63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Can we not turn a serious conversation about a construction project into “service fantasy thread #7345217”

that is probably the most annoying thing people do around here.

Feels like every single thread some armchair with too much free time has to try to suggest a “better” way to do something…

and I keep saying in this thread it’s unnecessary, we already have plans in place for such work in our back pockets for when we need it… and nobody listens to me…

Some of these Buffs just cant help themselves.

They should stick to BVE instead...

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/2/2024 at 6:50 PM, RTOMan said:

Some of these Buffs just cant help themselves.

They should stick to BVE instead...

It's not that I'm a buff.  A lot of the things I see are things that could be done, especially in terms of one-seat rides.

And I do like the idea of the (M) to 96th full time if possible specifically because I know the area growing up there and know how densely populated the upper east side really is.  Having 6th Avenue and Broadway service on the SAS to me would make it more appealing to many, especially given who knows when we'll actually see the (T)

1 minute ago, Wallyhorse said:

I know the area growing up there

That’s the problem: you don’t live there now.

i lived in Queens a couple decades ago. I would defer to people who actually live there today.

35 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

A lot of the things I see are things that could be done, especially in terms of one-seat rides.

To paraphrase Jeff Goldbloom as Dr Ian Malcom…

“You spend so much time thinking if it CAN be done you NEVER consider if it SHOULD be done…”

your suggestions have a habit of working on the principle most people call “robbing Peter to pay Paul”… taking service away from people who use it in favor of giving more service to areas that do not and routes that people do not take.

SAS does not need two services. If the SAS passengers want 6th Ave service, they can change trains for the F across the platform once service restarts. 

41 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

specifically because I know the area growing up there

But you don’t live there NOW… you haven’t lived there for years… decades even at this point IIRC… so why should you be taken as an authority on a subject when your information isn’t even from this century…

10 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

To paraphrase Jeff Goldbloom as Dr Ian Malcom…

“You spend so much time thinking if it CAN be done you NEVER consider if it SHOULD be done…”

your suggestions have a habit of working on the principle most people call “robbing Peter to pay Paul”… taking service away from people who use it in favor of giving more service to areas that do not and routes that people do not take.

SAS does not need two services. If the SAS passengers want 6th Ave service, they can change trains for the F across the platform once service restarts. 

But you don’t live there NOW… you haven’t lived there for years… decades even at this point IIRC… so why should you be taken as an authority on a subject when your information isn’t even from this century…

On weekends, there's no harm no foul with this plan, though more crews would be needed. The (M) doesn't go to Queens weekends anyway. It would actually provide expanded service.

12 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

It's not that I'm a buff.  A lot of the things I see are things that could be done, especially in terms of one-seat rides.

And I do like the idea of the (M) to 96th full time if possible specifically because I know the area growing up there and know how densely populated the upper east side really is.  Having 6th Avenue and Broadway service on the SAS to me would make it more appealing to many, especially given who knows when we'll actually see the (T)

You lost me when you said GROWING UP THERE....

Areas change ridership changes stop living in the past....

1 hour ago, TDL said:

On weekends, there's no harm no foul with this plan, though more crews would be needed. The (M) doesn't go to Queens weekends anyway. It would actually provide expanded service.

They cant even keep  some of the crews they hiring now because they all want weekends and holidays off working nine to Five..

(Sarcasm) Yet there is truth to what im saying...

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

You lost me when you said GROWING UP THERE....

Areas change ridership changes stop living in the past....

I stay well in touch with happenings on the upper east side.  If anything, that part of Manhattan is far more dense now than when I grew up there and with the new high rise buildings continuing to go up it is going to get worse. 

I "stay well in touch" with the goings on at Disney theme parks, despite not having set foot in one in 9 years. I have friends who work there. If I said something and they corrected me about... I'd stop talking. because my past experiences cannot translate into current ones. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I stay well in touch with happenings on the upper east side.  If anything, that part of Manhattan is far more dense now than when I grew up there and with the new high rise buildings continuing to go up it is going to get worse. 

Which has nothing to do with what we are talking about...

Tell ya what you can believe whatever you want to believe its cool..

My time down here is growing shorter so whatever they do they do, as long as the checks dont bounce;)...

Edited by RTOMan

On 3/5/2024 at 10:45 AM, Wallyhorse said:

I stay well in touch with happenings on the upper east side.

I’m willing to bet a good chunk of forum members here actually live in or around the Upper East Side or travel to/through there. They’re forming their opinions based on first-hand experience. It’s an opinion derived from second-hand information versus that.

12 hours ago, CenSin said:

I’m willing to bet a good chunk of forum members here actually live in or around the Upper East Side or travel to/through there. They’re forming their opinions based on first-hand experience. It’s an opinion derived from second-hand information versus that.

I doubt many members live on the UES.  That's a pretty pricey place to live.  I go through there from time to time but that doesn't make me an expert.

But some development did occur in anticipation of the 2nd Ave Subway finally opening.  And I'm sure more development is happening between 96th and 125th in anticipation of the extension.  I've seen the Q train though going up that way in the PM rush and it was crowded but not packed.  The bigger crowd?  Going downtown from 72nd St from all the hospitals.  They used to have to either walk or bus to 68th/Lex and this is an easier walk to 70th/2nd where the entrance is.  I've done it as a patient before the Q train and it was a PITA.  Luckily I was and am fully mobile because the bus was packed too.

16 hours ago, zacster said:

I doubt many members live on the UES.  That's a pretty pricey place to live.  I go through there from time to time but that doesn't make me an expert.

But some development did occur in anticipation of the 2nd Ave Subway finally opening.  And I'm sure more development is happening between 96th and 125th in anticipation of the extension.  I've seen the Q train though going up that way in the PM rush and it was crowded but not packed.  The bigger crowd?  Going downtown from 72nd St from all the hospitals.  They used to have to either walk or bus to 68th/Lex and this is an easier walk to 70th/2nd where the entrance is.  I've done it as a patient before the Q train and it was a PITA.  Luckily I was and am fully mobile because the bus was packed too.

The (Q) in that section Between 57th st and 96th st carries, I can imagine when it goes to 125th. I just wish we had phase III already. It sucks having no subway on 2nd ave south of 63rd st.

17 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The (Q) in that section Between 57th st and 96th st carries, I can imagine when it goes to 125th. I just wish we had phase III already. It sucks having no subway on 2nd ave south of 63rd st.

Of course.  That is necessary but lets get it on 125 first.  

On 3/7/2024 at 9:35 AM, zacster said:

Yes, there has been a TON of development on the Upper East Side that has been going on since well before the SAS was built.  This is already one of the most densely populated areas in the entire country and will the new high-rises coming on board in the next few years it will only get worse.  

And yes, having the (M) going to 96th/2nd in addition to the (Q) is something very helpful for those working at the hospitals (mainly New York Presbyterian on York Avenue from 68th-70th) and Metropolitan Hospital at 97th and 2nd) in particular.  

You have HSS and MSK also on York.

But development on the UES has been going on forever, and was happening even as they were tearing down the 3rd Ave el.  Development has been happening EVERYWHERE in NYC though and you could say every neighborhood needs more transit.

Again, this is a thread about a construction project not on the non-existent merits of messing around with M service. 

“But it will help the hospitals”… would it? Maybe… but what about the people you’re taking service away from? You are HURTING more people than you are helping.

”the UES is the most…”

we know… but the Queens Corridor has a higher total population in general and it needs the M back.

you have long been showing a bias to service that affects your old neighborhood. Advocating more stations, even another unnecessary river crossing. Can you please TRY to keep that on the fantasy thread and not fill other threads?

3 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Again, this is a thread about a construction project not on the non-existent merits of messing around with M service. 

“But it will help the hospitals”… would it? Maybe… but what about the people you’re taking service away from? You are HURTING more people than you are helping.

”the UES is the most…”

we know… but the Queens Corridor has a higher total population in general and it needs the M back.

you have long been showing a bias to service that affects your old neighborhood. Advocating more stations, even another unnecessary river crossing. Can you please TRY to keep that on the fantasy thread and not fill other threads?

I have stopped replying to him regarding that subject the man is living in a fantasy land i have no time for things like that...

He is going to believe whatever he is going to believe.

Many  years ago on the BikeForums, there was a guy with the handle R600DuraAce and he used to boast endlessly about his explosive efforts on the bike.  Everybody else made fun of him.  In a thread that I posted to I said something about wanting more modern wheels to upgrade my bike.  Since I posted with my location I got a private message from this guy and  he had some decent wheels that he offered me for very little since he was also in Brooklyn and rode in Prospect Park.  He actually delivered them to my house and you know what?  He was actually the nicest guy, not at all like his online persona, which I now believe was just a put-on.  He continued to post like that for a few more years but then disappeared.

I don't know who Wallyhorse is, nor do I want to know, but he could just be yankin' our chains.

Posted (edited)

I am sure he’s probably a nice guy IRL.

all I’m asking is he contain his ideas to the fantasy thread and not try to derail other conversations.

THAT being said…

it looks like the end of the month may be the end of this project, or someone has made a mistake in posting.

the planned service changes page doesn’t show the main GO on ether the F or M after March 30th. The shuttle will be suspended over Easter weekend, probably to tear down all those work walls.

additionally, the M will be rerouted to Chambers Street on Friday the 29th ONLY.

Edited by Kamen Rider

all I’m asking is he contain his ideas to the fantasy thread and not try to derail other conversations.

THAT being said…

it looks like the end of the month may be the end of this project, or someone has made a mistake in posting.

the planned service changes page doesn’t show the main GO on ether the F or M after March 30th. The shuttle will be suspended over Easter weekend, probably to tear down all those work walls.

additionally, the M will be rerouted to Chambers Street on Friday the 29th ONLY.

Probably a mistake in posting. It took a little over 4 months for the Queens-bound tracks to be replaced, and I assume it will also take the same amount of time for the Manhattan/Brooklyn-bound tracks to be replaced (maybe a bit faster since there was the Presidents week closure too). My guess is that they do one more full week closure during Passover week (when the schools are closed and ridership will be down), and the project will be done by the 1st or 2nd week of May.

Re-routing the (M) on Friday 3/29 makes sense.  It's a holiday for many and most do take that day (Good Friday) off on religious ground even if it's not an official paid holiday.  

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

THAT being said…

Its a typo i believe one hand dont wash the other down here at times..

Project is supposed to be done in May at the earliest.

Not to mention B Div starts picking on April the1st..Yeah yeah lol...

Edited by RTOMan

I know the idea has been floated around, but I'm going to say this anyway.

Flipping the F and M East River crossing would make sense here.

The F using 63rd st practically bypassing a key section of LIC hasn't worked for a large demographic.

One way this could be solved is moving the F back to 53rd st... running the M through 63rd st as the Queens Blvd Local.

The M would essentially hit the neighborhood stops between 71st Ave, and Lexington,via 63rd st establishing  true connectivity to the "city", the upper Eastside, and the Second Avenue Subway via the Q line.

The E and F will do what they are supposed to do,carry express riders to/through the heart of Midtown,the R would serve Queens Plaza, and Lexington Avenue (a direct connection to the Lexington Avenue subway)..

Let's face it.

All subway line within the B Division interact with one another directly or indirectly.

What the MTA has done was make the best of bad decisions it has made in the past.

The choice to route express trains through 63rd was to reduce delays, and make the route useful.

The glaring missing link is, of course, the Queens Bypass route, that was essential to the 63rd st Tunnel's very existence.

The F was a compromise for the missing services, but never managed to live up to expectations.

The Night service is backwards also... however, the length of the F line makes over night express service necessary for crew comfort.

The M line has become a vital service, needing a service enhancement at both ends of the line.