Coach USA to discontinue ONE Bus service

DCTransitFilms

What routes do Rockland Coaches even have left?

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Transdev(surprisingly) is next, actually.

NJT will take over Transdev operations on October 1st.

3 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Contract for Transdev is up?

Earlier this year (around when Spring ended or so) when I took the #836 Asbury, the b/o (who actually dapped up everyone that boarded & (left through the front door) - Me included) was talking to a couple passengers that was sitting towards the front of the bus & had mentioned that "our contract was up next year." (his words)... Dude appeared to be pretty happy about it, but that's neither here nor there... I'd like to know what happened in the meantime between time for NJT to take over those Monmouth routes this October....

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What routes do Rockland Coaches even have left?

These are the routes and service levels of what's left below, more or less. They should actually put out timetables even if just online, using the website sucks. 

Weekdays

• 9 (New City to PABT): 6 AM trips from New City (4 to PABT, 2 to GWB) & 4 PM trips to New City (2 from PABT, 2 from GWB)
  • 11 (New City to PABT): 2 AM and 2 PM trips each way
  • 20 (Nanuet to PABT): 6 AM trips, 5 PM trips
  • 45 (Mount Ivy to PABT): 8 AM trips (3 from Spring Valley) & 1 PM trip from Spring Valley to PABT, 12 PM trips from PABT to New City
  • 47/49 (New City to PABT): 5:30 AM - 4:00 PM from to PABT, 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM to New City 

Saturdays

11X (Spring Valley to PABT): 7 AM - 9 PM to PABT, 8:30 AM - 10:30 PM (Every 120 minutes)

I think Rockland Coaches, with its paltry levels of service and whatnot, will actually hold on probably for a while. Reason being that they've been consolidating operations to Paramus with relative ease here. Way I see it, basically anything they can't take with them to Paramus is a goner. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

These are the routes and service levels of what's left below, more or less. They should actually put out timetables even if just online, using the website sucks. 

Weekdays

• 9 (New City to PABT): 6 AM trips from New City (4 to PABT, 2 to GWB) & 4 PM trips to New City (2 from PABT, 2 from GWB)
  • 11 (New City to PABT): 2 AM and 2 PM trips each way
  • 20 (Nanuet to PABT): 6 AM trips, 5 PM trips
  • 45 (Mount Ivy to PABT): 8 AM trips (3 from Spring Valley) & 1 PM trip from Spring Valley to PABT, 12 PM trips from PABT to New City
  • 47/49 (New City to PABT): 5:30 AM - 4:00 PM from to PABT, 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM to New City 

Saturdays

11X (Spring Valley to PABT): 7 AM - 9 PM to PABT, 8:30 AM - 10:30 PM (Every 120 minutes)

I think Rockland Coaches, with its paltry levels of service and whatnot, will actually hold on probably for a while. Reason being that they've been consolidating operations to Paramus with relative ease here. Way I see it, basically anything they can't take with them to Paramus is a goner. 

Why does NJT have to subsidize service in Rockland County?

43 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Do the fares collected north of the border really exceed the additional operating costs?

My guess says yes. At $4.50/mile, how many Rockland customers do you need for an additional 10 miles? Back of the napkin calculation yields about 5 passengers to cover the sector in each direction. Most buses carry more than 5 passengers into Rockland County.

41 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

My guess says yes. At $4.50/mile, how many Rockland customers do you need for an additional 10 miles? Back of the napkin calculation yields about 5 passengers to cover the sector in each direction. Most buses carry more than 5 passengers into Rockland County.

Does that include the operator's pay?

One of the things that I like to do is survey the current field conditions on a given route. Here is what I have seen so far on Route 31:

315pm (just missed, left on time)

343pm - Bus 6546 - 15 pax

344pm - Bus 6544 - 2 pax

414pm - Bus 6536 - 17 pax

415pm - Bus 6538 - 9 pax

451pm - Bus 6527 - 22 pax

They have the buses to run almost 15 minute service and yet they are running every 30 minutes. A little dispatching would go a long way in this case. It looks like most customers are using the Bus Card.

1 hour ago, JAzumah said:

One of the things that I like to do is survey the current field conditions on a given route. Here is what I have seen so far on Route 31:

315pm (just missed, left on time)

343pm - Bus 6546 - 15 pax

344pm - Bus 6544 - 2 pax

414pm - Bus 6536 - 17 pax

415pm - Bus 6538 - 9 pax

451pm - Bus 6527 - 22 pax

They have the buses to run almost 15 minute service and yet they are running every 30 minutes. A little dispatching would go a long way in this case. It looks like most customers are using the Bus Card.

Yeah, the demand is  still there along S. Orange av..... I mean, I understood getting rid of those Maplewood trips, but I still think they should've kept some service to/from Livingston Mall (or even tried their hand sending buses to Short Hills Mall instead, after serving St. Barnabas Hosp.).... At this rate, if buses aren't going to pan past S. Orange Center, they may as well have all trips ending at Dover st....

Anyway, with that information you listed, was that of buses heading towards Dover st. or towards Newark-Penn?

Not much to look at today.

I got to Newark Penn Station around 500pm. Around 15 minutes later, I ran into a guy that was waiting there for 2 hours. He had just missed a 31 earlier and he knew he had to walk down to Newark Penn Station and he said that THREE 31s had passed him in the other direction within 5 min of each other.

The 31 showed up just before 530pm...THREE of them. My guess is that the next bus from Newark Penn Station on that line will be 7pm.

On 9/15/2023 at 5:54 PM, JAzumah said:

Not much to look at today.

I got to Newark Penn Station around 500pm. Around 15 minutes later, I ran into a guy that was waiting there for 2 hours. He had just missed a 31 earlier and he knew he had to walk down to Newark Penn Station and he said that THREE 31s had passed him in the other direction within 5 min of each other.

The 31 showed up just before 530pm...THREE of them. My guess is that the next bus from Newark Penn Station on that line will be 7pm.

Youd think a profit-focused company would care about running service in a way that generates a profit

http://www.eastorange-nj.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=382

“NJ TRANSIT is assessing the impacts of Coach’s disappointing decision to discontinue O.N.E. bus service in its entirety with limited advance notice to customers, particularly after recently scaling back service on these same routes earlier this summer with a similar lack of advance notice. Part of NJ TRANSIT’s assessment is identifying the alternatives already available on existing NJ TRANSIT bus service. NJ TRANSIT will continue to work with elected officials and communities, as well as private carriers, to investigate potential solutions. However, NJ TRANSIT may not have the resources necessary to replace all of the private bus services that are being discontinued. The subsidies are in addition to the approximately 150 buses that NJ TRANSIT has given to Coach USA at no cost.” 

2 hours ago, JAzumah said:

“NJ TRANSIT is assessing the impacts of Coach’s disappointing decision to discontinue O.N.E. bus service in its entirety with limited advance notice to customers, particularly after recently scaling back service on these same routes earlier this summer with a similar lack of advance notice. Part of NJ TRANSIT’s assessment is identifying the alternatives already available on existing NJ TRANSIT bus service. NJ TRANSIT will continue to work with elected officials and communities, as well as private carriers, to investigate potential solutions. However, NJ TRANSIT may not have the resources necessary to replace all of the private bus services that are being discontinued. The subsidies are in addition to the approximately 150 buses that NJ TRANSIT has given to Coach USA at no cost.” 

LOL Transit 

4 hours ago, JAzumah said:

I mean I can’t blame NJT. Everyone is expecting them to move heaven and earth but they can only do so much.