Article: AirTrain LGA: Why it should not be built

Union Tpke

My response was sarcastic because people have been doing just that... Clogging up the roads leading to the airport, so I don't see too many other alternatives aside from cheaper transportation.  The potential revenue lost from people not using LaGuardia is worth such an investment.

With LGA's on time rate in the low 60s and the building literally falling apart, you'd think that be enough reason to scare away travelers, but LGA traffic is at an all time high. It's certainly questionable whether that revenue lost is worth $1B that we could be spending on something else.

Are you sure?

In all seriousness, LGA is so close to the two other airports that it ends up restricting the paths that planes can take into JFK or EWR. Closing LGA would probably lead to a decrease in airspace congestion.

In all seriousness, LGA is so close to the two other airports that it ends up restricting the paths that planes can take into JFK or EWR. Closing LGA would probably lead to a decrease in airspace congestion.

then the trump family(not potus) will have to move the airplane and base it in either JFK OR EWR

The N extension to LGA will be shot down by NIMBYs every time.

Here's a novel concept: ignore the NIMBYs and build it anyway. They'll either adjust or move somewhere else. That is how NYC has always worked. Sending the (N) or (W) to LaGuardia is the most obvious and sensible option.

Here's a novel concept: ignore the NIMBYs and build it anyway. They'll either adjust or move somewhere else. That is how NYC has always worked. Sending the (N) or (W) to LaGuardia is the most obvious and sensible option.

That is how NYC used to work. We put laws in to prevent Moses-style abuses from ever happening again, and going back down that road is not a Pandora's box you want to open.

(We should not be building any train to LaGuardia, anyways.)

Yeah, that's a good way to commit political suicide. You'll notice that we haven't steamrolled large-scale projects like that in decades. People like their voices heard and they want to know their elected officials are listening to them and working for them. You can be sure that if the MTA announced tomorrow they were extending the Astoria line to LGA Airport, residents in the affected areas would line up in droves in front of the mayor's office, city council and the Queens borough president to protest this expansion, despite any potential benefits. People don't want new elevated lines outside their windows. They didn't want it back in the 20s when the original Crosstown elevated line was proposed by the BMT and they sure as hell don't want it today. People are willing to tolerate the existing elevated lines primarily because they've been there for nearly a hundred years, sometimes predating the neighborhood itself, and tearing them down would be a severe disservice to said neighborhoods. Yes, some NIMBYs are BANANAs, but to completely disregard their concerns would be a disservice in itself. Transportation, much like any other government entity, does not exist in a bubble.

That is how NYC used to work. We put laws in to prevent Moses-style abuses from ever happening again, and going back down that road is not a Pandora's box you want to open.

(We should not be building any train to LaGuardia, anyways.)

While I agree that a train to LGA is a waste of $$$, I'd like to challenge the notion that RM was all bad. Yes, he was racist, arrogant and petty, but the fact that he held such centralized power allowed him to implement a unified vision for New York without having to pander to special interest groups. What he did with that power, again, is a separate issue, but (and I know I've said this before) public works by definition affect many more lives than just the ones that lie in their path. Being able to build them as such -- giving credence to community issues, while not allowing them to stop projects all together if the project would realize a demonstrable public benefit -- would democratize these processes, allowing all concerns to be weighed equal to their measure. That is what we should aim for. 

Why should we be trying to give cheap alternatives to the airport? If you can afford a plane ticket and you can't spend an extra $5 on your trip, then you really shouldn't be making the trip at all.

What about some of the low wage contractor workers at LGA that have to take transit to get to work?

No way you can close LGA. over 29 million passengers a year. Closing LGA would do nothing to decrease airspace congestion as you would still have the same amount of aircraft in the air but more circling as it would take longer to land at JFK and EWR. Passenger growth at all three airports will only increase

What they should do is abandon Ditmars Blvd, and rebuild Astoria Blvd Station over the GCP in a north east direction, then extend the line to LGA along the GCP, lets see what they have to say about that.

Or do it as I suggested:  A Queens branch of the SAS that would turn on either 116th or 124th (with a stop in Manhattan at 1st Avenue either way) and then go to Randalls Island (making stops at Ichan Stadium and the other side of the Island) before heading to Queens, running north of Ditmars before going to LGA, making a stop there and then across the proposed AirTrain route to Willets Point and potentially continuing from there to JFK as well. 

What they should do is abandon Ditmars Blvd, and rebuild Astoria Blvd Station over the GCP in a north east direction, then extend the line to LGA along the GCP, lets see what they have to say about that.

Do you realize how many people would be inconvenienced by that? I know people that walk for 15 minutes to get to Ditmars to take the train, and this would make their commutes even harder. That is a really dumb idea.

I know people that walk for 15 minutes to get to Ditmars to take the train, and this would make their commutes even harder. That is a really dumb idea.

Yep, I used to do that often, from 49th St. The Q69 bus is not the paragon of reliability.

Well what is cuomo doing by forcing in the LIRR third track?

He (or the MTA) actually had a fair amount of community input and feedback, and the project was modified in response.

He's not forcing it in. There's been plenty of community input and meetings and the project was modified as a result.

Like what? The current iteration, from what I understand, has essentially been presented as fait accompli since Cuomo announced it.

Like what? The current iteration, from what I understand, has essentially been presented as fait accompli since Cuomo announced it.

Well, yes in that way it is being pushed through. However, they are listening to the communities' concerns about the project and changed the design of the overpasses at some stations(and they changed it so most grade crossings will be eliminated)

Why should we be trying to give cheap alternatives to the airport? If you can afford a plane ticket and you can't spend an extra $5 on your trip, then you really shouldn't be making the trip at all.

That's precisely the problem. I spend most of my money on that expensive airfare, so I don't have much left to waste on transportation to the airport. Students have to watch every dime (I mean that literally, actually, and not millennial 'literally').

That's precisely the problem. I spend most of my money on that expensive airfare, so I don't have much left to waste on transportation to the airport. Students have to watch every dime (I mean that literally, actually, and not millennial 'literally').

Then suck it up and take the bus, which is probably going to be cheaper fare-wise than any AirTrain they build anyways. Beggars can't be choosers.

Archived