Q22/Q35 Rockaways Open House

Union Tpke

12 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yes I was referring to the route in Queens but I should have been more specific. In Brooklyn it does pick up more since the B41 does have reliability problems.

Which is why they never should have gotten rid of the rush hour short runs from the Junction to Bergen Beach and Kings Plaza. When they return the Bergen Beach short runs as the B91, when they convert the B41 to SBS, they will attribute the increased reliability to SBS, when all that us needed are the short runs. When I studied the route around 1975, I concluded that without those short runs, waits would have been up to 45 minutes when I surveyed the route for three days because of the traffic at the north end and center portion of the route.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Which is why they never should have gotten rid of the rush hour short runs from the Junction to Bergen Beach and Kings Plaza. When they return the Bergen Beach short runs as the B91, when they convert the B41 to SBS, they will attribute the increased reliability to SBS, when all that us needed are the short runs. When I studied the route around 1975, I concluded that without those short runs, waits would have been up to 45 minutes when I surveyed the route for three days because of the traffic at the north end and center portion of the route.

That would be nice, especially for me. If I could get off the train and see a bus waiting on Flatbush Avenue going to Bergen Beach, that would be lovely. Right now, if the B41 is late, then I have to take the Q35 to Quentin Road and walk home from there.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:04 AM, BrooklynBus said:

I don't think neither one (SBS on the B41 or that "B91" bit)  will stop the bleeding (ridership-wise) on the B41.....

Matter fact, I think it'll end up making the B41/Flatbush av corridor overall, worse off than what it is now......

19 hours ago, Rafa said:

When I use to do that awful q22 in two months five days a week I did not pick up more than say 2-3 passengers a week west of 116st. 

Lol.... I rest my case.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:04 AM, BrooklynBus said:

The B91 was proposed/hypothesized by a member on here (who stated that it wasn't an MTA proposal). 

32 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The B91 was proposed/hypothesized by a member on here (who stated that it wasn't an MTA proposal). 

The B91 was proposed by the MTA to go into effect during rush hours when they begin B41 SBS service. The B9 would serve Bergen Beach at all times unless they discontinue overnight service to Bergen Beach. 

24 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

The B91 was proposed by the MTA to go into effect during rush hours when they begin B41 SBS service. The B9 would serve Bergen Beach at all times unless they discontinue overnight service to Bergen Beach. 

That proposal was PhotoShopped by a member on here. It was his idea, it wasn't an official MTA idea. (It's a good idea and might very well be what the MTA has in mind, but it hasn't been released by the MTA)

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That proposal was PhotoShopped by a member on here. It was his idea, it wasn't an official MTA idea. (It's a good idea and might very well be what the MTA has in mind, but it hasn't been released by the MTA)

You know that for sure? Has the MTA released any details about a B41 SBS?

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

You can't look at this & tell that it was 'shopped?

You may agree w/ having the B9 running to Bergen Beach, but there hasn't been anything remotely hinting towards that drastic of a change to the actual route.....

As for the graphic itself, I mean my god..... For starters, the person responsible for this fantasy rendering has the distinguishable '+' associated with select bus service superscripted instead of centered jB815.gif

.....never mind there being as many SBS stations within Downtown Bklyn to begin with, but "Supreme Court" being one of them... Come on.... LMFAO.

flatbush-av-select-bus-poster-1-638.jpg?

30 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

You can't look at this & tell that it was 'shopped?

You may agree w/ having the B9 running to Bergen Beach, but there hasn't been anything remotely hinting towards that drastic of a change to the actual route.....

As for the graphic itself, I mean my god..... For starters, the person responsible for this fantasy rendering has the distinguishable '+' associated with select bus service superscripted instead of centered jB815.gif

.....and "Supreme Court" being an SBS station... Come on.... LMFAO.

flatbush-av-select-bus-poster-1-638.jpg?

I think this poster is photoshopped, and outdated now. By this time, the MTA has not even started community outreach over the route for SBS. Even a new 7th Avenue stop would be nice, and since traffic congestion is bad, an update on where to place bus lanes is needed.

In all honesty, I believe that there shouldn’t  be any stop in Downtown Brooklyn should be a SBS stop. If anything , we should take a page out of the DOT Downtown Brooklyn Surface Transit Circulation Study and build a new Downtown Brooklyn Bus terminal AWAY from the Livingston Street and Fulton Mall corridor. This allows for a new fare free shuttle bus to run there every 2 minutes and replace ALL current bus routes on those streets (the northern end of the B67 will be served by another route). The truncated bus routes (which would terminate at the new terminal) the become more reliable for other passengers.

2 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I think this poster is photoshopped, and outdated now. By this time, the MTA has not even started community outreach over the route for SBS. Even a new 7th Avenue stop would be nice, and since traffic congestion is bad, an update on where to place bus lanes is needed.

In all honesty, I believe that there shouldn’t  be any stop in Downtown Brooklyn should be a SBS stop. If anything , we should take a page out of the DOT Downtown Brooklyn Surface Transit Circulation Study and build a new Downtown Brooklyn Bus terminal AWAY from the Livingston Street and Fulton Mall corridor. This allows for a new fare free shuttle bus to run there every 2 minutes and replace ALL current bus routes on those streets (the northern end of the B67 will be served by another route). The truncated bus routes (which would terminate at the new terminal) the become more reliable for other passengers.

Yeah, right now, any definitive specifics about a B41 SBS is fiction......

Speaking of something mythical, let's not parrot that study.... It isn't plausible at all & quite frankly, I'm not going over this again.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I am not familiar with the Downtown Brooklyn Circulation Study but I informally proposed a bus terminal near Atlantic Terminal in the late 1970s. But instead of a free shuttle bus, I proposed likght rail on Fulton Street. 

And PS, I didn't examine the poster that closely. I wouldn't think that someone here would photoshop something like that. 

3 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

I PMed the person (not in an accusatory way, but just out of curiosity) and the person said that they PhotoShopped it (and that they mentioned it in the thread or in the post that it wasn't an official proposal). 

16 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I am not familiar with the Downtown Brooklyn Circulation Study but I informally proposed a bus terminal near Atlantic Terminal in the late 1970s. But instead of a free shuttle bus, I proposed likght rail on Fulton Street. 

They should’ve done that a long time ago.

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I PMed the person (not in an accusatory way, but just out of curiosity) and the person said that they PhotoShopped it (and that they mentioned it in the thread or in the post that it wasn't an official proposal). 

I didn't think too much of the proposal quite frankly (regardless if it was "official" or fantasy), b/c I'm not all that high on SBS to begin with..... However, there are people that have a vested interest in the service & are really inquisitive about what the next SBS route is going to be - and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that.....

I don't want to make like I'm aiming much of this at you; I'm really only quoting you here because I want to ask..... Do you have a link of this declaration?

NVM, I found it:

...and if, before the MTA comes out with an "official" B41 proposal, I'm going to use that post for future reference whenever someone brings up this B41 SBS.

The B41 is being considered for SBS service. It's just being considered with like 20-something other routes at the same time, and whichever one they implement next is honestly anybody's guess.

Honestly, the one I would like to see the most is an enforced busway running from Sutphin/Hillside to Springfield/Hillside, that all the buses on Hillside can use with SBS style pre-payment. But that would require out of the box thinking on the MTA's part. (Sutphin from Jamaica Station to Hillside should also be a transit mall, but I'm getting ahead of myself.)

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The B41 is being considered for SBS service. It's just being considered with like 20-something other routes at the same time, and whichever one they implement next is honestly anybody's guess...

I know it's being considered, I'm saying that dude's proposal isn't the actual MTA proposal like some around these parts originally believed that it was.

the mta is trying to slip this by in a fog of misleading words...

"travel path adjustment"?

no details and not a lot of publicity about the "open house". no notices about this on the buses themselves or on the timetable signposts.

seems like an attempt to slip this by and then say they had a meeting and no one seemed to care enough to show up.

we're told that at the meeting we can "learn and ask questions about the changes" not the PROPOSED changes. looks like they think this is a fait accompli

just spoke to council member ulrich's office and until my call they were unaware of tonight's "open house".

seems to remind me about how we lost peninsula hospital.

ferries are great but the bus routes are the lifeblood of the rockaway peninsula.

it's not a lack of passengers...over 4000 people ride the q35 on an average weekday. this despite the wretched condition of the ancient buses. stops are two blocks apart except in the long swing from neponsit ave and 147 and newport and 145. if the bus is rerouted to RBB as some people fear, the walk to and from bus stops will be more than doubled.

5 minutes ago, bawphinnhang said:

the mta is trying to slip this by in a fog of misleading words...

"travel path adjustment"?

no details and not a lot of publicity about the "open house". no notices about this on the buses themselves or on the timetable signposts.

seems like an attempt to slip this by and then say they had a meeting and no one seemed to care enough to show up.

we're told that at the meeting we can "learn and ask questions about the changes" not the PROPOSED changes. looks like they think this is a fait accompli

just spoke to council member ulrich's office and until my call they were unaware of tonight's "open house".

seems to remind me about how we lost peninsula hospital.

ferries are great but the bus routes are the lifeblood of the rockaway peninsula.

it's not a lack of passengers...over 4000 people ride the q35 on an average weekday. this despite the wretched condition of the ancient buses. stops are two blocks apart except in the long swing from neponsit ave and 147 and newport and 145. if the bus is rerouted to RBB as some people fear, the walk to and from bus stops will be more than doubled.

Guess Ulrich's Office didn't read my article this week in the Queens Chronicle. The public notice should have stated that 25 bus stops will be removed unless they changed what they proposed last September to Community Board 14 which was totally rejected.

6 hours ago, bawphinnhang said:

....we're told that at the meeting we can "learn and ask questions about the changes" not the PROPOSED changes. looks like they think this is a fait accompli....

Everything they decide on/conclude is a fait accompli..... No matter how much whooping-and-hollering & pleading & inquiring & "hoping that the MTA will make things 'right' " is done at these meetings, it's all set in stone & not even King Arthur can pull that sword out of it....

Waste of time AFAIC to even attend them.

Who asked for/thought of this? Eliminating stops and rerouting the Q35 seems to be more of a burden than a help as it already runs rather smoothly (it is one of the two buses to get an "A" in performance from busturnaround.nyc , the other one being the Bx29). Aren't there other routes in Queens that could benefit greater from consolidated stops and reroutes onto other streets?

As for the Q22, you could speed it up using TSP as bus lanes would be overkill considering amount of drivers and lack of lanes on major roads within the Rockaways. If any section needs to have bu stops balanced though, it should be the Q22 east of Beach 90th.

12 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Who asked for/thought of this? Eliminating stops and rerouting the Q35 seems to be more of a burden than a help as it already runs rather smoothly (it is one of the two buses to get an "A" in performance from busturnaround.nyc , the other one being the Bx29). Aren't there other routes in Queens that could benefit greater from consolidated stops and reroutes onto other streets?

As for the Q22, you could speed it up using TSP as bus lanes would be overkill considering amount of drivers and lack of lanes on major roads within the Rockaways. If any section needs to have bu stops balanced though, it should be the Q22 east of Beach 90th.

The brilliant minds at Operations Planning. The same people who brought you the 2010 service cuts and the lightly utilized 30 minute shuttle bus routes. 

Archived