to humans. Never stick a USB cable into a port that’s available for all to use. USB ports have been vectors for viruses and other malicious payloads. It’s also possible for a USB port to purposely fry your electronic device by delivering a high current or voltage.

USB ports will be power only.....

Archived