New Buses with No Side Mirrors

+Young+

I for one do not like the idea. I think you have guys on this job 20/35 years and they are trained and programmed to those mirrors being there when they look. Now they change that for these cameras will definitely take some getting used to. On this job, seconds can mean someone’s life. 

There are YouTube videos of this technology in action. It's great during rain/nighttime driving. Personally, I see more good in this than bad. Able to squeeze into tighter spots, better visibility, and saves money by eliminating the cost of replacing broken mirrors. If it stops working, bus simply goes out of service. The previous comment is also something to worry about. I've only driven for transit for a year and a half so the change won't be too drastic for me but for longtime operators, it'll be harder to adjust. 

On 6/20/2023 at 5:04 PM, lornaevo said:

I for one do not like the idea. I think you have guys on this job 20/35 years and they are trained and programmed to those mirrors being there when they look. Now they change that for these cameras will definitely take some getting used to. On this job, seconds can mean someone’s life. 

agreed. i can't argue that technology was/is going this way regardless, yet as you stated, with this job being what it is, "forgetting" if you have mirrors or monitors are crucial seconds you just wasted not being about your task and seeing what needs seeing. i have doubts with the 40-footers... MCI's/Prevosts tho? artics?? geezus, i ain't gonna front... i can't picture it. but, at some point, we'll have to adjust. the growing pains tho smhh

1 hour ago, josephnyy42 said:

There are YouTube videos of this technology in action. It's great during rain/nighttime driving. Personally, I see more good in this than bad. Able to squeeze into tighter spots, better visibility, and saves money by eliminating the cost of replacing broken mirrors. If it stops working, bus simply goes out of service. The previous comment is also something to worry about. I've only driven for transit for a year and a half so the change won't be too drastic for me but for longtime operators, it'll be harder to adjust. 

I’ve been a bus operator for WMATA for just over a year and I also share the belief that most B/O’s, especially those with lots of seniority wouldn’t acclimate to that easily. As EastFlatbushLarry mentioned above me, you need to pay attention to your spots at all times. All it takes is for you not to check your mirrors for a split second or two and then BAM!

There’s a reason why we say down here in the DMV region to new student B/O’s: “Your mirrors are your best friends. Check on them constantly.”

Edited by S78 via Hylan

35 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I’ve been a bus operator for WMATA for just over a year and I also share the belief that most B/O’s, especially those with lots of seniority wouldn’t acclimate to that easily. As EastFlatbushLarry mentioned above me, you need to pay attention to your spots at all times. All it takes is for you not to check your mirrors for a split second or two and then BAM!

There’s a reason why we say down here in the DMV region to new student B/O’s: “Your mirrors are your best friends. Check on them constantly.”

there used to be a saying at Zerega with some of the training superintendents: "ALWAYS brush your teeth." (scan those mirrors)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 46Dover said:

We basically have it on the Jersey side (NJT) on the newer MCIs (that I drive at least)

Even when I was working for a Coach Bus Company in 2021, the newest Coach Buses (I forgot the make) had cameras for backing up and turning, in addition to the standard mirrors. If I recall correctly, there was one screen and, if the directional signal was on or in reverse, the appropriate camera would show, respectively.

9 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I imagine in the future, a heads up display of some sort may also he used to project images of blind spots, etc, on all sorts of vehicles. And then the age of autonomous vehicles will probably arrive

Hopefully after I’m 6 feet under 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, traildriver said:

I'm old enough to recall when NYC buses had no right side mirror, at all...:D

And the Private lines GMC and TMC RTS's and LIbus's Orion Vs and Vs CNGs had small ass mirrors back in the day compared to thier NYCTA counterparts. Always wondered how B/Os could even see out of those things lol.