Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, here's a De-interlined NYC subway map using http://app.enmodal.co/?id=8590a16d0859b5c7#

63 St under this map is built to handle about 60 TPH and the (W) is a Rush Hour-Midday ONLY route

I feel like I could've done better but this is good for now

Edited by LGA Link N train

21 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Well, here's a De-interlined NYC subway map using http://app.enmodal.co/?id=8590a16d0859b5c7#

63 St under this map is built to handle about 60 TPH and the (W) is a Rush Hour-Midday ONLY route

The whole point of deinterlining is to add capacity without adding infrastructure. Given that 63rd is designed to handle only half of that, this map is moot. 

I would scratch the Broadway Express to 63rd thing, and just be happy with (F)(V) via those tunnels. 

19 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The whole point of deinterlining is to add capacity without adding infrastructure. Given that 63rd is designed to handle only half of that, this map is moot. 

I would scratch the Broadway Express to 63rd thing, and just be happy with (F)(V) via those tunnels. 

so cut the (W) from this map?

15 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

You haven't de-interlined Queens Blvd if the locals and expresses are still split between 53rd and 63rd, and the same merges at Queens Plaza and 36th Street that exist today wouldn't go away. Make the (E) and (F) expresses via 53rd, and the (V) and (M) locals via 63rd.

Instead of taking away West End's express service why not extend the (W) via Broadway Express and West End, with the (N) becoming today's (W) (local to Whitehall, rush hours via 4th Avenue local)? 

42 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

You haven't de-interlined Queens Blvd if the locals and expresses are still split between 53rd and 63rd, and the same merges at Queens Plaza and 36th Street that exist today wouldn't go away. Make the (E) and (F) expresses via 53rd, and the (V) and (M) locals via 63rd.

Instead of taking away West End's express service why not extend the (W) via Broadway Express and West End, with the (N) becoming today's (W) (local to Whitehall, rush hours via 4th Avenue local)? 

Eh, I prefer local -> 53rd and express -> 63rd. That way there's still a reason for people to actually use 63rd, and a reason for people to use locals.

In fact, it might make loading better, since the only way to get a transfer at Lex would be to get on a relatively undercrowded local.

21 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Eh, I prefer local -> 53rd and express -> 63rd. That way there's still a reason for people to actually use 63rd, and a reason for people to use locals.

In fact, it might make loading better, since the only way to get a transfer at Lex would be to get on a relatively undercrowded local.

Yeah, you're right. Making the (E) and (M) locals via 53rd and the (F) and the 2nd Avenue (V) express via 63rd will help distribute loading among the Queens Blvd trains in a more even way than it is right now; it also allows the locals to serve the center of Long Island City, which seems more intuitive than having them skirt around the area by going via 63rd Street.

More a random "alternate" than a proposal.

What if the (W) was around during montage work? How would service run?

(N) short-turns to 57 St suspended; extra service to Bay Ridge. (See below for (R) ) Possible skip of 49 St and weekend express service 

(R) 6-7 TPH via Manhattan bridge everyday. Some rush hour trips to Canal St. Possible extra (10 car) (M) trains between 2 Av and Forest Hills.

(W) 6-7 TPH to Whitehall St all times.

I recently got a private message from an individual that brings up one valid point - I do not regularly ride the Central Park West line on weekends.

So I'd like to ask, of anyone who rides the line -- how does the (C) hold up during that time period? If the trains are empty, then I'd appreciate knowing that since it would eliminate the need for a discussion regarding increased service.

Thanks.

IiftxJ.jpg

15 minutes ago, P3F said:

I recently got a private message from an individual that brings up one valid point - I do not regularly ride the Central Park West line on weekends.

So I'd like to ask, of anyone who rides the line -- how does the (C) hold up during that time period? If the trains are empty, then I'd appreciate knowing that since it would eliminate the need for a discussion regarding increased service.

Thanks.

IiftxJ.jpg

I'm also not a regular weekend rider on Central Park West, but when I have taken it, the (C) trains are not empty. Particularly the lower half of CPW (72nd, 81st, 86th) gets a lot of ridership, mostly among tourists going to various places in Central Park, as well as the museums (AMNH, obviously, at 81st, but people also walk to the Met from there). The (C) on weekends is often standing-room-only on weekend afternoons in both directions between 34th/42nd and Central Park West. On top of that, its pretty well-used heading downtown towards Fulton, also mostly tourists.

I don't know enough to tell you whether they are technically overcrowded, but more service would certainly be welcome. The (A) might have higher ridership because it carries people from a wider area, but it also skips over the CPW stops that are weekend tourist destinations.

Edited by officiallyliam

1 hour ago, P3F said:

Thanks.

IiftxJ.jpg

Depends on the direction and times. AM trips from 168 aren't pack and is a lot busier than the A. PM to 168 St it is packed south of 59 St. Weekends it it rarely packed.

I think the idea that service increases should be based on current ridership alone is ridiculous. People don't use unreliable services, so using their preference to not have to factor half an hour of waiting into their trips to justify not fixing that issue serves just to dig a deeper pit for oneself. 

The (A) is only more important than the (C) insofar as it's express and serves the entire corridor. The (C) does the heavy lifting, serving all local stops in the core of the route, and should be treated as such. These days, it doesn't cut it. People want to travel during weekends, and they are largely turning to Uber/Lyft for those purposes these days, something that is frankly unsustainable. We've got to attract that ridership back for the sake of the city. 

2 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

I'm also not a regular weekend rider on Central Park West, but when I have taken it, the (C) trains are not empty. Particularly the lower half of CPW (72nd, 81st, 86th) gets a lot of ridership, mostly among tourists going to various places in Central Park, as well as the museums (AMNH, obviously, at 81st, but people also walk to the Met from there). The (C) on weekends is often standing-room-only on weekend afternoons in both directions between 34th/42nd and Central Park West. On top of that, its pretty well-used heading downtown towards Fulton, also mostly tourists.

I don't know enough to tell you whether they are technically overcrowded, but more service would certainly be welcome. The (A) might have higher ridership because it carries people from a wider area, but it also skips over the CPW stops that are weekend tourist destinations.

Oh without question... Any event in Central Park, you can forget about squeezing on the first (C) headed up there.

8 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Which is why the (B) should perhaps be run on weekends from say 10:00 AM-10:00 PM, at least to 145.

Or why (C) service should just be increased. Because it serves Penn Station and Port Authority, where a lot of people are entering the city, as well as Central Park West, which is a destination for many of them, it seems like a more logical place to start adding more service. As well as that, the Fulton corridor's growth has outpaced the current service levels on the (C). If the (B) returns on weekends, but the (C) keeps its abysmal headways, the (C) trains will still run crowded and the problem we're talking about here won't be solved.

21 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Yeah the (B) doesn't serve the Financial District, Port Authority or Penn Station directly, three big markets for weekend (C) service. I don't see that making as much of a dent as you're suggesting

The only thing the (B) has going for it over the (C) is service to Atlantic Terminal, which isn't a big deal anyway as Atlantic is served by numerous other lines. I'm not sure what weekends are like on Sixth Avenue or Brighton, but added (Q) service will probably be more of a help, since the majority of Brighton riders are coming from local stops, and the (M) is being added to Sixth Avenue weekends starting next year.

The only reason why the (M) is going to Midtown on weekends is for the (L) shutdown. Otherwise, track and signal workers would be putting up flags to the point they wouldn’t even be able to add more trains other than the 6 tph that the (D) and (F) each currently run up to on weekends. For the weekend (M) to Midtown to be a permanent thing, it’s still going to take some time, as long as the (MTA) steps up their game.

As for this (C) train “overcrowding” thing...they’ll likely just add two more round trips to the line to match up with the current midday and Saturday (A) headway - 8 trains an hour (or a train every 7 to 8 minutes). That’s about it. <_<