63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

1 minute ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (M) used to run until 10:30pm along with the (R) but the nonstop G.O’s especially since the pandemic forced it to end at around 8:30/9pm.

If they can keep the (R) on schedule things wouldn’t be so bad but there has been a few times recently where I needed to take the train from Woodhaven Blvd to Forest Hills and the countdown clock would say 20+ minutes for the next (R) with another one being 6-7 minutes behind that one. I just give up and take the Q60. 

Actually the (M)was ending early before the pandemic hit..

As far as the (R) is concerned there was a lot of factors work train movements, lack of crews, Broadway being Broadway being the main culprit..

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Actually the (M)was ending early before the pandemic hit..

As far as the (R) is concerned there was a lot of factors work train movements, lack of crews, Broadway being Broadway being the main culprit..

Really? I always thought 4th Av was the main source of the problem for the (R) .

This is why there needs to be another off-peak local along 4th Av.

54 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Really? I always thought 4th Av was the main source of the problem for the (R) .

Misconception most of the delays start in Manhattan with that Merger by 57th Street...

12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m sorry, did you say EIGHT? I know that PM rush is over at Eight-ish, but people still use the subway at the same volume around 9-10 PM. 

Technically I said about 8:30…

which is also about the time the E and F start all local service southbound.

The 2027 M… that’s the last counter-clockwise train to depart Continental. (Yes, I’m one of those weird ducks who doesn’t like using North and South for the closest thing we have to a circle line)

the last clockwise train is the 2037 out of Met that arrives at 2156.

So you have about an hour and 20 minutes of peak direction M service arriving at Continental that doesn’t go back.

8 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Hmm 57th? And here I thought it was 34th-B’way that was the main culprit of Broadway’s Issues.

Sometimes they send (N)s up to 57th Express thinking it will help with pressure..

It dont....

11 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Sometimes they send (N)s up to 57th Express thinking it will help with pressure..

It dont....

In fact it makes it worse, because:

1. there are timers entering 49 St and 57 St-7 Av on the Broadway Express track going up

2. There are timers entering 57 St-7 Av on the Broadway Local track going up

3. Yes, the switch that would allow the (N) to switch to local north of 57 St-7 Av is I think 15 MPH instead of 13 MPH at 34 St-Herald Square, but the use of that switch would mean that local trains cannot enter the station until the express has crossed over. This used to happen in 2010-2016 when an (N) train that terminated at 57 St-7 Av during the AM rush (around 7:30AM) had to cross over to go to Astoria Blvd via Astoria Express to layup track. Trains that were actually going to Queens got delayed stuck behind the train crossing over.

4. 49 St would be underserved (but then again, it would be a small sacrifice).

Southbound, the (Q) would be delayed by having the (N) cross over south of 57 St (or north of 57 St-7 Av if a punchbox can be installed at 5 Av) in a similar manner 

12 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

They don’t load the actual GO documents to our internal site until about a week or so before hand, but it’s probably track maintenance on 53rd street. Place hasn’t gotten a break since August…

some GOs start showing up as early as one month before they happen (on the MTA site), but those are usually GOs that show up IF they are part of a series of GOs that are occurring over several weeks / weekends.

50 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

1. there are timers entering 49 St and 57 St-7 Av on the Broadway Express track going up

3. Yes, the switch that would allow the (N) to switch to local north of 57 St-7 Av is I think 15 MPH instead of 13 MPH at 34 St-Herald Square, but the use of that switch would mean that local trains cannot enter the station until the express has crossed over. This used to happen in 2010-2016 when an (N) train that terminated at 57 St-7 Av during the AM rush (around 7:30AM) had to cross over to go to Astoria Blvd via Astoria Express to layup track. Trains that were actually going to Queens got delayed stuck behind the train crossing over.

Southbound, the (Q) would be delayed by having the (N) cross over south of 57 St (or north of 57 St-7 Av if a punchbox can be installed at 5 Av) in a similar manner 

I have experienced that fun first hand...

More reasons why im glad i went switching the heck with this road...

49 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

some GOs start showing up as early as one month before they happen (on the MTA site), but those are usually GOs that show up IF they are part of a series of GOs that are occurring over several weeks / weekends.

Always found it fun i can see what work they are doing on the Non Employee site than the Employee site first...

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Always found it fun i can see what work they are doing on the Non Employee site than the Employee site first...

Yeah, there’s unconfirmed chatter the M is going to be going to Chambers again, which is the reason the current version of the GO ends mid February. I guess we’ll get some kind of clue next week.

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

the use of that switch would mean that local trains cannot enter the station until the express has crossed over. This used to happen in 2010-2016 when an (N) train that terminated at 57 St-7 Av during the AM rush (around 7:30AM) had to cross over to go to Astoria Blvd via Astoria Express to layup track. Trains that were actually going to Queens got delayed stuck behind the train crossing over.

Canal Street ((A)(C)(E)), Prince Street ((N)(Q)(R)(W)), and 59 Street ((N)(R)) are like this too. I’m curious how Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue could possibly be the exception to this issue and why it could not be applied to other way stations. (N) and (Q) train could enter on tracks 2 and 3 simultaneously without stopping. Same for the (D) and (F) on tracks 6 and 7 or the (F) and (Q) on tracks 4 and 5.

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Not to get off topic but I’m starting to get real tired of hearing complaints that 49th St needs 3 services. It does not. (Not saying you are, but in general).

The (R) and (W) service it just fine.

17 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Yeah, there’s unconfirmed chatter the M is going to be going to Chambers again, which is the reason the current version of the GO ends mid February. I guess we’ll get some kind of clue next week.

Hopefully it isn’t true. The MTA operations will find any excuse to not run the (M) on 6 Av.

or if it’s true, maybe the tracks between 47-50 Sts and 57 St also need to be replaced, which would disable the (M)s ability to go to 57 St on weekdays. I think the only time that can be done is during the 10 days that the school kids are out during Presidents’ Day week (midwinter recess from Feb 16-26) similar to how they did it last year with the 42 St switch on 8 Av

Edited by darkstar8983

9 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Hopefully it isn’t true. The MTA operations will find any excuse to not run the (M) on 6 Av.

or if it’s true, maybe the tracks between 47-50 Sts and 57 St also need to be replaced, which would disable the (M)s ability to go to 57 St on weekdays. I think the only time that can be done is during the 10 days that the school kids are out during Presidents’ Day week (midwinter recess from Feb 16-26) similar to how they did it last year with the 42 St switch on 8 Av

They are probably sending the (M) to chambers so (F) trains can go via 63rd Jamaica Bound. The (M) would have nowhere to turn  if they do that and sending the (M) via CPW during the rush wouldn't help either. It wouldn't be able to go to 96th/2nd either since it wouldn't be able to access 6th ave southbound. So chambers is the only option.

Also if they kept the (M) at 57th while (F) trains are going via 63rd in one direction, It would create delays as well.

Edited by R32 3838

On 1/19/2024 at 4:49 PM, R32 3838 said:

They are probably sending the (M) to chambers so (F) trains can go via 63rd Jamaica Bound. The (M) would have nowhere to turn  if they do that and sending the (M) via CPW during the rush wouldn't help either. It wouldn't be able to go to 96th/2nd either since it wouldn't be able to access 6th ave southbound. So chambers is the only option.

Also if they kept the (M) at 57th while (F) trains are going via 63rd in one direction, It would create delays as well.

that's silly since,  that would be a repeat of the original proposal  (have the (M) via 63 St in the open direction ( (E)(F) via 53 St) and the (E)(F)(M) via 53 St in the closed direction, minus the (M) on  Queens Blvd or 6 Av.

On 1/17/2024 at 10:33 AM, Lawrence St said:

This is why I had previously proposed (originally after politicians in Bay Ridge a few years ago called for the (R) to be split) having the (R) split into a Nassau <R> running from Bay Ridge to Canal Street (rebuilt to be a terminal with this <R> using mainly what is the current northbound (old "southbound express") track on the (J) at Canal to terminate while the northbound side is fully reopened with the "express" tracks used to relay for any <R> that terminates on the old "northbound express" track there) while the (J) save for a few rush-hour trains that would end and begin at Broad Street would terminate at Chambers Street, set up where Canal Street southbound is the transfer point between the (J) and <R> with the reverse northbound at Chambers Street (the (J) would use the "express" tracks at Chambers to terminate).  This would include this <R> based out of East New York and have in-service yard runs that end and begin and Broadway Junction while late nights and weekends would be extended to Metropolitan Avenue to absorb the late night and weekend (M) shuttles.  The (W) would become 19/7 and run from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (with during peak hours, select (W) trains ending and beginning on the tunnel level of Canal Street) and a new "Yellow (V)" operating from 9th Avenue or Bay Parkway on the (D) to Astoria via the Tunnel to accommodate those who need to reach lower Manhattan from 4th Avenue (this (V) would max at 6 TPH).  

On 1/19/2024 at 4:49 PM, R32 3838 said:

Actually, if you cut the (C) but have the (A) run express only between 145th St & Chambers St, you can fit the (M) in there.

5 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

So on the future planned service changes on MTA.info, the M GO is not listed after Presidents Day, but the F side is still listed for the rest of that week... unfortunately, it looks like this will definitely get into March at least. 

I wouldn’t rely on that this early. The (6) outage between 125th St & Hunts Point still shows detailed G.O information for when the (6) is split in two at 125th St.