OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday Feb 7, 2022 there was a press conference reguarding about OMNY that on the on Feb 28, 2022 they will begin the testing of the 7 days unlimited on the OMNY system. It will for 4 months which will end in June30th I believe. They said that from Monday-Sunday if you used up too $33 equivalent to a 7 day unlimited Metro Card the following week you get the unlimited OMNY.  Now it is for the same week you have to use an equivalent to $33 but not "any day" that can add up to $33 which I for the testing phase is useless for people who doesn't take the subway/bus often and they will not get the unlimited.  The said they have a technology to make it any day that can be add up to an equivalent to $33 but they are not doing it now which I think is wrong.  It would be nice if they make it "any day" so it can add up to $33. So now they are "forcing rides" to use the subway to just to get up to $33. I mean if people are working that's fine but what about that don't have a job or retired.  For the 30 day unlimited card they will "expand" it which I hope they do it soon so I can switch to the OMNY system instead of using a Metro Card.

Another good thing is they said they will make LIRR, Metro North, Bus, and subways all OMNY which I think everyone know but the good news is you can "transfer" from a Subway, Bus, LIRR, and Metro North which hopefully you will not be charged and it will be treated like a "regular transfer just like bus and subways".  That I like if it comes true and it should be that way.   Hopefully in the coming days and moths we will hear about OMNY.  So far I am looking forward to OMNY news.

The press conference is here

Edited by mikecintel

I just called the MTA to make a clarification about the fare capping they tell my that for example if I use from Monday to Wednesday up to $33 then it would be unlimited and it ends Sundays.  The following Monday I will have start over again to add up to $33.  Isn't the purpose of fare capping to have an equivalent of $33 to a 7 day Metro Card? So another words the unlimited for an example that I use Mon-Wed and kicks in Wednesday it would start the unlimited and it should end the following Tuesday.  They rep said no if you used up to $33 till Wednesday it kicks in and you have until Sunday to for the unlimited so that means it is not a 7 day unlimited card. To me it is rip off because $33 is for 7 days and this fare capping you don't even get 7 days of use it's only for that week.  I UNDERSTAND that this is a pilot and it can change after when the pilot is over but as for pilot it's a rip off.  Maybe some of you disagree with me but I am shocked at what the MTA is doing.  They should make it 7 days fare capping like after the $33 you gets 7 days of use not for the week and that is it.

22 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

I just called the MTA to make a clarification about the fare capping they tell my that for example if I use from Monday to Wednesday up to $33 then it would be unlimited and it ends Sundays.  The following Monday I will have start over again to add up to $33.  Isn't the purpose of fare capping to have an equivalent of $33 to a 7 day Metro Card? So another words the unlimited for an example that I use Mon-Wed and kicks in Wednesday it would start the unlimited and it should end the following Tuesday.  They rep said no if you used up to $33 till Wednesday it kicks in and you have until Sunday to for the unlimited so that means it is not a 7 day unlimited card. To me it is rip off because $33 is for 7 days and this fare capping you don't even get 7 days of use it's only for that week.  I UNDERSTAND that this is a pilot and it can change after when the pilot is over but as for pilot it's a rip off.  Maybe some of you disagree with me but I am shocked at what the MTA is doing.  They should make it 7 days fare capping like after the $33 you gets 7 days of use not for the week and that is it.

Huh?!

7 days unlimited means all rides during that seven days, not just the ones before or after you reach the $33 threshold. That's how it's always worked, and how it will work with the new program. No change there. 

The only new limitation is that the 7-day period always starts on a Monday. That does make it a shitty deal if you're a tourist in town, say, Thurs.-Wed.. But not for your example. If you use the subway every day, it's the same deal as before. 

There are two new advantages

1. You don't have to plan and specifically buy an unlimited card in advance. Just use OMNY. It's automatic. 
  2. If you take fewer rides than expected, you won't get a raw deal. Before, if you bought an unlimited card and only took a few rides with it, you were still out $33. Tough luck. But now you will just automatically be charged per-ride. No sweat. 

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

Fare capping is saying “you spent this much, so we’re automatically upgrading you to this unlimited so you don’t spend more money for ‘X’ timeframe”.

Its never been “spend this much and get a free bus pass” - that’s a marketing promotion. 

2 hours ago, rbrome said:

Huh?!

7 days unlimited means all rides during that seven days, not just the ones before or after you reach the $33 threshold. That's how it's always worked, and how it will work with the new program. No change there. 

The only new limitation is that the 7-day period always starts on a Monday. That does make it a shitty deal if you're a tourist in town, say, Thurs.-Wed.. But not for your example. If you use the subway every day, it's the same deal as before. 

1. You don't have to plan and specifically buy an unlimited card in advance. Just use OMNY. It's automatic. 
  2. If you take fewer rides than expected, you won't get a raw deal. Before, if you bought an unlimited card and only took a few rides with it, you were still out $33. Tough luck. But now you will just automatically be charged per-ride. No sweat. 

Yeah, since everyone is laser focused on "equity" these days, people that pushed for this argued that poor people couldn't take advantage of cheaper fares via a pass because they couldn't afford the upfront costs, so fare capping allows those people to save as well, and still pay as they go.

2 hours ago, rbrome said:

Huh?!

Thanks for you reply I don't mean to cause an argument but for the regular Metro Card for 7 days if you start to use on Sunday isn't it suppose to end the following Saturday?  The rep told me if you that for example on Wednesday you reach to $33 and it will be automatic ungraded to Unlimited (I understand that part) but she tells me it will END the coming Sunday NOT next Tuesday.  How can that be 7 days unlimited?  It's only 5 days unlimited then.   Am I missing something here?   I see about the advantage you are right.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Fare capping is saying “you spent this much, so we’re automatically upgrading you to this unlimited so you don’t spend more money for ‘X’ timeframe”.

Its never been “spend this much and get a free bus pass” - that’s a marketing promotion. 

Yes I understand what Fare capping means you spend X amount time frame and you don't pay more then you what you spend.  But what I am saying is if it is comparable to a $33 Unlimited Metro Card should you get the same as the 7 day Metro Card unlimited too and not limit the OMNY for the same week.  Too me it makes no sense.  I hope they do change the policy because to me that is not right.  I hope when they do the 30 unlimited OMNY it will be for the whole month equivalent to 46 rides and when it is up to $127 currently lets' say in the middle of the month (E.G March 15 it will continue to run until April 14).  If they do up to March 31st and it STOPS that is not right because it is not even 1 month.  I am not trying to cause an argument here.  I know it is not “spend this much and get a free bus pass”.

Edited by mikecintel

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

But what I am saying is if it is comparable to a $33 Unlimited Metro Card should you get the same as the 7 day Metro Card unlimited too and not limit the OMNY for the same week.

Maths:

Fare is $2.75 for a ride and transfer. Round trip is $5.50.

$5.50 x 6 days = $33

Unlimited card is $33/week.

So if you needed to travel Saturday, with fare capping it’s free rides; without it it’s another $5.50.

What’s the problem now?

44 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Maths:

Fare is $2.75 for a ride and transfer. Round trip is $5.50.

$5.50 x 6 days = $33

Unlimited card is $33/week.

So if you needed to travel Saturday, with fare capping it’s free rides; without it it’s another $5.50.

What’s the problem now?

OK I got the math part. Yes the $33 is a week and you will not pay more that part I got.  What I am saying for example you say if I had to travel Saturday it will be free and Sunday OK I got it.  Once it goes into Monday it should be Free too and it should not start over again to use up to $33.  So let's say Saturday it starts $33 and with the following Friday coming my unlimited OMNY card would ending.  That would be 7 days unlimited. 

The MTA rep I spoke too says "it doesn't work that way". She said if let's say you got up to $33 on Wednesday 3-16-22 and it will be free unlimited rides till SUNDAY 3-20-22.  I asked her shouldn't it be until 3-22-22 and she said "NO" it doesn't work that way. So that is my complaint here why are we capping for $33 equivalent to a 7 day unlimited but it is not fully 7 days of use and it is for 4 days of use?  That is why I said that is a rip off if you know what I mean.  We are not getting the full usage of the $33 OMNY pilot unlimited.  I hope my explanation is understood.  I don't want to start a rant and in the forums I am trying to follow the rules.  I want to be diplomatic.

5 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

OK I got the math part. Yes the $33 is a week and you will not pay more that part I got.  What I am saying for example you say if I had to travel Saturday it will be free and Sunday OK I got it.  Once it goes into Monday it should be Free too and it should not start over again to use up to $33.  So let's say Saturday it starts $33 and with the following Friday coming my unlimited OMNY card would ending.  That would be 7 days unlimited. 

The MTA rep I spoke too says "it doesn't work that way". She said if let's say you got up to $33 on Wednesday 3-16-22 and it will be free unlimited rides till SUNDAY 3-20-22.  I asked her shouldn't it be until 3-22-22 and she said "NO" it doesn't work that way. So that is my complaint here why are we capping for $33 equivalent to a 7 day unlimited but it is not fully 7 days of use and it is for 4 days of use?  That is why I said that is a rip off if you know what I mean.  We are not getting the full usage of the $33 OMNY pilot unlimited.  I hope my explanation is understood.  I don't want to start a rant and in the forums I am trying to follow the rules.  I want to be diplomatic.

If they did that while on a Sun-Sat capping schedule, they’d be giving away free rides.

Thats a marketing promotion.

Once they see it works - operationally and financially, maybe the 7-day period goes Mon-Sun, or is based on the first swipe after “x” days of no swipes, or maybe you’ll go on OMNY’s site/app and pick a day.

Or maybe they’ll count fares up to a 30-day unlimited equivalent and then give you the rest of the month.

It’s a test now - let them get the answers right so we can have nice(r) things.

35 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If they did that while on a Sun-Sat capping schedule, they’d be giving away free rides.

Thats a marketing promotion.

Once they see it works - operationally and financially, maybe the 7-day period goes Mon-Sun, or is based on the first swipe after “x” days of no swipes, or maybe you’ll go on OMNY’s site/app and pick a day.

Or maybe they’ll count fares up to a 30-day unlimited equivalent and then give you the rest of the month.

It’s a test now - let them get the answers right so we can have nice(r) things.

Ok. Hopefully it goes to X numbers until you reach $33 and can start "any day" that you reach $33 and it starts from that day till next week not the coming week it ends because really that is bad. It's like you are only using half of the unlimited days or even only ONE day and on Monday you have to "start fresh meaning you have to reach to $33 again".

If they count the fares up to 30 days equivalent to unlimited Metro and give you a whole month that's great because I am using monthly unlimited card for work now so I can switch if it goes to that for the 30 days.

So I don't think be using this pilot of the OMNY $33 equivalent of the 7 days unlimited Metro Card because from what I see here it's not right for me. I was thinking Ok since it's like the 7 days unlimited Metro card once I reach to $33 e.g Wednesday and the following Tuesday it will end the unlimited but if they are doing Monday to Sunday and it is not "any day" then I am skipping it. I was so excited when they announced the omny unlimited but as of now it's not right for me 😥. I was going to help the MTA to do pilot so they can get feedback but no thanks I will skip this pilot until the "next one comes up" and **hopefully** it is a better one.

Ok I will let them test it. No harm done but I was just shocked that all. I was not expecting them to have something like this for OMNY for $33.

Edited by mikecintel

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Ok. Hopefully it goes to X numbers until you reach $33 and can start "any day" that you reach $33 and it starts from that day till next week not the coming week it ends because really that is bad. It's like you are only using half of the unlimited days or even only ONE day and on Monday you have to "start fresh meaning you have to reach to $33 again".

If they count the fares up to 30 days equivalent to unlimited Metro and give you a whole month that's great because I am using monthly unlimited card for work now so I can switch if it goes to that for the 30 days.

So I don't think be using this pilot of the OMNY $33 equivalent of the 7 days unlimited Metro Card because from what I see here it's not right for me. I was thinking Ok since it's like the 7 days unlimited Metro card once I reach to $33 e.g Wednesday and the following Tuesday it will end the unlimited but if they are doing Monday to Sunday and it is not "any day" then I am skipping it. I was so excited when they announced the omny unlimited but as of now it's not right for me 😥. I was going to help the MTA to do pilot so they can get feedback but no thanks I will skip this pilot until the "next one comes up" and **hopefully** it is a better one.

Ok I will let them test it. No harm done but I was just shocked that all. I was not expecting them to have something like this for OMNY for $33.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The (MTA) is giving riders much more flexibility by allowing fare capping and not having to park money upfront. Quite frankly, I don't see why someone who is already getting a deal by not having to pay upfront should have the exact same advantages as someone who is parking their money upfront for a weekly pass. The customer paying for the pass is the one that may lose if they don't take a certain amount of trips to break even and cover that $33 they laid out.

4 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Yeah you are looking at this wrong

This pilot is essentially the same as buying a weekly every Monday but instead of paying it on one go you pay it with the initial PPR option. Once MTA collects $33 you get the rest of the week free. So the MTA gets the $33 for the week either way

what you wanted is more like you paid for the MTA using the current Metrocard using pay per ride to $33 and MTA gives you a free weekly pass. Under your ideal scenario MTA essentially gives a buy one get one free deal for weekly pass

It will therefore never happen because then everyone will spend $33 for essentially TWO week of free ride without the week limit

44 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

So the fare capping is for 7 consecutive days, but only if Day 1 = Monday ? 

The seven-day period begins at 12 a.m. on Monday and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday. 

It works like this... You could start riding say Wednesday and spend $33.00 in trips on the local bus and subway. If you did, all trips after that would be free until 11:59pm on Sunday.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The (MTA) is giving riders much more flexibility by allowing fare capping and not having to park money upfront. Quite frankly, I don't see why someone who is already getting a deal by not having to pay upfront should have the exact same advantages as someone who is parking their money upfront for a weekly pass. The customer paying for the pass is the one that may lose if they don't take a certain amount of trips to break even and cover that $33 they laid out.

That I understand if riders don't have enough money the fare capping will work because once they get to $33 they don't pay more. The reason why I am saying it should be the same as people of pay up front is because their "replacing" upfront weekly pass and isn't it the purpose to replace something to make it the same and it is new?  What is the point of if your replacement something and it is not the same?  I understand that the pass is for people who may loose if they don't a certain amount of trip if they pay upfront for $33.  Won't it be the same for fare capping too for OMNY too for instance I take the train Monday and Wednesday and I don't get up to an equivalent of $33 I don't the free ride? 

3 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

That I understand if riders don't have enough money the fare capping will work because once they get to $33 they don't pay more. The reason why I am saying it should be the same as people of pay up front is because their "replacing" upfront weekly pass and isn't it the purpose to replace something to make it the same and it is new?  What is the point of if your replacement something and it is not the same?  I understand that the pass is for people who may loose if they don't a certain amount of trip if they pay upfront for $33.  Won't it be the same for fare capping too for OMNY too for instance I take the train Monday and Wednesday and I don't get up to an equivalent of $33 I don't the free ride? 

They are not replacing weekly passes. This is an option in addition to passes. Anyone who wants a weekly pass can still buy one using a Metrocard. In order to eliminate the weekly pass, the (MTA) would have to have the Board take up a vote and it would have to pass. This is simply a pilot program. Remember that parts of OMNY is still being done in stages, so it is too early to say what we'll see in terms of pass options.

5 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Yeah you are looking at this wrong

This pilot is essentially the same as buying a weekly every Monday but instead of paying it on one go you pay it with the initial PPR option. Once MTA collects $33 you get the rest of the week free. So the MTA gets the $33 for the week either way

what you wanted is more like you paid for the MTA using the current Metrocard using pay per ride to $33 and MTA gives you a free weekly pass. Under your ideal scenario MTA essentially gives a buy one get one free deal for weekly pass

It will therefore never happen because then everyone will spend $33 for essentially TWO week of free ride without the week limit

You are correct what I wanted is more like what I paid for the MTA 7 day unlimited Metro card but I always buy the 30 days because I work 5 days a week.  Well with this COVID crisis a few days I work remote so I but the 7 day unlimited for now. What I don't understand is how is the MTA giving you a free weekly pass when you just paid $33?  Too me it is not a free ride because you just paid $33 and that your promised to have the unlimited ride.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They are not replacing weekly passes. This is an option in addition to passes. Anyone who wants a weekly pass can still buy one using a Metrocard. In order to eliminate the weekly pass, the (MTA) would have to have the Board take up a vote and it would have to pass. This is simply a pilot program. Remember that parts of OMNY is still being done in stages, so it is too early to say what we'll see in terms of pass options.

Ok thank you.  Now I am clear.  I though they are "replacing the weekly pass" because they make it sound like we are replacing the Metro card with OMNY which is true and so therefore my thinking is like what I just said "it will be like the 7 days Metro card".  I know it is a pilot program and I know OMNY is being in done in stages.  I love transit so I always try to keep on top of the news in transit.  OK I will wait in terms of the pass options.

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

You are correct what I wanted is more like what I paid for the MTA 7 day unlimited Metro card but I always buy the 30 days because I work 5 days a week.  Well with this COVID crisis a few days I work remote so I but the 7 day unlimited for now. What I don't understand is how is the MTA giving you a free weekly pass when you just paid $33?  Too me it is not a free ride because you just paid $33 and that your promised to have the unlimited ride.

Because under your system a person could in theory, spread out the $33 Monday through Sunday in Pay Per rides in week 1, and get unlimited rides for week 2 starting on Sunday of week 1, that means the MTA gets $33 for two weeks instead of one week, which is essentially losing half the revenue

The current system prevents that abuse, because the weeks are reset every Sunday. This new system is intended to ensure people do not pay more than the current weekly pass (people who are low income or people who miscalculate, often spending more on Pay Per Rides than a full week worth of passes) . You are still getting a week worth of rides for $33, its just not as flexible as the current system (has to begin on Monday/end on Sunday)

Edited by Mtatransit

9 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Because under your system a person could in theory, spread out the $33 Monday through Sunday in Pay Per rides in week 1, and get unlimited rides for week 2 starting on Sunday of week 1, that means the MTA gets $33 for two weeks instead of one week, which is essentially losing half the revenue

The current system prevents that abuse, because the weeks are reset every Sunday. This new system is intended to ensure people do not pay more than the current weekly pass (people who are low income or people who miscalculate, often spending more on Pay Per Rides than a full week worth of passes) . You are still getting a week worth of rides for $33, its just not as flexible as the current system (has to begin on Monday/end on Sunday)

Now I see thank you.  The MTA should explain clearly because it very confusing to people where people like me think it will be working like the "exact system" as to the Metro Card for 7 days.  Agreed it really not as flexible as the 7 day Metro Card.  If the MTA is creating a new payment system it should be "more flexible" then the current one but oh well that's what the MTA wants and how they want to run then that is the way.

Edited by mikecintel

11 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Have they hinted on how OMNY will be used on the railroads?

Not clear yet, and with the software issues, everything is delayed now. I pretty much switched over to OMNY, but if I need Metro-North, what I do now is either walk to the station since it's a 15 minute walk or just go by car, as I can't pay for the shuttle bus since it does not take OMNY. It's so funny because the shuttle bus drivers see me and open the door for me, but I don't get on, as I wait for the express bus since it takes OMNY. I inquired about a timeline and they couldn't provide anything.