Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9618

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.71b36a2103f0305bdbdc1fc057f33cd1.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9618

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 8, 2021, with an expiration date, as of now, of September 8th, 2025.

Pay: Starts at $26.19 and increases to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: () - For Medical: ()

Next Training Class: To Be Determined in 2023 (Last one was September 25th, 2022)

Resources: To find out your list number, click here and type either your last name or "9618" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated November 5th, 2022)

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

that was MABSTOA I think.

Is it true that for NYCT you only get to do depots in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island? I wanted to do things like the Q44 and Bx12 SBS.

TA allows you to go to any borough. Only problem is because Queens and Staten Island are under a different union other than TWU, you can't transfer out unless you were originally pushed into either of those boroughs to begin with. You pick into Queens or Staten Island you're pretty much stuck there for the remainder of your tenure.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:17 AM, SoSpectacular said:

TA allows you to go to any borough. Only problem is because Queens and Staten Island are under a different union other than TWU, you can't transfer out unless you were originally pushed into either of those boroughs to begin with. You pick into Queens or Staten Island you're pretty much stuck there for the remainder of your tenure.

Oh how wonderful.

Are newbies often picked to do SBS routes, or do we get to do a "preference"?

28 minutes ago, Jarob1220 said:

Hey just applied for this B/O exam and I have a question. With this being NYCT do I take a civil service exam as well as the BOSS exam? How long does your BOSS results stay active?

Yes, we will probably be taking both exams at the test site, first the BOSS, then the civil service exam. As far as the BOSS results, if you pass both exams, your name will be on the list. As far as applying to other exams for MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company, your results stay active for one [1] calendar year.

Just paid for the exam. I received an email back when the filing period started stating to wait a week after the filing period to pay for the exam. Something told me to log into my online account and there was the message saying to pay for filing. So I guess it’s now official I applied for the test

5 hours ago, Jarob1020 said:

How often is the mta employment website updated? I logged into my account and paid for this exam received my email stating that it was accepted but the site says payment failed....is this something that will update or do I need to contact exams?

I would contact the Examinations unit...their information can be found at the bottom of this page.

9 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Are there practice tests or a mockup test for this exam that I can do? Thanks

From prior experience, this and this practice exams should do the trick. Even the newest Bus Operator book that is out, which can be viewed here and here, is, in my opinion, about 25% useful and 75% useless. Most of the information that they talk about in that book comes into play way after the civil service exam has been administered.

Edited by +Young+

1 minute ago, +Young+ said:

From prior experience, this and this practice exams should do the trick. Even the newest Bus Operator book that is out, which can be viewed here and here, is, in my opinion, about 25% useful and 75% useless.

Ok thanks. Also since I missed the last exam because I was sick, am I now banned from doing that exam or am I ok?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Ok thanks. Also since I missed the last exam because I was sick, am I now banned from doing that exam or am I ok?

You should be okay. Things come up, and I have never heard of someone being "banned" from an exam. Now once you get to Livingston Street for pre-employment processing, then it's a different ballpark.

1 hour ago, Jarob1020 said:

Why are they giving NYPDs exam to bus operators?

I have personally taken the last four exams for Bus Operator (2613, 4600, 7612 and 9604). Not only from my experience, but from reading what other people have been posting, all of those books that are out there are, for the most part, useless with a few exceptions, which I would not recommend for someone taking this test for the first time. Even if you compare the bottom of the fourth and the top of the fifth pages of the Notice of Examination with those Test Prep Kits, you'll see that those kits contain a "small" sample of most of the items that will be on the exam in June.

Edited by +Young+

19 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

You should be okay. Things come up, and I have never heard of someone being "banned" from an exam. Now once you get to Livingston Street for pre-employment processing, then it's a different ballpark.

I have personally taken the last four exams for Bus Operator (2613, 4600, 7612 and 9604). Not only from my experience, but from reading what other people have been posting, all of those books that are out there are, for the most part, useless with a few exceptions, which I would not recommend for someone taking this test for the first time. Even if you compare the bottom of the fourth and the top of the fifth pages of the Notice of Examination with those Test Prep Kits, you'll see that those kits contain a "small" sample of most of the items that will be on the exam in June.

Thanks. Wish me luck!

Edited by +Young+

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So I did a dumb mistake by submitting the application without a resume even though I tried to attach it a million times. Can I still attach it or no, and will it affect my chances? 

A resume is not necessary. If you look at the very top of the second page of the Notice of Examination, it says "There are no formal education or experience requirements for this position." Even when I applied to the other Bus Operator exams, I just applied, submitted my credit card information at the end and that was it.