Possible light rail merge

Real Greenpickles987

On 2/26/2022 at 12:39 PM, Real Greenpickles987 said:

Can the husdon-bergen light rail merge with the Newark light rail? it will benefit light rail transit in new jersey.

It would probably require a really expensive or destructive expansion of either unless you mean the same contractor run both (don't know how that works). 

explain yourself so we can understand and its not making any sense, are you saying do a very big expansion to "unify" the systems? if he is thinking what i am thinking he would have to demolish newark penn loops to allow for this plus a straight run via water tunnels etc to the west side ave branch and it would be very expensive 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Real Greenpickles987 said:

That's an explanation, easy, that merger would complete expending these lines to Newark and Hudson.

Ok, again... how will you accomplish that feat?? Simply saying merge the two and poof ain't cutting it...

Lol.. this dude said "perfectly fine" when asked how would that work :lol::lol::lol:

The question isn't asking how you think the service would perform if it were to come to fruition... The question is asking, how in the hell would you go about implementing it!

Anyway:

On 2/28/2022 at 2:56 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

explain yourself so we can understand and its not making any sense, are you saying do a very big expansion to "unify" the systems? if he is thinking what i am thinking he would have to demolish newark penn loops to allow for this plus a straight run via water tunnels etc to the west side ave branch and it would be very expensive 

That's exactly what he's suggesting.

• 3 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 6:25 PM, Real Greenpickles987 said:

That's an explanation, easy, that merger would complete expending these lines to Newark and Hudson.

Not easy when it comes to merging the Newark & the HB 🚈 systems. Where is NJT is gonna build from what to where and how much is gonna cost them to do so? Its like asking a guy on another subject that I don’t wanna mention here. 

• 1 month later...

I can be mistaken, but I think Hudson Bergan and Newark have different rail and wheel profiles. No way will NJT resurrect Lincoln Highway service. PATH connects the two city centers well.

About twenty years ago, I rode NJT 1 eastbound and "toured" the Hudson County Correctional Facility, where I believe the Federal streetcar went.

2 hours ago, BwyKingsbridgeCar said:

I can be mistaken, but I think Hudson Bergan and Newark have different rail and wheel profiles. No way will NJT resurrect Lincoln Highway service. PATH connects the two city centers well.

About twenty years ago, I rode NJT 1 eastbound and "toured" the Hudson County Correctional Facility, where I believe the Federal streetcar went.

Yeah, the wheel profiles were different; the Hudson trains would have been derailing.

Newark's 117 and 118 were actually original to Hudson-Bergen as 2001 and 2019, while 119-121 were supposed to have been delivered to Hudson as 2055-2057 but never used.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I want to issue a full mea culpa in light of the recent push to stop the widening of the turnpike guess what came up

To be honest I would rather they extend the Newark Light Rail to serve more of Newark, than actively compete with PATH over wetlands. That portion of the 1 isn't even the busiest for NJT anyways

9 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

To be honest I would rather they extend the Newark Light Rail to serve more of Newark, than actively compete with PATH over wetlands. That portion of the 1 isn't even the busiest for NJT anyways

I think the bigger thing is that for some people this might turn a three seat ride into a one seat ride and be much more attractive. (Not to mention potentially eliminating an extra fare or two.) How much more, I'm not sure.

I don't think this would really solve any sort of issue widening the Turnpike would address, but I don't think widening the Turnpike would either, since the bottleneck is always going to be crossing the Hudson. Extra lanes would basically just become more waiting space if you've still got the exact number of lanes across the river.