Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I'm going to disagree here, and say south either on Main St or Kissena/Parsons down to Jamaica. Bayside already has a train line, it's just underutilized and overpriced because it's part of the LIRR, but we shouldn't be spending billions of dollars to fix a fixable political problem.

Central Queens is very dense, has a lot of worthwhile destinations (Queens College, New York Hospital, all those tall towers on Kissena, etc.) and this is a trip that has no rail at all. The existing Q44 and Q25/34 are some of the busiest routes in Queens today.

Main currently has the stronger-ridership bus (the Q44), but Kissena has an easier path getting into Jamaica proper. And a Kissena subway allows you to truncate some routes that use Kissena to get into Flushing proper.

IIRC you did mention about a Kissena subway being best routed as a Queens-Bronx corridor, correct? In my perspective, this could be a better deal than routing it along Northern Boulevard after Flushing.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Armandito said:

IIRC you did mention about a Kissena subway being best routed as a Queens-Bronx corridor, correct? In my perspective, this could be a better deal than routing it along Northern Boulevard after Flushing.

So my personal thing is that QBL is full, and the Main Line will also be full. Having a Kissena/Northern line to Jamaica could potentially relieve some of that as well. (Port Washington has a long way to go before I would consider it full.) If need be one could truncate a crosstown line at Main St, though interlining it would also not be a huge deal the same way that the F/G interline is not a big deal.

If duplication is a major concern, the other major transit desert is Fresh Meadows. So you could route such a line roughly following the path of today's Q17 to 188 St and beyond.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:32 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I remember the lack of IRT express service in Brooklyn outside of rush hours in the early to mid-80s. If service cuts have to go through, that could certainly be a possibility. The (6) also ran as a shuttle between Pelham Bay Park and 125th overnights, leaving the (4) to run local and be the sole late night Lexington service back then and that can’t be ruled out either. 

While nothing can be ruled out completely, it’s tough to say if the pre-Chrystie plan you mentioned for south Brooklyn would work, precisely because of the Chrystie connection, as well as the decline in importance of the Nassau St Line. If that plan did get implemented, (B)(D) service between Manhattan and Brooklyn would have to be factored in, unlike in the 50s and early to mid-60s. This could make for some interesting speculation, but I’m not going to try right now, because the MTA still aren’t saying much of anything beyond “40 percent cut.” 

Getting rid of the (R) on QBL has long been discussed as a solution to cure QBL of its service woes. There’s already people on here who have posted that they don’t like the idea of doing that, so I can only imagine people at community meetings voicing their displeasure about it as well. I used to ride the (R) local on QBL and through 60th, when I lived in Forest Hills from 2012-15. I did so because I didn’t want to deal with crush loaded (E) or (F) trains and transfers at Roosevelt Avenue. Plus, I could get a direct transfer to the (4) or (5), which you can’t do from the (E), (F) or (M). But I often found my (R) trains to not be all that crowded and there were even times when I’d board an (R) train at Lex-59th and get a seat... at 5:30 in the evening. Maybe there just weren’t that many people on QB who needed that transfer to the Lex express trains, I don’t really know. Or maybe they found a different way home in the evening rush vs the morning.

The (E) and (M) Trains directly transfer to the Lexington Avenue line at Lex-53. Plus with the (F), it's a connection, but you can still reach the (4)(5) and (6) lines by walking to 59th Street.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:56 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

This may sound a bit silly, but would it be ideal to swap the (B) and (Q) route designations to keep some sort of familiaraity amongst riders?

To get an idea of what I'm saying is to have the following:

(D)(orangeQ) and (R) serve 4th Avenue

- Yellow (B) and (N) aling Brighton

What is the point of the having the (N) on Brighton? There's already a service on Brighton to Broadway, while there's going to need one on 4th Avenue.

26 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

What is the point of the having the (N) on Brighton? There's already a service on Brighton to Broadway, while there's going to need one on 4th Avenue.

To deinterline DeKalb Junction. Meaning that trains stop crossing in front of each other in junctions so that more trains can be scheduled along certain corridors. I brought up sending the (N) via Brighton as a response to someone’s comment. It’s not something that I would personally do. If it were up to me, I’d make all 4th Avenue service Broadway and All 6th Avenue service on Brighton ONLY IF bringing the signals and equipment (and dispatching) up to date prove to be not enough to mitigate the bottleneck at DeKalb, since it’s not one that we can easily eliminate. 

33 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

1 minute ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

To deinterline DeKalb Junction. Meaning that trains stop crossing in front of each other in junctions so that more trains can be scheduled along certain corridors. I brought up sending the (N) via Brighton as a response to someone’s comment. It’s not something that I would personally do. If it were up to me, I’d make all 4th Avenue service Broadway and All 6th Avenue service on Brighton ONLY IF bringing the signals and equipment (and dispatching) up to date prove to be not enough to mitigate the bottleneck at DeKalb, since it’s not one that we can easily eliminate. 

Brighton Riders perfer the Broadway lines, and wouldn't be losing any 6th Av service. 4th Av lines have the (R) to go to Broadway and the transfer at DeKalb. 

2 hours ago, Theli11 said:

Brighton Riders perfer the Broadway lines, and wouldn't be losing any 6th Av service. 4th Av lines have the (R) to go to Broadway and the transfer at DeKalb. 

While that is true, if Brighton were to serve soley 6th Avenue service, they'd still maintain access to Broadway at DeKalb (and Atlantic to a lesser extent), there's also the claim that Broadway (N)(Q) and 6th Avenue (B)(D) stations are close to each other  (with the exception of 14th), but there's no point in starting a debate that's been discussed multiple times before

2 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

While that is true, if Brighton were to serve soley 6th Avenue service, they'd still maintain access to Broadway at DeKalb (and Atlantic to a lesser extent), there's also the claim that Broadway (N)(Q) and 6th Avenue (B)(D) stations are close to each other  (with the exception of 14th), but there's no point in starting a debate that's been discussed multiple times before

While you are correct, we have stated that the Broadway Services are a better option than 6th Av because of the residents and what they've always had which is the (Q) train on the line. No point in changing it now. This is a conversation that happens at least once a month on this particular topic, probably because people have many ideas about it. 

7 hours ago, Theli11 said:

If the (B)(D) ran via 4th Avenue Express, riders would likely still bail on the (R) at 36th or Atlantic. Though they would have the option of transferring at DeKalb for the (N)(Q).

4 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Atlantic would be worse off if the (B)(D) were the Brighton services versus if the (N)(Q) were the Brighton services. Few riders want to deal with the (R) via Montague and Lower Manhattan, and if that's the only choice at DeKalb, it's not much of a choice.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

If the (B)(D) ran via 4th Avenue Express, riders would likely still bail on the (R) at 36th or Atlantic. Though they would have the option of transferring at DeKalb for the (N)(Q).

Atlantic would be worse off if the (B)(D) were the Brighton services versus if the (N)(Q) were the Brighton services. Few riders want to deal with the (R) via Montague and Lower Manhattan, and if that's the only choice at DeKalb, it's not much of a choice.

note taken, although with a hypothetical (B)(N) swap at DeKalb, I'd personally make the (N) a full time route, but then making the (Q) a full time route would make more sense given that its been serving Brighton for years. But then, how would this all factor in if Phase 3 of SAS is complete as its currently planned?

There should be bellmouths east of the 96 St Station on the Second av (Q) line for a Queens extension, it'll serve the South side of Randall's Wards Islands, Give Queens commuters a faster ride to the Upper East Side, and serve areas with limited transit options. This new subway line will run under Ditmars Blvd as a two track subway line with a transfer to the (N) and (W) at Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. After leaving Ditmars Blvd, it'll continue onto Astoria Blvd as a 4 track subway line. Once the line reaches 112 St, another bellmouth should be added east of the proposed 112 St-34 Ave station for the (P) line, that'll terminate at Mets Willets Point with a transfer to the (7)<7> Lines as well as a provision to Whitestone, while the (Q) line continues south under 112 St as a 2 track subway up to Roosevelt Ave with a transfer to the (7) and a future provision that'll run along the Grand Central Parkway to the Long Island Expressway similar to the 1968 Program for Action, this is where (Q) and (R) trains would meet up to Kissena Blvd. In this situation, I propose that a new Pink (P) train would be the local service while the (Q) train would be the express service.

Proposed (P) Route:

125 St Crosstown Line: 

With stops at Broadway, Central Park West, Malcom X Blvd, Lexington Avenue, 2 Avenue and the North side of Randall's Wards Islands. (With transfers to the A,B,C,D,T,1,2,3,4,5,6,9 lines)

Whitestone: (Not sure where to align it yet)

Highly Recommend (Q) Route: 

Brighton Lcl, Broadway Exp, 2 Ave, Astoria Blvd Express, Grand Central Parkway, and Long Island Expressway.

IND/BMT Ditmars Blvd Line: (P) & (Q) Lines

21 St, Astoria-Ditmars Blvd (31 St), Steinway St, 48 St.

IND/BMT Astoria Blvd Line: (P) & (Q) Lines

Express Stops:

74 St, 94 St, 108 St

Local Stops:

82 St, 88 St, 101 St

IND/BMT 112 St Line: (Q) (P) Lines

34 Av, Roosevelt Avenue (112 St)

Any questions regarding this post is highly appreciated 👍 🤯

8 hours ago, Theli11 said:

While you are correct, we have stated that the Broadway Services are a better option than 6th Av because of the residents and what they've always had which is the (Q) train on the line. No point in changing it now. This is a conversation that happens at least once a month on this particular topic, probably because people have many ideas about it. 

Except for the fact that (B) and (N) would have to run full-time* to service each BMT Southern line, I don't see why Broadway and 6th Av services couldn't be de-interlined in Brooklyn.

(*Unless (Q) disappeared on weekends and (M) replaced it to 96th/2nd.)

Vanshnookenragen came out with a new post about de-interlining the BMT in Brooklyn today:

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2020/10/deinterlining-with-one-switch/

deint_southbrooklyn.png

dekalb_tracks-1.png

36_int.png

westend_times.png

Service Increase

The Bay Ridge Line will see an increase of up to 50% over existing levels of service and riders will save 5 minutes each way to Atlantic Ave:

Present: R trains at 10tph, 28 minutes local 95th St to Atlantic Ave

Proposed: B trains at 15tph, 23 minutes express 95th St to Atlantic Av

The Brighton Beach Line will see and increase of up to 66.6% over existing levels of service:

Present: B and Q trains at a combined 18tph

Proposed N and Q trains at a combined 30tph

The Sea Beach Line will see and increase of up to 66.6% over existing levels of service:

Present: N trains at 9tph

Proposed: D trains at 15tph

The West End Line will see and increase of up to 80% over existing levels of service:

Present: D trains at 10tph, 12 minutes express 36th St to Atlantic Av

Proposed: R trains at 18tph, 15 minutes local 36th St to Atlantic Av.

Building a new switch instead of a full subway extension and yard would have the highest return on investment of possibly any transit investment. Though with MTA costs still out of control it’s hard to know just how much this will cost. Proposed new switches at Rogers Junction on the IRT Eastern Parkway Line have seen cost estimates between $300m and $1.6b. But there no switch provisions exist. On 4th Ave the space exists and will require far less construction.

The new routes would change how riders will have to think about commuting but the benefits far out weigh any short term inconvenience. Deinterlining the Brooklyn branches will also allow the network to better respond to demand changes and will cut down on delays. The service levels proposed above are the maximum possible in the current system and can be easily dialed down if needed. CBTC signals will allow more service when installed but aren’t required for this switch.

The MTA and NYCT are using the current downturn in ridership to work on maintenance backlogs and get work done quicker. Recently a rebuild of the E train tracks along the Archer Ave Line was finished ahead of schedule and work on the Rutgers St Tunnel (damaged by Superstorm Sandy) is moving along quickly. Installing a new switch isn’t as simple as placing new tracks but it is far more simple than planning and building a new line. A post-Covid world will see fewer riders going to Manhattan but more within their own borough and more throughout the day. The system we need for tomorrow is not the one we’ve inherited. Now is the time to start thinking about how to stabilize and turn the ship.

Edited by GojiMet86

4 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Except for the fact that (B) and (N) would have to run full-time* to service each BMT Southern line, I don't see why Broadway and 6th Av services couldn't be de-interlined in Brooklyn.

(*Unless (Q) disappeared on weekends and (M) replaced it to 96th/2nd.)

Or the inverse and the (N) just doesn't run on weekends. Do you really need a replacement for 96 St Service?

1 hour ago, ActiveCity said:

There should be bellmouths east of the 96 St Station on the Second av (Q) line for a Queens extension, it'll serve the South side of Randall's Wards Islands, Give Queens commuters a faster ride to the Upper East Side, and serve areas with limited transit options. This new subway line will run under Ditmars Blvd as a two track subway line with a transfer to the (N) and (W) at Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. After leaving Ditmars Blvd, it'll continue onto Astoria Blvd as a 4 track subway line. Once the line reaches 112 St, another bellmouth should be added east of the proposed 112 St-34 Ave station for the (P) line, that'll terminate at Mets Willets Point with a transfer to the (7)<7> Lines as well as a provision to Whitestone, while the (Q) line continues south under 112 St as a 2 track subway up to Roosevelt Ave with a transfer to the (7) and a future provision that'll run along the Grand Central Parkway to the Long Island Expressway similar to the 1968 Program for Action, this is where (Q) and (R) trains would meet up to Kissena Blvd. In this situation, I propose that a new Pink (P) train would be the local service while the (Q) train would be the express service.

Proposed (P) Route:

125 St Crosstown Line: 

With stops at Broadway, Central Park West, Malcom X Blvd, Lexington Avenue, 2 Avenue and the North side of Randall's Wards Islands. (With transfers to the A,B,C,D,T,1,2,3,4,5,6,9 lines)

Whitestone: (Not sure where to align it yet)

Highly Recommend (Q) Route: 

Brighton Lcl, Broadway Exp, 2 Ave, Astoria Blvd Express, Grand Central Parkway, and Long Island Expressway.

IND/BMT Ditmars Blvd Line: (P) & (Q) Lines

21 St, Astoria-Ditmars Blvd (31 St), Steinway St, 48 St.

IND/BMT Astoria Blvd Line: (P) & (Q) Lines

Express Stops:

74 St, 94 St, 108 St

Local Stops:

82 St, 88 St, 101 St

IND/BMT 112 St Line: (Q) (P) Lines

34 Av, Roosevelt Avenue (112 St)

Any questions regarding this post is highly appreciated 👍 🤯

I'll bite this one, (Q) being extended too far from 2nd Avenue is something I'm against (also who wants service to Wards?). Maybe if the (N) was extended I'd be fine with it since it's going close to it's current route (via a lower level). Grand Central Parkway/LIE being used as a train roue is questionable, and I'm sure that @engineerboy6561 can clarify if GCP is a right placement for it. [Elevated or not?] I'd rather a 2nd Av route that's straight through 125th St and 3rd Av, Bronx. I think that a separate route can replace the (Q) for the Queens route. As for your (P) route, there doesn't need to be a route from 125th St to that part of Queens unless it goes to the airport. (or straight to it via Astoria). Northern Blvd is probably my favorite proposal so far which is a couple pages back (go back ~10 pages for the proposal of the line).

10 minutes ago, Theli11 said:

The (R) would run the full route from Astoria - Bay Ridge, it'll just be the (Q) and (R) trains late nights.

So what runs on Sea Beach or to 95th St - if DeKalb is de-interlined and (N) doesn't run on weekends?

(No peeking at @vanshnookenraggen's proposal - which puts eliminating (Q) as an option - as well as making it <Q>.)

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

Vanshnookenragen came out with a new post about de-interlining the BMT in Brooklyn today:

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2020/10/deinterlining-with-one-switch/

deint_southbrooklyn.png

dekalb_tracks-1.png

36_int.png

westend_times.png

The idea isn't really too far fetched and I can see where this person is coming from. I can see how this scenario benefits a lot of riders, however there are a few things I would like to point out from this, it's already stated out, but it's concerns that I've experienced and would like to talk about regardless:

Pros:

• The biggest one, I'm going to get it out of the way as it's a very big pro, Bay Ridge riders have access to both Express and Local services with the (B) running local from Bay Ridge-95th St to 36th St then switching over express before hitting 36th St running express the whole way into Manhattan as well as 6th Av express. Not only that, they can get access to Midtown much faster because of it, huge plus.
  • West End finally getting Peak Express service once again, the last time this happened was when the (brownM). Call me out if I'm wrong, but last time I rode on West End when the (brownM) was around, both the (D) and (brownM) ran express so I do hope in this scenario, both the (R) and (W) can run express.

Cons:

• West End losing express service on 4th Av and into Manhattan. I've lived on West End my whole life and having express service on 4th Av and 6th Av was really good for me, I never had the need to transfer either. With this, it forces me to transfer to either the (B) or (D) (doesn't matter which since same destination regardless) which also adds waiting time. I've been forced to ride the (D) train when (R) trains got delayed (which happens way too many times) and I felt like my travel time had gotten longer because of it. Especially going to Manhattan where most of the time, I'm travelling to midtown and I'd be forced to ride the (R) to then have to transfer. This proposal does a lot of good, but ends up actually screwing another line in the process.

There was only 1 con that I could think of about this. Some of you might not actually think it's bad, but it really is to me and I can say the same to a lot of people I know that have taken the (D). The rest of this is mainly questions as these aren't cons, but not pros either:

• It's not clear whether or not (R) trains are still running via Queens Blvd local, but is it? I would assume no because there is no way that the (R) can be based out of Coney Island Yard now along with every other Broadway trains running if it ran via Astoria. 
  • With (B) trains running full time now, would that mean less trains for (D) service to run because it's based out of Concourse Yard now?
  • Would (B) trains be running local on 4th Av to help with (R) service during late nights which would also mean it has to run through Dekalb Av?

20 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So what runs on Sea Beach or to 95th St - if DeKalb is de-interlined and (N) doesn't run on weekends?

(No peeking at @vanshnookenraggen's proposal - which puts eliminating (Q) as an option - as well as making it <Q>.)

As far as I'm concerned, the plan was putting 6th Av service on the express and the (R) on the local to Bay Ridge. (N) isn't running because there's no need for Brighton Express service.

9 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

There was only 1 con that I could think of about this. Some of you might not actually think it's bad, but it really is to me and I can say the same to a lot of people I know that have taken the (D). The rest of this is mainly questions as these aren't cons, but not pros either:

• It's not clear whether or not (R) trains are still running via Queens Blvd local, but is it? I would assume no because there is no way that the (R) can be based out of Coney Island Yard now along with every other Broadway trains running if it ran via Astoria. 
  • With (B) trains running full time now, would that mean less trains for (D) service to run because it's based out of Concourse Yard now?
  • Would (B) trains be running local on 4th Av to help with (R) service during late nights which would also mean it has to run through Dekalb Av?

1. This is only a portion of something that @vanshnookenraggen and “A320lga” (whom [correct me if I’m wrong] I think is @RR503 here on the forums cause their proposals and ideas are the exact same), given that the (R) and (W) would serve West End, I would assume yes. 

2. Not really since the (B) and (D) are running on the same corridor for a majority of the time. Vanshnook did mention a deinterlined CPW. So I’d assume the answer is no.

3. There’s no definitive answer but the easiest thing to do IMO is to emulate the current late night (R) service for the (B).

13 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

The idea isn't really too far fetched and I can see where this person is coming from. I can see how this scenario benefits a lot of riders, however there are a few things I would like to point out from this, it's already stated out, but it's concerns that I've experienced and would like to talk about regardless:

Pros:

• The biggest one, I'm going to get it out of the way as it's a very big pro, Bay Ridge riders have access to both Express and Local services with the (B) running local from Bay Ridge-95th St to 36th St then switching over express before hitting 36th St running express the whole way into Manhattan as well as 6th Av express. Not only that, they can get access to Midtown much faster because of it, huge plus.
  • West End finally getting Peak Express service once again, the last time this happened was when the (brownM). Call me out if I'm wrong, but last time I rode on West End when the (brownM) was around, both the (D) and (brownM) ran express so I do hope in this scenario, both the (R) and (W) can run express.

Cons:

• West End losing express service on 4th Av and into Manhattan. I've lived on West End my whole life and having express service on 4th Av and 6th Av was really good for me, I never had the need to transfer either. With this, it forces me to transfer to either the (B) or (D) (doesn't matter which since same destination regardless) which also adds waiting time. I've been forced to ride the (D) train when (R) trains got delayed (which happens way too many times) and I felt like my travel time had gotten longer because of it. Especially going to Manhattan where most of the time, I'm travelling to midtown and I'd be forced to ride the (R) to then have to transfer. This proposal does a lot of good, but ends up actually screwing another line in the process.

To achieve optimal performance more deinterlining will be needed on the Broadway and 6th Ave Lines. The N will be rerouted to 96th St-2nd Ave with the Q and could even be eliminated for a <Q> service instead. The A and B trains will swap along Central Park West so that B/D trains will stay on the express track the entire way between 145th St and 36th St in Brooklyn. R trains will move to Astoria along with the W

Service Increase

The Bay Ridge Line will see an increase of up to 50% over existing levels of service and riders will save 5 minutes each way to Atlantic Ave:

Present: R trains at 10tph, 28 minutes local 95th St to Atlantic Ave

Proposed: B trains at 15tph, 23 minutes express 95th St to Atlantic Av

The Brighton Beach Line will see and increase of up to 66.6% over existing levels of service:

Present: B and Q trains at a combined 18tph

Proposed N and Q trains at a combined 30tph

The Sea Beach Line will see and increase of up to 66.6% over existing levels of service:

Present: N trains at 9tph

Proposed: D trains at 15tph

The West End Line will see and increase of up to 80% over existing levels of service:

Present: D trains at 10tph, 12 minutes express 36th St to Atlantic Av

Proposed: R trains at 18tph, 15 minutes local 36th St to Atlantic Av.

Quotes from: http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2020/10/deinterlining-with-one-switch/

Edited by Theli11

Theoretically, there's many different reorganizations that could be done with the Southern Division.  The million-dollar question is whether the MTA would even bother doing anything like that.

In other words:

33p3bw.png

Edited by R10 2952

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Theoretically, there's many different reorganizations that could be done with the Southern Division.  The million-dollar question is whether the MTA would even bother doing anything like that.

In other words:

What's the point of being the ultimate wet blanket on a fantasy thread in a forum full of enthusiasts?

6 hours ago, Theli11 said:

Or the inverse and the (N) just doesn't run on weekends. Do you really need a replacement for 96 St Service?

I'll bite this one, (Q) being extended too far from 2nd Avenue is something I'm against (also who wants service to Wards?). Maybe if the (N) was extended I'd be fine with it since it's going close to it's current route (via a lower level). Grand Central Parkway/LIE being used as a train roue is questionable, and I'm sure that @engineerboy6561 can clarify if GCP is a right placement for it. [Elevated or not?] I'd rather a 2nd Av route that's straight through 125th St and 3rd Av, Bronx. I think that a separate route can replace the (Q) for the Queens route. As for your (P) route, there doesn't need to be a route from 125th St to that part of Queens unless it goes to the airport. (or straight to it via Astoria). Northern Blvd is probably my favorite proposal so far which is a couple pages back (go back ~10 pages for the proposal of the line).

@ActiveCity Link to route map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1xxOviuFLs1P8LiFK-DurKk2yPp54nKbV&ll=40.761120935853526%2C-73.88149849999999&z=10

Track map: 57YIjZT.png

8 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

In other words:

Because if the (MTA) wants their services to improve (in addition to having their budget improved), they’re going to HAVE to do something about DeKalb Junction and the services passing through it at some point, whether that be under the current leadership or if a new management team stepped into (MTA) leadership.

The REAL million dollar question is “How much will the (MTA) save (or potentially gain) from Deinterlining the subway system?”