Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

2 hours ago, kosciusko said:

Wasn't calling for full privatization of the (MTA), I was just saying it needs to be de-politicized, the fact that the governor is allowed to meddle so much in the agencies affairs and funding is ludicrous.  The (MTA) should be controlled at a local level, not a state one.

That bay be true for NJT and MBTA, but for the (MTA) the governor and legislators in Albany have the final say into how the agency is run. Cuomo appoints the presidents and chairs, not the mayor, Cuomo was the one who was always showing up to the SAS worksites, not the mayor. What I'm saying is that the governor shouldn't be the big boss.

Two people separated by a common language, we are.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kosciusko said:

Wasn't calling for full privatization of the (MTA), I was just saying it needs to be de-politicized, the fact that the governor is allowed to meddle so much in the agencies affairs and funding is ludicrous.  The (MTA) should be controlled at a local level, not a state one.

The City had its chance to run the (MTA) and blew it when it went bankrupt.  If the City could control its own finances, then it wouldn't have needed the state to step in in the first place.  

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The City had its chance to run the (MTA) and blew it when it went bankrupt.  If the City could control its own finances, then it wouldn't have needed the state to step in in the first place.  

This was 50 years ago. Not even the same City..

9 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

This was 50 years ago. Not even the same City..

The point is the city couldn't manage to run the system on its own and quite frankly, they aren't prepared to do so now.  #1 bus service may be run by the (MTA) , but the City ultimately is the one (via the DOT) that could get bus service turned around and yet they've done next to nothing.  #2 The mayor doesn't even want to put forth more money for the (MTA) as it is and can't stop talking about the $2 billion the City gave years ago.  The City would need to put out wayyy more than $2 billlion to run the (MTA).  It's easy to talk about how this isn't the same city, but not so easy to state that they can actually run the system any better.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Things can change over 5 decades. It's not the 1950's anymore. We have the resources to take a "bigger seat" when it comes to (MTA) management, and quite frankly I think it's about time Albany handed us back some of the reins.

Either way it's not like the state is doing a good job of running the agency.

Edited by kosciusko

10 minutes ago, kosciusko said:

Things can change over 5 decades. It's not the 1950's anymore. We have the resources to take a "bigger seat" when it comes to (MTA) management, and quite frankly I think it's about time Albany handed us back some of the reins.

Either way it's not like the state is doing a good job of running the agency.

Right because de Blasio has done such an outstanding job as mayor.  How much money have we wasted on the homeless problem since he has taken office with next to no results? In fact the situation is worsening.  And we're going to give this man full control to run the buses and subways? What's been stopping him from getting Polly Trottenberg off of her you know what to get the bus situation turned around?  Albany is inept, but the city is just an inept if not worse.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Right because de Blasio has done such an outstanding job as mayor.  How much money have we wasted on the homeless problem since he has taken office with next to no results? In fact the situation is worsening.  And we're going to give this man full control to run the buses and subways? What's been stopping him from getting Polly Trottenberg off of her you know what to get the bus situation turned around?  Albany is inept, but the city is just an inept if not worse.

I think the point is that current governance and operations of (MTA) is not fit for purpose.

i personally favor - as stated many times, an independent authority separately incorporated from the city and state and governed by officials either elected to the board directly or are ex officio members by being elected boro president, and with dedicated revenue streams separate from city and state grants-in-aid or grants-in-funding.

Decisions about travel in these boroughs/counties should be made by people in these boroughs/counties, not by legislators and governors 3 hours away, since they’re not only not in the service area long enough, they’re also responsible to make sure Buffalo and Syracuse’s priorities are heard and fixed. State Legislatures and executives make horrible local planners in the US and Westminster systems.

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

I think the point is that current governance and operations of (MTA) is not fit for purpose.

i personally favor - as stated many times, an independent authority separately incorporated from the city and state and governed by officials either elected to the board directly or are ex officio members by being elected boro president, and with dedicated revenue streams separate from city and state grants-in-aid or grants-in-funding.

Decisions about travel in these boroughs/counties should be made by people in these boroughs/counties, not by legislators and governors 3 hours away, since they’re not only not in the service area long enough, they’re also responsible to make sure Buffalo and Syracuse’s priorities are heard and fixed. State Legislatures and executives make horrible local planners in the US and Westminster systems.

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think it would be much better at the local level. As I said, the City has had the opportunity to improve bus service. The buses run on city streets, so nothing is stopping them from improving service, but they haven't done anything, and now suddenly the city is capable of rescuing the entire system. I don't buy it.  Now the question is, this independent authority, who would make up this authority to ensure that it is truly "independent"?

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The point is the city couldn't manage to run the system on its own and quite frankly, they aren't prepared to do so now.  #1 bus service may be run by the (MTA) , but the City ultimately is the one (via the DOT) that could get bus service turned around and yet they've done next to nothing.  #2 The mayor doesn't even want to put forth more money for the (MTA) as it is and can't stop talking about the $2 billion the City gave years ago.  The City would need to put out wayyy more than $2 billlion to run the (MTA).  It's easy to talk about how this isn't the same city, but not so easy to state that they can actually run the system any better.

There's a big thing here I think a lot of people are going to pass over. Look at what the City has done for transit with what it DOES directly control, and tell me they'll run the MTA better than the state.

Edited by CDTA

2 minutes ago, CDTA said:

There's a big thing here I think a lot of people are going to pass over. Look at what the City has done for transit with what it DOES directly control, and tell me they'll run the MTA better than the state.

They are because they aren't looking at the things that the City currently has control over that they aren't managing well at all.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They are because they aren't looking at the things that the City currently has control over that they aren't managing well at all.

Pls, so you're telling me you'd rather have someone up in Ski Country cast the deciding vote on whether you get funding for transportation 300 miles away? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. You can't have it both ways. Stop playing a zero-sum game!  It's never going to be100% give and take.. If someone going to pick my pocket I would much rather limit the amount of hands in rotation!! At least in the City we have our own to worry about and Not Niagara county and there 3 cents!! Bring it back downstate or create an entity like @Deucey described!  I don't want to hear what happened in 1965 were paying to many bills downstate to not have more control over our destiny point blank!

Edited by RailRunRob

From a logistical standpoint, the regional railroads (including PATH + NJ Transit Rail) all should be merged into one entity, the city should take back control of the subway + buses, and the new NYCTA and NYMRR would collaborate with each other on some interagency issues.

But that's politically not going to happen.

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

Pls, so you're telling me you'd rather have someone up in Ski Country cast the deciding vote on whether you get funding for transportation 300 miles away? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. You can't have it both ways. Stop playing a zero-sum game!  It's never going to be100% give and take.. If someone going to pick my pocket I would much rather limit the amount of hands in rotation!! At least in the City we have our own to worry about and Not Niagara county and there 3 cents!! Bring it back downstate or create an entity like @Deucey described!  I don't want to hear what happened in 1965 were paying to many bills downstate to not have more control over our destiny point blank!

If you're going to contribute to the thread please STOP picking and choosing what you read. It's annoying. Go read all of the comments that were made and then come back to me, otherwise we have nothing to discuss.

Cuomo wouldn't even be too bad if he really got things done within a reasonable amount of time. But he doesn't, even though with the way he talks, you'd think he gets a lot done.

Even in upstate, actions are inconsistent. Cuomo took great pride in announcing the renaming of the Robert Moses State Parkway to the Niagara Scenic Parkway. Meanwhile, Niagara Falls continues to abandon and demolish parts of that road.

The problem with the current MTA is the same as the problem the old BOT had; one person controls all the appointments, so there's a single point of failure. Restoring mayoral control would largely do the same thing.

Devolve the MTA to the county executives, the mayor, the council speaker, and the BPs, and give it taxing powers, and you solve most of what was wrong with the old setup.

51 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If you're going to contribute to the thread please STOP picking and choosing what you read. It's annoying. Go read all of the comments that were made and then come back to me, otherwise we have nothing to discuss.

Okay.... How many times does one have to read you state the City had it's chance.. you dont see it working on the Local level.. the City government isn't capable and oh yeah de Blasio .... de Blasio and de Blasio some more! what did I miss?

Edited by RailRunRob

4 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

The problem with the current MTA is the same as the problem the old BOT had; one person controls all the appointments, so there's a single point of failure. Restoring mayoral control would largely do the same thing.

Devolve the MTA to the county executives, the mayor, the council speaker, and the BPs, and give it taxing powers, and you solve most of what was wrong with the old setup.

That make's sense as well.

Edited by RailRunRob

22 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Finally let me have one, eh Bob?

;-}

6 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Okay.... How many times does one have to read you state the City had it's chance.. you dont see it working on the Local level.. the City government isn't capable and oh yeah de Blasio .... de Blasio and de Blasio some more! what did I miss?

The City HAS a chance NOW too. You completely ignored other comments talking about NOW, not 50 years ago, and if you can't be bothered reading then there is no point. I am not discussing with you any further. You have a habit of doing this, feiging ignorance and so on. 

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The City HAS a chance NOW too. You completely ignored other comments talking about NOW, not 50 years ago, and if you can't be bothered reading then there is no point. I am not discussing with you any further. You have a habit of doing this, feiging ignorance and so on. 

Please stop ALL the drama!! I've never had a problem admitting if wrong. It's a form, not a chat room there's always a chance something is going to be missed! Nature of the format. If that's your position I stand corrected I clearly didn't see that. 

Edited by RailRunRob

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

Please stop ALL the drama!! I've never had a problem admitting if wrong. It's a form, not a chat room there's always a chance something is going to be missed! Nature of the format. If that's your position I stand corrected I clearly didn't see that. 

Yeah, that all of the other posts before that you missed... <_<

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, that all of the other posts before that you missed... <_<

👏 I know the Oscars are coming up.. and all didn't expect a live performance. You have pretty strong positions on certain topics and it's known it's been Documentmented over the years. And it's nothing wrong with that. It's respected I respect it stand your ground back your views. But let's not play the victim. You dish it out as well..

Edited by RailRunRob