Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

It would be made clear the (M) to 96th/2nd on weekends is a temporary situation caused because of the (L) closure and the (M) unable to go to its regular terminal of 71st-Continental on weekends due to CBTC work in Queens. Also, the (Q) runs close to most of the spots the 6th Avenue trains do anyway (and actually is on 6th Avenue at Herald Square), so that isn't that big of a deal. You could also on weekdays if that did become an issue supplement the (M) in Broadway/Brooklyn and on 6th Avenue with an "Orange (T) " (with whatever capacity is left after the (F) and (M) on 6th Avenue) that can run to 96th/2nd (and if so, that becomes the weekend train from Metropolitan Avenue while the (M) otherwise runs its normal route on weekdays) as that would give Broadway-Brooklyn and 6th Avenue riders a one-seat ride to the UES and cut down on those transferring to the (F) at 63rd/Lex.

So, yet another one-seat ride that's going to merge off of one line (the (F)) and onto another (the (Q)), potentially delaying both services and limiting the number of trains that can be run on all three lines. As if we don't already have enough of those. Well, if this (M) service to 96th & 2nd is meant to be a way around the shutdown of the Canarsie tunnels, then it has to go away once the (L) is back up and running between Brooklyn and Manhattan, just like past G.O.'s that had the (M) turning at 57th & 6th. Because if the (Q) on Broadway isn't that far away from the 6th Ave Line, then there really isn't a need for an (M) on 2nd Ave at all, is there?

CBTC work on Queens Blvd has nothing to do with anything related to the (L) train shutdown and the (M) doesn't run on QB on weekends now anyway.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, yet another one-seat ride that's going to merge off of one line (the F) and onto another (the Q), potentially delaying both services and limiting the number of trains that can be run on all three lines. As if we don't already have enough of those. Well, if this M service to 96th & 2nd is meant to be a way around the shutdown of the Canarsie tunnels, then it has to go away once the (L) is back up and running between Brooklyn and Manhattan, just like past G.O.'s that had the (M) turning at 57th & 6th. Because if the (Q) on Broadway isn't that far away from the 6th Ave Line, then there really isn't a need for an (M) on 2nd Ave at all, is there?

CBTC work on Queens Blvd has nothing to do with anything related to the (L) train shutdown and the (M) doesn't run on QB on weekends now anyway.

That's now.  The point is, the (M) has to go somewhere, and 57th/6th, while it can be used as a terminal once in a while is likely not really viable as a full-time terminal on weekends for an extended period (that could be 1-4 YEARS because of the (L) shutdown) because the (F) operates through there.

The CBTC work has been given as THE REASON the (M) can't go to 71st-Continental or run on QB on weekends.  

That was why I came up with the idea of having the (M) go to 96th/2nd on weekends to supplement the SAS, when fewer trains overall are operating and delays are not as likely.  That morphed into the idea of an "Orange (T) " to 96th/2nd that on weekdays would be a supplement to the (M) along its regular route to 47-50. then running with the (F) to 63rd/Lex and then with the (Q) to 96th, while on late nights and weekends, this would be the line from Metropolitan to 96th/2nd, replacing the (M) during those times where the (M) would normally be running. 

So as I would do it, we would have as the 6th Avenue locals:

(F) as it is now at all times

(M) as it is now on weekdays (5:30 AM-11:00 PM)

Orange (T)being a supplemental line (most likely 5-6 TPH) between Metropolitan Avenue and 96th Street-2nd Avenue on weekdays while on late nights and weekends, replacing the (M) on the Broadway-Brooklyn line as this line would be running 24/7 (most likely 6 TPH on weekends and 2-3 TPH late nights).

That to me solves the issues here, especially during the (L) shutdown with the option of making the "Orange (T) " permanent once the (L) shutdown ends.

So, yet another one-seat ride that's going to merge off of one line (the (F)) and onto another (the (Q)), potentially delaying both services and limiting the number of trains that can be run on all three lines. As if we don't already have enough of those. Well, if this (M) service to 96th & 2nd is meant to be a way around the shutdown of the Canarsie tunnels, then it has to go away once the (L) is back up and running between Brooklyn and Manhattan, just like past G.O.'s that had the (M) turning at 57th & 6th. Because if the (Q) on Broadway isn't that far away from the 6th Ave Line, then there really isn't a need for an (M) on 2nd Ave at all, is there?

The only reason I proposed it is because its the easiest terminal to turn a Manhattan bound (M) train while providing service to all of the stops on 6th Avenue that it makes on weekdays.6th Avenue line service to 2nd Av is an unintended benefit.

If the MTA can run the (M) to Queens on weekends without FUBAR'ing QBL, then do it.

The only reason I proposed it is because its the easiest terminal to turn a Manhattan bound (M) train while providing service to all of the stops on 6th Avenue that it makes on weekdays.6th Avenue line service to 2nd Av is an unintended benefit.

If the MTA can run the (M) to Queens on weekends without FUBAR'ing QBL, then do it.

I wish they could. But that QBL line seems to have weekend G.O.'s scheduled in perpetuity. And when they start CBTC installation, it will really feel that way. I get the feeling that if the MTA and/or the City and State ever decide to take the proposed rail restoration of the Rockaway Beach branch from Rego Park to Ozone Park seriously, they won't want to extend the (M) there, even though that's arguably the best option not called an extended Rockaway Park (S). I feel they'd opt for the (R) instead, even if that leaves 67th Ave with only the (M) and its short 8-car R160 trains.

But you - and Wallyhorse, who has brought this idea up before - are correct in that 96/2 is probably the easiest place to turn the (M), while allowing it to continue serving the 6th Ave stops on weekends while the (L) is shut down. Yeah I'm thinking there's no way they'll be able to turn the (M) at 57/6 every single weekend or major holiday, no matter how quick of a turnback process it may be. Wally's "orange T" proposal is a different story, especially if it goes through the Chrystie connection in addition to the (M).

That's now. The point is, the (M) has to go somewhere, and 57th/6th, while it can be used as a terminal once in a while is likely not really viable as a full-time terminal on weekends for an extended period (that could be 1-4 YEARS because of the (L) shutdown) because the (F) operates through there.

The CBTC work has been given as THE REASON the (M) can't go to 71st-Continental or run on QB on weekends.

That was why I came up with the idea of having the (M) go to 96th/2nd on weekends to supplement the SAS, when fewer trains overall are operating and delays are not as likely. That morphed into the idea of an "Orange (T) " to 96th/2nd that on weekdays would be a supplement to the (M) along its regular route to 47-50. then running with the (F) to 63rd/Lex and then with the (Q) to 96th, while on late nights and weekends, this would be the line from Metropolitan to 96th/2nd, replacing the (M) during those times where the (M) would normally be running.

So as I would do it, we would have as the 6th Avenue locals:

(F) as it is now at all times

(M) as it is now on weekdays (5:30 AM-11:00 PM)

Orange (T)being a supplemental line (most likely 5-6 TPH) between Metropolitan Avenue and 96th Street-2nd Avenue on weekdays while on late nights and weekends, replacing the (M) on the Broadway-Brooklyn line as this line would be running 24/7 (most likely 6 TPH on weekends and 2-3 TPH late nights).

That to me solves the issues here, especially during the (L) shutdown with the option of making the "Orange (T) " permanent once the (L) shutdown ends.

You could do an "orange T" as long as it terminates at 2nd Ave (F). I can't see it being workable if it extends to Brooklyn and Metropolitan Ave via the Williamsburg Bridge. Definitely not on weekdays - would cause a logjam with the existing (F), (J), (M) and (Z) services.

You could do an "orange T" as long as it terminates at 2nd Ave (F). I can't see it being workable if it extends to Brooklyn and Metropolitan Ave via the Williamsburg Bridge. Definitely not on weekdays - would cause a logjam with the existing (F), (J), (M) and (Z) services.

As noted elsewhere, I'm only talking about adding as many trains as can fit during peak times on the 6th Avenue local with my "Orange (T)."

One way or another, the (M) is going to likely have to have additional service to accommodate those displaced from the (L) during a super-extended shutdown like this, so the "Orange (T) " is likely not only the way to provide the increase (likely even at peak times no more than 6-7 TPH), it prevents other problems on QB where the (M) and (R) are both running (and we already know about the (R) 's problems).  This also kills any potential confusion since it would be in this case the "Orange (T) " that would be operating late nights and weekends along Myrtle and Broadway-Brooklyn as this would be a 24/7 line between Metropolitan and 96th/2nd. 

According to my interest of nyc subway, I found a curved route operated by M train. I proposed it to run into The Bronx after 47-50 Rockefeller to

145 Street, instead of from Lexington Avenue to Forest Hills. So, its whole route will be from Metropolitan Avenue - Middle Village in Queens, to

145 Street in Manhattan. For peak hours, it will extend its trip to Bedford Park Blvd meanwhile D train is running express since those trains

operating that route is very crowded, and other customers wanted the next train to come quickly as possible, realizing that standing and waiting at

stations is too painful for them, and mostly wanted to be punctual on their own upcoming events. 

For the B train, since after the M train route change, B train will take over the M line. Overall, its whole route will be between Brighton Beach to

Forest Hills, and during rush hours, will extend to Jamaica 179 Street, take over the part of F queens stops, and meanwhile, the F train will run full

express in queens, from Jamaica 179 Street, stopping at Parsons Blvd, Kew Gardens Union Turnpike, Forest Hills-71 Av, Roosevelt Avenue-

Jackson Heights, and Queensbridge-21 St. As the result, a great wave of F train riders might get to Manhattan on time. Meanwhile, B trains that are

coming from Jamaica 179 Street are also running express from Forest Hills to Queens Plaza, while other that start from Forest Hills, are operating

local. During the PM peak hours, will be the same for Queensbound trains. Also, the B train in Brooklyn should run local since it terminates at

Brighton Beach, and Q trains operate express since it had four stations longer to Coney Island.

In Manhattan, starting from 2017, the Q train won't stop in Queens anymore. It will stop in Uptown Manhattan. Meanwhile, N trains will operate

express in Midtown Manhattan, and W trains will serve Queens, and terminate at Whitehall St, like it used to do before it was vanished in June

2010, due to insufficient economic budget. Then starting from the year 2050, the Q and T trains will terminate at 125 Street. Overall, that time, the Q

train will operate from 125 Street to Coney Island. 

The F train from Coney Island is proposed to run express between Kings Highway to Church Avenue, therefore from Coney Island, stopping at

West 8 street Aquarium, Neptune Avenue, Avenue X, Avenue U, 18 Av, and Church Avenue, and rest of stations ahead will make all stops.

For the C train, only rush hours, when from Coney Island, and F train stations ahead are crowded, C train is proposed to be extended to Coney

Island, and making all local stops to Hoyt Schermerhorn Sts. Overall, that is from Coney Island in Brooklyn, to 168 Street, in Manhattan.

G train, only weekdays and rush hours, will operate into Manhattan from 21 Street, skipping Court Square, running via the E line from Lexington

Avenue 53 Street to West 4 Street, then via the F and finally it will terminate at 2 Av. Overall, it will operate from Church Avenue in Brooklyn, to 2

Av in Manhattan. On weekends, holidays, and weeknights, the G train route which is not shown, will run local from Court Square to Forest Hills,

like it used to do before 2010.

Attention #6 train riders, you all want a quick ride to Manhattan DOB at 280 Broadway? You all want to catch the ferry on time? To make sure and

take everyone as a yes, the # 6 train will extend to Bowling Green all times, therefore operating from Pelham Bay Park to Bowling Green, stopping

at Fulton Street and Wall Street. The customers don't have to be stressed waiting for # 4 or 5 trains to get to the South Loop Ferry Terminal. Also

the #6 train riders can transfer to #'s 2, 3, A, and C trains, without getting off at Grand Central 42nd Street, having stress that they missed the

Shuttle, waiting for at least 10 minutes for the next serve to arrive, and squeeze through the crowds, taking the shuttle to Times Square, and have a

really long transfer to A, C, 2, or 3 trains.

For all the proposed notes above, here is my edited NYC Subway map, updated on January 5, yet finished on the fifteenth.

6nyz4m.jpg

As noted elsewhere, I'm only talking about adding as many trains as can fit during peak times on the 6th Avenue local with my "Orange (T)."

One way or another, the (M) is going to likely have to have additional service to accommodate those displaced from the (L) during a super-extended shutdown like this, so the "Orange (T) " is likely not only the way to provide the increase (likely even at peak times no more than 6-7 TPH), it prevents other problems on QB where the (M) and (R) are both running (and we already know about the (R) 's problems).  This also kills any potential confusion since it would be in this case the "Orange (T) " that would be operating late nights and weekends along Myrtle and Broadway-Brooklyn as this would be a 24/7 line between Metropolitan and 96th/2nd. 

they went nuts when they proposed the (V) replace the  (brownM) just because it wasn't the letter M and you don't think this T won't get the same response? Lets face it: Your orange  (T)  is an (M).

Just send the (M) to 96 Street on weekends. Make it clear that it is for the duration of the (L) project and the (M) will revert to its previous routing upon completion. We don't need any Orange (T) 's and I doubt there is any spare capacity on 6 Avenue to run one.

Edited by Around the Horn

they went nuts when they proposed the (V) replace the  (brownM) just because it wasn't the letter M and you don't think this T won't get the same response? Lets face it: Your orange  (T)  is an (M).

Just send the (M) to 96 Street on weekends. Make it clear that it is for the duration of the (L) project and the (M) will revert to its previous routing upon completion. We don't need any Orange (T) 's and I doubt there is any spare capacity on 6 Avenue to run one.

That WAS my original idea until someone elsewhere pointed out that those on the UES would also want the service on weekdays.  That's when I came up with the T that would supplement the (M) during the week and replace it on weekends, running 24/7 to 96th/2nd.  That also eliminates the kind of confusion the (MTA) tries to avoid these days, especially in Manahattan.  Those along Broadway-Brooklyn I think would understand that while there would be no (M) on weekends, there would be 6th Avenue and upper east side service on a full-time (24/7) basis with this format while the (M) stays exactly as it is now on weekdays.  

Wallyhorse, why are your proposals so big and...I mean this in the nicest way possible...dumb?

Well, what may seem dumb to some is stuff you do in some cases to keep pols happy.

In this case, Having the (M) supplemented during the week by a new "Orange (T) " that would cover Metropolitan to 47-50 with the (M) before then going with the (F) to 63rd/Lex and finally 96th/2nd was born of my original idea to have the (M) go to 96/2 on weekends due to the CBTC situation on Queens Boulevard, but then expanding it as it would be likely those on the UES would want a direct 6th Avenue line in addition to the full-time (Q) if that were the case.  With the impending (L) closure not too long after the SAS opens, that's why I would likely introduce such with the open of the SAS.  That likely keeps elected officials off the (MTA) 's back. 

According to my interest of nyc subway, I found a curved route operated by M train. I proposed it to run into The Bronx after 47-50 Rockefeller to

145 Street, instead of from Lexington Avenue to Forest Hills. So, its whole route will be from Metropolitan Avenue - Middle Village in Queens, to

145 Street in Manhattan. For peak hours, it will extend its trip to Bedford Park Blvd meanwhile D train is running express since those trains

operating that route is very crowded, and other customers wanted the next train to come quickly as possible, realizing that standing and waiting at

stations is too painful for them, and mostly wanted to be punctual on their own upcoming events. 

For the B train, since after the M train route change, B train will take over the M line. Overall, its whole route will be between Brighton Beach to

Forest Hills, and during rush hours, will extend to Jamaica 179 Street, take over the part of F queens stops, and meanwhile, the F train will run full

express in queens, from Jamaica 179 Street, stopping at Parsons Blvd, Kew Gardens Union Turnpike, Forest Hills-71 Av, Roosevelt Avenue-

Jackson Heights, and Queensbridge-21 St. As the result, a great wave of F train riders might get to Manhattan on time. Meanwhile, B trains that are

coming from Jamaica 179 Street are also running express from Forest Hills to Queens Plaza, while other that start from Forest Hills, are operating

local. During the PM peak hours, will be the same for Queensbound trains. Also, the B train in Brooklyn should run local since it terminates at

Brighton Beach, and Q trains operate express since it had four stations longer to Coney Island.

In Manhattan, starting from 2017, the Q train won't stop in Queens anymore. It will stop in Uptown Manhattan. Meanwhile, N trains will operate

express in Midtown Manhattan, and W trains will serve Queens, and terminate at Whitehall St, like it used to do before it was vanished in June

2010, due to insufficient economic budget. Then starting from the year 2050, the Q and T trains will terminate at 125 Street. Overall, that time, the Q

The F train from Coney Island is proposed to run express between Kings Highway to Church Avenue, therefore from Coney Island, stopping at

West 8 street Aquarium, Neptune Avenue, Avenue X, Avenue U, 18 Av, and Church Avenue, and rest of stations ahead will make all stops.

For the C train, only rush hours, when from Coney Island, and F train stations ahead are crowded, C train is proposed to be extended to Coney

Island, and making all local stops to Hoyt Schermerhorn Sts. Overall, that is from Coney Island in Brooklyn, to 168 Street, in Manhattan.

G train, only weekdays and rush hours, will operate into Manhattan from 21 Street, skipping Court Square, running via the E line from Lexington

Avenue 53 Street to West 4 Street, then via the F and finally it will terminate at 2 Av. Overall, it will operate from Church Avenue in Brooklyn, to 2

Av in Manhattan. On weekends, holidays, and weeknights, the G train route which is not shown, will run local from Court Square to Forest Hills,

Attention #6 train riders, you all want a quick ride to Manhattan DOB at 280 Broadway? You all want to catch the ferry on time? To make sure and

take everyone as a yes, the # 6 train will extend to Bowling Green all times, therefore operating from Pelham Bay Park to Bowling Green, stopping

at Fulton Street and Wall Street. The customers don't have to be stressed waiting for # 4 or 5 trains to get to the South Loop Ferry Terminal. Also

the #6 train riders can transfer to #'s 2, 3, A, and C trains, without getting off at Grand Central 42nd Street, having stress that they missed the

Shuttle, waiting for at least 10 minutes for the next serve to arrive, and squeeze through the crowds, taking the shuttle to Times Square, and have a

For all the proposed notes above, here is my edited NYC Subway map, updated on January 5, yet finished on the fifteenth.

6nyz4m.jpg

One small problem:

The (D) and (M) would have to switch tracks either at West 4th or between 34th & 42nd for it to work.  

It's one thing to do what I proposed elsewhere for the (M) on weekends having it go to West 4th (as the (D) and (M) would have to make the same change at West 4th and back in the (D) 's case between 34th and 42nd, but when fewer trains are running), it's a whole other to do it with the (D) and (M) on weekdays when MANY more trains are running on the line, especially in rush hours.  Once the SAS opens, maybe you can send the (M) to 96th/2nd, but I've adjusted that in my proposals with the impending (L) shutdown.

Wallyhorse,

I am not talking about (D). The service of that stays the same. I am regarding to (B). To let the queensbound (B) get to the queens blvd line, after it depart from 47-50 Rockefeller Center, the operator should switch track to Queensbound line with the track control, then it will command the track to slide the (B) to the very right side to run via Queens Blvd from the express track.

For the (M), from local track, the operator should command the track to slide left to run via Central Park West.

6nyz4m.jpg

you are literally putting Wallyhorse's ideas into map form. It looks so much worse that way! Ugh!

you are literally putting Wallyhorse's ideas into map form. It looks so much worse that way! Ugh!

Ok im very sorry whether this is hurting you. But may i ask you how i putting Wallyhorses idea into a map form makes so much worse, and how i fix this to make it much better?

I have to save this map to my computer! This is too good! :lol:

"This is a Lower East Side-2 Av bound (G) train. The Next stop is 34 Street-Penn Station"

In all honesty, I have to give him credit for the (G) proposal. Its one of those proposals they you automatically reject out of hand then come back to and realize it makes some sense. (I thought this way about that L to Penn Station and Grand Central a while back)

I have to save this map to my computer! This is too good! :lol:

"This is a Lower East Side-2 Av bound (G) train. The Next stop is 34 Street-Penn Station"

In all honesty, I have to give him credit for the (G) proposal. Its one of those proposals they you automatically reject out of hand then come back to and realize it makes some sense. (I thought this way about that L to Penn Station and Grand Central a while back)

LMFAOOOOOOOOO

Also Wallyhorse,

When one or more mta customers in queens are about to be late to any games taken in Atlantic Barclays Center, they can take the (B) thats coming from Jamaica 179 Street (express during peak hours), and reach at Atlantic Barclays Center on time, in case the (R) train (also can go to Atlantic Barclays) somehow comes little less frequently depending on track condition, and sometimes runs little bit slower in Manhattan.

Edited by chenvinny54

Well, what may seem dumb to some is stuff you do in some cases to keep pols happy.

In this case, Having the (M) supplemented during the week by a new "Orange (T) " that would cover Metropolitan to 47-50 with the (M) before then going with the (F) to 63rd/Lex and finally 96th/2nd was born of my original idea to have the (M) go to 96/2 on weekends due to the CBTC situation on Queens Boulevard, but then expanding it as it would be likely those on the UES would want a direct 6th Avenue line in addition to the full-time (Q) if that were the case. With the impending (L) closure not too long after the SAS opens, that's why I would likely introduce such with the open of the SAS. That likely keeps elected officials off the (MTA) 's back.

I'm not sure the Chrystie connection can even handle two 6th Ave-Williamsburg Bridge services without seriously impacting both (F) and (J)(Z) service. If there is a need for this "orange T" service, it should run weekdays only terminate at the 2nd Ave (F) station. Then on weekends while the (L) tunnels are shut down, the (M) can run to/from 96/2 - if necessary, of course. It might not be.

Then the pols would probably be upset if the MTA were to implement some of your more delay-prone proposals.

speedy service > one-seat ride

Not necessarily. I think they do value one-seat rides to a fair extent. Otherwise, junctions such as Columbus Circle, Gold St and Nostrand would have been straight-railed a long time ago. But to the extent Wally proposes, probably not. Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

I'm not sure the Chrystie connection can even handle two 6th Ave-Williamsburg Bridge services without seriously impacting both (F) and (J)(Z) service. If there is a need for this "orange T" service, it should run weekdays only terminate at the 2nd Ave (F) station. Then on weekends while the (L) tunnels are shut down, the (M) can run to/from 96/2 - if necessary, of course. It might not be.

Not necessarily. I think they do value one-seat rides to a fair extent. Otherwise, junctions such as Columbus Circle, Gold St and Nostrand would have been straight-railed a long time ago. But to the extent Wally proposes, probably not.

The "Orange (T) " is basically in this case a beefed up (M) train with the additional trains for a beefed up (M) going to a different terminal.  On weekdays, this would be just to supplement the (M) with enough extra trains on 6th Avenue to help displaced (L) riders (at first) while on weekends and late nights, it's the replacement line for the (M) and eliminates any potential confusion tourists and others might have with the (M) going to difference locales (as the (M) would be still via 53rd at all times its running and the (T) would be via 63rd at all times).  This also allows the "Orange (T) " to be a 24/7 line  even if its main purpose would be on weekdays to be an (M) supplement that goes to the UES at 6-7 TPH then as opposed to Queens Boulevard.  If proven to be successful with those on the UES, the "Orange T" can be made permanent even after the L resumes normal operations (and I would actually as noted debut this with the SAS opening if possible since the L closure is supposed to be not long after that.

Also Wallyhorse,

When one or more mta customers in queens are about to be late to any games taken in Atlantic Barclays Center, they can take the (B) thats coming from Jamaica 179 Street (express during peak hours), and reach at Atlantic Barclays Center on time, in case the (R) train (also can go to Atlantic Barclays) somehow comes little less frequently depending on track condition, and sometimes runs little bit slower in Manhattan.

Yes, but you still have the issue of the (B) and (M) having to cross over at either West 4th OR between 34th and 42nd, especially at peak hours.  My idea of the (M) to West 4th has the (D) and (M) doing that, but on weekends only, when far fewer trains are running overall. BIG difference.

Edited by Wallyhorse

The G concept is interesting, however, there is no capacity to spare in the 53rd Street tunnel. If there was additional capacity it would go toward boosting (E) service. The switch at West Fourth Street would delay service.

Your (B) is running express and running via 53rd Street. There is no switch from Sixth Avenue Express to 53rd Street. You could have the B run via 63rd Street as the switches are there. The problem with your service pattern is that the M would have to switches from the Sixth Avenue Local tracks to the Sixth Avenue Express tracks to access Central Park West making this pattern unpractical. See here.

http://nyctrackbook.com/Images/p14.pdf

Also, how are you going to have enough space in the Cranberry Tube for your rush hour (C) service. The capacity there is 26 TPH. Unless you plan on cutting (A) or (C) via Fulton this won't work. Why would you rob Peter to pay Paul, when Paul doesn't even need to be paid?