ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, thegameksk said:

I was recently diagnosed with the beginning stages of Arthritis that based on my family history will get worse even though I'm fairly young.  Are we allowed to take pain medications while on duty as long as they don't make you sleep? Can you take dr prescribed and/or otc medicine? Just trying to figure out what is allowed.  I don't want to get the job and end up losing it bc I took something that flagged the drug test.

Here ill answer this..

If you mean like Advil Tylenol Excedrin and any other over the counter stuff sure...

Anything else...

Uh NO.....

Edited by RTOMan

10 hours ago, Lavos212 said:

Anyone have any info on the A division? Is their a lot of overtime? 

FWIW, there's always money to be made, more so on the midnight and AM tours. As a PM person, I wasn't too money hungry, but most of my extra money was made from helping out with extra trips on the 7 and layups at Pelham and Main Street. A little here and there adds up. :-)

For those that are waiting for their list # to be reached I heard that they have classes scheduled, all the way up into December. Also there are always people resigning and also going back to previous titles like me. 

14 minutes ago, Jjbb said:

For those that are waiting for their list # to be reached I heard that they have classes scheduled, all the way up into December. Also there are always people resigning and also going back to previous titles like me. 

Did you return to CR and got back on the list for TO?

25 minutes ago, Jjbb said:

I just need them to hurry up and extend the list expiration date.

1 hour ago, Jjbb said:

That's good to hear just hoping I get called list number 72##

2 hours ago, Jjbb said:

Great news...

6 minutes ago, Mohamed said:

I have a question to all those that are currently working as a train operator. How long is the training? What sort of test do you have to take? Signal and what else?. What happens if you fail that test?

Thank you 

Training depends on division you go to. I believe it’s around 6 months for A division and 9 months for B.

You’ll take multiple exams on rules and procedures relating to train movement and troubleshooting trains.

If you fail the signal exam you will lose the job.

You should really search and read this entire thread because you’re not the first person to ask all those questions.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:24 PM, thegameksk said:

I was recently diagnosed with the beginning stages of Arthritis that based on my family history will get worse even though I'm fairly young.  Are we allowed to take pain medications while on duty as long as they don't make you sleep? Can you take dr prescribed and/or otc medicine? Just trying to figure out what is allowed.  I don't want to get the job and end up losing it bc I took something that flagged the drug test.

not good.......health > money/job.  only one life to live and live it without any pain hopefully.  get that checked up.  as a TO.....your body / hands WILL hurt and it will get worse.  i wish you the best to good health 

8 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Training depends on division you go to. I believe it’s around 6 months for A division and 9 months for B.

You’ll take multiple exams on rules and procedures relating to train movement and troubleshooting trains.

If you fail the signal exam you will lose the job.

You should really search and read this entire thread because you’re not the first person to ask all those questions.

Thanks for the info, and whats the least score u can get on the signal exam? Or you have to get 100?

30 minutes ago, Mohamed said:

Thanks for the info, and whats the least score u can get on the signal exam? Or you have to get 100?

On the signals you have to get a 100. There’s a written part if you write a definition wrong they will have you speak to the school car superintendent to make sure you understand the definition properly and depending on your school car record it can go either way. Just speaking from what I seen with others. Just study and put the time in and you’ll be fine! Once you get called all of this will be explained. 

50 minutes ago, Imhim said:

On the signals you have to get a 100. There’s a written part if you write a definition wrong they will have you speak to the school car superintendent to make sure you understand the definition properly and depending on your school car record it can go either way. Just speaking from what I seen with others. Just study and put the time in and you’ll be fine! Once you get called all of this will be explained. 

Appreciate the info thanks 

10 hours ago, trackerjack said:

not good.......health > money/job.  only one life to live and live it without any pain hopefully.  get that checked up.  as a TO.....your body / hands WILL hurt and it will get worse.  i wish you the best to good health 

No matter what I do due to family history it will be bad but even if I can only do TO for a few years its better then where I am now which is a low wage standing all day job. I can at least move around within the MTA once I am in. Where I am now there is no movement. 

26 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

No matter what I do due to family history it will be bad but even if I can only do TO for a few years its better then where I am now which is a low wage standing all day job. I can at least move around within the MTA once I am in. Where I am now there is no movement. 

Then theres your answer hun, take the job but speak with a doctor and come up with a pain management regime that works for you and gives you the ability to work for transit as well. Life is to short to be miserable in a low paying job.   

32 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

Just be carful with that, and mention it to the MAC. Remember you're transporting thousands of people everyday, and T/O is all hands on. 

1 hour ago, Chris8 said:

Just be carful with that, and mention it to the MAC. Remember you're transporting thousands of people everyday, and T/O is all hands on. 

Just to be clear I am not taking any prescription medication. I was told the take otc medicine as needed. If and when I need stronger stuff it will be years down the road.

4 hours ago, Mohamed said:

100 percent period...

Certain Parts if you don't get it they will ask you in private to see if you understand..

Edited by RTOMan

24 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

Just to be clear I am not taking any prescription medication. I was told the take otc medicine as needed. If and when I need stronger stuff it will be years down the road.

The Min you take anything stronger is the Minute you get restricted...

Or put  you out No Work Available. 

Be Mindful because we take Medicals every Year and you will pee in a Cup(as well as Randoms) and they ask you on that computer have you taken and prescription Drugs...

If you say no and they find out they will take you out of service.

Edited by RTOMan

4 hours ago, Mohamed said:

Don't let that 100 on the signal test make u nervous. I've seen people come in so scared of failing the signal test that it's all they study and they fail all the other exams. So much is made of the signals but it's actually very easy if you are paying attention to how the signaling system actually works and what your operation has to be at each signal. If u just worry about verbatim definitions and memorizing them without actually understanding what the signals mean, and then u stumble on a word and have to explain yourself to the supt, that is where you will fail. Supt is going to ask u "well explain to me in your words the function of this signal and how u gotta operate" or something along those lines and u won't know wtf to say because u were obsessed with memorization instead of learning.

Just relax and pay attention and everything will start to make sense to you after a while. It's overwhelming at first but it isn't rocket science, you will get it.