Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
+Young+

Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9618

+Young+

Here is the Notice of Examination for this specific exam.

Good luck!!

Message added by +Young+

Recommended Posts

I hate that you have to pick up an application at 180 if you don't want to pay online. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 1:24 AM, nipaaaa said:

another one? Didn't they just have a test in December 2018?

that was MABSTOA I think.

Is it true that for NYCT you only get to do depots in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island? I wanted to do things like the Q44 and Bx12 SBS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

that was MABSTOA I think.

Is it true that for NYCT you only get to do depots in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island? I wanted to do things like the Q44 and Bx12 SBS.

TA allows you to go to any borough. Only problem is because Queens and Staten Island are under a different union other than TWU, you can't transfer out unless you were originally pushed into either of those boroughs to begin with. You pick into Queens or Staten Island you're pretty much stuck there for the remainder of your tenure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 1:17 AM, SoSpectacular said:

TA allows you to go to any borough. Only problem is because Queens and Staten Island are under a different union other than TWU, you can't transfer out unless you were originally pushed into either of those boroughs to begin with. You pick into Queens or Staten Island you're pretty much stuck there for the remainder of your tenure.

Oh how wonderful.

Are newbies often picked to do SBS routes, or do we get to do a "preference"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey just applied for this B/O exam and I have a question. With this being NYCT do I take a civil service exam as well as the BOSS exam? How long does your BOSS results stay active?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jarob1220 said:

Hey just applied for this B/O exam and I have a question. With this being NYCT do I take a civil service exam as well as the BOSS exam? How long does your BOSS results stay active?

Yes, we will probably be taking both exams at the test site, first the BOSS, then the civil service exam. As far as the BOSS results, if you pass both exams, your name will be on the list. As far as applying to other exams for MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company, your results stay active for one [1] calendar year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I’m hearing that because the L train shutdown isn’t happening now they are slowing down with hiring but I’m also hearing that this year is a huge retirement year. So are they really slowing down on hiring? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just paid for the exam. I received an email back when the filing period started stating to wait a week after the filing period to pay for the exam. Something told me to log into my online account and there was the message saying to pay for filing. So I guess it’s now official I applied for the test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How often is the mta employment website updated? I logged into my account and paid for this exam received my email stating that it was accepted but the site says payment failed....is this something that will update or do I need to contact exams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jarob1020 said:

How often is the mta employment website updated? I logged into my account and paid for this exam received my email stating that it was accepted but the site says payment failed....is this something that will update or do I need to contact exams?

I would contact the Examinations unit...their information can be found at the bottom of this page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Are there practice tests or a mockup test for this exam that I can do? Thanks

From prior experience, this and this practice exams should do the trick. Even the newest Bus Operator book that is out, which can be viewed here and here, is, in my opinion, about 25% useful and 75% useless. Most of the information that they talk about in that book comes into play way after the civil service exam has been administered.

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, +Young+ said:

From prior experience, this and this practice exams should do the trick. Even the newest Bus Operator book that is out, which can be viewed here and here, is, in my opinion, about 25% useful and 75% useless.

Ok thanks. Also since I missed the last exam because I was sick, am I now banned from doing that exam or am I ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

From prior experience, this and this practice exams should do the trick. Even the newest Bus Operator book that is out, which can be viewed here and here, is, in my opinion, about 25% useful and 75% useless.

Why are they giving NYPDs exam to bus operators?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Ok thanks. Also since I missed the last exam because I was sick, am I now banned from doing that exam or am I ok?

You should be okay. Things come up, and I have never heard of someone being "banned" from an exam. Now once you get to Livingston Street for pre-employment processing, then it's a different ballpark.

1 hour ago, Jarob1020 said:

Why are they giving NYPDs exam to bus operators?

I have personally taken the last four exams for Bus Operator (2613, 4600, 7612 and 9604). Not only from my experience, but from reading what other people have been posting, all of those books that are out there are, for the most part, useless with a few exceptions, which I would not recommend for someone taking this test for the first time. Even if you compare the bottom of the fourth and the top of the fifth pages of the Notice of Examination with those Test Prep Kits, you'll see that those kits contain a "small" sample of most of the items that will be on the exam in June.

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

You should be okay. Things come up, and I have never heard of someone being "banned" from an exam. Now once you get to Livingston Street for pre-employment processing, then it's a different ballpark.

I have personally taken the last four exams for Bus Operator (2613, 4600, 7612 and 9604). Not only from my experience, but from reading what other people have been posting, all of those books that are out there are, for the most part, useless with a few exceptions, which I would not recommend for someone taking this test for the first time. Even if you compare the bottom of the fourth and the top of the fifth pages of the Notice of Examination with those Test Prep Kits, you'll see that those kits contain a "small" sample of most of the items that will be on the exam in June.

Thanks. Wish me luck!

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I did a dumb mistake by submitting the application without a resume even though I tried to attach it a million times. Can I still attach it or no, and will it affect my chances? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So I did a dumb mistake by submitting the application without a resume even though I tried to attach it a million times. Can I still attach it or no, and will it affect my chances? 

A resume is not necessary. If you look at the very top of the second page of the Notice of Examination, it says "There are no formal education or experience requirements for this position." Even when I applied to the other Bus Operator exams, I just applied, submitted my credit card information at the end and that was it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

.... any rumblings about a test filing extension?

Why would you think that? Not many people applied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.