Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Not to be a douche, but that station was opened for a short amount of time (apparently). There might of not been enough time and ridership to even take a few photos of the station (I remembered seeing one photo that showed a station that was apparently 76 Street). And I'll be assuming no one really liked the subway at that time.

Not saying it does exist, but if it did, it would have been wise to take more than two photos.

The photo of the station and the train is a fake. It's been proven.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothin wrong with Queens Blvd It just needs a super express line to compliment it so that'll increase capacity for a future SAS service, allow room for a Far Rockaway service  ;) and more trains on Queens Blvd.

Where was the "76 Street" station suppose to be built?

It was supposed to be built at 76th St and Pitkin Ave

There's nothin wrong with Queens Blvd It just needs a super express line to compliment it so that'll increase capacity for a future SAS service, allow room for a Far Rockaway service ;) and more trains on Queens Blvd.

It was supposed to be built at 76th St and Pitkin Ave

I'm technically against building a bypass along the LIRR ROW because that'll mean passing through people's backyards and demolishing some buildings, so once again, I'd go for a new SAS line to Western Queens via 63rd Street and Steinway Street to relieve overcrowding on the (N) and (Q) trains in Astoria.

Or...is it possible to construct the bypass under the LIRR ROW instead of over it or beside it?

Edited by lara8710

I'm technically against building a bypass along the LIRR ROW because that'll mean passing through people's backyards and demolishing some buildings, so once again, I'd go for a new SAS line to Western Queens via 63rd Street and Steinway Street to relieve overcrowding on the (N) and (Q) trains in Astoria.

Or...is it possible to construct the bypass under the LIRR ROW instead of over it or beside it?

Under the LIRR or even half and half (one track above ground and the other underground). Speaking of relieving the (N)(Q) in Astoria I thought of re-routing the (5) through Astoria to LaGuardia via a new line branching off Lexington Ave at 96th St and onto Astoria Blvd

I would still recommend my service plan or bring back the (V) recolor it brown and send it down via the (R) to 36 Street.

How you propose that?

Under the LIRR or even half and half (one track above ground and the other underground). Speaking of relieving the (N)(Q) in Astoria I thought of re-routing the (5) through Astoria to LaGuardia via a new line branching off Lexington Ave at 96th St and onto Astoria Blvd

How you propose that?

If you did that you would cut off service to Dyre Ave and also cause delays for the (6).

And what I mean is to provide direct service from Queens to Lower Brooklyn.

If you did that you would cut off service to Dyre Ave and also cause delays for the (6).

And what I mean is to provide direct service from Queens to Lower Brooklyn.

Which goes to my next point...

• The Bronx 3rd Ave Line has 2 branches. (T) Dyre-Tremont and the (Q) to Fordham
  • The IRT Brooklyn express tracks extended from Utica Ave to Broadway Junction terminating the (4) there
  • The (5) runs from LaGuardia to Flatlands Ave; the (3) is expanded to Flatlands Ave as well. With this the Livonia Yard optionally is expanded
  • The (2) runs local/express in the Bronx :D
  • The (D) or (6) is extended to Bay Plaza
Edited by 2Line1291

How you propose that?

If the bypass is built, then the best option is to route it under the LIRR ROW all the way to Forest Hills-71st Avenue. I propose a new SAS service between Hanover Square and Jamaica-179th Street via 63rd Street, running express in Queens between 21st Street-Queensbridge and Forest Hills-71st Avenue and then local to Jamaica. (F) trains will now run express east of Forest Hills, stopping only at Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike, Parsons Boulevard, and Jamaica-179th Street; (E) trains will no longer stop at those stations evenings and weekends.

Queens:

Jamaica-179th Street

169th Street

Parsons Boulevard

Sutphin Boulevard

Briarwood-Van Wyck Boulevard

Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike

75th Avenue

Forest Hills-71st Avenue

61st Street-Woodside

21st Street-Queensbridge

Manhattan:

Roosevelt Island

55th Street

42nd Street

34th Street

23rd Street

14th Street

Houston Street

Grand Street

Chatham Square

Seaport

Hanover Square

This proposed service will be use the (V) designation and will operate at all times. However, it will be colored teal instead of orange, since it will use the SAS.

That sounds like a plan and the (V) is back. The problem with constructing projects like this is it's too freakin expensive but I feel as if interest rate in the United States is too high and the (MTA) missing deadlines on projects. Some care to elaborate

So what do you mean when you want ot reroute the the (T)? Are you going to build new tracks at 125 Street to connect it to the Lex line?

SAS (Q)(T) would continue into the Bronx along 3rd Ave stopping at

• 149th St
  • 161st St
  • 168th St
  • Claremont Pkwy
  • E 180th St
  • Fordham

At Tremont Ave, 3rd Ave line splits into two. the (Q) to Fordham and the (T) continue down Tremont Ave connecting at (2) E 180th St up the Dyre Ave Line with two new stations.

• Cortona Pkwy
  • E 180th (underground)

If the bypass is built, then the best option is to route it under the LIRR ROW all the way to Forest Hills-71st Avenue. I propose a new SAS service between Hanover Square and Jamaica-179th Street via 63rd Street, running express in Queens between 21st Street-Queensbridge and Forest Hills-71st Avenue and then local to Jamaica. (F) trains will now run express east of Forest Hills, stopping only at Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike, Parsons Boulevard, and Jamaica-179th Street; (E) trains will no longer stop at those stations evenings and weekends.

Queens:

Jamaica-179th Street

169th Street

Parsons Boulevard

Sutphin Boulevard

Briarwood-Van Wyck Boulevard

Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike

75th Avenue

Forest Hills-71st Avenue

61st Street-Woodside

21st Street-Queensbridge

Manhattan:

Roosevelt Island

55th Street

42nd Street

34th Street

23rd Street

14th Street

Houston Street

Grand Street

Chatham Square

Seaport

Hanover Square

This proposed service will be use the (V) designation and will operate at all times. However, it will be colored teal instead of orange, since it will use the SAS.

In the last sentence of my proposal, I meant to say the (E) will no longer stop at 75th Avenue and Briarwood-Van Wyck Boulevard evenings and weekends. Hence, (F) trains run express between Jamaica-179th Street and 21st Street-Queensbridge at all times, and late night (E) service will remain as is. (V) trains replace the (F) as the local east of Forest Hills-71st Avenue at all times. Edited by lara8710

There is room for six tracks of ROW between Sunnyside Yards and Rego Park. You'd probably need to reconfigure how the Port Washington merges into the Main Line, but it's not impossible, and Rego Park-Forest Hills is not a particularly difficult distance to close anyways.

76 St doesn't exist

You and I know that but there are a few people out there who have swallowed that hoax, hook, line, and sinker. No one who has ever worked at NYCT has ever set foot at this "station". The last Trainmaster in the system laughed at some of us when we asked about this supposed station. He also said that if we found this "station" the Tooth Fairy would be the RR Clerk selling tokens and the Seven Dwarfs would be the RR Porters..For the younger forum members the Clerk and Porter titles were what today's SA and Cleaner (TA) were called back then. My Station Dept .co-workers might also note that there was never a work program for a clerk or porter at this "station" nor was there ever a booth # or #s for this location.They have old station department work programs for the Chambers St (J) station, Myrtle-Jay on the el, to name a few as well as old RTO work programs like the Bowling Green Shuttle or the Third Avenue el that date back over 50 years but nothing about 76th St? Come on.This coming from a man who could identify any signal location in the system if you gave him the signal number. All that ever existed was an inscription on a model board. As he and some other RTO oldtime legends pointed out to me back then there's a reason I could visit the Fulton/Utica upper level at the (A), (C), station or the uncompleted South Fourth St or Roosevelt Avenue Terminal. They actually exist. People can believe what ever they want but I trust those who taught me. Knowing the total system was their job. Carry on.

That's not a good plan because it would mean running shorter trains, since the Nassau Street Line has shorter platforms.

If the SAS did connect to Nassau, what would most likely happen is any station on the Nassau Street Line used by the SAS would be lengthened to accommodate 600 foot trains.

Not to be a douche, but that station was opened for a short amount of time (apparently). There might of not been enough time and ridership to even take a few photos of the station (I remembered seeing one photo that showed a station that was apparently 76 Street). And I'll be assuming no one really liked the subway at that time.

Not saying it does exist, but if it did, it would have been wise to take more than two photos.

Not to sound like a bigger douche, but the picture you're referring to (which was the only one shown) was an R10 (or arnine, whatever) that was apparently at the station.

...only it wasn't. It was a photoshop of the 7 Av (F)(G) station

It doesn't exist, get over it

You and I know that but there are a few people out there who have swallowed that hoax, hook, line, and sinker. No one who has ever worked at NYCT has ever set foot at this "station". The last Trainmaster in the system laughed at some of us when we asked about this supposed station. He also said that if we found this "station" the Tooth Fairy would be the RR Clerk selling tokens and the Seven Dwarfs would be the RR Porters..For the younger forum members the Clerk and Porter titles were what today's SA and Cleaner (TA) were called back then. My Station Dept .co-workers might also note that there was never a work program for a clerk or porter at this "station" nor was there ever a booth # or #s for this location.They have old station department work programs for the Chambers St (J) station, Myrtle-Jay on the el, to name a few as well as old RTO work programs like the Bowling Green Shuttle or the Third Avenue el that date back over 50 years but nothing about 76th St? Come on.This coming from a man who could identify any signal location in the system if you gave him the signal number. All that ever existed was an inscription on a model board. As he and some other RTO oldtime legends pointed out to me back then there's a reason I could visit the Fulton/Utica upper level at the (A), (C), station or the uncompleted South Fourth St or Roosevelt Avenue Terminal. They actually exist. People can believe what ever they want but I trust those who taught me. Knowing the total system was their job. Carry on.

This...

Not to sound like a bigger douche, but the picture you're referring to (which was the only one shown) was an R10 (or arnine, whatever) that was apparently at the station.

...only it wasn't. It was a photoshop of the 7 Av (F)(G) station

It doesn't exist, get over it.

I had a feeling that the station might not be real and someone took the time to actually create a sign and take a picture in the 40's, but I had no idea that photoshop was involved. I'll still stand on my opinion of it's real and not real, but you and CenSin put more knowledge and sense in my head. Thank you.

If the SAS was going to be extended into Queens, it should have its own tunnel so we don't have many delays like when the (J) ran via the Mountage Tubes which cut back (R) service. I would suggest running it via te WillyB then break off from the rest of the Nassu street line.

Let me also remind you that Court Street has only one exit and much of the stations mezzanine is used for employees or for museum purposes.

About who suggested extending the SAS into the Bronx, that is a big no-no because Bronx is a IRT only borough. If you recreate the (T) bullet as a (8) and have it run via the Pelham Line instead of the Dyre Ave Line.

Any extension into Brooklyn is great. There Utica Ave in Brooklyn and Staten Island that could use a subway

About who suggested extending the SAS into the Bronx, that is a big no-no because Bronx is a IRT only borough. If you recreate the (T) bullet as a (8) and have it run via the Pelham Line instead of the Dyre Ave Line.

A SAS Bronx extension is already a provision. We have the non-IRT (D) IND Concourse that runs in the Bronx. Dyre Ave I see being converted to B-division standards mainly cause it used to be a commuter line and it has fewer stations, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Edited by 2Line1291

If the SAS was going to be extended into Queens, it should have its own tunnel so we don't have many delays like when the (J) ran via the Mountage Tubes which cut back (R) service. I would suggest running it via te WillyB then break off from the rest of the Nassu street line.

Let me also remind you that Court Street has only one exit and much of the stations mezzanine is used for employees or for museum purposes.

There's already a provision for an SAS connection to the 63rd St (F) line, something I took advantage of for a revived (V) between Hanover Square and 179th Street via a Queens Boulevard super-express bypass along the LIRR ROW. Therefore there's no need for a new tunnel.

By that logic, the (B) and (D) would not be on the concourse and the (B) and (D) would be very different today.