63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

I can't see them letting the (F) go local late nights. People already have ridiculous bus rides just to get to Jamaica to make everything local would set everyone off. CBTC work is one thing but I don't see the MTA being let off the hook for that one. 

Already seen the Supplement for the week of the first..

(E) and (F) service local during the Overnights...

CBTC work isn't close to being done in Queens..

Edited by RTOMan

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Already seen the Supplement for the week of the first..

(E) and (F) service local during the Overnights...

CBTC work isn't close to being done in Queens..

But will the overnight local service hours be changed, to start AFTER the last (M) train runs? Especially Jamaica-bound, local (E)(F) service starts at 8:30PM, even though the (M) runs thru to 71 Av until about 9:30PM (leaving Queens Plaza)

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

But will the overnight local service hours be changed, to start AFTER the last (M) train runs? Especially Jamaica-bound, local (E)(F) service starts at 8:30PM, even though the (M) runs thru to 71 Av until about 9:30PM (leaving Queens Plaza)

Yes i believe so first (F) local  in queens out of STL will be the 2045..

(M) should be out of the way by the time it gets to queens but not the(R) prob one of the last ones.

16 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

Ironically, that's part of the problem right there. Everyone loves the (E)(F) down 53rd st so much so that by the 1990s Lex/53rd was dangerously overcrowded. I want the (F)/(M) swap too, but that might be part of the MTA's calculus. 

I actually feel having (E)(F) at Lex/53 will reduce crowding there than having (E)(M). People generally wait for the next express train, not the next train. An (M) train passing by will be much less effective at clearing the platform than an (F) train, meaning almost twice as many passengers will build up before the next (E).

The MTA's EIS in 1989 showed the swap will reduce crowding in trains on all three routes, as someone elaborated here.

The operations planning people want route consistency as much as reasonably possible. The N running via the bridge during the day vs the tunnel at night does not add new stops, it’s effectively just running on an express shortcut.

move the F back and forth between 63rd street and 53rd (unless you expand M service which is a whole other can of worms) every day is not something they condone at this time, especially at this time while CBTC East work is still ongoing.

i mean, it took the better part of 60 years for someone to say “you know, maybe the M should at least go to Essex street on the weekend at very least”*, sending it back to Queens is going to take a lot of justification to get people to agree with the idea.

(*I still complain openly that the Myrtle el, which for the record is my home line, is the only two transfer to midtown zone at night, but that’s a rant for another day)

3 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Yes i believe so first (F) local  in queens out of STL will be the 2045..

(M) should be out of the way by the time it gets to queens but not the(R) prob one of the last ones.

Ahh okay. Yeah wouldn’t make sense for the (E)(F) to start local service while the (M)(R) are still rolling (especially Jamaica-bound since the latter two end service at 71 Av, which delays the thru (E)(F).) Manhattan bound isn’t so bad long as the (R) pulls in RIGHT WHEN it’s scheduled to leave 71 Av (no idling), so the (E)(F)(R) can run on the local track starting at 8:20PM after the last (M), unless we want to save the local service until 10:30PM when the last (R) leaves 71 Av

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The operations planning people want route consistency as much as reasonably possible. The N running via the bridge during the day vs the tunnel at night does not add new stops, it’s effectively just running on an express shortcut.

move the F back and forth between 63rd street and 53rd (unless you expand M service which is a whole other can of worms) every day is not something they condone at this time, especially at this time while CBTC East work is still ongoing.

i mean, it took the better part of 60 years for someone to say “you know, maybe the M should at least go to Essex street on the weekend at very least”*, sending it back to Queens is going to take a lot of justification to get people to agree with the idea.

(*I still complain openly that the Myrtle el, which for the record is my home line, is the only two transfer to midtown zone at night, but that’s a rant for another day)

The tunnel (N) most definitely adds new stops: Court St, Boro Hall, Whitehall, Rector and Cortlandt. 

FWIW I do sympathize with your point, it's not convenient for either the MTA internally nor the riding public when one service has three or four different service patterns in a single day (see 1990s (B)(C)(F) trains). My own personal proposal features an expansion of (M) QB service to weekends, leaving only late nights to contend with, in which case all riders know stuff changes all around past 11pm or so. Having (F) on 53rd all times except late nights (late nights 63rd st) isn't beyond the pale in context of changes the system already undergoes. 

4 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

The tunnel (N) most definitely adds new stops:

No it does not, not in the sense I was aiming for. The tunnel is the default, the bridge is running express. 

imagine if there were stations on the Manhattan bridge and it’s approaches. Imagine if Myrtle Ave was still open. That’s what I’m talking about.

4 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

all riders know stuff changes all around past 11pm or so

that is painting with an extremely wide brush. Unfortunately, not everyone is that smart. Some of them are so set in thier ways that even the most minor change throws them for a loop.

as for the rest:

it cuts service frequency to Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island and Lexington-63rd, because the M can never match the E and F for frequency (Williamsburg bridge)

it gives riders at those stations longer journeys into queens along with the shorter, more crowded trains. You think someone used to “next stop Roosevelt Avenue” is going to be happy with 36th?

It keeps the G a two transfer connection to the QBL locals as it is now due to the GO, since court square will only have expresses, meaning anyone who wants 36th to 65th will have to crowd in the E and F the one stop and then wait for the R at the plaza.

In summer 2001, over two weekends, transit simulated rush hour service. One weekend had the F staying on 53rd and the then V running via 63rd. Then it was flipped for the second weekend.

the F went via 63rd once the connection opened full time for a reason.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

The tunnel (N) most definitely adds new stops: Court St, Boro Hall, Whitehall, Rector and Cortlandt.

In the same way that the Lexington Avenue tunnel above the express tracks adds stations like 51 Street, or that Northern Boulevard is an extra station along a separate tunnel and that the (E) and (F) are not really skipping it? lol

Edited by CenSin

Looks like they running 1077-S01 on Monday so the (F) is running normal via 63rd street..

(E)  limited service resumes to 179....

(M) and (R) service resumes as well...

Wonder if the (R) still drops out at the Plaza?

34 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Looks like they running 1077-S01 on Monday so the (F) is running normal via 63rd street..

(E)  limited service resumes to 179....

(M) and (R) service resumes as well...

Wonder if the (R) still drops out at the Plaza?

Id assume the queens plaza R dropouts will continue until they finish CBTC East

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

That’s been in the timetable for… well.. forever…

Believe it or not when i first picked over in Queens the (M) use to end much later at CTL close to 2300....

Some of those late (M) jobs cleared after 0100 at 179...

7 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Believe it or not when i first picked over in Queens the (M) use to end much later at CTL close to 2300....

Some of those late (M) jobs cleared after 0100 at 179...

I remember those days. The last (M) to Forest Hills used to arrived after midnight and sometimes even after the last (R) would arrived.

I mean, I remember as well… but remembering doesn’t get me a one seat ride home from midtown after 9 or a two seat one after midnight…

which is something I have long complained about. Starting from center of Times Square station, standing outside the old record store… you can travel to every single station in the system with, at most, just one transfer 24/7*….

EXCEPT for the non-transfer stations on the Myrtle Avenue El in the midnight hours.

(*barring GOs of course)