never closed and all accepted proportions

I'm pretty sure this could've gone in either:

or:

Although if I had to answer, I'd say it would be a mix of hell and... Well I have no idea what to say. While there are places that the subway system finally have access to, there's just way too much going on that even the slightest thing could set off a chain reaction (probably). You also got the issue of lines just being way too long that it might just end up being unreliable. I'd go further in-depth, but this is just way too much I'd probably lose all of my braincells making a pros and cons list.

49 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I'm pretty sure this could've gone in either:

Probably better there than the Random Thoughts thread.

Take care to suit-up (HAZMAT level A) before going in. Folks be puking Skittles and rainbow noodles all over the place in there.

For some reason I doubt the pre MTA LIRR would be OK with those subway extensions deep into their territory (long island)

LIRR is much faster than the subway and still takes well over an hour to reach Babylon and some of those Ronkonkoma line stations. An NY subway service would take forever to reach Manhattan from Babylon.

I did chuckle at the (A) train being extended to Jones Beach, that was funny!

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Something is inherently wrong when subway lines would be longer than current railroad lines....

When there would be NYC subway routes serving two different states (let alone suburbs within NYS), you know full well this isn't about no damn closed NYC subway stations...

A better question is who in the hell would be paying for something like this? It's called the NYC Subway System for a reason. As a resident and taxpayer of NYC, I have ZERO interest having my tax dollars go to Long Island or Westchester to improve their transit system. Let them pay for their own needs with their tax dollars.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A better question is who in the hell would be paying for something like this? It's called the NYC Subway System for a reason. As a resident and taxpayer of NYC, I have ZERO interest having my tax dollars go to Long Island or Westchester to improve their transit system. Let them pay for their own needs with their tax dollars.

Not to mention the fact that the railroads (bar (SIR)) use wider trains than the subway...

• 2 weeks later...

@Real Greenpickles987 On the one hand, it would be amazing to be able to go from Stamford to New Brunswick for $2.75; on the other hand having the subway system swallow up the inner three quarters of all three commuter rail networks would be a massive logistical disaster. You'd have huge rolling stock compatibility issues since commuter rail cars run at 80-125mph and are physically 18 inches wider and 10 feet longer than the R44s, and the existing track in Newark is light rail, so the rolling stock is comprised of LRVs (low-floor bendy vehicles with pretty low capacity). Some of these routes are likely ~80 miles in one direction; with subway max speeds and stop spacing you'd be looking at 20mph average speeds if that, so you'd be looking at transit times of at least four hours one-way end to end on the pink C for example, and the commute from New Brunswick to midtown Manhattan would go from 45-50 minutes to two and a half hours. You're better off having a really robust subway network serving NYC proper, a mirror subway serving West New York (primarily comprised of an expanded PATH and an expanded HBLR), and robust through-running commuter rail comprised of combined MNR, LIRR, and NJT services. Maintaining separate light rail, subway, and commuter rail networks lets each type of transit play to its strength and makes for a much better overall system network.

Edited by engineerboy6561