63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

No (M)service in Queens for the duration of Shutdown.

Im thinking they might add extra (R) service to help out...

https://new.mta.info/article/service-changes-f-and-m-lines-starting-august-28

They should have extended the (G) to Forest Hills to compensate for the loss of the (M). Where are you going to fit all these extra (R) trains?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

They should have extended the (G) to Forest Hills to compensate for the loss of the (M). Where are you going to fit all these extra (R) trains?

They'll need ten car units not five car Units extending the (G) is a nightmare waiting to happen with CBTC issues with Line Ups in the Queens Plaza area.

My guess is they'll suspend 179 street (E) service and use those six trains.

Edited by RTOMan

12 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

extending the G wont really help those trying to go into manhattan

Waiting 30 plus mins for an (R) train wouldn't help either. Every time the (R) screws up, I have to wait more than 12 mins. Adding extra (R) service isn't going to help because the line is pure trash. The only way to somewhat make things a bit easier is turning the extra (R) trains at canal st, if they don't do that than it's pointless.

They could have extended the (G) to at least keep weekday service every 5-6 mins at local stations and used whatever the (M) isn't using since that's like half of the (M) line fleet that isn't going to be needed. Most people get off at Roosevelt to transfer anyway. The (G) would have been 8 cars instead of 5.

I get work needs to get done but they (MTA) need to stop with the shit alternatives. Bad enough I have to wait for longer periods of times for the (R) train on weekends when the road goes to shit in Brooklyn

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The (E) service from what i read will be slightly reduced since the (F) will also be running on 53rd st.

Edited by R32 3838

18 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Waiting 30 plus mins for an (R) train wouldn't help either. Every time the (R) screws up, I have to wait more than 12 mins. Adding extra (R) service isn't going to help because the line is pure trash. The only way to somewhat make things a bit easier is turning the extra (R) trains at canal st, if they don't do that than it's pointless.

Blame CBTC on those issues as well as other Line issues..

They could have extended the (G) to at least keep weekday service every 5-6 mins at local stations and used whatever the (M) isn't using since that's like half of the (M) line fleet that isn't going to be needed. Most people get off at Roosevelt to transfer anyway. The (G) would have been 8 cars instead of 5.

Again if you saw how difficult it is just to get into Queens Plaza on D2 track  or Vice versa from the (G) you'd  sing a different tune. Take it from a (F) line TO who has done it a few times. CBTC changes everything.

I get work needs to get done but they (MTA) need to stop with the shit alternatives. Bad enough I have to wait for longer periods of times for the (R) train on weekends when the road goes to shit in Brooklyn

Well you got until 2026 that's the Scheduled completion of the work in Queens that's why there are delays i wont get into the Work Zones(9 mph tops) that these trains have to go through.

The (E) service from what i read will be slightly reduced since the (F) will also be running on 53rd st.

The 179 (E) service will most likely be the service thats Cut hence the extra trains used for (R) service.

Edited by RTOMan

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Blame CBTC on those issues as well as other Line issues..

Again if you saw how difficult it is just to get into Queens Plaza on D2 track  or Vice versa from the (G) you'd  sing a different tune. Take it from a (F) line TO who has done it a few times. CBTC changes everything.

Well you got until 2026 that's the Scheduled completion of the work in Queens that's why there are delays i wont get into the Work Zones(9 mph tops) that these trains have to go through.

The 179 (E) service will most likely be the service thats Cut hence the extra trains used for (R) service.

Then shut down CBTC. If it’s impeding the ability to provide useful alternatives during. A major shutdown like this, they need useful alternatives, not this crap.

CBTC is suppose to make the system better, not have an issue every dam day.

14 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

We can't shut it down, the line now depends on it running to operate. 

Now we are getting off topic, but they need to stop taking out the old signals and fully rely on CBTC. 

The LEAST they can do is leave them in place, but switched off to not confuse operators.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Then shut down CBTC. If it’s impeding the ability to provide useful alternatives during. A major shutdown like this, they need useful alternatives, not this crap.

CBTC is suppose to make the system better, not have an issue every dam day.

That's Not how it works sorry..

46 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Now we are getting off topic, but they need to stop taking out the old signals and fully rely on CBTC. 

The LEAST they can do is leave them in place, but switched off to not confuse operators.

No we aren't Confused ALL TOs and CRS are qualified to operate in CBTC territory..

As i said 2026 all your problems will be solved plan ahead on the weekends that's all im going to say.

They still got to do Kew Gardens East.

Edited by RTOMan

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Waiting 30 plus mins for an (R) train wouldn't help either. Every time the (R) screws up, I have to wait more than 12 mins. Adding extra (R) service isn't going to help because the line is pure trash.

A train ((G)) that can get you to the nearest transfer station is better than none ((R)) at all. 🙂

8 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

Is it too much of a hassle for the MTA to have the (E)(F)(M)trains running via the 53rdst tunnel in both directions, that way (M) trains would be able to serve the QBL local stations.

The first Proposal Had that Until the Line Managers who KNOW the railroad in Queens made them Folks in OP trash that silly Idea.

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

If they could fit all the peak (E)(F)(M) trains in 53rd Street, they would

They know they cant well Now they know.. Kudos to the Line Managers for SHOWING them that it cant work..

All they need is a Zone Controller failure in the Queens Plaza area then there's No movement at all to Queens.

Some of These folks don't seem to understand that in the post it seems.

Edited by RTOMan

5 hours ago, RTOMan said:

He will be ok and adapt like everyone else will.

I have been adapting to the GO's on queens blvd for over 20 plus years. I get that the CBTC has it's own issues but the majority of the time (on weekends) when the (R) is delayed, It's mainly because of the GO in Brooklyn. During the week It's not as bad because the (M) is running with the (R).  As long as those extra (R) trains turn around in Manhattan, it shouldn't be bad.

13 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

Is it too much of a hassle for the MTA to have the (E)(F)(M)trains running via the 53rdst tunnel in both directions, that way (M) trains would be able to serve the QBL local stations.

They barely had enough room before the (F) was sent via 63rd. Having the (E)(F) and (M) in one tunnel would cause problems. The (F) uses a lot of trains hence why they are reducing the (E) slightly and this would allow them to run more (R) trains.

25 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I have been adapting to the GO's on queens blvd for over 20 plus years. I get that the CBTC has it's own issues but the majority of the time (on weekends) when the (R) is delayed, It's mainly because of the GO in Brooklyn. During the week It's not as bad because the (M) is running with the (R).  As long as those extra (R) trains turn around in Manhattan, it shouldn't be bad.

They barely had enough room before the (F) was sent via 63rd. Having the (E)(F) and (M) in one tunnel would cause problems. The (F) uses a lot of trains hence why they are reducing the (E) slightly and this would allow them to run more (R) trains.

The (F) is also going to be reduced. There’s only going to be I think 25 TPH running on the (E)(F) instead of 29 TPH (-2 trains from each the (E) and (F)) because of the 53 St tunnel. Those extra R160s can run on the (R), and yes this may mean that the (N)(W) will have fewer trains running on its route to accommodate the extra (R)s since the 59 St tunnel is also at capacity 

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (F) is also going to be reduced. There’s only going to be I think 25 TPH running on the (E)(F) instead of 29 TPH (-2 trains from each the (E) and (F)) because of the 53 St tunnel. Those extra R160s can run on the (R), and yes this may mean that the (N)(W) will have fewer trains running on its route to accommodate the extra (R)s since the 59 St tunnel is also at capacity 

And this is all why I would have worked to return the northbound side of Canal Street and Bowery on the (J) to active service and worked on making the (J) stop at Canal back into the terminal it once was with the idea of moving the <R> to Nassau and having the <R> run 95th-Canal on the (J) while the (J) with limited exceptions terminated at Chambers coming southbound (I noted how I would do this in numerous prior posts elsewhere and pols in Brooklyn were looking for the (R) to be split anyway).  Eliminating the (R) from Broadway for this, I would then streamline Broadway this way:

(N) and (Q) remain as they are now with likely additional (N) service to/from Astoria.

(W) becomes the full-time (19/7) local running from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (replacing the <R>) with overflow trains that can't terminate at Whitehall ending southbound and beginning northbound on the tunnel level of Canal Street. 

If necessary, a new "Yellow (V)" would operate (maximum 5 TPH) between Bay Parkway on the (D) and Astoria to supplement the (W) in lower Manhattan that would be instead of having extra (N) service to Astoria.

This would IMO streamline Broadway and allow for extra trains from the Broadway line to operate via the tunnel to 71-Continental. 

35 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

And this is all why I would have worked to return the northbound side of Canal Street and Bowery on the (J) to active service and worked on making the (J) stop at Canal back into the terminal it once was with the idea of moving the <R> to Nassau and having the <R> run 95th-Canal on the (J) while the (J) with limited exceptions terminated at Chambers coming southbound (I noted how I would do this in numerous prior posts elsewhere and pols in Brooklyn were looking for the (R) to be split anyway).  Eliminating the (R) from Broadway for this, I would then streamline Broadway this way:

(N) and (Q) remain as they are now with likely additional (N) service to/from Astoria.

(W) becomes the full-time (19/7) local running from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (replacing the <R>) with overflow trains that can't terminate at Whitehall ending southbound and beginning northbound on the tunnel level of Canal Street. 

If necessary, a new "Yellow (V)" would operate (maximum 5 TPH) between Bay Parkway on the (D) and Astoria to supplement the (W) in lower Manhattan that would be instead of having extra (N) service to Astoria.

This would IMO streamline Broadway and allow for extra trains from the Broadway line to operate via the tunnel to 71-Continental. 

ah yes, because screwing over a lot more people/crews is the answer....

I don't know if the answer is given to the changes happening in August 28th, is the Shuttle running between Lexington Av-63 St up to 21st St-Queensbridge going to be out of Coney Island Yard or the R160s out of Jamaica Yard?