OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

1 hour ago, BillAv said:

It's been over two years since the system went online.  If they wanted to cap, it would have been ready day one. Two years and counting means they don't want to do it.  We've been told that the system is secure enough for pay-as-you-go fares (not to mention linking ONMY to your credit card on their website), but not secure enough for capping?  Reconfiguring the system would involve reprogramming all those "vending machines"?   I'm sure that when the fare is raised to $3 or $3.50, reprogramming will be easy as pie.

With that said, I've been using OMNY for the past two weeks.  I've got a few scattered days off this month, so I'll come out ahead if I only take the subway to commute.  No issues with tapping in or double charges so far.  The only issue I ran into was when I intentionally kept my watch away from the reader to see how close I had to get for it to be read.  I got a message saying that I had to tap in again.  I got two alerts from my CC provider saying that I had been charged (I get auto alerts), but when I checked online, only one had been posted.  So thumbs up, so far.

They have always said that they would move in stages and they have done just that. That's precisely why the Metrocard is still in play until 2023 to ensure that there is a smooth transition over to OMNY, and there have been issues. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They have always said that they would move in stages and they have done just that. That's precisely why the Metrocard is still in play until 2023 to ensure that there is a smooth transition over to OMNY, and there have been issues. 

I'm going to concede.  I was going to say that there was no reason that fare capping couldn't have been implemented in an earlier stage, but what do I know?  Based on the  performance of the MTA app, I assume that they must have hired the programming team that worked on Duke Nukem Forever.

7 hours ago, BillAv said:

I'm going to concede.  I was going to say that there was no reason that fare capping couldn't have been implemented in an earlier stage, but what do I know?  Based on the  performance of the MTA app, I assume that they must have hired the programming team that worked on Duke Nukem Forever.

Well technically it could've been implemented, but their focus initially was on security and reliability. I had asked them back in 2019 and back then they were excited about the potential, but they said then that they weren't sure what they wanted to do. Something to consider is that fare capping can't just be implemented without it being approved by the (MTA) Board, so there has to be a process and discussion regardless.

I went to my local Walgreens right along Baychester yesterday, and I noticed that they had the One Metro New York contactless cards available there. Since I needed to buy something else other than that earlier, I went to a retail clerk (lets call her Mia*) that somehow knew my mom. She was unusually courteous to me. I later went back there after going to a laundromat along Pitman to dry some clothes, hoping that I would get the card there. Sure enough, I got the card and I went to the retail clerk (lets call him William*) that was there when I came back later. I struggled with asking him about a particular aspect of the card, but he was understanding. He called over his coworker and asked if they can sell it to me. He said no, which he told me. I asked him something like: "Don't you have any special card readers to detect it?" He said something like: "We do not know why we cannot sell it, but it ain't eligible to be sold here." At that point, I am thinking something like: "I should have just seen Mia* while she was at the retail area." I really thought it was strange that it cannot be sold there, when the card that I wanted to get was good for five years - meaning that it was not expired.

*I just simply made those names up.

2 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I went to my local Walgreens right along Baychester yesterday, and I noticed that they had the One Metro New York contactless cards available there. Since I needed to buy something else other than that earlier, I went to a retail clerk (lets call her Mia*) that somehow knew my mom. She was unusually courteous to me. I later went back there after going to a laundromat along Pitman to dry some clothes, hoping that I would get the card there. Sure enough, I got the card and I went to the retail clerk (lets call him William*) that was there when I came back later. I struggled with asking him about a particular aspect of the card, but he was understanding. He called over his coworker and asked if they can sell it to me. He said no, which he told me. I asked him something like: "Don't you have any special card readers to detect it?" He said something like: "We do not know why we cannot sell it, but it ain't eligible to be sold here." At that point, I am thinking something like: "I should have just seen Mia* while she was at the retail area." I really thought it was strange that it cannot be sold there, when the card that I wanted to get was good for five years - meaning that it was not expired.

*I just simply made those names up.

...what?

2 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I was surprised myself regarding how that went down. I did not expect that from him, but I did not fight him at all. I am thinking of going there tomorrow morning.

God willing, I would see my mom's favorite clerk there.

What as is I didn't understand a single thing in that story...

While not explicitly MTA related, PATH signed a separate contract with Cubic to install tap and go "similar to OMNY", along with their own fare card.

Seems to fly in the face of them being an OMNY affiliate

https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/en/press-room/press-release-archives/2021-press-releases/path-system-to-install-next-generation-tap-and-go-fare.html

On 11/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

My local Walgreens could not sell me the One Metro New York card that they had among the gift cards. That was what mainly happened.

Are you under 18 or something? If so, that would explain it. Your mother could buy it for you in that case, but you need cash... $5.00 for the card, and a $1 minimum to load money onto it.

And LMAO at the made up names. What is that all about?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

23 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

While not explicitly MTA related, PATH signed a separate contract with Cubic to install tap and go "similar to OMNY", along with their own fare card.

Seems to fly in the face of them being an OMNY affiliate

https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/en/press-room/press-release-archives/2021-press-releases/path-system-to-install-next-generation-tap-and-go-fare.html

It shouldn't matter though, as the readers should be compatible with OMNY. 

When the new system is operational, customers of both PATH and the MTA will be able to use their phones, credit or debit cards for both systems to travel between New York and New Jersey.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Are you under 18 or something? If so, that would explain it. Your mother could buy it for you in that case, but you need cash... $5.00 for the card, and a $1 minimum to load money onto it.

And LMAO at the made up names. What is that all about?

One, I am actually twenty eight, and two, I just simply made the names up so that I would not put them on blast.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It shouldn't matter though, as the readers should be compatible with OMNY. 

I hope thats true. The new Boston ones will be the same design as OMNY, so I would imagine the same for PATH. 

Part of the whole OMNY concept was one card, cross selling fares, etc hence my comment but I could be wrong

50 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

One, I am actually twenty eight, and two, I just simply made the names up so that I would not put them on blast.

So then why couldn't he sell you the OMNY card? The only other thing I could think of is he couldn't load any money on it. That happened at the first place I went to. The scanner that they use for the barcode was broken and they couldn't verify the OMNY card and load the amount I wanted to put on it, so I went to another place. As for the names, if you're only using first names, no one is going to know. lol

9 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I hope thats true. The new Boston ones will be the same design as OMNY, so I would imagine the same for PATH. 

Part of the whole OMNY concept was one card, cross selling fares, etc hence my comment but I could be wrong

Worst case scenario you'll have to use a regular debit or credit contactless card, but everything that I've heard says that compatibility won't be an issue. Actually, I thought they had already installed OMNY on the NJ side and was trying to use it when I was traveling from Manhattan, but realized that they hadn't yet.

New PATH turnstiles in 2023 will be Smartlink and OMNY compatible, but would replace Smartlink card with something else in 2024, like their own clone of OMNY. 

PATH multi-ride Smartlink cards are bought for number of rides, not a monetary amount per se. We'll see what happens with that in 2024. 

Smartlink seems to be in the same predicament as CTA's old Chicagocard. It was tap-and-go and worked fine, but technology killed it, and the firm that came up with it I think went belly-up. 

Edited by Amtrak41

Reviewing my OMNY account now, and I see that the last time I rode on Sunday, I got a free transfer and that transfer was over two hours after my initial tap, so the transfer time has to be at a minimum what the Metrocard was, at two hours and 18 minutes. I tapped on the express bus first and then got a transfer to a local bus two hours and 12 minutes later since I didn't feel like paying for Uber to go essentially crosstown four long City blocks, but I wasn't expecting to get a free transfer. I actually took two express bus trips on one fare since the OMNY reader was broken (frozen) going back home. lol

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Reviewing my OMNY account now, and I see that the last time I rode on Sunday, I got a free transfer and that transfer was over two hours after my initial tap, so the transfer time has to be at a minimum what the Metrocard was, at two hours and 18 minutes. I tapped on the express bus first and then got a transfer to a local bus two hours and 12 minutes later since I didn't feel like paying for Uber to go essentially crosstown four long City blocks, but I wasn't expecting to get a free transfer. I actually took two express bus trips on one fare since the OMNY reader was broken (frozen) going back home. lol

Luck you! Lol. If the OMNY reader keeps on "Freezing" you know how much $$$ we would save. Haven't seen the subway station the OMNY "Frozen" yet.  Yes on the buses I do see sometimes and it says "Not in Service" but then I think the driver flip a switch or something and then it goes to the "Home screen" I call it where it says OMNY tap here.

32 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Luck you! Lol. If the OMNY reader keeps on "Freezing" you know how much $$$ we would save. Haven't seen the subway station the OMNY "Frozen" yet.  Yes on the buses I do see sometimes and it says "Not in Service" but then I think the driver flip a switch or something and then it goes to the "Home screen" I call it where it says OMNY tap here.

Driver has no control over the OMNY reader.  I've been on at least three express buses so far recently where the OMNY reader looked fine, but when I went to tap a contactless card, nothing happened, so they were frozen on that screen.  The amount of "NOT IN SERVICE" OMNY readers has also been high.  I've boarded a good three express buses recently where they were "NOT IN SERVICE" and stayed that way the entire ride.  Given that a number of riders were challenged by bus operators for the broken OMNY readers, I've been extremely vocal about what a ridiculous policy the (MTA) has about OMNY and have made it clear that they should change their asinine policy.

Their policy is that if you board and an OMNY reader is broken, they expect you to have a back-up Metrocard because OMNY is just an option to pay for now, but if the reverse happens where the farebox is broken, you aren't expected to have a payment with OMNY, so I made it clear that I think it's a BS policy and I've been filing formal complaints when drivers have harassed me on it.

A number of other riders in my group have been doing the same.  The drivers have essentially accused them of farebeating and riders' response is to take a seat, and I applaud them. I no longer use a Metrocard with any regularity since I bought an OMNY card and I have no intentions of going back to it, nor should be I forced to either. 

Ultimately, this is their payment system and it's their problem if their readers are broken.  Since I've made a stink, no driver has complained or been confrontational, as they should not be. Now if I board at the first stop and it reads "NOT IN SERVICE" and the driver asks me to come up when it comes on, I'm happy to oblige and have done that a few times now, but I expect to be treated with respect. Don't come at me with the accusations that I'm a fare beater like one driver did when the OMNY reader was frozen. He offered no apology for his rude, unprofessional behavior and just said "oh it isn't working" after calling himself showing me up when I went to tap and nothing happened.  Then he had the nerve to call me up to the front, take his contactless card out and attempt to tap as if he showing me something I don't know, so I said yeah it's frozen - I was thinking to myself dude I've been using contactless cards for years now, so this is not new technology despite it seeming new here in the US. It's very popular overseas.  Only when nothing happened did he stop with the harassment, so I went and took a seat and filed a formal complaint and that's how I handle it.  

41 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Driver has no control over the OMNY reader.  I've been on at least three express buses so far recently where the OMNY reader looked fine, but when I went to tap a contactless card, nothing happened, so they were frozen on that screen.  The amount of "NOT IN SERVICE" OMNY readers has also been high.  I've boarded a good three express buses recently where they were "NOT IN SERVICE" and stayed that way the entire ride.  Given that a number of riders were challenged by bus operators for the broken OMNY readers, I've been extremely vocal about what a ridiculous policy the (MTA) has about OMNY and have made it clear that they should change their asinine policy.

Their policy is that if you board and an OMNY reader is broken, they expect you to have a back-up Metrocard because OMNY is just an option to pay for now, but if the reverse happens where the farebox is broken, you aren't expected to have a payment with OMNY, so I made it clear that I think it's a BS policy and I've been filing formal complaints when drivers have harassed me on it.

A number of other riders in my group have been doing the same.  The drivers have essentially accused them of farebeating and riders' response is to take a seat, and I applaud them. I no longer use a Metrocard with any regularity since I bought an OMNY card and I have no intentions of going back to it, nor should be I forced to either. 

Ultimately, this is their payment system and it's their problem if their readers are broken.  Since I've made a stink, no driver has complained or been confrontational, as they should not be. Now if I board at the first stop and it reads "NOT IN SERVICE" and the driver asks me to come up when it comes on, I'm happy to oblige and have done that a few times now, but I expect to be treated with respect. Don't come at me with the accusations that I'm a fare beater like one driver did when the OMNY reader was frozen. He offered no apology for his rude, unprofessional behavior and just said "oh it isn't working" after calling himself showing me up when I went to tap and nothing happened.  Then he had the nerve to call me up to the front, take his contactless card out and attempt to tap as if he showing me something I don't know, so I said yeah it's frozen - I was thinking to myself dude I've been using contactless cards for years now, so this is not new technology despite it seeming new here in the US. It's very popular overseas.  Only when nothing happened did he stop with the harassment, so I went and took a seat and filed a formal complaint and that's how I handle it.  

WOW !😱 I can't believe the drive made a big stink about that.  Just unbelievable!  I feel sorry you have to go through that. Does it say anywhere if the OMNY is broken you have to pay with a backup card?  If not then they can't say anything.  You Go dude and report them because there can't treat you like with no respect. And the MTA says we have customer service?  This customer service when the driver's are yelling at their customers?  Please....Yes thanks for heads up.  Yes keep on complain to the MTA.  Everyone should complain to the MTA.  If the driver taps the reader and it does not work look who is the fool now...the driver LOL!,

47 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

WOW !😱 I can't believe the drive made a big stink about that.  Just unbelievable!  I feel sorry you have to go through that. Does it say anywhere if the OMNY is broken you have to pay with a backup card?  If not then they can't say anything.  You Go dude and report them because there can't treat you like with no respect. And the MTA says we have customer service?  This customer service when the driver's are yelling at their customers?  Please....Yes thanks for heads up.  Yes keep on complain to the MTA.  Everyone should complain to the MTA.  If the driver taps the reader and it does not work look who is the fool now...the driver LOL!,

Yeah, I inquired about their policy and that is their "official policy", but I think unofficially, they've backed off a bit given how angry riders are about it.  As I said, I know a number of riders in my group have taken a stand. They just take a seat and that's that.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, I inquired about their policy and that is their "official policy", but I think unofficially, they've backed off a bit given how angry riders are about it.  As I said, I know a number of riders in my group have taken a stand. They just take a seat and that's that.

I see.  Thanks for telling us.  I didn't see that in the mta official policy.  I don't see it on their website.  If they said that it should on the website.  If it says on the website  then there would no fight and there is peace for once.  At least we are prepared.  When it happened to me the drive didn't say anything to me.  If the driver said that to me I would call the MTA customer immediately  while on the bus and the drive would hear it.  I would put the speaker phone on until a customer service Person answer so people can hear it live.  This ridiculous.

42 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

I see.  Thanks for telling us.  I didn't see that in the mta official policy.  I don't see it on their website.  If they said that it should on the website.  If it says on the website  then there would no fight and there is peace for once.  At least we are prepared.  When it happened to me the drive didn't say anything to me.  If the driver said that to me I would call the MTA customer immediately  while on the bus and the drive would hear it.  I would put the speaker phone on until a customer service Person answer so people can hear it live.  This ridiculous.

I asked one of the Customer Service folks at the (MTA) that is in my group. I'll pull it up and post it when I find it.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:04 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

WTF? Yeah... that's a totally bullshit policy. OMNY is way past the pilot/testing stage; it's launched. Not 100% deployed, but very much officially launched. They really expect everyone to still carry a MetroCard? 🤯 That's a hard no from me. If their machine is broken, that's their problem. That's the only remotely reasonable policy.