South Ferry To Be Abandoned!

R1Toasty

I was quite irked by the news. South Ferry is getting replaced by a new version. What's to befall the old one? Abandoned! South Ferry, abandoned! A station rich with history and blatantly obvious secrets, gone! Some of you might know about this already, and last time I was there, I didn't give much though to the construction, but with this knowledge I feel horrible. They're going to give up on it! MTA if you want room for longer trains use the inner loop, I wanna see it.

Geez, going the way of City Hall :P. I do have a place in my heart for those curves... and SF is there too, but will be even more special in 2008. Alas, I understand the desire for a new station, I have mixed feelings... grrr. As long as the transit museum will hold a tour once it's closed and I can see the inner loop, I will be happy.

Read about it here. Let's hear your feelings on this.

I like curved stations too since they are unique. The good thing with curved stations is that the train does not have to reverse direction so it keeps the flow moving. The only con with curved stations are that they are loud and only half of the train is able to open.

2 trains turn around through the outer loop? I do like abandoned stations, but I can't get to 'em so there are mixed feelings there (dang it Transit museum, hold more tours!). I just kinda like SF, even if I can't hear anything after being in it. Hate seein' the curves get replaced by the not so curved ones... just kinda takes away from the mysterious air of the subway... but abandoned stations add to it :P

2 trains turn around through the outer loop?

No. That was just a G.O. where the (2) continued via the (1) line south of Chambers Street, loop around and switch over to the tracks that leads into Bowling Green on the Lexingtion Avenue line. Then (2) traveled north via the Lexington Avenue line and south via the 7th Avenue line. The (5) did the exact same thing except in reverse during that G.O. After Bowling Green it would follow the same tracks that it uses to normally loop and turn around back in Bowling Green, except the (5) would switch over to the 7th Avenue line during this G.O. making go north via the 7th Avenue line and south via the Lexington Avenue line.

No. That was just a G.O. where the (2) continued via the (1) line south of Chambers Street, loop around and switch over to the tracks that leads into Bowling Green on the Lexingtion Avenue line. Then (2) traveled north via the Lexington Avenue line and south via the 7th Avenue line. The (5) did the exact same thing except in reverse during that G.O. After Bowling Green it would follow the same tracks that it uses to normally loop and turn around back in Bowling Green, except the (5) would switch over to the 7th Avenue line during this G.O. making go north via the 7th Avenue line and south via the Lexington Avenue line.

Oh, ok. Thanks.

i remember that, it was one very crazy GO. i loved those announcements they played over the speakers, "This is a Bronx-bound 5 Express train via the 7th Avenue Line" and everyone was like HUH??? WTF???

• 5 years later...

throwback sundays? lmao 

while we're on the topic, I can't wait till they open up the old loop again.. I barely got any photos there, I love that loop.

Totally. Classic historic IRT architecture and engineering knowhow trapped in time.

Archived