Two staircases at Broad Street will be permanently closed

Union Tpke

This is pointless if they still keep the same area on the surface fenced off like it is now.

I guess this isn't as bad as the NYPD permanently closing Park Row and Exit 6 on the FDR Drive, though...

I've always wondered why they never got rid of those entrances years ago. They are very deceiving, since at night you can still see them from a block away but you don't realize they are locked off until you get closer. I've seen quite a few tourists angrily yell at the security guards in that tent that they want to use the entrance.  

Why are they yelling at the NYPD when there are perfectly good staircases right across the street?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Have you seen how entitled and small-minded that tourists can be? There's an entire kind of tourist that just hangs around Times Square and the Empire State Building, goes to TGIF Times Square for all their meals, and then complains that the city is overhyped and too crowded.

Have you seen how entitled and small-minded that tourists can be? There's an entire kind of tourist that just hangs around Times Square and the Empire State Building, goes to TGIF Times Square for all their meals, and then complains that the city is overhyped and too crowded.

There's an entire website about this type of shenanigan.

So the MTA isn't really doing anything besides removing the signage?

Great, 9/11 continues to negatively impact my neighborhood over 15 years later. The NYSE was already fenced off before 9/11 in response to the first WTC attack in 1993, but then they had to push it even further! Take a look at the area in 1999 (in native 1920x1080 resolution):

https://youtu.be/xFqmzqIn2_Y?t=97

We could return to this time if we wanted to, but it's not in the NYPD's interest, and yet they have the audacity to claim that it's not in the public's interest either.

#ReopenParkRow

Great, 9/11 continues to negatively impact my neighborhood over 15 years later. The NYSE was already fenced off before 9/11 in response to the first WTC attack in 1993, but then they had to push it even further!

On the flip side, with cars banned from the area, it's a pretty popular pedestrian plaza that encourages walking around.

On the flip side, with cars banned from the area, it's a pretty popular pedestrian plaza that encourages walking around.

IIRC NYCDOT is currently trying to figure out how to increase east-west pedestrian circulation since the existing pedestrian-only zones are overcrowded.

The one that's longer then 11 cars you mean? That was apart of the old original Willets Point station.

Well, yes. There is an abandoned mezzanine connected to that part of the platform. Presumably it was the original one that went to Willets Point Boulevard.

Archived