The New South Ferry Station will be complete in Decmber (2008).Updated images.

Kexpress

The MTA is not going to put platform doors because the station is set to open in less than a month, and the MTA is crying broke out their ass right now (which btw I think is the real deal this time).

Theres alot to do with platform doors. You can't just install them and bam, your done. No. Theres a process and a series of things thats got to be done.

We'll see come 12/21/2008 or even earlier when the station is 100% complete and see some pre-service pictures of the completed station.

The MTA is not going to put platform doors because the station is set to open in less than a month, and the MTA is crying broke out their ass right now (which btw I think is the real deal this time).

Theres alot to do with platform doors. You can't just install them and bam, your done. No. Theres a process and a series of things thats got to be done.

We'll see come 12/21/2008 or even earlier when the station is 100% complete and see some pre-service pictures of the completed station.

Yes I also thought that they would need to be tested some time after installed, and the time is too short. All I see in the use of them is to prevent the tracks to be with littering.

I have to stick with Pablo on this one. While it may look like PSD installation, there aren't any doors and there is a long process behind the installation. You have to run tests on the doors and make sure that the train doors are exactly aligned with the doors and that they open the doors in sync with the train doors. There is a separate crew that is responsible for the PSDs.

The station will not have platform screen doors.

Also I should point out that Platform screen doors are not perfect. It's not like putting a storm door in your house by the patio. Remember that this will require train operators to hit the mark perfectly like Union Square or the doors won't open (like the Union Sq gap fillers won't come out if the T/O misses). Also you will need some sort of indication circuit to run the length of the screen doors to ensure they are closed and locked, and somehow relay this information to the train so that if someone is caught in the screen doors (and thus would get sanded down to a pulp by a moving train that closed it's doors right next to their body), the train can't move. Otherwise (MTA) is exposing itself to all kinds of potential lawsuits when people inevitably force their way on trains and get injured or worse.

Just because they'll cut down on 12-9s doesn't mean they're free from problems.

Archived