ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

On 10/28/2022 at 12:06 PM, beanz said:

I'm comfortable enough to take timers at their posted speed, but that's because i have been on the same 2 lines(A, C) for the better part of a year. I know the timers well and i know which ones not to test. I make up all the time i need to make up by taking gt35s at 35 instead of 28 as is recommended by the majority of the folks down here.

With station stops I'm more conservative given my history lol. I don't think coming in at 35 and braking at the CR board saves u that much time, at least not more than taking timers at the speed posted.

Even with all that, they just gonna hold u outside the terminal anyway. That's fine with me cause when they gap me i just use it as a pit stop to stretch and drink some water. 

The safest operation is to move at the posted speed limits throughout the entire line, but it's almost impossible when people are disciplined for it.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please help me understand. I was told to report to 180 Livingston today 10/31 I was sent all the pre-employment paperwork and was asked to email them back but when I went in today all that was done was a drug test. I was then told to wait 30-90 days. Is that the way the process goes?

Has anyone gone from working corporate, took a pay cut, and joined the MTA, specifically this T/O position?

I'm kind of on that same boat & wondering if any one has had a similar experience. For some context, I work for a bank, make 96k (salaried), manager position, I work from home and go into the office 1 day a week with free parking, somewhat basic 401k with a company match, really no stress, a lot of flexibility and time to take off whenever.

Of course, I took this test 5.5 years ago (when I really would've needed) and was making a subpar wage. I recently got the call/email to come in to 180 Livingston next month.

Ive read countless articles, stories, thread here and everywhere I can find, and most situations lead to the same place, where joining the MTA might be the wrong call at this point. I am stuck on the idea of long term (having a pension) in the future, which is something I will never have, and the ability to retire early, 63, instead of 65 or hell, even 70. 

I am huge risk taker and huge believer that no matter what people say about their experience, you have to do it, or try it for yourself, and create your own experience. Ideally, when I imagine this MTA career path, I would love to do T/O for some time and possibly love to move into a management/training/corporate position. I dont know how easy or how hard that is.

With that being said, I just want to know if someone has been a similar boat. Any knowledge or life advice would be much appreciate. It is almost like comparing oranges to apples but would really like some insight and thoughts that someone might have.

Thank you for your time.

3 minutes ago, arestab said:

Has anyone gone from working corporate, took a pay cut, and joined the MTA, specifically this T/O position?

I'm kind of on that same boat & wondering if any one has had a similar experience. For some context, I work for a bank, make 96k (salaried), manager position, I work from home and go into the office 1 day a week with free parking, somewhat basic 401k with a company match, really no stress, a lot of flexibility and time to take off whenever.

Of course, I took this test 5.5 years ago (when I really would've needed) and was making a subpar wage. I recently got the call/email to come in to 180 Livingston next month.

Ive read countless articles, stories, thread here and everywhere I can find, and most situations lead to the same place, where joining the MTA might be the wrong call at this point. I am stuck on the idea of long term (having a pension) in the future, which is something I will never have, and the ability to retire early, 63, instead of 65 or hell, even 70. 

I am huge risk taker and huge believer that no matter what people say about their experience, you have to do it, or try it for yourself, and create your own experience. Ideally, when I imagine this MTA career path, I would love to do T/O for some time and possibly love to move into a management/training/corporate position. I dont know how easy or how hard that is.

With that being said, I just want to know if someone has been a similar boat. Any knowledge or life advice would be much appreciate. It is almost like comparing oranges to apples but would really like some insight and thoughts that someone might have.

Thank you for your time.

I hear you, I have a small pension from another job, and a similar career type as TO. I want the job because, mainly the pension. The pay is ok but the pension is the seller. 

Everyone is different, you seem like you have a completely different job than to. It's not that fun first several years, no time off when you want, bid job schedules, bid for vacation. It's something to get used to. If you don't understand the bid process, it's harsh, seniority rules and sometimes you get lucky, but overall there's a lot of anxiety. You get used to it but the pension, is the seller. Overall the job is fairly ez but you have to deal with nonsense 

The grass is always greener on the other side.

For me and my family I choose the job. 

Its definitely a commitment. But only you can answer your question. 

All I can say is pension. You will appreciate that when the time comes. 

Just my opinion 

18 minutes ago, arestab said:

Thank you for your time.

I hear u on wanting to experience it for your own, but that situation u are in sounds so much better. I wish i could trade u cause i do love this job and i hate office work but right now with 2 small kids, flexibility and time at home is everything to me. Even something as simple as summer vacations is no longer a choice with transit until u have the seniority. i love my job but I'd trade places with u in a heartbeat so take that for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, arestab said:

*snip*

Word of warning. The Tier 6 pension does not pay out as well as one may like (I would be more than happy to be corrected on this). Which is why people still try to supplement it with a 401k/other investments. It's also why people try to get promoted to train dispatcher or train service supervisor where their higher salary contribute more into the pension, but depending on when you get hired, you may have to wait a few years to take the next exam and then get promoted from it.

It is a grueling job and it will definitely put you through the wringer. Your chances of having the weekend off and being able to get a day off approved will certainly be much lower than at your current position. From the start, you'll be working at all manner of hours and locations throughout the city that you may find yourself begging to work from home.

Lastly, there seems to be an unfortunate trend of people dying soon after they retire.

I would advise, you stick with your current job and try to work on your retirement portfolio.

Edited by Jericho

2 hours ago, jbolanos said:

Can someone please help me understand. I was told to report to 180 Livingston today 10/31 I was sent all the pre-employment paperwork and was asked to email them back but when I went in today all that was done was a drug test. I was then told to wait 30-90 days. Is that the way the process goes?

Yes. You're drug tested first and then you continue to wait until they reach your list number to be called in for the next class available. Depending on how long you have to wait, you may have to come back to take another drug test or two in the meantime.

Edited by Jericho

What’s up people. I got an email to report to 180 Livingston @ 6:30am on 11/17/2022 for the pre employment process. All my paperwork will be fine and I will pass the medical and drug tests. I have two serious questions though.

1. I’m on workers compensation from an assault that happened on the job in 2019. I’m in the final stages of the case and should be closed in about 6-8 weeks hopefully. Since I’m on workers compensation will that disqualify me from the job?

2. I recently was found guilty for a speeding violation back in 2019. Since I was found guilty my license will be suspended for 60 days starting 11/14/2022. However, I will have a restricted use license for those 60 days. WIll this also disqualify me from the job?

I'm a little nervous because this is an opportunity that does not come around often! Any information helps thank you.

4 hours ago, arestab said:

Thank you for your time.

ok bro......no one else is going to say this as harsh as me. so.... imma just say it RAW.

bro.....STAY. IN. YOUR. JOB.   For the love of you and ur family and the anything remotely holy.....STAY!!!   Train Op job is trash. 
"so why are you staying in transit when you hate it so much??" you may ask me?  WELP! just like my other fellow colleagues....i have no where else to go.  I'm not good enough nor skilled enough to have a better opportunity out there.     ( please hire me for your company!! :) )
no other jobs are calling me back after my interviews with them.  it's just how the cookie crumbled and it's the hand that i'm currently dealt with.  but i'm not giving up.
what i would give to have a job like yours!!!  your benefits and lifestyle perks are amazing .   remember it's not the money but it's also THE TIME you have.  TIME you cannot get back.

many of a time....i seen it too much.....my classmates and other T/Os would miss their children's events.  I know my classmate admit it that he regret not being there for his son......heartbreaking...and for what?  (S)crew office doesn't care.....they don't even say THANK YOU!!!! they never appreciate us.  you will learn that A LOT OF FOLKS have disgusting nasty petty attitude down here!

don't listen to these senior guy/old cats (much respect to them!) who says this job is what u make of it and if you can't handle it, you're weak.......put in the effort for 20 years and u'll finally get the JOB you dreamt of!....
NO~! this is NOT the old generation.  what worked and what was the norm back in the 1980s don't fly well with us new generations.

A lot of times......transit is what IS FORCED UPON us.  they make your life a miserable living hell.  Imagine reporting to your work office.....for 5 hours then ur boss tells you to stay to an extra 9 hours to complete a project.....and then u go home.....only to have enough time to shower/eat/sleep then wake up to do it all....over.....again....the next....day.  Did I tell you not even a thank you??
also if you make a typo at work......yup!   And you get banged in and disciplined.  a few disciplines later. you are fired (if you're a probationary) or you get your pay cut as a punishment (if you're out of probation).  imagine that stress on you for the rest of your life?? until you retire.  That's if you're lucky.......   Some poor soul just died this week.........guess where the Retirement money goes to?......yup. BACK to Transit!

bro don't do this to yourself. you don't need Transit with what you got now.  don't fall for the trap.  Diversify your porfolio. LEARN the markets.  Or hire a reputable investment advisor and let him/her to THEIR job to advise YOU how you can have a retirement porfolio that's WAY Better than our Tier 6 pension plan from Transit.  I have a college buddy who is a private investment advisor and he does extremely well just educating his clients and building/managing their wealth.  HIS career is to MAKE others wealthy and secured.  so you may want to find an advisor for you.  

now that being said.....if you can take 1 year off your job......just to try Transit. then yes do it.  come here to see if you have fun at least.....cuz there is nothing to lose. 
But if you are at any risk in losing your job. DO NOT COME HERE!!!

this rant is over.  DM me if you want more brutal honest review of this "Career".

14 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

ok bro......no one else is going to say this as harsh as me. so.... imma just say it RAW.

bro.....STAY. IN. YOUR. JOB.   For the love of you and ur family and the anything remotely holy.....STAY!!!   Train Op job is trash. 
"so why are you staying in transit when you hate it so much??" you may ask me?  WELP! just like my other fellow colleagues....i have no where else to go.  I'm not good enough nor skilled enough to have a better opportunity out there.     ( please hire me for your company!! :) )
no other jobs are calling me back after my interviews with them.  it's just how the cookie crumbled and it's the hand that i'm currently dealt with.  but i'm not giving up.
what i would give to have a job like yours!!!  your benefits and lifestyle perks are amazing .   remember it's not the money but it's also THE TIME you have.  TIME you cannot get back.

many of a time....i seen it too much.....my classmates and other T/Os would miss their children's events.  I know my classmate admit it that he regret not being there for his son......heartbreaking...and for what?  (S)crew office doesn't care.....they don't even say THANK YOU!!!! they never appreciate us.  you will learn that A LOT OF FOLKS have disgusting nasty petty attitude down here!

don't listen to these senior guy/old cats (much respect to them!) who says this job is what u make of it and if you can't handle it, you're weak.......put in the effort for 20 years and u'll finally get the JOB you dreamt of!....
NO~! this is NOT the old generation.  what worked and what was the norm back in the 1980s don't fly well with us new generations.

A lot of times......transit is what IS FORCED UPON us.  they make your life a miserable living hell.  Imagine reporting to your work office.....for 5 hours then ur boss tells you to stay to an extra 9 hours to complete a project.....and then u go home.....only to have enough time to shower/eat/sleep then wake up to do it all....over.....again....the next....day.  Did I tell you not even a thank you??
also if you make a typo at work......yup!   And you get banged in and disciplined.  a few disciplines later. you are fired (if you're a probationary) or you get your pay cut as a punishment (if you're out of probation).  imagine that stress on you for the rest of your life?? until you retire.  That's if you're lucky.......   Some poor soul just died this week.........guess where the Retirement money goes to?......yup. BACK to Transit!

bro don't do this to yourself. you don't need Transit with what you got now.  don't fall for the trap.  Diversify your porfolio. LEARN the markets.  Or hire a reputable investment advisor and let him/her to THEIR job to advise YOU how you can have a retirement porfolio that's WAY Better than our Tier 6 pension plan from Transit.  I have a college buddy who is a private investment advisor and he does extremely well just educating his clients and building/managing their wealth.  HIS career is to MAKE others wealthy and secured.  so you may want to find an advisor for you.  

now that being said.....if you can take 1 year off your job......just to try Transit. then yes do it.  come here to see if you have fun at least.....cuz there is nothing to lose. 

this rant is over.  DM me if you want more brutal honest review of this "Career".

Thank you ! This was as raw as I needed to hear. So thank you for that, truly a perspective that makes sense considering my situation!

5 hours ago, arestab said:

Thank you for your time.

FWIW, I came from call centre work to make the leap into the agency, so the call to join was much stronger for me. 

I'll note that your current salary is roughly what a train operator with a good year of overtime makes, or slightly less than what a dispatcher makes after 6 years in title. The financial incentive to join, especially in light of your current work arrangements isn't going to be as strong, and I would understand if you'd decline the offer. As Jericho noted, Tier VI pensions aren't as slam dunk as previous pensions, and being able to retire at 55 after 25 years of service is still a reduced benefit compared to the full payout with 30 years. But it is a guaranteed payment.

We have former corporate types who come down and try it out, but they're either moving up financially when they accept an offer, they're sick of the corporate world, or they were laid off, and the offer came at the right time. If you're looking for a faster route into management, there's always the operations management positions that are offered every so often as resume opportunities, but they're not as friendly to WFH compared to your current employer.

41 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

until you retire.  That's if you're lucky.......   Some poor soul just died this week.........guess where the Retirement money goes to?......yup. BACK to Transit!

FWIW, that depends on one's situation with NYCERS. Some people direct their pension payments to go to their wives or someone else in their family to continue for 10 years or a smaller structured payment for longer. If you pass away before you retire, IIRC, the amount that you paid in along with the NYCERS death benefit goes to your beneficiaries. 

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

I'll say this much. I have a little over 3 years down here.

Yes, the job schedule can suck; yes, you will have to report to all manner of locations at all manner of times.

And yes, with the analogy of a boss telling you you have to work an extra 9 hours (the analogy references being on board, where you report to a predetermined location and wait on call to pick up an operating job), can be rough.

But also, I'm sorry to say, some of the above is also exaggeration. A lot of what is being discussed here mainly applies when you are super new. 

Even will the sparse time I have, I don't have to deal with super random report locations and times or being on board anymore. That usually lasts but a short time here.

Hell, I know guys with even less time than me who will be able to pick jobs this pick and have a steady life.

As far as discipline.... There have been improvements in that area.

Under more recent bulletins, things like small station and automatic overruns aren't even cause for punishments, depending on circumstances.

But yes, more needs to be done on that front.

A number of people die on retirement...yes. but look at a lot of them and one thing becomes apparent: they didn't take care of their bodies while working. 

One one hand, people here will let themselves go and eat McDonald's like they breathe.

On the other hand, I've personally met train operators who've been collecting pension checks for over a decade; you gotta put in the effort to keep yourself in the best shape possible.

The job is tough and it is for everyone and it's very thankless. This is very true. But for me it's also very rewarding in of itself. If arestab isn't willing to deal with the hectic scheduling, then staying where he is at may be best.

Edited by MarkGuy

2 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

FWIW, I came from call centre work to make the leap into the agency, so the call to join was much stronger for me. 

I'll note that your current salary is roughly what a train operator with a good year of overtime makes, or slightly less than what a dispatcher makes after 6 years in title. The financial incentive to join, especially in light of your current work arrangements isn't going to be as strong, and I would understand if you'd decline the offer. As Jericho noted, Tier VI pensions aren't as slam dunk as previous pensions, and being able to retire at 55 after 25 years of service is still a reduced benefit compared to the full payout with 30 years. But it is a guaranteed payment.

We have former corporate types who come down and try it out, but they're either moving up financially when they accept an offer, they're sick of the corporate world, or they were laid off, and the offer came at the right time. If you're looking for a faster route into management, there's always the operations management positions that are offered every so often as resume opportunities, but they're not as friendly to WFH compared to your current employer.

This is golden and speaks directly to my situation. I come from insurance sales and during my best years I’ve grossed no less than 125k and maxed out at 180k HOWEVER the industry is unstable. I took this test back in early 2017 and I was recently laid off in June 2022. Transit called in Aug. so for me it’s trial and era. If I like it I’ll stay, if not I’ll put in a good 10 years to collect SOMETHING then transition into corporate again, or go entrepreneur.

Bottom line is you only live once, and quite frankly this job for SOME was a 1st “real job” and that no disrespect to anyone. But when you enter ANY situation with maturity and experience, you can look at the glass as half full and kinda maneuver around the snakes and vultures who if not doing this wouldn’t be doing anything, which is why they’re so NASTY to folks. It is whatbit is. I took the test, the opportunity is here… either it will be another notch on my belt- experiment or a career. Everyone is different. I will say 90% of my folks who work for transit are not doing BAD in the least bit. Ppl love to complain. Also to tell the story from one side. To each his own. I gotta see for myself. At least TRY  #respectfully

2 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Yes, the job schedule can suck; yes, you will have to report to all manner of locations at all manner of times.

And yes, with the analogy of a boss telling you you have to work an extra 9 hours (the analogy references being on board, where you report to a predetermined location and wait on call to pick up an operating job), can be rough.

But also, I'm sorry to say, some of the above is also exaggeration. A lot of what is being discussed here mainly applies when you are super new. 

Even will the sparse time I have, I don't have to deal with super random report locations and times or being on board anymore. That usually lasts but a short time here.

Hell, I know guys with even less time than me who will be able to pick jobs this pick and have a steady life.

Under more recent bulletins, things like small station and automatic overruns aren't even cause for punishments, depending on circumstances.

A number of people die on retirement...yes. but look at a lot of them and one thing becomes apparent: they didn't take care of their bodies while working. 

One one hand, people here will let themselves go and eat McDonald's like they breathe.

On the other hand, I've personally met train operators who've been collecting pension checks for over a decade; you gotta put in the effort to keep yourself in the best shape possible.

The job is tough and it is for everyone and it's very thankless. This is very true. But for me it's also very rewarding in of itself. If arestab isn't willing to deal with the hectic scheduling, then staying where he is at may be best.

Thanks for your honesty. I’m a work horse. 8-12 hour days are something I do without noticing. What can I expect to earn with moderate overtime in year 1-2 . Inbox me if this is an uncomfortable question. I appreciate any feedback.

53 minutes ago, NewOP718 said:

Thanks for your honesty. I’m a work horse. 8-12 hour days are something I do without noticing. What can I expect to earn with moderate overtime in year 1-2 . Inbox me if this is an uncomfortable question. I appreciate any feedback.

You’ll be looking somewhere around $88-100k gross with moderate overtime. Here’s the thing about year 1 - 2, you will get assigned non-negotiable overtime anyway as XX, so chances are you’ll be making pretty decent money starting off. I’m not an overtime guy, I have other ways of making extra scratch outside of transit, but my classmates who really jumped into late clears and working RDO’s during XX hit something like 110k his first year. 
Don’t believe the general misconception that every MTA worker is stealing overtime and making $200k/year. You’ll have to work for those 6 figures.

4 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Don’t believe the general misconception that every MTA worker is stealing overtime and making $200k/year. You’ll have to work for those 6 figures.

Amen to that, to get that Kind of Money one has to basically live down here and work 6 days a week ill take my two days off and be happy thanks..

8 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Very good post its not all Gloom and Doom...

I came from off the street in 2001 and its NOTHING and i mean NOTHING(I had to put those to caps so my point can be made) like it is now.

If one comes from a area which is unstable but the Money is good then that's that persons choice.

Yes there's issues but that's with any job these days unless one is signing the checks.

I always say "do what's works best for you not what others say"...

I'm going to post this here too so some of yall folks starting can understand this...

Sigh..

If your train goes BIE call It in Please....

Us as TOs shouldn't NOT put our Partners in a bad position to get on the radio and bang in something Us as TOs should be aware of...

DO not listen to these crew room lawyers on Facebook in these groups to or in the crew room to "Keep it moving" or "Work things out with your partner"..

No no no no....

Do i need to repeat myself?

3 hours ago, RTOMan said:

I'm going to post this here too so some of yall folks starting can understand this...

Sigh..

If your train goes BIE call It in Please....

Us as TOs shouldn't NOT put our Partners in a bad position to get on the radio and bang in something Us as TOs should be aware of...

DO not listen to these crew room lawyers on Facebook in these groups to or in the crew room to "Keep it moving" or "Work things out with your partner"..

No no no no....

Do i need to repeat myself?

They love Fred Durst!!!  "Keep rolling rolling rolling rolling!!!!" (repeat 3x more in the chorus)