OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I heard from a rider in my group that she saw OMNY cards in a Walgreen's but they could not sell them yet.

Do you know why?.  I called my local Walgreens/CVS and they said they have them but they can't sell them like you said but didn't tell me why.  You know if MTA wants people to use their own proprietary card then they need to sell that then.  Why announce that we are launching the OMNY card but then when you go to the they can't sell it because they have a problem or something.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mikecintel said:

Do you know why?.  I called my local Walgreens/CVS and they said they have them but they can't sell them like you said but didn't tell me why.  You know if MTA wants people to use their own proprietary card then they need to sell that then.  Why announce that we are launching the OMNY card but then when you go to the they can't sell it because they have a problem or something.

It appears that they can't activate the cards, and if they can't activate them, then they can't sell them, as the merchant has to be the one to activate the cards.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It appears that they can't activate the cards, and if they can't activate them, then they can't sell them, as the merchant has to be the one to activate the cards.

OK Thank you.  I hope they can get this fix soon or they can call IT to have this activation thing to be resolved so they can active the cards.

Just now, mikecintel said:

OK Thank you.  I hope they can get this fix soon or they can call IT to have this activation thing to be resolved so they can active the cards.

There is supposed to be an official list of stores eventually available for people that want to buy OMNY cards, but that is not available yet to my knowledge.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There is supposed to be an official list of stores eventually available for people that want to buy OMNY cards, but that is not available yet to my knowledge.

Oh Wow, This is going to fun...We just have to wait and I will have to use the old Metro Card now blah.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Fare capping is coming on 3/1, automatically capping rides in a 1 week period to $33.  The pilot runs till the end of June.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/13/nyregion/omny-nyc-subway-fare-capping.html

Like the contactless capping in London, the capping period will be fixed Monday-Sunday, so it's not a replica of the current weekly pass. Capping will also be a 4 month pilot. Nevertheless this good news for OMNY users and a good way to test the system.

In my opinion I'm sure we will see more capping schemes and time based passes come to OMNY before Metrocard is gone. 

I called the MTA regarding starting March 1, 2022 about OMNY starting the trial for 7 days unlimited and I asked them about the 30 days.  The rep told me that after when the trail ends on June 30, 2022 they will start the trail for the 30 days unlimited OMNY.  I think that is ridiculous!  Why are they splinting up the trials.  If they do the 7 day unlimited they should also do the 30 days unlimited for OMNY.

21 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I called the MTA regarding starting March 1, 2022 about OMNY starting the trial for 7 days unlimited and I asked them about the 30 days.  The rep told me that after when the trail ends on June 30, 2022 they will start the trail for the 30 days unlimited OMNY.  I think that is ridiculous!  Why are they splinting up the trials.  If they do the 7 day unlimited they should also do the 30 days unlimited for OMNY.

With all this procrastination and foot-dragging, I don't expect Metrocard retirement to occur until 2024. 

3 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

With all this procrastination and foot-dragging, I don't expect Metrocard retirement to occur until 2024. 

Yes true with the MTA they do thing slow like snail mail (USPS) and they seem to "push everything back" so I can see it occur until 2024.  If they do retire the Metro card on time that would be nice but I don't see them doing on time.  They said this year they will introduce the fares before the end off 2021 but it has been "push back".

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I have a contact who knows someone on the ACTA committee (found that out literally this week but that's another story); and supposedly reduced fare OMNY is coming sometime in the spring.

Subject to change of course, but that's the current plan.

Reduced fare is already in the pilot stages and quite frankly, they've bundled it terribly. They were discussing it at the board meeting I think last month or the month before that. They're getting a lot of heat because they rolled out OMNY and it doesn't include the disabled community. Right now there are some guinea pigs testing that, some who are (MTA) Board members that are disabled. Supposedly it works, but they still have kinks to work out before it is expanded. They technically had a soft launch I believe way back last year where if someone called and asked that had a reduced fare card, supposedly, some of those people were switched over to OMNY.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Reduced fare is already in the pilot stages and quite frankly, they've bundled it terribly. They were discussing it at the board meeting I think last month or the month before that. They're getting a lot of heat because they rolled out OMNY and it doesn't include the disabled community. Right now there are some guinea pigs testing that, some who are (MTA) Board members that are disabled. Supposedly it works, but they still have kinks to work out before it is expanded. They technically had a soft launch I believe way back last year where if someone called and asked that had a reduced fare card, supposedly, some of those people were switched over to OMNY.

Yup. They were supposed to start the full rollout for reduced fare by the end of last month and now they’re behind.

And if that’s falling behind and being bungled up, I’m thinking when they get to access a ride and the railroads, that’s gonna be a whole other can of worms.

15 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Yup. They were supposed to start the full rollout for reduced fare by the end of last month and now they’re behind.

And if that’s falling behind and being bungled up, I’m thinking when they get to access a ride and the railroads, that’s gonna be a whole other can of worms.

I have to say that they really have a mess on their hands. I can't tell you how many "free rides" I have received using OMNY. It would seem that at least three times a month or more I either get a free ride or pay less than $6.75 for my trip, and I only ride a handful of times a week. lol OMNY readers are either broken, frozen, or say "GO", but don't deduct the fare. Then there are some that only deduct $2.75. LOL I was checking my OMNY account the other day and realized I was charged $2.75 earlier this week going home on the BxM2. Under "Trips", for the bus line, it said "OTHER". What is frightening is that they've been testing this technology for who knows how long now and it still is a mess.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Hi Everyone,

I just went to the mta meeting website and they have the CPOC already for January 24,2022.  The link is here https://new.mta.info/document/72541

The page starts from 27-44 about OMNY.  I took a glimpse of it and OMNY software will be enable for Seniors this year reduce fares. The card are Yellow (retiree meaning seniors) Green (Students).  I thought for the "regular" OMNY cards will be in different colors but they didn't say anything so I guess it will be in plain B&W blah.

OMNY software to be enabled in 2022:

Expanded payment features
• Paratransit AAR ID EU Card
• B2B portal for bulk sales
One-quarter of NYCT riders are paying their fare with OMNY using their bank
cards or digital wallets
• Reduced Fare Card
• Mobile Sales Vans
• CVM
• Single Ride Ticket
• ORS (Cash handling)
• Universal MTA Pass (Employees)

Schedule Planned Software release for 2022-2024

NYCT
• Weekly Fare Cap Pilot (New): Feb 2022
• Paratransit: September 2021 --> April 2022
• Reduced Fare: September 2021--> April 2022
• CVM/SRT: January 2022 (CVM installation through February 2023)
September 2022 (CVM installation through October 2023)
• Mobile app (trip tools): September 2021---> 2023 (with additional payment options)

I guess we have to wait for the Mobil App maybe this year or until next year then 2023.

Six-Month Look-Ahead for Baseline Contract

Infrastructure Additional fare payment options
CVM deployment planning for NYCT
MNR/HRL – validator installations

Additional fare payment options

Paratransit AAR ID – OMNY EU card
Full launch – Reduced Fare

Beta testing

Mobile App w/OMNY Account and trip
planning features
Reduced Fare Soft Launch – OMNY Card
and Open Loop (underway)

Development and Design

RRs Workshops and Final Design Reviews
Finalize design of ORS 1.0
NYCT out-of-system transfer
NYCT Reduced Fare Round Trip/CVM

Schedule will be adjusted with a revised completion in 3Q 2024 to account for:

Prolonged scope finalization with contractor to adhere to Commuter
Railroad requirements. The proposed change order issued in October 2021 is
expected to be awarded in 2Q 2022.
CVM deployment has been delayed due to changes in functional
requirements, delay in UI/UX design, and failed first article inspection testing.
OMNY Revenue System (ORS) has been delayed due to additional software
requirements.
Software requirements, including extensive testing, for weekly fare capping.
IEC forecasts a 15-month delay to overall project completion beyond the
original July 2023 Substantial Completion.
Work related to NYCT will be completed sooner for maximum benefit to Bus
and Subway customers.
IEC forecast is based on progress to date, risks to remaining activities,
impact of pending change orders and changes to stakeholder-driven
priorities.

Wow so I guess the "Metro Card" will be retired in 2024 then.  By then if it is still around who is going to us a Metro Card anyway.  It is like tokens once the Metro Card was widely available everyone used Metro Cards.  The NEXT update for OMNY will in JUNE  AND DECEMBER 2022.

17 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Hi Everyone,

I just went to the mta meeting website and they have the CPOC already for January 24,2022.  The link is here https://new.mta.info/document/72541

The page starts from 27-44 about OMNY.  I took a glimpse of it and OMNY software will be enable for Seniors this year reduce fares. The card are Yellow (retiree meaning seniors) Green (Students).  I thought for the "regular" OMNY cards will be in different colors but they didn't say anything so I guess it will be in plain B&W blah.

• Paratransit AAR ID EU Card
• B2B portal for bulk sales
One-quarter of NYCT riders are paying their fare with OMNY using their bank
cards or digital wallets
• Reduced Fare Card
• Mobile Sales Vans
• CVM
• Single Ride Ticket
• ORS (Cash handling)
• Universal MTA Pass (Employees)

Schedule Planned Software release for 2022-2024

NYCT
• Weekly Fare Cap Pilot (New): Feb 2022
• Paratransit: September 2021 --> April 2022
• Reduced Fare: September 2021--> April 2022
• CVM/SRT: January 2022 (CVM installation through February 2023)
September 2022 (CVM installation through October 2023)
• Mobile app (trip tools): September 2021---> 2023 (with additional payment options)

I guess we have to wait for the Mobil App maybe this year or until next year then 2023.

Six-Month Look-Ahead for Baseline Contract

Infrastructure Additional fare payment options
CVM deployment planning for NYCT
MNR/HRL – validator installations

Additional fare payment options

Paratransit AAR ID – OMNY EU card
Full launch – Reduced Fare

Beta testing

Mobile App w/OMNY Account and trip
planning features
Reduced Fare Soft Launch – OMNY Card
and Open Loop (underway)

Development and Design

RRs Workshops and Final Design Reviews
Finalize design of ORS 1.0
NYCT out-of-system transfer
NYCT Reduced Fare Round Trip/CVM

Schedule will be adjusted with a revised completion in 3Q 2024 to account for:

Prolonged scope finalization with contractor to adhere to Commuter
Railroad requirements. The proposed change order issued in October 2021 is
expected to be awarded in 2Q 2022.
CVM deployment has been delayed due to changes in functional
requirements, delay in UI/UX design, and failed first article inspection testing.
OMNY Revenue System (ORS) has been delayed due to additional software
requirements.
Software requirements, including extensive testing, for weekly fare capping.
IEC forecasts a 15-month delay to overall project completion beyond the
original July 2023 Substantial Completion.
Work related to NYCT will be completed sooner for maximum benefit to Bus
and Subway customers.
IEC forecast is based on progress to date, risks to remaining activities,
impact of pending change orders and changes to stakeholder-driven
priorities.

Wow so I guess the "Metro Card" will be retired in 2024 then.  By then if it is still around who is going to us a Metro Card anyway.  It is like tokens once the Metro Card was widely available everyone used Metro Cards.  The NEXT update for OMNY will in JUNE  AND DECEMBER 2022.

The regular OMNY cars are in different colors... Black and white like this one. omny-card.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The regular OMNY cars are in different colors... Black and white like this one. omny-card.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Sorry I should have explained more clearly.  Yes what I meant was I though it will be Blue, Purple, Orange those different colors for the regular OMNY cards.

Edited by mikecintel

I went to the see the MTA meeting today online and they said they have the OMNY card retailer locator here.  I went to search on the OMNY site and I can't find it because it is buried and no where on the site does it says click her to find a retailer.  So I googled it and this is the link https://omny.info/retail-locations.  If ANYONE wants to purchase an OMNY card please click on the link I just pasted.  Also note MOST 7 Eleven stores has it  It does not say about Walgreens.  CVS only has for reload only I don't know why you can't even buy it at CVS.  I put in a zip code and it will show you where you can buy it and most of them says 7 eleven.  Then there a message blow the zip that says this "OMNY cards can be purchased at all locations except for CVS stores, which currently provide reloads only. OMNY card availability may vary by retailer".  Hope this helps for people who want to buy an OMNY card.  I will have to go the 7 eleven to buy it.  I guess I wait for a bit until the monthly unlimited for OMNY comes along because starting Feb 28, 2022 they will do a pilot for the 7 days cap fares. I am waiting until they do the 30 days when I think **hopefully** in the summer they will start it. 

By the way they said according to the slide April 2022 they will start the reduce fares and para transit for OMNY finally!  So the ball stars to roll but very slowly.

Edited by mikecintel

3 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I went to the see the MTA meeting today online and they said they have the OMNY card retailer locator here.  I went to search on the OMNY site and I can't find it because it is buried and no where on the site does it says click her to find a retailer.  So I googled it and this is the link https://omny.info/retail-locations.  If ANYONE wants to purchase an OMNY card please click on the link I just pasted.  Also note MOST 7 Eleven stores has it  It does not say about Walgreens.  CVS only has for reload only I don't know why you can't even buy it at CVS.  I put in a zip code and it will show you where you can buy it and most of them says 7 eleven.  Then there a message blow the zip that says this "OMNY cards can be purchased at all locations except for CVS stores, which currently provide reloads only. OMNY card availability may vary by retailer".  Hope this helps for people who want to buy an OMNY card.  I will have to go the 7 eleven to buy it.  I guess I wait for a bit until the monthly unlimited for OMNY comes along because starting Feb 28, 2022 they will do a pilot for the 7 days cap fares. I am waiting until they do the 30 days when I think **hopefully** in the summer they will start it. 

By the way they said according to the slide April 2022 they will start the reduce fares and para transit for OMNY finally!  So the ball stars to roll but very slowly.

I had to look for it too but it is on their site...just buried in the bottom of the page navigation instead of being put in the top bar navigation.

19 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I had to look for it too but it is on their site...just buried in the bottom of the page navigation instead of being put in the top bar navigation.

It was "not" there before when I posted the link.  They "just updated" site after I posted.  Thanks for the update.