Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9618

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.71b36a2103f0305bdbdc1fc057f33cd1.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9618

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 8, 2021, with an expiration date, as of now, of September 8th, 2025.

Pay: Starts at $26.19 and increases to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: () - For Medical: ()

Next Training Class: To Be Determined in 2023 (Last one was September 25th, 2022)

Resources: To find out your list number, click here and type either your last name or "9618" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated November 5th, 2022)

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HeadhunterCali said:

They're starting again with hiring! I just got the email to come in this month for day 1 of pre employment. So excited, especially since i missed my first appointment back in March.

Hey that's awesome. What's your list number from this exam remember to (XX) out the last few numbers. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by -Galan-
Grammatical

5 minutes ago, Boo Bear said:

Hello.  I got a email also. Report 8/25

at 630am 180 Livingston…..Let’s go

Nice!! Yes let's go! From what I've seen from previous post's it seems like it's a 3 week process from the 1st day of pre employment to 2nd day medical to 1st day of training. So hopefully we'll all start Training some time early/mid September. So excited!!! 😊 

IN ANOTHER POST I HAD ASKED IF IS ONE DRUG TEST (URINE ANALYSIS) THEY USED FOR THE EXAMS. SINCE THEY WERE CALLING BACK TO BACK AND THE DRUG TEST LAST FOR 3 - 90 DAYS.

SO I ASKED ONE OF THE HR LADIES ABOUT IT AND SHE SAID YES EACH EXAM REQUIRES A DRUG TEST.  SO IF YOU GOT CALLED FOR MORE THAN ONE EXAM YOU HAVE TO TAKE A DRUG TEST FOR EACH. I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE AT 6:30 BUT I GOT THERE AT 8AM MISS LADY WAS ANNOYED YALL DONT BE ANSWER PHONE ND WHY BE EARLY FOR A PROCESS THAT TAKES ALL DAY + YALL NEED PEOPLE. I WAS THERE FOR 5 HOURS THOUGH, INSTEAD OF WHOLE DAY LIKE THE LAST FEW TIMES.

33 minutes ago, misslo said:

IN ANOTHER POST I HAD ASKED IF IS ONE DRUG TEST (URINE ANALYSIS) THEY USED FOR THE EXAMS. SINCE THEY WERE CALLING BACK TO BACK AND THE DRUG TEST LAST FOR 3 - 90 DAYS.

SO I ASKED ONE OF THE HR LADIES ABOUT IT AND SHE SAID YES EACH EXAM REQUIRES A DRUG TEST.  SO IF YOU GOT CALLED FOR MORE THAN ONE EXAM YOU HAVE TO TAKE A DRUG TEST FOR EACH. I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE AT 6:30 BUT I GOT THERE AT 8AM MISS LADY WAS ANNOYED YALL DONT BE ANSWER PHONE ND WHY BE EARLY FOR A PROCESS THAT TAKES ALL DAY + YALL NEED PEOPLE. I WAS THERE FOR 5 HOURS THOUGH, INSTEAD OF WHOLE DAY LIKE THE LAST FEW TIMES.

The thing with mta is that they expect you to wait forever but they won’t wait for you. 

31 minutes ago, HeadhunterCali said:

For those who have done the day 1 process. How did the Employment history part and the termination part go? Were they very strict about that? I have 10 jobs I've had since High School and 3 of them are permanently closed. I've been fired from 1 of my 10 jobs. So I'm abit nervous. 😒😔

Just list everything, make sure there are no "gaps." If there are "gaps," just disclose how you were financially supported during this time (family members, unemployment, savings, etc.) Even if they are permanently closed, just list it to the best of your knowledge. As far as being fired, just disclose it and you should be fine.

I also got an email to go in next week for day 1 processing. Ive already done day 1 processing and went in for day 2 processing on may 17 but got placed on medical hold. Will i have to redo the pre employment application and day 1? Or can I just redo the drug test and pickup where I left off and resume with day 2?

7 minutes ago, Ronn said:

I also got an email to go in next week for day 1 processing. Ive already done day 1 processing and went in for day 2 processing on may 17 but got placed on medical hold. Will i have to redo the pre employment application and day 1? Or can I just redo the drug test and pickup where I left off and resume with day 2?

The pre-employment paperwork and the medical examinations are good for ninety (90) calendar days, and the drug (urine) tests are good for thirty (30) calendar days.

Therefore, chances are that you will have to start from scratch. However, if you still have the pre-employment packet saved electronically, which can be accessed by clicking here, all you have to do is change the date, update any information, print it out, and you should be good to go!

Good luck!!

Well i went in today for day 1 at 12pm. Application went good, even with a prior termination ( they said their more so looking for if you got fired for something criminal or extreme) but drug testing capped while waiting so i at almost 4pm i was told to come back on Wednesday to get drug tested. I saved my application electronically just in case.

The process is still long. But all in all i went at 6:30am today and finished at 12:30pm (drug test) They did say its an all day thing. For people in the future. Always carry your passport/birth certificate, drivers license/permit, social security card, immunization/vaccination card. Fill out the application in chronological order, Either ascending or descending. Again start with the most recent job (i feel like thats easier) all the way until you reach the day you turned 18. If you don't have a computer at home use the library computer.  Writing all that employment history is a doozy. Keep all the documents in one folder, so that every time MTA calls you just grab and go. For its worth i am going all the way through and not chicken out. This process is anxiety inducing. But anyway good luck guys.

20 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

They make guys downgrade 😳

No. They don’t make anyone downgrade. But you have to have passenger endorsement. If you have A with passenger endorsement then you’re fine. I had a guy in my class with a A license and he still has it to this day. You must have a passenger endorsement and that requires a skills test. 

9 hours ago, Mido said:

Hi everyone, I have a class C license so I only need to pass air brakes and I’m good or I need something else any ideas ? thanks .

When you originally went to the DMV to get your Class C license, I'm assuming you took General Knowledge and Passenger Endorsement, correct? If so, then you just need air brakes and you should be good to go.

3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

They make guys downgrade 😳

This is NOT true, even in the private sector...

3 hours ago, lornaevo said:

No. They don’t make anyone downgrade. But you have to have passenger endorsement. If you have A with passenger endorsement then you’re fine. I had a guy in my class with a A license and he still has it to this day. You must have a passenger endorsement and that requires a skills test. 

Back in the summer of 2013, I went for a Class A CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), in which I took the multiple-choice examinations for General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination and Passenger Endorsement. Since I failed the 10-Day Training Session in February of 2014, I used the same CLP to successfully take and pass my first CDL road test in a tractor trailer a few months later, which is a Class A CDL. Since I had the Passenger Endorsement, I was given the "N2" restriction, which, according to the second page of this PDF document, means that, at the time, I could not operate a vehicle designated for eight or more adult passengers, such as a full-sized bus.

In an effort to eliminate the N2 restriction on my license, the following summer, I went back to DMV, took the multiple-choice examination for the School Bus Endorsement, and was issued a Class B CLP. I successfully used this during the next two months, in which I took and passed a road test in a former School Bus in which I have a "M" restriction, which allows me to drive a full-sized bus, including, but not limited to, Coach Buses, School Buses, Shuttle Buses, Transit Buses, etc. with my Class A CDL.

Therefore, if you look at the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination, the key words are "no disqualifying restrictions."

Some restrictions which are not disqualifying, according to the second page of this PDF document, are "B" (Corrective Lenses), "E" (No Manual Transmission CMV), "K" (Intrastate only), and "M" (No Class A Passenger Vehicle).

(When you enter 180 Livingston Street and for the 10-Day Training Session, the "K" restriction is acceptable. Now, once you get passed training, and you happen to get sent to Staten Island, which includes the S89 route to and from New Jersey, then that's another ballpark for another time, respectively.)

Some restrictions which are disqualifying are "L" (No Airbrakes), "N1" (No vehicle designated for fifteen or more passengers), and "N2" (No vehicle designated for eight or more passengers).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Hopefully this clears up the confusion.

I was gonna say something earlier. But yeah, I was there last week for day 1 processing and a guy who i think works for the MTA in some capacity, one of the HR people was persuading him to downgrade to the class B, my mans was not having it. It was a real argument that day. It was settled somehow, but they (MTA) is starting to move funny now. As in theyre combing through the details of your application and really parsing the details of the license.

11 hours ago, +Young+ said:

When you originally went to the DMV to get your Class C license, I'm assuming you took General Knowledge and Passenger Endorsement, correct? If so, then you just need air brakes and you should be good to go.

Back in the summer of 2013, I went for a Class A CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), in which I took the multiple-choice examinations for General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination and Passenger Endorsement. Since I failed the 10-Day Training Session in February of 2014, I used the same CLP to successfully take and pass my first CDL road test in a tractor trailer a few months later, which is a Class A CDL. Since I had the Passenger Endorsement, I was given the "N2" restriction, which, according to the second page of this PDF document, means that, at the time, I could not operate a vehicle designated for eight or more adult passengers, such as a full-sized bus.

In an effort to eliminate the N2 restriction on my license, the following summer, I went back to DMV, took the multiple-choice examination for the School Bus Endorsement, and was issued a Class B CLP. I successfully used this during the next two months, in which I took and passed a road test in a former School Bus in which I have a "M" restriction, which allows me to drive a full-sized bus, including, but not limited to, Coach Buses, School Buses, Shuttle Buses, Transit Buses, etc. with my Class A CDL.

Therefore, if you look at the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination, the key words are "no disqualifying restrictions."

Some restrictions which are not disqualifying, according to the second page of this PDF document, are "B" (Corrective Lenses), "E" (No Manual Transmission CMV), "K" (Intrastate only), and "M" (No Class A Passenger Vehicle).

(When you enter 180 Livingston Street and for the 10-Day Training Session, the "K" restriction is acceptable. Now, once you get passed training, and you happen to get sent to Staten Island, which includes the S89 route to and from New Jersey, then that's another ballpark for another time, respectively.)

Some restrictions which are disqualifying are "L" (No Airbrakes), "N1" (No vehicle designated for fifteen or more passengers), and "N2" (No vehicle designated for eight or more passengers).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Hopefully this clears up the confusion.

11 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Thank you for responding, yes I took General Knowledge and Passenger Endorsement, and I got class C license so I need to add air brakes , please make sure I’m good because I don’t want to be disqualified I’m very confused and thanks everyone.