Interborough Express (Triboro RX) Discussion

GojiMet86

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, it really makes zero sense not to make the Interborough Express go to LGA. You're completing two major wish list projects in one fowl swoop. Also, about the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave issue: They're going to have to invest in a mezanine extention ala-Court Sq. There's no where to place an LRT station around Roosevelt Ave (I used to live by there). 

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I thought they were going to use the unused upper level platform at Roosevelt Avenue. I’d like for them to use it. But I don’t think it’s designed for trains to continue north of there.

I'd be concerned about tunnel width.

17 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

IMHO, it really makes zero sense not to make the Interborough Express go to LGA. You're completing two major wish list projects in one fowl swoop. Also, about the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave issue: They're going to have to invest in a mezanine extention ala-Court Sq. There's no where to place an LRT station around Roosevelt Ave (I used to live by there). 

Agreed.  Given where the IBX runs, it is perfectly suited to handle trips from southern Brooklyn to eastern Brooklyn to northwestern Queens.  They should make every effort for the IBX to connect with all nearby subways, including the (R) in Bay Ridge.  As such, for the many New Yorkers who live in the outer boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens along one of the main lines that intersects with IBX, they can have a reasonable two-seat ride into LGA.  This also avoids the issues with running (N) trains through the Astoria NIBMY neighborhood, or even worse splitting (N) trains and having some service along the Grand Central Parkway.

FWIW, one of the most popular ways of reaching LGA by transit is to take the subway to Jackson Heights and then using the bus for the remaining distance.  IBX to LGA will basically incorporate this without the bus.  Much of Manhattan and most of Queens is a one seat ride away from Jackson Heights.  One quick transfer from there can get you to LGA.

If a Bronx extension is at all feasible, then running two branches, one to Bronx and one to LGA from Jacson Heights should also work. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, mrsman said:

Agreed.  Given where the IBX runs, it is perfectly suited to handle trips from southern Brooklyn to eastern Brooklyn to northwestern Queens.  They should make every effort for the IBX to connect with all nearby subways, including the (R) in Bay Ridge.  As such, for the many New Yorkers who live in the outer boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens along one of the main lines that intersects with IBX, they can have a reasonable two-seat ride into LGA.  This also avoids the issues with running (N) trains through the Astoria NIBMY neighborhood, or even worse splitting (N) trains and having some service along the Grand Central Parkway.

FWIW, one of the most popular ways of reaching LGA by transit is to take the subway to Jackson Heights and then using the bus for the remaining distance.  IBX to LGA will basically incorporate this without the bus.  Much of Manhattan and most of Queens is a one seat ride away from Jackson Heights.  One quick transfer from there can get you to LGA.

If a Bronx extension is at all feasible, then running two branches, one to Bronx and one to LGA from Jacson Heights should also work. 

The East River is also quite shallow. There's no reason to split it across two branches, especially if you consider the construction/capacity/connection issues on the line through Hell Gate.

And Hunts Point is across the East River from LGA.

On 1/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, mrsman said:

I like the idea of a Bronx extension. The question is... Should it be an allowance for the future, or should it be included now at all costs? 

2 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I like the idea of a Bronx extension. The question is... Should it be an allowance for the future, or should it be included now at all costs? 

The MTA has not built any rail line this long in... well, ever. They choked the last couple times they tried to build big extensions (the '70s 2-phase SAS, the Archer Avenue Line, the QBL bypass, etc.)

Alas, one must learn to walk before they can run.

---

They still haven't released the big study, right? In what universe is "conventional rail" slower than a bus? Are they using horses to pull trains?

21 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

The MTA has not built any rail line this long in... well, ever. They choked the last couple times they tried to build big extensions (the '70s 2-phase SAS, the Archer Avenue Line, the QBL bypass, etc.)

Alas, one must learn to walk before they can run.

---

They still haven't released the big study, right? In what universe is "conventional rail" slower than a bus? Are they using horses to pull trains?

They want to cut corners as much as possible. To me, I don't think they truly understand the word "investment". I still don't understand how the Subway option even for it being elevated would be even more expensive compared to BRT or even LRT at least by a huge margin. 

Even with that out of the way, regional/conventional rail has better opportunities especially after the MTA themselves said they still are looking forward for a Bronx extension.

How about this. Since the LIRR plans to turn the Atlantic Branch into a shuttle. Why don’t they replace it with the IBX 2.

Line 1 would be the existing proposal

Line 2 would be the Atlantic Branch between Atlantic Terminal and Jamaica with a re-opened Woodhaven Station, maybe a station at Utica Ave.

Line 3 would be a connection to the Rockaway Branch, to serve the Rockaways. All (A)s to Lefferts.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:25 PM, N6 Limited said:

The meeting has concluded and they’ve updated the site with a fact sheet in various languages.

https://new.mta.info/project/interborough-express

Within the fact sheet, there is a link to leave a comment, and within the comment link, there’s an additional link to leave station location feedback via a map.

Am I the only one finding it damn near impossible to do that (to say nothing of seeing existing comments)?

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The link is right before and after the map showing where the line will go. But yes, it doesn’t show existing comments (which they should). It looks more like the regular screen you get when you file a complaint.

In hindsight, I probably should've highlighted less of that part...

• 2 months later...

I have sent an annotated 24 page memorandum of comments to the MTA on the proposed Interborough Express project, including suggestions for use of battery-powered railcars, on the mode and on coordination with freight. I can send you a copy if you send an Email address to jbpegram@earthlink.net  

I understand, from communications with the MTA, that it expects to receive a further report from its consultants regarding the recommended mode of operation of the Interborough Express by the end of September.

In the course of my study, I have made a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request for the detailed feasibility study, which I now expect to receive by September 1st.  I also have made a FOIL request for the MTA's study of feasibility of battery-powered railcars for the LIRR Oyster Bay branch, which was completed in February. The MTA's response to that request is overdue.

1 hour ago, jbpegram said:

I have sent an annotated 24 page memorandum of comments to the MTA on the proposed Interborough Express project, including suggestions for use of battery-powered railcars, on the mode and on coordination with freight. I can send you a copy if you send an Email address to jbpegram@earthlink.net  

I understand, from communications with the MTA, that it expects to receive a further report from its consultants regarding the recommended mode of operation of the Interborough Express by the end of September.

In the course of my study, I have made a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request for the detailed feasibility study, which I now expect to receive by September 1st.  I also have made a FOIL request for the MTA's study of feasibility of battery-powered railcars for the LIRR Oyster Bay branch, which was completed in February. The MTA's response to that request is overdue.

Yeah don't expect any of your requests to show up on time, also you couldn't have sent like a PDF or Google Docs link here instead?