Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

Just now, BreeddekalbL said:

@EastFlatbushLarry or any operator who has done or currently does sbs routes, i remember asking an operator a while back a question and they mentioned that you guys are supposedly to dip ur employee cards in the machine when you relieve an sbs operator, any truth to that?

No...... some relieved points has a dispatcher at the location, if not console is where we would communicate with if our reliever hasn’t showed up.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

@EastFlatbushLarry or any operator who has done or currently does sbs routes, i remember asking an operator a while back a question and they mentioned that you guys are supposedly to dip ur employee cards in the machine when you relieve an sbs operator, any truth to that?

I personally never heard that before in regards to performing a relief on a sbs line. I've only been on the 86sbs and i had pull ins & pull outs. My uncle worked the b44 sbs & 46 sbs and never once did he mention that to me. 

On 4/1/2018 at 2:21 PM, Brillant93 said:

If it did ENY and The Real would let us know. Gut feeling the next order of the LFSA would go to Manhattan and the Bronx to bump out the rest of the older LFSA buses and retire the D60s. Until bus company get their buses ENY artics will be scattered. I think half are going to Quill for the time being and the other half is on the Q52 sbs. 

You are correct. Do remember MJQ also has a buses that are TU/100th street bound along with the East New York fleet. 

6031, 6096, 6098, 6100, 6102, 6103, 6104, 6106, 6108 are for TU. 

6123, 6125 for East NY*

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

They’re beginning to construct the pedestrian bulbs on the B46 sbs stops. They are setting up temporary sbs machines to make way for construction. 

I just noticed some construction on Utica and Kings Highway. Kings Highway is not an SBS stop tho.. Although that is a local bus and SBS short turn.

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

If it's  not an SBS stop, why would they put in SBS machines? 

Utica, Avenue K, and Kings Hwy all cross each other. Its an sbs stop but they're setting up temp machines while they construct the bulbs so people have somewhere to get on until its finished. 

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

Utica, Avenue K, and Kings Hwy all cross each other. Its an sbs stop but they're setting up temp machines while they construct the bulbs so people have somewhere to get on until its finished. 

OK! I know about Avenue K... But Kings Highway tho?. 

1 minute ago, Kingjunior34 said:

No it’s Ave H

That is correct.

1 hour ago, P3F said:

There's cylindrical traffic cones on the sidewalk under the Brighton line, which are presumably covering up foundations for ticket machines.

you mean kings hwy station? Yes there are. They have yet to set up machines or anything at Flatbush avenue and Kings hwy. 

29 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Just looked at it. Making Quentin one way and closing E 12 Street will only add to congestion. Only four parking spaces will be added.

Also, their numbers can't be correct. Weekday ridership is 27,000 and 6,000 for B7. Assuming each passenger makes a round trip, that's 17,000 people. They say on Page 16 that 12,500 people use both routes daily in CB 15 alone. Even if they count those riding through CB 15 and not getting on or off, it isn't possible that two thirds of the riders could be in CB 15 considering the length of the routes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if  they are counting each one way trip as a person rather than two trips as a person which would be the correct way. How many other mistakes have they made? 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

Just looked at it. Making Quentin one way and closing E 12 Street will only add to congestion. Only four parking spaces will be added.

Also, their numbers can't be correct. Weekday ridership is 27,000 and 6,000 for B7. Assuming each passenger makes a round trip, that's 17,000 people. They say on Page 16 that 12,500 people use both routes daily in CB 15 alone. Even if they count those riding through CB 15 and not getting on or off, it isn't possible that two thirds of the riders could be in CB 15 considering the length of the routes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if  they are counting each one way trip as a person rather than two trips as a person which would be the correct way. How many other mistakes have they made? 

How would making Quentin one way add to congestion when cars already try and turn on kings hwy on that little street converging with traffic from Coney Island Avenue and existing traffic from kings hwy? I catch the bus there and they should of cut off that little piece of an intersection a long time ago. It’s dangerous for one and two it doesn’t make sense to be there. 

7 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

How would making Quentin one way add to congestion when cars already try and turn on kings hwy on that little street converging with traffic from Coney Island Avenue and existing traffic from kings hwy? I catch the bus there and they should of cut off that little piece of an intersection a long time ago. It’s dangerous for one and two it doesn’t make sense to be there. 

Cars going eastbound on Quentin now turn right onto East 12th and left onto Kings Highway avoiding the congested intersection of Kings Highway and a Coney Island Avenue. Now they would be funneled into that intersection. Similarly, cars going south on East 12th Street would no longer be able to continue down that street under one of the options. They would be forced to make a right onto Quentin, a left onto Coney Island, a left onto Kings Highway and a right back to E 12 St. That is four extra turns for nothing adding over five minutes to someone's trip and also further congesting Coney Island and Kings Highway. This is typical of the DOT nonsense we are seeing that increases traffic congestion. Then they blame the cars for it. 

24 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Cars going eastbound on Quentin now turn right onto East 12th and left onto Kings Highway avoiding the congested intersection of Kings Highway and a Coney Island Avenue. Now they would be funneled into that intersection. Similarly, cars going south on East 12th Street would no longer be able to continue down that street under one of the options. They would be forced to make a right onto Quentin, a left onto Coney Island, a left onto Kings Highway and a right back to E 12 St. That is four extra turns for nothing adding over five minutes to someone's trip and also further congesting Coney Island and Kings Highway. This is typical of the DOT nonsense we are seeing that increases traffic congestion. Then they blame the cars for it. 

It’s already congested even with that small intersection there. It should even be there as that intersection can’t even fit a regular car in it. Also a second proposal is to keep that intersection open but add parking. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

It’s already congested even with that small intersection there. It should even be there as that intersection can’t even fit a regular car in it. Also a second proposal is to keep that intersection open but add parking. 

So would be the advantage of moving that congestion from there to a block away? And making people's trips longer by forcing them to travel three extra blocks for nothing? How does that make congestion better? And what's the big deal of adding four parking spots when you are taking away over 100?

10 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

So would be the advantage of moving that congestion from there to a block away? And making people's trips longer by forcing them to travel three extra blocks for nothing? How does that make congestion better? And what's the big deal of adding four parking spots when you are taking away over 100?

Well it’s not better having that traffic converge with existing traffic, is it? How are they taking away over 100 parking spaces if the part time bus lanes are in near effect for two hours during the morning and afternoons during the weekday? In a densely populated area I think that’s a fair compromise. 

30 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Well it’s not better having that traffic converge with existing traffic, is it? How are they taking away over 100 parking spaces if the part time bus lanes are in near effect for two hours during the morning and afternoons during the weekday? In a densely populated area I think that’s a fair compromise. 

They are taking away 100 parking spaces for six hours a day which is not necessary. Two hours in the peak direction is enough. They also want to turn full time spaces into metered parking on the side streets which will be a real inconvenience to the already extremely limited parking in the area. What are the residents supposed to do? Through quarters in the meter once every hour? Some will now switch to driving instead of using mass transit because of this. Is that what we want? 

By the way I am on News 12 Brooklyn today for about ten seconds talking about the B82. 

Also see my letter: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjLF7UGvRJvZnSxalT-RfRQKY2ra

Edited by BrooklynBus